*** Official St Johnstone v Heart of Midlothian Match Day Thread ***

kila

31 minutes ago, JH-HMFC said:

May have already been mentioned but according to Hearts site we had 3,321 through there today - absolutely fantastic when you consider we were bottom of the league. 

A very entertaining game - we were very good 1st half, dominated, but as DS says a different team seemed to come out 2nd half. What a hit by Sean Clare though, brilliant. Would certainly have taken 4 points out of 6 before last Sunday. We move on now, huge game on Wed. 

Astonishing.  3,321.  Haven't seen the actual crowd number.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• E6 Inc

• Francis Albert

• Marvin

3 hours ago, girvanjambo said:

Brilliant Sean. That's a point gained considering for some bizarre reason, we didn't start the 2nd half until the 80th minute 

just after Uche came on

It should have been ten
8 minutes ago, Mdoug79 said:

Just home from the game......WOW wtf happened at half time?! A completely different team came out in the 2nd half. Thank god for Clare’s strike to rescue a point! 
Today highlighted how badly we cope with balls over the top! Caught out every time. They just kept shelling them up and over and it worked far far too easily. 

Meshino is far too lightweight, Perrera had a nightmare. 

Spot on, unreal the difference in the second half. Stevie May loves a goal against us the prick. 

It should have been ten
17 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

yeah donis took a free kick in injury time at the touch line. Ballooned the free kick past the goal for a bye kick and ref blew final whistle

Still can’t believe that. What a waste of a great chance to get the win. 

2 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

Still can’t believe that. What a waste of a great chance to get the win. 

yep ..dire free kick how hard was it to put ball into box from there  :facepalm:

It was them that had a midweek game and they totally dominated second half, poor from us.

Sibbick should have been off earlier as he was struggling all second half, after his injury.

Meshino is not suited to Scottish football, impact sub at best, brushed off the ball constantly and the game just passes him by.

Stevie f..... May MOM - says it all😕

Happy with a point at the end of the day, win our home matches and a point away will see us ok IMO.

28 minutes ago, 1953 said:

Got to be happy with a point the way the second half panned out and if i'd been offered 4 from the last two games I'd have happily taken them. Lots to not be happy about the second half but we are now off the bottom, just got to keep winning and climbing the league.

If the penalty hadn’t been a dive I’d agree. The cheats mustered a draw.

2 minutes ago, merrymac said:

It was them that had a midweek game and they totally dominated second half, poor from us.

Sibbick should have been off earlier as he was struggling all second half, after his injury.

Meshino is not suited to Scottish football, impact sub at best, brushed off the ball constantly and the game just passes him by.

Happy with a point at the end of the day, win our home matches and a point away will see us ok IMO.

Agreed Never felt meshino would be suited to Scottish football Hoped I would be wrong but maybe not 🤦‍♂️

Just now, One five said:

Agreed Never felt meshino would be suited to Scottish football Hoped I would be wrong but maybe not 🤦‍♂️

👍

Certainly not on a cabbage patch against a team of cloggers, a wee bit of a selection error possibly.

Might have been better with Washington - work rate and closing down.

24 minutes ago, merrymac said:

How it goes sometimes though isn't it?

The team that gets the pasting midweek is the one that turns up ready to put a shift in and right some wrongs as opposed to the other team who had gotten the win and all the praise beforehand.

16 minutes ago, merrymac said:

👍

Certainly not on a cabbage patch against a team of cloggers, a wee bit of a selection error possibly.

Might have been better with Washington - work rate and closing down.

wish he'd put the ball in the net

1 minute ago, Gregorski said:

How it goes sometimes though isn't it?

The team that gets the pasting midweek is the one that turns up ready to put a shift in and right some wrongs as opposed to the other team who had gotten the win and all the praise beforehand.

Possibly but it was a horrible wet night and would have sapped the legs as Celtic passed it around them.

WE only seem to do pressing against Rangers and Celtic, players obviously dont think we have to bother in these games.

Would have been a perfect opportunity to dominate and take the wind out of them.

portobellojambo1

I guess you can sum today up by using the wording a game of two halves. Before we kicked off last Sunday against Rangers if someone had told me we would collect 4 points from that game and today's game I'd have been happy to accept such an outcome. I still am, but do so while accepting it could have been better, we could have ended up with all 6. I think in the 2nd half they may have identified a weakness for us on our right hand side, something that Michael Smith may play a part in fixing on his return to the team (not meant as an indication of a failing on Sean Clare's part by the way, but they did seem to have a lot of success 2nd half down that side of the field).

Edited by portobellojambo1

1 minute ago, Hearts007 said:

wish he'd put the ball in the net

I know!

Still get the feeling that once he gets going he might bag and few.

Is that blind optimism? 🙄

It should have been ten
32 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

yep ..dire free kick how hard was it to put ball into box from there  :facepalm:

Exactly ffs :ahhhhhhh:

23 minutes ago, One five said:

this. Feel he will be more effective at home. Not a player needed for a relegation battle

1 minute ago, merrymac said:

I know!

Still get the feeling that once he gets going he might bag and few.

Is that blind optimism? 🙄

imo yes

1 minute ago, merrymac said:

Possibly but it was a horrible wet night and would have sapped the legs as Celtic passed it around them.

WE only seem to do pressing against Rangers and Celtic, players obviously dont think we have to bother in these games.

Would have been a perfect opportunity to dominate and take the wind out of them.

Done not too bad on the pressing front against Aberdeen and Airdirie to be fair.

Get what you mean though. No doubt Stendel will have seen the exact same thing and will be booting hoops come Monday morning to ensure it changes.

I think it's fair to say that we'll all be looking for much better come Wednesday against Killie.

1 minute ago, Hearts007 said:

imo yes

Your probably right.

Shame cos he makes good runs and works hard, just cant find the net.

Maybe he can make them and Boycie tuck them away

I think his style fits the new game plan, just throw a few goals in please, even one would be good!

1 minute ago, Gregorski said:

Done not too bad on the pressing front against Aberdeen and Airdirie to be fair.

Get what you mean though. No doubt Stendel will have seen the exact same thing and will be booting hoops come Monday morning to ensure it changes.

I think it's fair to say that we'll all be looking for much better come Wednesday against Killie.

Amen to that🙏

Just now, merrymac said:

Your probably right.

Shame cos he makes good runs and works hard, just cant find the net.

Maybe he can make them and Boycie tuck them away

I think his style fits the new game plan, just throw a few goals in please, even one would be good!

🙏

Libertonian_II

Just watched the game on BBC Alba. Naismith was immense along with Boyce and Irvine. Honourable mention for Clare too. Thought Halkett and Pereira were poor while Meshino and Henderson did little of note. The fact that Uche made a difference out wide says it all as far as those two were concerned

I dont get playing Henderson at the moment,  im not sure he should be a first team regular.

Edited by Jamboelite

2 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

I dont get playing Henderson at the moment,  im not sure he should be a first team regular.

Didnt do much

Edited by Hearts007

LarrysRightFoot
2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Do you want to review that one Tosh.

Seems very much like the Dundee game under Cathro. We were the better team, leading and in control then just stopped playing. 

At least this time we showed some guys and got a point. 

We all know defensively the team needs work but I’m sure we will get better with practice and games. Also with Langer coming into midfield he will hopefully help shore things up.

LarrysRightFoot
23 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

I wonder if DS will start going 4-3-3 with Naismith, Boyce and A N Other upfront and Sibbick, Langer and Irving in midfield. Might help us out defensively and still offer creativity. 

4 hours ago, Hairdryer said:

Tactically out thought by Wright said it before the game

I agree with you. Wright has been managing in this league  for how long though, 6 years maybe? He knows it inside out, he's an over-achiever given the budget he has relative to most other teams in the Premier League. Stendel has been here two months and still thinks it's football we play, but he'll learn (ok I'm being facetious, I think that there's more football played in Scotland than we get credit for). I would like to know what others think changed the game and what  Wright said to his players at half-time. Personally I believe it was something like this. " These *******s think it's a game of football, get right in their faces, move the ball quick, they think they've got this game in the bag, stop them playing the ball on the ground, press their two midfielders, and get on top of the defenders as fast as you can" I've never seen us fall out of the game so dramatically in years.

I'm also an admirer of Wright to be fair. 

4 hours ago, Homme said:

Thank **** we got a point there. 

Absolutely shocking second half performance though. Balls need to be booted. 

Saved 4 points from losing positions in past two games which are so so vital. 

Yup, if we'd been offered 4 points from the last two games we would have taken them imo.

1 hour ago, jimbojambo said:

I thought Toby should have been off at half time after he got elbowed in the ribs as he was holding his side constantly and struggled in the second half. I really felt so unhappy with life at that moment until Uche bless him lightened the mood with nutmegging himself then falling over. A bit of a lucky point in the end but 5 from the last 9 was more than expected so bring on the Killie 👍

Our midfield was over-run in the second half,  probably partly because of the reason you state.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
6 hours ago, JH-HMFC said:

Good 1st half, can't remember the last time we dominated like this away from home. We look a real threat going forward, playing some good stuff, winning the ball high up the pitch - a million miles from my last visit under CL. Hopefully an early goal in 2nd half to kill it

Cathro against Dundee

🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Hearts007 said:

Point rescued better than nowt but to score 3 against them and not win.dissapointing

Did we not score three against them there a few years ago , Danny Wilson maybe got on the scoresheet and drew 3-3 🤔

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I guess you can sum today up by using the wording a game of two halves. Before we kicked off last Sunday against Rangers if someone had told me we would collect 4 points from that game and today's game I'd have been happy to accept such an outcome. I still am, but do so while accepting it could have been better, we could have ended up with all 6. I think in the 2nd half they may have identified a weakness for us on our right hand side, something that Michael Smith may play a part in fixing on his return to the team (not meant as an indication of a failing on Sean Clare's part by the way, but they did seem to have a lot of success 2nd half down that side of the field).

With Smith back in the team who replaces the goals that Clare has started scoring?

24 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I agree with you. Wright has been managing in this league  for how long though, 6 years maybe? He knows it inside out, he's an over-achiever given the budget he has relative to most other teams in the Premier League. Stendel has been here two months and still thinks it's football we play, but he'll learn (ok I'm being facetious, I think that there's more football played in Scotland than we get credit for). I would like to know what others think changed the game and what  Wright said to his players at half-time. Personally I believe it was something like this. " These *******s think it's a game of football, get right in their faces, move the ball quick, they think they've got this game in the bag, stop them playing the ball on the ground, press their two midfielders, and get on top of the defenders as fast as you can" I've never seen us fall out of the game so dramatically in years.

I'm also an admirer of Wright to be fair. 

Yup, if we'd been offered 4 points from the last two games we would have taken them imo.

Our midfield was over-run in the second half,  probably partly because of the reason you state.

Wright said “lump it over the top and run **** trying to play football against that lot they’ll kill us”

Edited by sadj

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Countering the high press can’t be as simple as simply pumping the ball long and over the top or it wouldn’t work - anywhere.

12 minutes ago, sadj said:

Did we not score three against them there a few years ago , Danny Wilson maybe got on the scoresheet and drew 3-3 🤔

yep stevo got red card in that i think and st j keeper

Edited by Hearts007

30 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Shit?

Depressingly so. It’s famine or feast on here.

Just famine on there

Edited by Jamhammer

10 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

yep stevo got red card in that i think and st j keeper

Sounds right. Was a batshit game bit like today iirc

If we've learned anything from today, it's that survival will be long journey. Were a long way away from being a good side. We should appreciate every away point we get.

portobellojambo1
25 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

With Smith back in the team who replaces the goals that Clare has started scoring?

Where did I say Clare had to be the person to drop out of the team. In fact I didn't, but I do think that when the emphasis is on attack (something which I support totally by the way) then to me such a line up does need a final line of defence who are all recognised as defenders. It could well be that Clare only needs to move forward one slot and possibly someone else is then sacrificed.

1 minute ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Where did I say Clare had to be the person to drop out of the team. In fact I didn't, but I do think that when the emphasis is on attack (something which I support totally by the way) then to me such a line up does need a final line of defence who are all recognised as defenders. It could well be that Clare only needs to move forward one slot and possibly someone else is then sacrificed.

Not necessarily. If we have an effective CDM who can cover when Clare is forward it would be fine. Haven't seen the game today, but it sounds like Sibbick was that until he took a heavy hit, and Irving isn't that kind of player. Could be that Langer plays that role away from home once up to speed. 

We got bullied all over the park in the second half.

These games at the bottom are battles and St J battled better than us.

13 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

If we've learned anything from today, it's that survival will be long journey. Were a long way away from being a good side. We should appreciate every away point we get.

Sadly I have to agree with that assessment.

4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Hearts winning will save us. Hibs losing is a,bonus

Actually that only applies if the direct competition above don't win. 

16 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

If we pick up a point at least from away games and win more of our home games than we lose we will be fine

33 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Countering the high press can’t be as simple as simply pumping the ball long and over the top or it wouldn’t work - anywhere.

I guess the trick is to get so good at the press that the opponent doesn't get the time to play that pass accurately enough that the centrehalfs or goalkeeper can't get there first.

I thought Halloran changed the game for them when he came on.  His pace was too much for us and our full backs were caught too high up the pitch (albeit on Stendel’s orders).  

That said, congrats to White for getting a full 90 mins under his belt today 👏👏👏.

Can't remember such a game of two halves.   Dont know what happened I  the players' heads in that second half.  Take the point and move on.