Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

Anyone else had trouble with Travel Republic? We had a weekend at Disneyland Paris booked for May, it got cancelled, I said I'd accept travel credit in return so we've got the money there ready to book again , was meant to be refunded it on June 29th. Have heard nothing. They do not respond on social media or to emails and their phone lines are constantly down even to those needing an emergency on holiday. Disgrace of a firm 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• graygo

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, graygo said:

The advice was always not to cancel your booking, it was to let the travel company do it. That way you are covered.

I don't blame anyone who has gone on holiday if it's not been cancelled by the provider and the FCO say that it's ok to travel. Obviously if the possibility of having to self isolate is an issue for you then don't go but for some that's not a huge problem.

I might be going away next week unless things change for my destination.😁

You’re right you shouldn’t cancel but you don’t need to cancel your booking to make an insurance claim. I’m talking about specifically the last few weeks when our advice was not to travel, people still went on holiday when they could have claimed. 

I’m meant to be away shortly too but I’m not going regardless of advice. Only thing that the advices changes is how much money I’ll lose. 

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

You’re right you shouldn’t cancel but you don’t need to cancel your booking to make an insurance claim. I’m talking about specifically the last few weeks when our advice was not to travel, people still went on holiday when they could have claimed. 

I’m meant to be away shortly too but I’m not going regardless of advice. Only thing that the advices changes is how much money I’ll lose. 

How can you claim if your holiday hasn't been cancelled? If the FCO say you can travel and the travel provider is willing to provide and you decide not to go then you'll not be covered. There will be very few people in Spain just now who didn't go when the FCO told them it was ok to go. 

17 minutes ago, graygo said:

How can you claim if your holiday hasn't been cancelled? If the FCO say you can travel and the travel provider is willing to provide and you decide not to go then you'll not be covered. There will be very few people in Spain just now who didn't go when the FCO told them it was ok to go. 

We seem to be going round in circles. The advice in Scotland only changed recently. During that time you could have claimed. If your holiday has been cancelled you don’t need to claim as you’d be entitled to a refund. Plenty people went when the advice said otherwise that’s why there was such an uproar when our advice was different from England’s. 

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

We seem to be going round in circles. The advice in Scotland only changed recently. During that time you could have claimed. If your holiday has been cancelled you don’t need to claim as you’d be entitled to a refund. Plenty people went when the advice said otherwise that’s why there was such an uproar when our advice was different from England’s. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree mate, I don't think many went on holiday when the Scottish government told them not to, hell mend anyone who did or does.

My main point though is people weren't cancelling their holidays because they were told not to. For example, the advice just now is not to travel but if I've got a holiday to Spain booked for 3 weeks time I'm not going to cancel it just now because no insurance company will pay out unless the provider can't provide the holiday and that won't be known until the time comes.

3 minutes ago, graygo said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree mate, I don't think many went on holiday when the Scottish government told them not to, hell mend anyone who did or does.

My main point though is people weren't cancelling their holidays because they were told not to. For example, the advice just now is not to travel but if I've got a holiday to Spain booked for 3 weeks time I'm not going to cancel it just now because no insurance company will pay out unless the provider can't provide the holiday and that won't be known until the time comes.

If you don’t want to go I’d consider claiming now, that’s what I’m doing. 

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

If you don’t want to go I’d consider claiming now, that’s what I’m doing. 

Good luck, can't see an insurance company paying out if the holiday is going ahead and you just don't fancy it. (If the FCO don't advise against it)

4 minutes ago, graygo said:

Good luck, can't see an insurance company paying out if the holiday is going ahead and you just don't fancy it. (If the FCO don't advise against it)

The FCO do advise against it. Hence my claim

Edited by Dazo

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Because the weather in Scotland is shite 90% of the time and folk want to get away to different surroundings and cultures. 

Surely people can stay in Scotland for a year 

really isn’t a big deal

Samuel Camazzola
4 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

really isn’t a big deal

As said before, people will have bookings in place - some made as early as last year. Until FCO guidance at their time of departure advises them not to go, their own reasons/risk assessment will determine if they still head off. 

I have two upcoming trips and if the guidance states I can travel, I will. If things change whilst I'm away and I'm expected to fulfill a period of quarantine upon my return, it's a risk I'm prepared to take. 

Jambo 4 Ever
Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

As said before, people will have bookings in place - some made as early as last year. Until FCO guidance at their time of departure advises them not to go, their own reasons/risk assessment will determine if they still head off. 

I have two upcoming trips and if the guidance states I can travel, I will. If things change whilst I'm away and I'm expected to fulfill a period of quarantine upon my return, it's a risk I'm prepared to take. 

Fair enough but still think people going abroad just now are very foolish 

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Fair enough but still think people going abroad just now are very foolish 

Differing opinions. No more risky than folk heading to local pubs, beer gardens, shops, petrol stations... 

People unlikely to give up holidays they've spent £5k+ on if they cannot get money back or feel they have underlying reasons to do so. 

Many heading off to private villas with car rentals and will feel safer abroad than at home. 

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

The Scottish government doesn’t have a say in FCO travel advice. It applies across the whole of the UK. 

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

The FCO do advise against it. Hence my claim

Like I said, the insurance will probably only pay out if that advice is still in place at time of departure.

38 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Totally agree and the bit in bold is the important bit.

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, graygo said:

Only bit that worried me was the airport, should be reasonably quiet now people aren't going to Spain.

:pleasing:

Shouldn't be any more of a concern than going to a supermarket. If anything, it'll be much cleaner with more frequent cleaning being carried out. 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Shouldn't be any more of a concern than going to a supermarket. If anything, it'll be much cleaner with more frequent cleaning being carried out. 

Very true.

3 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

Why not holiday in Scotland instead?

Because it's not hot in Scotland, there's not much relaxation to be done in Scotland that I wouldn't be as well just sitting in the house doing. The £220 it's going to cost me to fly to and from Turkey and stay in my Hotel would probably be eaten up by about 2 nights accommodation here. That's the short list.

Edited by hughesie27

46 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The Scottish government doesn’t have a say in FCO travel advice. It applies across the whole of the UK. 

Exactly what I thought but after speaking to my insurance during the period when the 2 governments differed we were told we could claim if the Scottish government said not to travel. All a mess really down to good old Ryanair being just about the only airline not to cancel flights to Spain. 

davemclaren
Just now, Dazo said:

Exactly what I thought but after speaking to my insurance during the period when the 2 governments differed we were told we could claim if the Scottish government said not to travel. All a mess really down to good old Ryanair being just about the only airline not to cancel flights to Spain. 

That’s a good result. Ryanair being a bunch of chancers as usual. 

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

This is where I am at.  I have a trip booked to France by ferry.  I will be doing everything to be on that trip.  If I need to quarantine I will and wont be moaning on the news about it.  Interesting to know however how I can drive back from France to home immediately and not stop anywhere.  I think the risk of that will be higher with me crashing through sleep exhaustion than me staying in a hotel on the way up.

CavySlaveJambo
1 hour ago, graygo said:

Like I said, the insurance will probably only pay out if that advice is still in place at time of departure.

Within 28 days. 

22 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yip, there is going to be thousands of people caught up in this, through no fault of their own, who had a holiday booked months ago but now have no choice but to go or they lose their money.  At the start of this all the travel experts advised people to pay their balance and many thousands did and later regretted it, as they then hoped that their holiday was cancelled or either they'd have to go or lose their money. 

I booked up last October for Lanzarote this July, this could have easily have happened to me, if I had paid my outstanding balance, and if things had been better at the start of this month.

But some people seem to think that everyone has rushed out in the last 2 or 3 weeks to book a holiday to Spain, when the truth is most will have been booked many months ago.

Tend to agree with this. 

The travel companies will not give refunds unless the FCO advises against travel. People who have holidays booked months in advance will have a decision to make. Cancel and lose the holiday or go on holiday and run the risk of having to quarantine on return home. 

There is always another peril which happened to me, that is you go on holiday and the resort is locked down while you are there. Then the FCO advises against travel and then those caring people at Ryanair leave you stranded in resort. 

Looking back I would have bit the bullet and cancelled before departure as it would actually have been cheaper in the long run. The cost of replacement flight home can be exorbitant. 

Shanks said no
9 hours ago, graygo said:

Only bit that worried me was the airport, should be reasonably quiet now people aren't going to Spain.

:pleasing:

our thoughts as well, we can step out of the house and the 200 stops a few feet from our gate. As its Easyjet we are flying with we will just have a drink in the house, no airport lounge and time it to arrive at Edinburgh Airport at the last minute. Will be little difference from going to the Gyle.

4hrs with a mask on flying will be a trial but have bought one now that's far more comfortable. If / when we get to the hotel in Greece we will be at a far lower risk* than staying in Scotland or going to England

*based on current figures

29 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

our thoughts as well, we can step out of the house and the 200 stops a few feet from our gate. As its Easyjet we are flying with we will just have a drink in the house, no airport lounge and time it to arrive at Edinburgh Airport at the last minute. Will be little difference from going to the Gyle.

4hrs with a mask on flying will be a trial but have bought one now that's far more comfortable. If / when we get to the hotel in Greece we will be at a far lower risk* than staying in Scotland or going to England

*based on current figures

Our flight is to Gdansk so about 2 hours which I think I can just about manage.

Harry Potter
18 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

🤔.is the 2 metre rule in place on the plane.

Edited by Harry Potter

Shanks said no

Update on GOV.UK.

Greece travel advice

Change made
From 29 July 2020, it is obligatory to wear a face mask in supermarkets, cafes, banks, government offices, retail outlets, barbershops, hairdressers and related establishments (‘Coronavirus’ pages).

Time updated
8:52pm, 28 July 2020

Harry Potter
20 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

really isn’t a big deal

Obviously is for some, mind you everyone is entitled to their own choice, home (Scotland)

for me.

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Obviously is for some, mind you everyone is entitled to their own choice, home (Scotland)

for me.

I agree.

Also if I end up being miserable I’d rather be at home.

davemclaren
55 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

for me.

Some of us have less years left. 😄

i love going abroad and thoughT things might stabilise enough for us to get something in September/October but still too much uncertainty imo. Looks like a few nights up the heelands at some point. 

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

i love going abroad and thoughT things might stabilise enough for us to get something in September/October but still too much uncertainty imo. Looks like a few nights up the heelands at some point. 

Ffs I’ve probably got less years than you.

😫

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Update on GOV.UK.

Greece travel advice

Change made
From 29 July 2020, it is obligatory to wear a face mask in supermarkets, cafes, banks, government offices, retail outlets, barbershops, hairdressers and related establishments (‘Coronavirus’ pages).

Time updated
8:52pm, 28 July 2020

There are a few other places in Europe which are seeing an increase in cases, Croatia, France, Germany, Belgium, Romania, are all seeing worrying increases.

Also countries which had been hailed as having done a good job of containing this, are now seeing worrying increases as well, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia.

The simple fact is, this thing ain't going away until a vaccine is found, which means any foreign travel to anywhere for the foreseeable is going to carry extra risks.

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

There are a few other places in Europe which are seeing an increase in cases, Croatia, France, Germany, Belgium, Romania, are all seeing worrying increases.

Also countries which had been hailed as having done a good job of containing this, are now seeing worrying increases as well, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia.

The simple fact is, this thing ain't going away until a vaccine is found, which means any foreign travel to anywhere for the foreseeable is going to carry extra risks.

Supposed to be going to Berlin on a jolly boys in September.

Due to the uncertainty it looks like we’ll abort it.

I’m looking forward to seeing people returning from their holidays nicely suntanned except for a pale area where their masks were.

It’ll be September’s cool look.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, The Spy Who Loved Me said:

I’m looking forward to seeing people returning from their holidays nicely suntanned except for a pale area where their masks were.

It’ll be September’s cool look.

:lol:

Harry Potter
3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

You are being sensible Dave, as for years left, you have plenty Dave, and lovely drinking water in the highlands 🙂.

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

You are being sensible Dave, as for years left, you have plenty Dave, and lovely drinking water in the highlands 🙂.

Not to mention whisky. 😄

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Supposed to be going to Berlin on a jolly boys in September.

Due to the uncertainty it looks like we’ll abort it.

I can think of far worse places to be stranded............Hamilton for instance. :laugh:

Flights booked for Majorca in September. If the flight is on then I'll be on it, regardless of quarantine rules. 

Have heard of folk still strolling off flights from Spain and straight through the airport without being asked to give their details for quarantine. They need to start policing it or the majority will just ignore it.

33 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Flights booked for Majorca in September. If the flight is on then I'll be on it, regardless of quarantine rules. 

Have heard of folk still strolling off flights from Spain and straight through the airport without being asked to give their details for quarantine. They need to start policing it or the majority will just ignore it.

You are supposed to fill in a passenger locator form within 48 hours of arriving in the UK. I guess the passport number on this form is compared with the passport  when it is scanned at the border on the way in. If you haven't completed a form you should be flagged and stopped.

I've arrived at the UK border 3 times in July and not been stopped or questioned. I've also seen folk sitting down filling in paper forms at the border, could be those who have been flagged, not sure.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I can think of far worse places to be stranded............Hamilton for instance. :laugh:

:lol:

John Findlay

Due to the hassle involved and conflicting information from both the UK and Scottish governments. Commonsense told me to pass going abroad this year. 

My mate in NZ was saying that they initially had issues with 14 day quarantine rules as people were sneaking out to the shops etc. Think the PM stationed police outside there houses to stop it.

They really don't mess around and they're benefitting from that strategy

1 hour ago, Gone said:

My mate in NZ was saying that they initially had issues with 14 day quarantine rules as people were sneaking out to the shops etc. Think the PM stationed police outside there houses to stop it.

They really don't mess around and they're benefitting from that strategy

No need to sneak out to the shops during quarantine here, it's allowed if essential, food, medicines etc.

1 hour ago, graygo said:

No need to sneak out to the shops during quarantine here, it's allowed if essential, food, medicines etc.

I heard someone on rhe TV this morning saying people are not even supposed to go out to walk the dog when in quarantine. 

Dont think it was as strict as that during the original lockdown. 

What are we supposed to do leave the dug in kennels for another fortnight ?

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I heard someone on rhe TV this morning saying people are not even supposed to go out to walk the dog when in quarantine. 

What a lot of shite them saying you can’t taken the dog out.

2 hours ago, luckydug said:

Looks like it ok to walk your dog in England but not in Scotland from what I can see.

Scotland:

If you are self-isolating or in the extremely vulnerable group

If you are self-isolating or in the extremely vulnerable (shielding) group, you should not walk your dog outside. Instead, you should ask someone outside your household to walk your dog for you.

The person who walks your dog should avoid coming into your home, and ensure that dogs are kept on a lead to avoid contact with other people and dogs.

England:

If you do not have symptoms of coronavirus

You may leave your house to walk your dog. You should stay 2 metres apart from anyone outside of your household or support bubble, or one metre with risk mitigation where 2 metres is not viable.

An example of risk mitigation would be wearing a face covering

Edited by graygo