Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

Jambo-Jimbo
12 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Some make it fairly obvious. They will offer you different prices when you do your flight search. Fully flexible, semi flexible and non flexible etc. But I'm sure with others it isn't clear.

KLM are arseholes. For flights between Edinburgh and Amsterdam it is considerably cheaper to buy a return ticket than it is a one way. My cousin had to buy a new ticket to fly home when we were over once because he had changed his plans and didn't use his outward ticket, so they cancelled the return. They wanted to charge about 500 quid for a one way flight to Edinburgh, but instead he bought another return for about a fifth of the price.

Hotel sites are the same, pay at hotel, cancel up to 48 hrs before, pay everything up front now etc etc etc.

I don't know what ticket he bought tbh, he'll need to go through the Ts & Cs.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• graygo

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

davemclaren
14 minutes ago, theshed said:

I just got my money back from EasyJet..... 6 weeks I waited 

There is hope then. 

highlandjambo3
On 15/06/2020 at 08:32, theshed said:

I know it’s not a summer holiday next year but I just booked flights to Poland for weekend in December and the flights were £14 each way.... cheap cheap 

I went down to Hyde park for the Christmas market last year.  2 return flights from Inverness, 3 nights hotel and breakfast and, car hire all for £290.

The deals are there if you look about and do the donkey work yourself.  

EasyJet are good at sending you away somewhere on the cheap but recoup the money by charging a lot to get you back but, if you are a flexible traveler, try looking for through the week deals and try to select the cheap return option, even if your 2-3 day stay needs to be extended by a day.

Of course, not sure how the travel industry will be working in the near future regarding flights.

redtipsjambo
55 minutes ago, OBE said:

Your card provider/bank web site should direct you to the best option. If not sure, just google bank card chargeback procedure.

Bank are not taking phonecalls for chargeback just  now 

been directed to use dispute form

Thanks for info

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I went down to Hyde park for the Christmas market last year.  2 return flights from Inverness, 3 nights hotel and breakfast and, car hire all for £290.

The deals are there if you look about and do the donkey work yourself.  

EasyJet are good at sending you away somewhere on the cheap but recoup the money by charging a lot to get you back but, if you are a flexible traveler, try looking for through the week deals and try to select the cheap return option, even if your 2-3 day stay needs to be extended by a day.

Of course, not sure how the travel industry will be working in the near future regarding flights.

Flexibility can work hugely in your favour.

Two or three years ago I had looked at spending 3 days at Pompeii, staying in a hotel right across from the site, I'd also go up to Herculaneum & Naples and maybe even take in one or two of villas along the coast if I had time.

By far the best and cheapest way was to fly Easyjet out and Jet2 back, not only was it cheaper than a return from either of them, you also had an extra day in resort, Easyjet got you there mid morning meaning you had a good 3 or 4 hours left on your first day and as Jet2 flew back in the evening you had at least half a day free to explore again, thus meaning you had a free day allowing you to take in Herculaneum or Naples as well.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I don't know what ticket he bought tbh, he'll need to go through the Ts & Cs.

Has he been onto the KLM website with his booking reference and tried to change the flight himself? 

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, Gulpener said:

Has he been onto the KLM website with his booking reference and tried to change the flight himself? 

Yip, didn't see anything about changing it on his booking, so he said.

Tbh it's starting to look like they've bought non-flexable tickets and unless the flights get cancelled they could be out of pocket by £2300.

5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yip, didn't see anything about changing it on his booking, so he said.

Tbh it's starting to look like they've bought non-flexable tickets and unless the flights get cancelled they could be out of pocket by £2300.

I buy dozens of flights per year with KLM and change a few of them, always the cheapest fare type. I've never had any which couldn't be changed, albeit with a change fee.

Maybe better phoning then as you said, I've had queuing times of less than 5 mins the last couple of months.

davemclaren
1 hour ago, redtipsjambo said:

Bank are not taking phonecalls for chargeback just  now 

been directed to use dispute form

Thanks for info

Yip. Be prepared to wait for a reply as well. 

manaliveits105

Applied thru Barclaycard for refund on my April Ryan Air flights as Ryan air were just prefabricating - credit now in my account which I assume was via Barclaycard - even though Ryan Air said recently I was now in their refund Q . Hope I don't get 2 refunds !!

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Gulpener said:

I buy dozens of flights per year with KLM and change a few of them, always the cheapest fare type. I've never had any which couldn't be changed, albeit with a change fee.

Maybe better phoning then as you said, I've had queuing times of less than 5 mins the last couple of months.

Good to know, Cheers 👍

davemclaren
1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Applied thru Barclaycard for refund on my April Ryan Air flights as Ryan air were just prefabricating - credit now in my account which I assume was via Barclaycard - even though Ryan Air said recently I was now in their refund Q . Hope I don't get 2 refunds !!

That would be a bonus. 

Jambo-Jimbo

Just had a look to see what our cancelled holiday to Lanzarote this year would cost us for next year.

Same details, exact same holiday, just over £500 dearer, five hundred quid more :rofl:, Jet2 your taking the piss, £2760 for 3 people for 14 nights self catering in Lanzarote.  Utterly no way am I paying that, not a cat in hell's chance.

Jet2 and quite probably the others had better watch out that they don't price themselves out of business.

Shanks said no

Received an email from a hotel we use in Crete, announcing they are reopening on 15th July, interesting take on what is in store at some hotels

General Point of View
We use powerful and efficient disinfectants such as ozone hygienization to fight all kinds of microorganisms. We disinfect all hotel facilities, transit areas and public areas regularly.

All our facilities will be at your disposal except for the Sauna and Jacuzzi.

Rooms
New reinforced cleaning protocols of our rooms with great emphasis on knobs, switches, e.t.c.

Each room will be equipped with hand sanitizers.

Restaurants
All our food products will be served by professionals at the buffet or will be served in individual portions to avoid contact.

The restaurant tables will be at a certain distance for the safety of all guests.

Bars
The restaurant tables will be at a certain distance for the safety of all guests.

We will provide an evening traditional program, while kindly asking you to keep the distance and not dance.

Pool and Beach Area
All exterior surfaces will be neatly and daily disinfected by our trained staff.

Special emphasis will be given on the Pool and Beach area.

Every sunbed and lounge chair will be disinfected after each use.

Sunbeds and umbrellas at the pool will be at a certain distance for the safety of all guests.

At the end of the day, Pool areas will be completely disinfected once again.

Unknown user
2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Received an email from a hotel we use in Crete, announcing they are reopening on 15th July, interesting take on what is in store at some hotels

General Point of View
We use powerful and efficient disinfectants such as ozone hygienization to fight all kinds of microorganisms. We disinfect all hotel facilities, transit areas and public areas regularly.

Rooms
New reinforced cleaning protocols of our rooms with great emphasis on knobs, switches, e.t.c.

Restaurants
All our food products will be served by professionals at the buffet or will be served in individual portions to avoid contact.

Bars

We will provide an evening traditional program, while kindly asking you to keep the distance and not dance.

Pool and Beach Area
All exterior surfaces will be neatly and daily disinfected by our trained staff.

Sunbeds and umbrellas at the pool will be at a certain distance for the safety of all guests.

Interesting, where in crete is that?

Edited by Smithee

Jambo-Jimbo
8 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

General Point of View

Rooms

Restaurants

Bars

Pool and Beach Area

The bits I've highlighted in red are all things which I'd read a few weeks ago that might be happening, seems that they are now.

Food - End of the traditional buffet, that's now gone, which isn't such a bad thing as it could be a manic scramble sometimes, plus it stops people piling their plates high with food that they then waste half of.

Restaurant/Bar - Less people allowed in at any one time, meaning people will have to book a table in advance or will be set allocated eating times upon arrival, which won't suit many people.  Having to wait and queue is going to be the new normal I fear, and this will apply not just at the hotel but also at many restaurants outwith the hotel.  Now queuing isn't really an issue for us Brits, unfortunately not every other nationality have quite grasped the concept of joining the queue, especially joining the back of the queue, lots of tensions there methinks.

Pool - Social distancing for the sunbeds, means fewer sunbeds around the pool, it can often be a nightmare getting a sunbed to begin with, it'll be near impossible now.

Every one of the above new proposals will result in extra expense for the hotel, either in the form of larger quantities of cleaning products or even better quality disinfectants, but more than likely also more cleaning staff and restaurant/bar staff, and who do you think is going to pay for all that? 

Yip the guests in higher room rates and increased prices at the restaurant & bar, add on that the airlines will be trying to recoup as much as they can and the result is that many holidays are going to cost much more than before.

Indeed I posted last night that the exact same holiday we were due to go this year was costing just over £500 more next year at the same time of year etc.

On 16/06/2020 at 09:52, davemclaren said:

Got my jet2 refund a week after them cancelling. Well done jet2. 

Still nothing from Ryanair or Easyjet over a month later. 

Got my money from Jet2 this morning, nearly 10 weeks since flight was cancelled

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Got my money from Jet2 this morning, nearly 10 weeks since flight was cancelled

Strange disparity. Was that just flights?

Ryanair just released it's Spring/Summer schedule 2021 and it's beautiful...:biggrin:...Voucher redeemed. J2 & EJ flights will tumble.

£21 cheaper than April 2020...stop it!

869980959_Screenshot(7).thumb.png.efa63dc004cacc4b198fa1e7612c529a.png

Edited by OBE

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Strange disparity. Was that just flights?

Yeah, was meant to fly out 4th of May and just been huge hassle with both them and ryanair for the return flight, if it was just me and the mrs i'd have taken the vouchers and used them later in the year or next year but it was an old gits holiday/fag run with the father in law and his cronies so 8 of us travelling

49 minutes ago, OBE said:

Ryanair just released it's Spring/Summer schedule 2021 and it's beautiful...:biggrin:...Voucher redeemed. J2 & EJ flights will tumble.

£21 cheaper than April 2020...stop it!

869980959_Screenshot(7).thumb.png.efa63dc004cacc4b198fa1e7612c529a.png

Everytime me and the mrs fly I 'accidentally' forget to reserve seats together, saves money and makes the flight much more enjoyable (I prefer sleeping on the plane and she's like a kid with ADHD thats just skulled a 2 litre bottle of irn bru and a family bag of skittles)  

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Everytime me and the mrs fly I 'accidentally' forget to reserve seats together, saves money and makes the flight much more enjoyable (I prefer sleeping on the plane and she's like a kid with ADHD thats just skulled a 2 litre bottle of irn bru and a family bag of skittles)  

I share your pain. 😎

2 hours ago, Ribble said:

Sleep on a plane? cannae dae it. Bing bong, WTF? Turbulence, hate the stuff. All flights are tempered with Gin. Long legs, hence the extra leg room. Your method could be adopted, sleepers to the back, blethers to the front.

39 minutes ago, OBE said:

Sleep on a plane? cannae dae it. Bing bong, WTF? Turbulence, hate the stuff. All flights are tempered with Gin. Long legs, hence the extra leg room. Your method could be adopted, sleepers to the back, blethers to the front.

Handful of pints beforehand, noise isolating headphones and i'm out cold before the plane's left the tarmac! Occasionally wake when there is grub or booze being handed out. 

Think the best I managed was 8 hour flight from Antigua to Gatwick, had had about 8 hours layover in antigua so spent the afternoon at a beach bar, got on the plane and fell asleep, woke up 20 mins before landing!

davemclaren
On 16/06/2020 at 09:52, davemclaren said:

Got my jet2 refund a week after them cancelling. Well done jet2. 

Still nothing from Ryanair or Easyjet over a month later. 

Email from Easyjet saying my refund is being processed today. 

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

One to go out of three, pfffft Ryanair nae shock there, It'll be the least amount to be refunded.

davemclaren
6 minutes ago, OBE said:

One to go out of three, pfffft Ryanair nae shock there, It'll be the least amount to be refunded.

I assume you mean last - I agree. 😄

10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I assume you mean last - I agree. 😄

Sorry,  I was assuming Ryanair was your cheapest flights.

Edited by OBE

davemclaren
56 minutes ago, OBE said:

Sorry,  I was assuming Ryanair was your cheapest flights.

Second cheapest. 😎

Having had 2 planned holiday flights cancelled and refunded by jet2 I’m now moving onto the Ryanair waiting game lottery for my August flights. We have pretty much decided not to travel but I’m sure they will try to run the flight. According to their faq’s if you don’t want to  Travel due to the uncertainty you can change your flights without fees. Had a look for April next year, flights £600 cheaper but you don’t get that back plus they want £700 to change. 😂

will wait to see if they cancel I think. 

davemclaren
14 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Having had 2 planned holiday flights cancelled and refunded by jet2 I’m now moving onto the Ryanair waiting game lottery for my August flights. We have pretty much decided not to travel but I’m sure they will try to run the flight. According to their faq’s if you don’t want to  Travel due to the uncertainty you can change your flights without fees. Had a look for April next year, flights £600 cheaper but you don’t get that back plus they want £700 to change. 😂

£700 to change. 😳

44 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

£700 to change. 😳

Yep. Would have half considered it if they actually deducted the £600 difference in fair but no they are to keep that too. 🙄

2 hours ago, Dazo said:

They've contradicted themselves then?

How much was your flights initially?

44 minutes ago, OBE said:

They've contradicted themselves then?

How much was your flights initially?

Yep, haven’t spoke to them on the phone as yet which I’m assuming I’d have to do to get the fees waived. Initial cost was just under £1600

davemclaren
On 18/06/2020 at 10:04, davemclaren said:

Refunded to my credit card yesterday. 

redtipsjambo

Tried the chargeback route for hotel in Crete

Having reviewed your case, we can see that the merchant has offered you a refund in the form of a credit note. Unfortunately, as they are offering you an alternative, we are unable to assist with your dispute.

Whilst I appreciate this is not what you want, all of our chargebacks are governed by Visa regulations and in this case we have no chargeback rights.

Trying to find these visa regulations, no luck yet

That's us just had our refund for our holiday now. Lastminute.com were brilliant in the way the dealt with this, I feel now any holiday I book in the future will be through them.

Edited by superjack

On 18/06/2020 at 17:47, Dazo said:

Yep, haven’t spoke to them on the phone as yet which I’m assuming I’d have to do to get the fees waived. Initial cost was just under £1600

Let us know how you get on, I've got flights with Ryanair booked in August as well, they said I could reschedule free of fees next April but when I tried I couldn't change the route and they only listed flights till march, possibly because next year's schedule isn't out yet.

17 minutes ago, graygo said:

Let us know how you get on, I've got flights with Ryanair booked in August as well, they said I could reschedule free of fees next April but when I tried I couldn't change the route and they only listed flights till march, possibly because next year's schedule isn't out yet.

Did they say that when you phoned ?

40 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Did they say that when you phoned ?

No, online through their app.

Edit: maybe I'm reading it wrong but here's what it says. Maybe they mean if your flight was April as in 2 months ago.

Screenshot_20200623-214606.png

Edited by graygo

8 minutes ago, graygo said:

No, online through their app.

Edit: maybe I'm reading it wrong but here's what it says. Maybe they mean if your flight was April as in 2 months ago.

Screenshot_20200623-214606.png

I tried it through the app and when I got to the part before confirming the change after picking new flights the fees popped up. Their website states this

761711C9-F973-4249-A86D-410BF224B75F.jpeg

Interesting, just had another look and it looks like it only applies to flights booked after 10th June and only for July/August flights.

Screenshot_20200623-215411.png

That was a different offer  they dreamt up the other week  and not part of the Covid faq I posted above. Joke really as who the **** booked a flight in June for July/August then wants to change ? 

On 17/06/2020 at 09:22, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The bits I've highlighted in red are all things which I'd read a few weeks ago that might be happening, seems that they are now.

Food - End of the traditional buffet, that's now gone, which isn't such a bad thing as it could be a manic scramble sometimes, plus it stops people piling their plates high with food that they then waste half of.

Restaurant/Bar - Less people allowed in at any one time, meaning people will have to book a table in advance or will be set allocated eating times upon arrival, which won't suit many people.  Having to wait and queue is going to be the new normal I fear, and this will apply not just at the hotel but also at many restaurants outwith the hotel.  Now queuing isn't really an issue for us Brits, unfortunately not every other nationality have quite grasped the concept of joining the queue, especially joining the back of the queue, lots of tensions there methinks.

Pool - Social distancing for the sunbeds, means fewer sunbeds around the pool, it can often be a nightmare getting a sunbed to begin with, it'll be near impossible now.

Every one of the above new proposals will result in extra expense for the hotel, either in the form of larger quantities of cleaning products or even better quality disinfectants, but more than likely also more cleaning staff and restaurant/bar staff, and who do you think is going to pay for all that? 

Yip the guests in higher room rates and increased prices at the restaurant & bar, add on that the airlines will be trying to recoup as much as they can and the result is that many holidays are going to cost much more than before.

Indeed I posted last night that the exact same holiday we were due to go this year was costing just over £500 more next year at the same time of year etc.

And if people stop going as a result it will all be scraped and go back to his it was to try and attract customers. I am certainly not going on holiday to Queue up and all that. Would rather rather just holiday at home until things are back to to more normality. 

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

And if people stop going as a result it will all be scraped and go back to his it was to try and attract customers. I am certainly not going on holiday to Queue up and all that. Would rather rather just holiday at home until things are back to to more normality. 

You could look into a villa holiday with a private pool. 

Jambo-Jimbo
30 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

It'll calm down and return back to some sort of normallity by itself.

No matter what the restrictions are, they all mean less people and or extra costs for everyone, so it's in everyone's interest to try and get back to normal as quick as possible, in saying that, It'll be late in the season or even next year before that happens.

Holiday's in the UK will be rammed for the remainder of this season, I think.