Holiday/flight cancellations and refunds ( title updated )

Section Q

the sub goalie
2 hours ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

For late August. One of the flights is domestic so that is the problem.  Should have just booked it as a straight through flight really. 

Booked a week in Tenerife for the Mrs & daughter for August, due to health issues my daughter will be unable to travel until a vaccine is available.  Stupidly I didn't book travel insurance as I usually sort it a month or so before travel so I have everything crossed the flights will be cancelled.  If not an expensive lesson learned for me.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• OBE

• graygo

• Samuel Camazzola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

They offered to move it but I didn't want to, so I 'cancelled' it!

Still, technically you've not cancelled your original booking. You've only declined their offer of a switch. Get claiming! 👍 

davemclaren

So, our jet2 flights on 8/7/20 returning 22/7/20 that were cancelled cost £723.60. If we change them to fly out on 7/7 next year, with no change fee being applied ( generous of them ) they want an extra £600. 🤣🧐 Think I’ll take a refund and see if I can get them cheaper later  elsewhere. 🤔

The era of cheap flights might just have ended 

Jambo-Jimbo
13 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

So, our jet2 flights on 8/7/20 returning 22/7/20 that were cancelled cost £723.60. If we change them to fly out on 7/7 next year, with no change fee being applied ( generous of them ) they want an extra £600. 🤣🧐 Think I’ll take a refund and see if I can get them cheaper later  elsewhere. 🤔

I think most of them will keep them as cheap as possible for flights/holidays booked & taken this year, just so as they can get folks to spend some money and get some cash flow in, next year however I expect things to be much much different.

Me & Mrs JJ tend to try and go away 2 or 3 times a year, city breaks mostly and only because the flights & hotels are often so cheap, however if airlines start charging huge amounts for flights then we might only go away once or not at all and it's the airline which loses out.

They'll just cut their own throats if they are priced too high as a lot of people will not be able to afford it or are unwilling to pay the asking price and will just holiday in the UK instead.

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Easyjet & Jet2 are extortionate for next year, that'll change when Ryanair post their 2021 summer schedule...sit tight.

Ryanair get stick for many things, but should be appreciated for the competition they create.

Edited by OBE

davemclaren
1 minute ago, OBE said:

Easyjet & Jet2 are extortionate for next year, that'll change when Ryanair post their 2021 summer schedule...sit tight.

That’s my hope. 

Shanks said no

Interesting update from FCO this morning on travel to Antigua which hikes the price of travel up considerably if it were to become widespread and permanent 

Restrictions in response to coronavirus

Health screening is in place at VC Bird International Airport for all international arrivals. The measures are subject to change but may include mandatory temperature and travel history checks, and “rapid testing” for Coronavirus. You should expect long waiting times on arrival. Visitors subject to a Coronavirus test on arrival must pay a fee of US$ 100 or local equivalent in cash. The local authorities may instruct you to enter government-provided quarantine, for which a further fee is payable, depending on the results of their screening and testing procedures. Those with pre-booked hotel accommodation will normally be permitted to travel to their accommodation after screening. Those staying with family, friends, or their own place of residence, must spend their first night in mandatory government quarantine and will be subject to an interview to determine their suitability to leave for their private accommodation arrangements. Those not deemed to have suitable private accommodation arrangements will be obliged to remain in government quarantine for between seven and 14 days.

Shanks said no
On 09/06/2020 at 18:47, OBE said:

Ryanair get stick for many things, but should be appreciated for the competition they create.

With easyJet releasing flights up to end May 21 yesterday I couldn’t do a direct comparison to the Athens flight I should have been on tomorrow but there didn’t appear to be much difference in the price on offer for 31 May 21. Just a few quid in it. 

easyJet to Crete however in May 21 did seem more expensive than I expected already.

2 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

With easyJet releasing flights up to end May 21 yesterday I couldn’t do a direct comparison to the Athens flight I should have been on tomorrow but there didn’t appear to be much difference in the price on offer for 31 May 21. Just a few quid in it. 

easyJet to Crete however in May 21 did seem more expensive than I expected already.

What drew my extortionate claim is both Easyjet and Jet2 are £500 each for flight only to Tenerife next April, Ryanair April 2020 was £245 each, 1 20Kg bag and extra legroom. Different routes/dates will attract higher/lower premiums. Ryanair have yet to release their 2021 Spring/Summer schedule, it'll be interesting to see if this release will influence EJ's & J2's inflated prices...I think it will.

Lets hope holidaying abroad and tourism here is back on come 2021...🏖️ 

44 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Interesting update from FCO this morning on travel to Antigua which hikes the price of travel up considerably if it were to become widespread and permanent 

Restrictions in response to coronavirus

Health screening is in place at VC Bird International Airport for all international arrivals. The measures are subject to change but may include mandatory temperature and travel history checks, and “rapid testing” for Coronavirus. You should expect long waiting times on arrival. Visitors subject to a Coronavirus test on arrival must pay a fee of US$ 100 or local equivalent in cash. The local authorities may instruct you to enter government-provided quarantine, for which a further fee is payable, depending on the results of their screening and testing procedures. Those with pre-booked hotel accommodation will normally be permitted to travel to their accommodation after screening. Those staying with family, friends, or their own place of residence, must spend their first night in mandatory government quarantine and will be subject to an interview to determine their suitability to leave for their private accommodation arrangements. Those not deemed to have suitable private accommodation arrangements will be obliged to remain in government quarantine for between seven and 14 days.

Should be the other way round, punters should get 100 bucks for travelling to destinations reliant on foreign cash.

38 minutes ago, OBE said:

Should be the other way round, punters should get 100 bucks for travelling to destinations reliant on foreign cash.

Whilst I wouldn't quite go that far, I do agree that all these places are going to achieve is zero tourism and a ruined economy. It won't last.

My holiday that was cancelled last month to Turkey is actually a few quid cheaper for the same time next year with Jet2.

Edit: Just checked and it's now £300 dearer if booking today.

Edited by graygo

1 hour ago, graygo said:

My holiday that was cancelled last month to Turkey is actually a few quid cheaper for the same time next year with Jet2.

Edit: Just checked and it's now £300 dearer if booking today.

Are you going?

3 hours ago, graygo said:

Well I've rebooked it if that's what you mean.

Yes, did you avoid the £300 increase?

7 minutes ago, OBE said:

Yes, did you avoid the £300 increase?

Yes, I rebooked when they cancelled last month mate.

cancelled my holiday. was just a holiday cottage in scotland. first week of july but dont think enough restrictions will be eased by then.

I have just received a request from Booking.com asking that I review the hotel I stayed at in Seville. Have to say loved it. 

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Worse, much worse than Ryanair...🙃 Our re-booked flights to Alicante (voucher) next year would've been cheaper than 2020 if we hadn't opted for seats at the front, thanks Michael...☘️

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, OBE said:

Flight only...WTF?

1192577600_Screenshot(1).thumb.png.de5ca5ab70bd3b9238e1daa3dd421420.png

Cheaper than Easyjet, same dates 9 April - 19 April, Edinburgh to Tenerife was coming in at £1,149.96 and that's just with hand luggage.

As feared the days of cheap flights are over.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, OBE said:

Flight only...WTF?

1192577600_Screenshot(1).thumb.png.de5ca5ab70bd3b9238e1daa3dd421420.png

Did you price a package holiday with them for the same period to see what the margin is? 

Whoever you have booked through keep on top of it. 

I finally got through to TUi last week after phoning early April to cancel my hols.  I lost the deposit which we knew would happen but we had a decent amount outstanding to come back to us. 

The rep I spoke to was actually surprised I hasn’t had a follow up call, anyway, she set up the BACS transfer and you can wait anything up to 28 days for any monies back. 

(apologies if someone has already made a similar post, I’ve only followed thread on and off 👍🏻)

43 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Did you price a package holiday with them for the same period to see what the margin is? 

Here you go! 4* 1/2 board 10 nights.

971887730_Screenshot(2).thumb.png.a3db2bae52c5aed3170e3bbdbc9bdb31.png

Samuel Camazzola
31 minutes ago, OBE said:

Here you go! 4* 1/2 board 10 nights.

971887730_Screenshot(2).thumb.png.a3db2bae52c5aed3170e3bbdbc9bdb31.png

👍 

It's got to come down. The Thomas Cook collapse created a spike at time which could be understood. The pricing just now must be based on projections of every second seat being left empty. Surely they can't be selling many at these prices. 

8 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

👍

It's got to come down. The Thomas Cook collapse created a spike at time which could be understood. The pricing just now must be based on projections of every second seat being left empty. Surely they can't be selling many at these prices. 

As I've mentioned before, hopefully there will be a correction once Ryanair eventually produce their schedule for Spring/Summer 21.

Harry Potter
11 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

who would actually pay that, still think its madness getting on a plane anytime soon..

Samuel Camazzola
19 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

who would actually pay that, still think its madness getting on a plane anytime soon..

No idea. Perhaps folk who think the price could go up if they don't book now? 

I've got flights in September and October and anticipate things will have eased by then. Quarantine guidelines are expected to be done with in the coming weeks too. 

I know it’s not a summer holiday next year but I just booked flights to Poland for weekend in December and the flights were £14 each way.... cheap cheap 

I phoned the Excalibur Hotel in Las Vegas yesterday and told them I would have to cancel my booking as my flights got cancelled.The woman I spoke to processed the refund right away and hoped that I would return soon.Also she told me that she loves Scotland and her daughter just moved to my town(Livingston) as she just got married to a Scot.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, weegranty said:

I phoned the Excalibur Hotel in Las Vegas yesterday and told them I would have to cancel my booking as my flights got cancelled.The woman I spoke to processed the refund right away and hoped that I would return soon.Also she told me that she loves Scotland and her daughter just moved to my town(Livingston) as she just got married to a Scot.

👍

Jambo-Jimbo

I was always under the impression that you could change your booked flights, you might need to pay an admin fee or suppliment but you could change the dates if you needed to.

Well it appears that with KLM you can't or so my son has been informed by someone from KLM.

Him & his girlfriend had booked return flights from Edinburgh to Cape Town via Amsterdam at the tail end of last year, for October this year, they were going to South Africa for their honeymoon as they were due to get married in September, however with one thing and another mainly due to covid they have had to postpone the wedding until next year, obviously the honeymoon is postponed as well.

They contacted KLM via their Facebook page and explained the situation and asked how much it would cost to change the dates of the booking, after a few days KLM got back and said that they couldn't change the dates and the ticket was vaild for one year and if it wasn't used by November 2020 they would lose it.

Obviously this took them quite aback, so they wrote back and said surely that's wrong, surely if they paid a fee to change the dates they could and explained the situation again, it took KLM about a week to reply this time and this morning they got a generic reply on about if your flight has been cancelled you are entitiled to blah blah blah blah.  Well their flight hasn't been cancelled, not yet anyway, so the reply was completely irrelavent to them.

They both have the impression that KLM are just trying to fob them off now and are taking the piss, if it was only £20 or £30 they'd probably just say feck it, but they've paid over £2300 for the flights and they are not writing that off nor have they money for somewhere else.

My laddie is going to try and phone KLM this week, that might be fun trying to get through, so I'll let yous know how he gets on.

Has anybody ever heard that you can't change the dates of your booking, I certainly haven't.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

redtipsjambo

Had  a short stay in a crete hotel in Elounda  booked for a mates wedding , end of June ,now been cancelled

Went the through the cancelling procedure expecting to get a refund,  have now been told that the greek government passed a law, that they can give vouchers as opposed to refunds, that last for 18 months and only then if you don't redeem them you will get cash back

Government backing their tourist industry with everybodies money bar their own
Not a hope in hell I'll be going any near there now

davemclaren
5 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I was always under the impression that you could change your booked flights, you might need to pay an admin fee or suppliment but you could change the dates if you needed to.

Well it appears that with KLM you can't or so my son has been informed by someone from KLM.

Him & his girlfriend had booked return flights from Edinburgh to Cape Town via Amsterdam at the tail end of last year, for October this year, they were going to South Africa for their honeymoon as they were due to get married in September, however with one thing and another mainly due to covid they have had to postpone the wedding until next year, obviously the honeymoon is postponed as well.

They contacted KLM via their Facebook page and explained the situation and asked how much it would cost to change the dates of the booking, after a few days KLM got back and said that they couldn't change the dates and the ticket was vaild for one year and if it wasn't used by November 2020 they would lose it.

Obviously this took them quite aback, so they wrote back and said surely that's wrong, surely if they paid a fee to change the dates they could and explained the situation again, it took KLM about a week to reply this time and this morning they got a generic reply on about if your flight has been cancelled you are entitiled to blah blah blah blah.  Well their flight hasn't been cancelled, not yet anyway, so the reply was completely irrelavent to them.

They both have the impression that KLM are just trying to fob them off now and are taking the piss, if it was only £20 or £30 they'd probably just say feck it, but they've paid over £2300 for the flights and they are not writing that off nor have they money for somewhere else.

My laddie is going to try and phone KLM this week, that might be fun trying to get through, so I'll let yous know how he gets on.

Has anybody ever heard that you can't change the dates of your booking, I certainly haven't.

Depends on the type of ticket and the attached T&C I imagine. Sounds harsh though. Best phoning them as he plans to. 

Finally got our refund from Easy Jet after they cancelled our flight to Paris in late March 🙌🏼

7 hours ago, redtipsjambo said:

Had  a short stay in a crete hotel in Elounda  booked for a mates wedding , end of June ,now been cancelled

Went the through the cancelling procedure expecting to get a refund,  have now been told that the greek government passed a law, that they can give vouchers as opposed to refunds, that last for 18 months and only then if you don't redeem them you will get cash back

Government backing their tourist industry with everybodies money bar their own
Not a hope in hell I'll be going any near there now

A few savvy contributors on this thread have advised to go down the chargeback route, good luck!

redtipsjambo
1 hour ago, OBE said:

A few savvy contributors on this thread have advised to go down the chargeback route, good luck!

Will give it a bash, thanks

Is it better phoning card provider ( if I can get through just now) or using email?

14 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

There are no standard conditions. Each airline will have their own and will have multiple different ticket types which again have different Ts and Cs.

Jambo-Jimbo
9 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Depends on the type of ticket and the attached T&C I imagine. Sounds harsh though. Best phoning them as he plans to. 

12 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

There are no standard conditions. Each airline will have their own and will have multiple different ticket types which again have different Ts and Cs.

So it sounds like an absolute mine-field.

I'd bet most folks and I include myself in this, that they buy a flight ticket from an airline and don't know that there are different types of tickets each with different Ts & Cs for that type of ticket.

davemclaren

Got my jet2 refund a week after them cancelling. Well done jet2. 

Still nothing from Ryanair or Easyjet over a month later. 

3 hours ago, redtipsjambo said:

Will give it a bash, thanks

Is it better phoning card provider ( if I can get through just now) or using email?

Your card provider/bank web site should direct you to the best option. If not sure, just google bank card chargeback procedure.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'd bet most folks and I include myself in this, that they buy a flight ticket from an airline and don't know that there are different types of tickets each with different Ts & Cs for that type of ticket.

Guilty of just ticking the box on T&C’s.

On 15/06/2020 at 08:32, theshed said:

I know it’s not a summer holiday next year but I just booked flights to Poland for weekend in December and the flights were £14 each way.... cheap cheap 

Cheap cheap cos potentially in the middle of wave 2. Good luck!

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Some make it fairly obvious. They will offer you different prices when you do your flight search. Fully flexible, semi flexible and non flexible etc. But I'm sure with others it isn't clear.

KLM are arseholes. For flights between Edinburgh and Amsterdam it is considerably cheaper to buy a return ticket than it is a one way. My cousin had to buy a new ticket to fly home when we were over once because he had changed his plans and didn't use his outward ticket, so they cancelled the return. They wanted to charge about 500 quid for a one way flight to Edinburgh, but instead he bought another return for about a fifth of the price.

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Got my jet2 refund a week after them cancelling. Well done jet2. 

Still nothing from Ryanair or Easyjet over a month later. 

I just got my money back from EasyJet..... 6 weeks I waited 

21 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Cheap cheap cos potentially in the middle of wave 2. Good luck!

If that’s the case then I don’t go and no fussed about the money I’d lose as it’s so little 

Jambo-Jimbo
31 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Guilty of just ticking the box on T&C’s.

I think we're all guity of that one.