*** Official St Johnstone v Heart of Midlothian Match Day Thread ***

kila

Just now, Haken said:

Can't remember such a game of two halves.   Dont know what happened I  the players' heads in that second half.  Take the point and move on.

It seemed like we didn’t know what to do since we were winning. Unlike rangers game where we knew we have to battle to hold on

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• E6 Inc

• Francis Albert

• Marvin

21 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Actually that only applies if the direct competition above don't win. 

Arithmetic not your strong point

17 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I thought Halloran changed the game for them when he came on.  His pace was too much for us and our full backs were caught too high up the pitch (albeit on Stendel’s orders).  

That said, congrats to White for getting a full 90 mins under his belt today 👏👏👏.

Never watched it how did he play overall? White?

Edited by One five

1 minute ago, One five said:

Never watched it how did he play overall?

Not too bad.  Caught high up the pitch several times and could have defended their first better.  Still think he’s improved under Stendel.

10 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Arithmetic not your strong point

Educate me on arithmetic. There's an arithmetical formula for the direct competition above Hearts to be winning but Hearts can still overtake them? How does that work? Arithmetically.

1 minute ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Not too bad.  Caught high up the pitch several times and could have defended their first better.  Still think he’s improved under Stendel.

Good , I’ve always have a soft spot for any player giving 100% in maroon ! If they are not good enough then there is nothing Else they can do  but given it all is all we can ask 👍

28 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

It seemed like we didn’t know what to do since we were winning. Unlike rangers game where we knew we have to battle to hold on

The team session watching the video rerun should be interesting...

3 hours ago, Jap Jambo said:

needs to do his talking on the pitch...

He's right, the longer Stendel has to drive in his message and work with the team to create a cohesive system and sign more of his players the better we will do. 

I think we all knew we were getting Milinkovic lite with Donis :D 

Pasquale for King
10 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Embarrassing eh. Wullie Miller just describe our game as awful. 

Also Pittodrie, Boyce had a bloody bandage on his head but no mention of it. Even Michael Stewart has to ask if they had scored at one point.

Pasquale for King
49 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

O'Halloran and Stevie May always seem pretty good against us.

I had a horrible feeling May would score, Wright seems to have them up for it against us?

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, delpieroismagic said:

Our high pressing will work well at tynie, away from home it'll take longer for players to adjust 

Absolutely, how to defend properly will take time. If we won our home games and don’t lose the away games we will be fine. I wonder what the odds were on a 3:3 draw?

23 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I had a horrible feeling May would score, Wright seems to have them up for it against us?

I'd have signed him for us when he left Aberdeen. I know lots of JKBers don't rate him but he's always decent against us. That approach didn't work with Medhi Taouil though I guess. 😆

I think he'd have been a useful 3rd / 4th striker and would have been better than Wighton, Vanecek, McLean etc

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

I'd have signed him for us when he left Aberdeen. I know lots of JKBers don't rate him but he's always decent against us. That approach didn't work with Medhi Taouil though I guess. 😆

I think he'd have been a useful 3rd / 4th striker and would have been better than Wighton, Vanecek, McLean etc

When you put it like that yeah, Aberdeen played him up front on his own and launched long high balls to him 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🙈. He will do well where he us and go back down south, then go back to Perth to finish his career. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

When you put it like that yeah, Aberdeen played him up front on his own and launched long high balls to him 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🙈. He will do well where he us and go back down south, then go back to Perth to finish his career. 

Always been a decent little player. We could and clearly have done worse.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, cosanostra said:

Always been a decent little player. We could and clearly have done worse.

Definitely.

6 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

If we've learned anything from today, it's that survival will be long journey. Were a long way away from being a good side. We should appreciate every away point we get.

We had 3 key defensive players missing.  We have a new manager building his side.  We came off a victory against Rangers.

I don't share your opinion.

I wonder if Damour is doing everything he can on the training ground or if he's another Perry Kitchen.

We shall see.  At the moment he's not in the picture.

ToadKiller Dog

The rangers result may had us a few steps steps ahead of where we are really ,all things considered it's a decent point .

St johnstone wont be a team in the relegation zone come april may 

Game was certainly exciting if not always for us .but we need to be careful of slipping back into the old managment style of football ,some players look like they still revert to that in occasional times of pressure ,Stendel will get that out of them fully eventually. 

Overall we are still making progress .

Every games a big one just now onwards to Wednesday. 

6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Educate me on arithmetic. There's an arithmetical formula for the direct competition above Hearts to be winning but Hearts can still overtake them? How does that work? Arithmetically.

We beat the direct opposition and the Flumps as they do.

We overtake the direct opposition and drag Hibs into more.

This is in our own hands.

Ernie Eskilsson
35 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

We had 3 key defensive players missing.  We have a new manager building his side.  We came off a victory against Rangers.

I don't share your opinion.

I take it you weren’t at the game?

24 minutes ago, Ernie Eskilsson said:

I take it you weren’t at the game?

Neither were they.  Not playing anyway.  I know that if any club including clubs like Liverpool played with 3 key players in missing they would suffer.

Seymour M Hersh

One thing I thought from watching it on Alba was we'd have lost that game 2 months ago. A decent first half performance negated by a poor second half performance yesterday. However this team is showing a lot more character to keep fighting to the end. Last week we got a deserved victory over SGRFC and this week a deserved point against the divers coached by the cockcheese Wright.  We seemed to deviate back to a CL style second half and Danny won't be happy. Getting that (CL) style completely out of their systems will take a while so we'll need a little patience. 

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

One thing I thought from watching it on Alba was we'd have lost that game 2 months ago. A decent first half performance negated by a poor second half performance yesterday. However this team is showing a lot more character to keep fighting to the end. Last week we got a deserved victory over SGRFC and this week a deserved point against the divers coached by the cockcheese Wright.  We seemed to deviate back to a CL style second half and Danny won't be happy. Getting that (CL) style completely out of their systems will take a while so we'll need a little patience. 

My thoughts as well. Even though we didn’t play well in the second half we kept going. A few months ago we would have just capitulated. 

Nelly Terraces

A Levein era performance, but not a Levein era result. 

Points make prizes - **** performances - yesterdays 'out of jail' equaliser could be crucial & shows we kept on fighting till the end. Good to see.

1 hour ago, Nelly Terraces said:

A Levein era performance, but not a Levein era result. 

Points make prizes - **** performances - yesterdays 'out of jail' equaliser could be crucial & shows we kept on fighting till the end. Good to see.

3 goals away from home in the Levein era performance Nelly??

portobellojambo1
13 hours ago, Cigaro said:

Not necessarily. If we have an effective CDM who can cover when Clare is forward it would be fine. Haven't seen the game today, but it sounds like Sibbick was that until he took a heavy hit, and Irving isn't that kind of player. Could be that Langer plays that role away from home once up to speed. 

You and I simply have differing thoughts on this, and that is normal and not problematic. I think Sibbick's main position is/was as a defender and while the pace of English football may allow him to play/move slightly further forward he may be more liable to get caught out up here, because whether we like it or not the game may not have as much quality as other leagues but it is played almost constantly at 100 mph, where there is little time to stop and think what you want to do next. Its difficult to find a lot about Langer on line, other than he is a midfield player, but again I'd prefer to see him play in midfield rather than as a supplementary full back. It is just my own opinion but even though I like the fact that the emphasis is going to be on looking to score goals and win games I'd feel just a little bit better in the knowledge that if the opposition do come at us the back 4 are all recognised as defensive players.

Edited by portobellojambo1

6 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I wonder if Damour is doing everything he can on the training ground or if he's another Perry Kitchen.

We shall see.  At the moment he's not in the picture.

We tried to get rid of him on Friday according to DS. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

You and I simply have differing thoughts on this, and that is normal and not problematic. I think Sibbick's main position is/was as a defender and while the pace of English football may allow him to play/move slightly further forward he may be more liable to get caught out up here, because whether we like it or not the game may not have as much quality as other leagues but it is played almost constantly at 100 mph, where there is little time to stop and think what you want to do next. Its difficult to find a lot about Langer on line, other than he is a midfield player, but again I'd prefer to see him play in midfield rather than as a supplementary full back. It is just my own opinion but even though I like the fact that the emphasis is going to be on looking to score goals and win games I'd feel just a little bit better in the knowledge that if the opposition do come at us the back 4 are all recognised as defensive players.

Stendel doesn’t see it that way though, Clare is far better going forward than Smith but nowhere near as good defensively. You can teach people how to defend, Clare and the rest for that matter need to master the new defensive system soon. 

Captain Canada

Something is going to have to give once everyone's fit. 

I don't think we'll see Clare, Smith, Sibbick, Langer and Irving in the starting lineup. 

I'd like to see Clare move forward to right mid with Smith at right back. It sounds like Sibbick took a sore one to the ribs yesterday, so maybe we'll see Langer on Wednesday. 

20 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

Something is going to have to give once everyone's fit. 

I don't think we'll see Clare, Smith, Sibbick, Langer and Irving in the starting lineup. 

I'd like to see Clare move forward to right mid with Smith at right back. It sounds like Sibbick took a sore one to the ribs yesterday, so maybe we'll see Langer on Wednesday. 

Smith and Clare will start every game they are for for imo.

portobellojambo1
8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Stendel doesn’t see it that way though, Clare is far better going forward than Smith but nowhere near as good defensively. You can teach people how to defend, Clare and the rest for that matter need to master the new defensive system soon. 

I'll take your word on that, as I've not yet had an opportunity to speak to him. However, he does appear to be a relatively intelligent man, and I'd imagine that although he likes his teams to play on the offensive I'd guess he also wants to make sure that those at the other end of the field can do their jobs. And you are talking about Clare as well, as a previous did when responding. I've not said Clare should drop out of the side, again I'd hope the actual make up of the side is something which will be determined once the manager has had a chance to see it working in the Scottish game a few times, both home and away. It is perfectly possible that the basic style of play won't change per se but different personnel will be used depending on the opposition.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Being pragmatic - draw away against the bottom six and win all home games against them and we’ll stay up. Not that we play to draw but that isn’t a bad result.

At the end of the day since new year we’ve gone from 5 off bottom to second bottom. We keep that sort of form and we will be at least 7th IMO.

But I think we will properly click and really kick on within a couple of games.

August Landmesser
7 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

But I think we will properly click and really kick on within a couple of games.

Iron out the last of the wrinkles v Killie and Falkirk, then perfect it with a thumping win at Parkhead! Suits me

Edited by August Landmesser

If we get effort from all the players I will be a happy man hopefully that will mean staying up which is the top priority this season now, then next season with what I would expect a new squad of players which Daniel can work on challenge for the top six and getting into Europe like the good old days.

Pasquale for King
12 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I'll take your word on that, as I've not yet had an opportunity to speak to him. However, he does appear to be a relatively intelligent man, and I'd imagine that although he likes his teams to play on the offensive I'd guess he also wants to make sure that those at the other end of the field can do their jobs. And you are talking about Clare as well, as a previous did when responding. I've not said Clare should drop out of the side, again I'd hope the actual make up of the side is something which will be determined once the manager has had a chance to see it working in the Scottish game a few times, both home and away. It is perfectly possible that the basic style of play won't change per se but different personnel will be used depending on the opposition.

I think if you read what he’s said on numerous occasions we will play the same way in every game no matter what, its not perfectly possible it’s a fact. We had 5 forwards on the park against Rangers, he put on attacking players on against Aberdeen when we were down to ten men. He played the same way against St Johnstone home and away. It won’t change no matter who we play, he has said as much, we focus on how we play and not the opposition unlike the abject failure that preceded him.
As for my word take the managers, he’s picked Clare over Smith in the majority of the games due to his superior attacking abilities. He will be coaching the defence on how to play the system like everyone else, Clare has been less at fault for goals and chances created by the opposition than the other defenders and GK. Clare has been transformed at RB, he isn’t the same when playing wide right as he’s not running onto the ball. 

portobellojambo1
5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think if you read what he’s said on numerous occasions we will play the same way in every game no matter what, its not perfectly possible it’s a fact. We had 5 forwards on the park against Rangers, he put on attacking players on against Aberdeen when we were down to ten men. He played the same way against St Johnstone home and away. It won’t change no matter who we play, he has said as much, we focus on how we play and not the opposition unlike the abject failure that preceded him.
As for my word take the managers, he’s picked Clare over Smith in the majority of the games due to his superior attacking abilities. He will be coaching the defence on how to play the system like everyone else, Clare has been less at fault for goals and chances created by the opposition than the other defenders and GK. Clare has been transformed at RB, he isn’t the same when playing wide right as he’s not running onto the ball. 

Thanks for your reply. All I can say again is I didn't say Clare had to be the player to drop out of the side. I'm not long home from work and just listened to an interview on Hearts TV by Stendel where he said he is hoping to have Smith back this week and also said he thought Clare played poorly on Saturday, despite his goal. I'm going to opt out here, all I said way back was I'd prefer if the back 4 consisted of recognised defenders,  who plays in the other 6 positions is totally up to them manager, as will be the decision on whether he plays with 4 defenders, or those someone else into a defensive position, something the previous manager was criticised for by the way, i.e. playing people out of their normal positions.

Ricardo Shillyshally
Just now, portobellojambo1 said:

Thanks for your reply. All I can say again is I didn't say Clare had to be the player to drop out of the side. I'm not long home from work and just listened to an interview on Hearts TV by Stendel where he said he is hoping to have Smith back this week and also said he thought Clare played poorly on Saturday, despite his goal. I'm going to opt out here, all I said way back was I'd prefer if the back 4 consisted of recognised defenders,  who plays in the other 6 positions is totally up to them manager, as will be the decision on whether he plays with 4 defenders, or those someone else into a defensive position, something the previous manager was criticised for by the way, i.e. playing people out of their normal positions.

Stendel seems to like his players to be versatile,  whether it's the "sweeper keeper", Clare at RB, Smith in centre mid, sibbick going from midfield toLB etc.. Time will tell if that worksi Hisstyle of p!ay is so far removed fromwhat we've been used to.

Your earlier point about the full backs pushing up the park is interesting. We scored our 3rd because of it, but probably lost the 2nd because Clare was so far up at a time we were down to 10 men. That seemed a bit naive to me.

portobellojambo1
2 minutes ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Stendel seems to like his players to be versatile,  whether it's the "sweeper keeper", Clare at RB, Smith in centre mid, sibbick going from midfield toLB etc.. Time will tell if that worksi Hisstyle of p!ay is so far removed fromwhat we've been used to.

Your earlier point about the full backs pushing up the park is interesting. We scored our 3rd because of it, but probably lost the 2nd because Clare was so far up at a time we were down to 10 men. That seemed a bit naive to me.

I do fully support what he is trying to do, i.e. play a lot more on the front foot, look to score goals etc. But within that style you also have to work on the basis that other sides will try to counter it, and in my opinion, and it is only my opinion, having a back 4 who are all defenders and building your attacking intentions around the other 6 players should be a reasonable option.

1 minute ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Time will tell if that works. His style of p!ay is so far removed fromwhat we've been used to.t about the full backs pushing up the park is interesting. We scored our 3rd because of it, but probably lost the 2nd because Clare was so far up at a time we were down to 10 men. That seemed a bit naive to me.

Rangers' goal started with Clare slipping in midfield and losing the ball.  When the FBs do push up the CBs must be aware of the wide areas.

Pasquale for King
36 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Levein was rightly criticised for continually playing players out of position, the difference is putting Clare there has worked in the main. Everyone, including Clare himself, said we didn’t defend well enough on Saturday. I would prefer great defenders first and foremost, attacking being a bonus, but it I would say all of them apart from Smith are better in an attacking sense.

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Rangers' goal started with Clare slipping in midfield and losing the ball.  When the FBs do push up the CBs must be aware of the wide areas.

It started with Souttar being too weak to hold off Defoe and win the ball cleanly in their half. He was the last Hearts player to touch the ball.

31 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Not meaning that goal in particular because I can’t remember anyone’s positioning but half the time the CB’s are as far up the pitch as the FB’s. We’re gonna lose plenty goals let’s just hope we score a lot as well. So far so good though. 

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Not meaning that goal in particular because I can’t remember anyone’s positioning but half the time the CB’s are as far up the pitch as the FB’s. We’re gonna lose plenty goals let’s just hope we score a lot as well. So far so good though. 

We just need CB's who are pacy and are willing to play one on one alot

1 minute ago, Minturn said:

We just need CB's who are pacy and are willing to play one on one alot

Aye pace helps. Was interesting to see Langer being described as a pacey holding midfielder. Can’t be many of those around. 

Just watching the highlights back. Pereira... ****ing hell man.

We badly needed a goalkeeper in January. 

Edit:  

Once we're mathematically safe I'd play Stone. Seriously, none of our 3 senior goalkeepers offer anything. At least Stone would get a chance to make a senior appearance and much like Hickey, or Gordon an opportunity to give the manager a bit of food for thought going forward. 

Edited by OTT

On 01/02/2020 at 23:49, Tommy Brown said:

We beat the direct opposition and the Flumps as they do.

We overtake the direct opposition and drag Hibs into more.

This is in our own hands.

And that's working out just nicely, right? No wait a minute St Mirren and Hamilton just picked up a point apiece following St Mirren picking up a point at hubz. Not as if every last point is precious at this stage is it?

But never mind, hubz got beat by a team who are not a direct competitor. Just let the direct opposition all hammer hubz. Because this is proving to be such an easy hole to get out of. Right?