Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Francis Albert
17 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

25% of people asking for tests don't have any symptoms.

They are turning up at test centres without an appointment because they are scared :facepalm:

FFS get a fecking grip

If the Government and media and the internet (like on this thread) go out of their way to scare people as they have been doing for months then it is hardly surprising some people are scared. Irrationally scared.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Mighty Thor
18 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

😂😂😂

Hall are **** all like offices. Ones a living space the other isn’t. I presume halls are a household. 

Anyway I’m glad your office hasn’t had an outbreak, however, there has been plenty outbreaks in all manners of workplaces including offices to a much greater extent than any outbreak at Uni or halls. Close them down!!!!!

Old and middle aged ***** ruining It for everyone, with their selfish attitude,  best lock them up. 

The halls buildings i've been in for work would lend themselves to social distancing as they're self contained living spaces with communal areas. You'd imagine that would be easier to stay 'covid secure' in that self contained living space environment than an open plan office with 18 bodies in it every day for 10 hours no?

Middle aged ***** like me would really like to keep working to keep paying our taxes to facilitate these young bucks on their educational journey. Selfish **** that i am.

Pasquale for King
23 minutes ago, Taffin said:

That's all just in your opinion though. Everyone can only see the world through their own eyes. Others will see it differently. There's no need to patronise those who have different priorities. I don't agree with the online learning part, I think collaborative lessons are more important at university than at high school for example. One tends to require discussion, engagement and debate, the other is memorising things to regurgitate in an exam and the latter is much more suited to online learning.

I happen to agree with you that the economy and the workers must take priority though and as such agree with the part in bold. Which of course requires the ending of lockdowns and restrictions which in turn will mean that students can have their normal uni experience. Glad we agree.

The discussion and debate part can be done by Zoom or Teams, it might well help if more shy folk don’t have a room of people looking at them. One of my old lecturers around 12 years was advocating online learning as he could record it and get on with his other work, even if it would hit him in the pocket. The engagement between students might well see more cases all around the U.K. 

The workers should always be the priority and paying them decent wages would stimulate the economy as they would spend more, more than bailing out businesses, and not leave it in a bank account or hoard it in a tax haven. 

jack D and coke
41 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Isn't anything someones does/wants "all about them" and doing what they want?

The vulnerable don't want to shield (I don't think that's actually true) so others need to sacrifice for them. Is that making it all about them?

People don't want to lose their jobs so want others to sacrifice to protect them. Is that making it all about them?

People want to go where they please but not get coronavirus so want others to wear things to protect them. Is that making it all about them?

Prospective students "wants" are no lesser than anyone elses. Everyone has specific wants and need and has a perspective that theirs trump's other people's. 

Bang on man. 
The fantasy that a lockdown and even if there’s another one that it’s magically going to disappear is insane it really is. It’s simply waiting for us to come out and start mixing again. Some seem to want us cornered for years scared to come out and wanting further lockdown and damage to lives, businesses and other ill people. I’d be terrified if I had some illness that needed urgent treatment but it seems absolutely nothing else matters now.
We need to think of there never being a vaccine and go from there. 

Just now, jack D and coke said:

Bang on man. 
The fantasy that a lockdown and even if there’s another one that it’s magically going to disappear is insane it really is. It’s simply waiting for us to come out and start mixing again. Some seem to want us cornered for years scared to come out and wanting further lockdown and damage to lives, businesses and other ill people. I’d be terrified if I had some illness that needed urgent treatment but it seems absolutely nothing else matters now.
We need to think of there never being a vaccine and go from there. 

This is nonsense and you've trapped yourself with your own rhetoric.    Failure to suppress CV could quite easily lead to the very thing you cite as something to be avoided.    Suppressing it will give the NHS a better chance to treat all the other important things.

It has never been suggested that lockdowns is the entire solution or that a lockdown will make CV disappear.    It's all about suppression and pre-emptive protection of NHS resource. 

This limited,  myopic,  polar opposites attitude leads to so much misunderstanding.    

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I Imagine it much it much harder to social distance in halls.  As opposed to a open plan office tbh. 

You think middle aged people are keeping economy turning 😂😂😂

Well if you want to keep working you should maybe start obeying the rules. Clear with office outbreaks middle aged people are too selfish to obey rules. Probably caused by being brought up by boomers. 

Middle aged second biggest group of infections.🤷🏻‍♂️

How would it be harder to follow the rules in a self contained flat?

From the Institue of Fisal Studies

The largest share of the income tax burden – 29 percent – is borne by filers between the age of 45 and 55, with the next largest share – 23 percent – being borne by tax filers between the ages of 55 and 65, those nearing retirement.

They'd be smart to keep us middle aged ***** out there earning right?

30 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

If the Government and media and the internet (like on this thread) go out of their way to scare people as they have been doing for months then it is hardly surprising some people are scared. Irrationally scared.

I don't think people 'have went out of their way' to scare people on this thread.  

3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

That's a worry then. 11 kids in a halls of residence have tested positive.

Has the virus become virtual, travelling through t'internet?

No, because the inevitable happened and some of them decided to have flat parties instead.

jack D and coke
21 minutes ago, Victorian said:

This is nonsense and you've trapped yourself with your own rhetoric.    Failure to suppress CV could quite easily lead to the very thing you cite as something to be avoided.    Suppressing it will give the NHS a better chance to treat all the other important things.

It has never been suggested that lockdowns is the entire solution or that a lockdown will make CV disappear.    It's all about suppression and pre-emptive protection of NHS resource. 

This limited,  myopic,  polar opposites attitude leads to so much misunderstanding.    

Is it? 400k cancer screenings cancelled for one since lockdown? Are you glad you don’t have cancer or what!

Edinburgh Uni have already written out to HoR tenants that there has been a worrying trend of parties and if you are chucked off course there will be no refund of any prepaid rent.

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Is it? 400k cancer screenings cancelled for one since lockdown? Are you glad you don’t have cancer or what!

All those crucial things need to be dealt with.    Let's give the NHS the very best chance of carrying out all non-CV related work.

Hey!!! Crazy idea time.   Let's suppress CV and not allow it to eat up NHS resource.

Mad ******* that I am.

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Communal spaces aren’t designed for social distancing. They are designed for social distancing. They don’t have large open plan areas like office where numbers Can be restricted and all manners of enforceable protections put in place. 

Well top 1% contribute a third over a third of tax income. Not sure that top 1% keep the economy going 🤷🏻‍♂️. The economy is incredibly complex and to be kept going is actually more reliant on low pay and young workers,  I can explain this in a bit more detail but not sure you care 

The middle age are presideing over this and ****ing up. 🤷🏻‍♂️

(I’m middle aged now)

We're not going to agree so we'll leave it there. 

I'm away to indulge in the quintessential middle aged fuddery of golf so enjoy your day :icon14:

4 hours ago, Shanks said:

Interesting article.  Although you aren’t allowed to post anything about Sweden as it doesn’t fit the narrative. 

My mistake I should've known.  The lockdown police will not approve of any questioning of their logic.

9 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Communal spaces aren’t designed for social distancing. They are designed for social distancing. They don’t have large open plan areas like office where numbers Can be restricted and all manners of enforceable protections put in place. 

Well top 1% contribute a third over a third of tax income. Not sure that top 1% keep the economy going 🤷🏻‍♂️. The economy is incredibly complex and to be kept going is actually more reliant on low pay and young workers,  I can explain this in a bit more detail but not sure you care 

The middle age are presideing over this and ****ing up. 🤷🏻‍♂️

(I’m middle aged now)

Do you realise how condescending that sounds? 

Anyone who thinks they can explain the complexities of the economic system in a post on kickback doesn't understand  the complexities of the economy.

Coronavirus: Boris Johnson considering national restrictions on social lives to curb infections

Boris Johnson is considering the introduction of new national restrictions - possibly as soon as next week - as the prime minister races to try and get a handle on the spread of coronavirus.

With COVID-19 cases now doubling every seven to eight days, the government is looking at introducing nationwide restrictions for a short period to try to "short-circuit" the virus and slow the spread of the disease.

Government figures stressed the plans being drawn up stopped short of a full national lockdown, as seen in the spring, when the country was told to "stay at home".

Proposals being worked up for such a "circuit break" could see essential travel to schools and workplaces contining, but restaurants and bars would shut - or perhaps run on restricted hours - and different households would be asked not to mix.

Just political now! Definitely a megalomaniac.

jack D and coke
9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

All those crucial things need to be dealt with.    Let's give the NHS the very best chance of carrying out all non-CV related work.

Hey!!! Crazy idea time.   Let's suppress CV and not allow it to eat up NHS resource.

Mad ******* that I am.

It’s not hardly killing anyone despite all the crazy measures and talk of more insanity meanwhile people are actually dying of deadly diseases. 
What a mad ****er I am eh :lol: 

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Coronavirus: Boris Johnson considering national restrictions on social lives to curb infections

Boris Johnson is considering the introduction of new national restrictions - possibly as soon as next week - as the prime minister races to try and get a handle on the spread of coronavirus.

With COVID-19 cases now doubling every seven to eight days, the government is looking at introducing nationwide restrictions for a short period to try to "short-circuit" the virus and slow the spread of the disease.

Government figures stressed the plans being drawn up stopped short of a full national lockdown, as seen in the spring, when the country was told to "stay at home".

Proposals being worked up for such a "circuit break" could see essential travel to schools and workplaces contining, but restaurants and bars would shut - or perhaps run on restricted hours - and different households would be asked not to mix.

Just political now! Definitely a megalomaniac.

Mate you would tear Boris a new one for literally anything else he does yet your reckon he’s bang on here? 
He’s never been right about anything in his fecking life. 

So about those Spanish deaths that weren't meant to be rising...

Deaths in Spain:

15 July - 4

16 July - 3

17 July - 4

15 September - 156

16 September - 239

17 September - 162

4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Mate you would tear Boris a new one for literally anything else he does yet your reckon he’s bang on here? 
He’s never been right about anything in his fecking life. 

I didn't say he was bang on. I'm just wondering where the posts are from the usual suspects screaming that he's on a power trip and playing political games.

Adam_the_legend
31 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Mad ******* that I am.

the evidence suggests those other things are not being dealt with. It’s not just capacity in hospital. People are foregoing attending hospital to get checked or treated for cancer, heart disease and numerous other very serious issues due to a fear of getting Covid. I read somewhere cancer referrals are down 60% year on year. So we know, based on evidence, that lockdown does not help those with other serious conditions, quite the opposite in fact. 

4 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

the evidence suggests those other things are not being dealt with. It’s not just capacity in hospital. People are foregoing attending hospital to get checked or treated for cancer, heart disease and numerous other very serious issues due to a fear of getting Covid. I read somewhere cancer referrals are down 60% year on year. So we know, based on evidence, that lockdown does not help those with other serious conditions, quite the opposite in fact. 

Sturgeon has said time and again that people should still go for treatment and to get other health conditions checked out. Maybe we need more daily briefings. 2 a day? 

34 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s not hardly killing anyone despite all the crazy measures and talk of more insanity meanwhile people are actually dying of deadly diseases. 
What a mad ****er I am eh :lol: 

More myopic,  limited foresight.    Virus prevalence is still relatively low but rising.   They can already see it seeping back towards an older age profile.   There's a known lag between infection and deaths.    

Stunning number of people who seem incapable of understanding that today's death numbers are subject to change after higher infections and older age groups getting severe cases.

Hiding in an ever-repeating today is fantasy land.    

Edited by Victorian

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Mate I wouldn’t even like to have toothache atm never mind a heart problem or cancer. 
We have the most inept bunch of leaders in our history in both parliaments and people are hanging on their every words. People listening to Matt Hancock?!? What in the living **** :lol: 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

More myopic,  limited foresight.    Virus prevalence is still relatively low but rising.   They can already see it seeping back towards an older age profile.   There's a known lag between infection and deaths.    

Stunningly number of people who seem incapable of understanding that today's death numbers are subject to change after higher infections and older age groups getting severe cases.

Well shield these people surely don’t continue to lock things down? Where is the end game for you? Genuine question? A vaccine??

3 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

@Bugsy Siegel works there.

PHM and all round good-guy  so he's not often on here, but if he see's this tag I'm sure he'd be happy to clarify.

NHS Hospital employees have been told to button it regarding Covid, at least the ones I work in have anyway, I assume it's across the country. These instructions where given before the initial lockdown.

Just now, jack D and coke said:

Well shield these people surely don’t continue to lock things down? Where is the end game for you? Genuine question? A vaccine??

You can shield some people.   It's another lazy misconception to believe that shielding will suppress deaths.    You can't shield the huge numbers of working people who exist whilst dealing with covid hazardous conditions.   You can't shield the huge numbers of otherwise reasonably healthy older people still short of retiral age.    

Covid never really got a chance last time to become prevalent in the working old/sick.    This time it does have that chance.

Shielding is a very limited mitigation.

Adam_the_legend
9 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Sturgeon has said time and again that people should still go for treatment and to get other health conditions checked out. Maybe we need more daily briefings. 2 a day? 

whilst at the same time going on the tele every day scaring the **** out of everyone, even when deaths were at zero for weeks on end. is it any wonder people are terrified to go to check ups?!

7 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Mate I wouldn’t even like to have toothache atm never mind a heart problem or cancer. 
We have the most inept bunch of leaders in our history in both parliaments and people are hanging on their every words. People listening to Matt Hancock?!? What in the living **** :lol: 

My dog would do a better job than Matt Hancock. 

16 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Stunning number of people who seem incapable of understanding that today's death numbers are subject to change after higher infections and older age groups getting severe cases.

What's leading to the increase in older age groups getting it? I thought it was rising because young people weren't social distancing and it was spreading amongst them. Are old people also not social distancing?

5 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I agree. I wouldn't trust a word any of those leaders. We already know that hospital admissions and death rates were manipulated and subsequently reduced accordingly.  We need far more clarity regarding positive cases. How accurate are they? How many, if any, have symptoms? How mild are they in those that do have them. There are 60 people in hospital in Scotland WITH Covid. 60. 

When someone like Chris Whitty or Matt Hancock spout off about x number of deaths within 6 weeks, perhaps they could tell us how many of the 60k deaths that occur every 6 weeks do they think will actually be caused directly by Covid. 

Any full lockdown will not be respected this time round so that particular option is off the table. Any other attempts to restrict our freedoms need to be justified clearly and concisely otherwise they, too, will be disregarded.

Same old crap from Sturgeon today. Critical point blah blah. More restrictions blah blah. No mention of how we will ever get back to normal. Just continue about covid as nothing else matters. 

6 months in and we have not progressed. 

11 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

whilst at the same time going on the tele every day scaring the **** out of everyone, even when deaths were at zero for weeks on end. is it any wonder people are terrified to go to check ups?!

My dog would do a better job than Matt Hancock. 

She's not scaring the shit out of me. What a terrified wee lamb you must be. 

7 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I agree. I wouldn't trust a word any of those leaders. We already know that hospital admissions and death rates were manipulated and subsequently reduced accordingly.  We need far more clarity regarding positive cases. How accurate are they? How many, if any, have symptoms? How mild are they in those that do have them. There are 60 people in hospital in Scotland WITH Covid. 60. 

When someone like Chris Whitty or Matt Hancock spout off about x number of deaths within 6 weeks, perhaps they could tell us how many of the 60k deaths that occur every 6 weeks do they think will actually be caused directly by Covid. 

Any full lockdown will not be respected this time round so that particular option is off the table. Any other attempts to restrict our freedoms need to be justified clearly and concisely otherwise they, too, will be disregarded.

These are the questions we need the MSM to ask but nothing. Its almost like they are not allowed to ask anything. If that's the case then what the hell is going on?!

3 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Same old crap from Sturgeon today. Critical point blah blah. More restrictions blah blah. No mention of how we will ever get back to normal. Just continue about covid as nothing else matters. 

I'm sure if she could just scream 'SICKNESS BE GONE!' and magically make it disappear, she would. 

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Ray Gin said:

I'm sure if she could just scream 'SICKNESS BE GONE!' and magically make it disappear, she would. 

:lol:

It was an unbelievable post from him/her.

jack D and coke
23 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You can shield some people.   It's another lazy misconception to believe that shielding will suppress deaths.    You can't shield the huge numbers of working people who exist whilst dealing with covid hazardous conditions.   You can't shield the huge numbers of otherwise reasonably healthy older people still short of retiral age.    

Covid never really got a chance last time to become prevalent in the working old/sick.    This time it does have that chance.

Shielding is a very limited mitigation.

Ok bud fair enough. 
Just to add I’m only discussing things don’t anything personal👍🏼

13 minutes ago, Taffin said:

What's leading to the increase in older age groups getting it? I thought it was rising because young people weren't social distancing and it was spreading amongst them. Are old people also not social distancing?

Erm... younger people spreading it to older people?   Parents.   Grandparents.   Colleagues.   Community transmission.  

16 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Because not enough people are following the rules.

we must do so or another lock down will happen 

15 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

You have to follow the rules though 

no excuses not to now

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Struggling to see how virus is getting from young person (A) to older person (B) ???

No way.    Come on eh?

Some people don’t have enough brain power to understand how serious it is 

20 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Edgy man's not scared. Meanwhile the sick, elderly and vulnerable may not be as tough as you.

14 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Because not enough people are following the rules.

we must do so or another lock down will happen 

And then what? 

Adam_the_legend
20 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It’s obviously scaring some people so much that they would forego getting tested for cancer to avoid getting Covid. I mean that’s crazy. “Oh I might have cancer but I’ll just leave it so I don’t get Covid”. The fact is even when cases/deaths have been negligible for the last few months we have still had sturgeon on tv every day telling us how scared we should be of this virus. She has to take at least some responsibility for this. 

Both the Scottish and British Governments have made an absolute baws of this. 

What did they expect after they lifted the lockdown? You can't see it. Some people are carriers and spreaders with no symptoms. 

It's herd immunity or GTF now. It's the only way. You can't keep going in circles chasing your tails, shutting down one place and it pops up somewhere else for ever and ever. 

We live on an Island ffs, we had a chance to virtually eradicate it by having a long and absolute lockdown, with no one in or out of the Country. Short term that would have been tougher but long term, it would have meant that it was contained. They didn't do that, they haven't managed to get the virus under control at any point, they've made a baws of it and now we're going to be in and out of lockdown, either partially or otherwise until they find a vaccine.

What a mess. 

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Both the Scottish and British Governments have made an absolute baws of this. 

What did they expect after they lifted the lockdown? You can't see it. Some people are carriers and spreaders with no symptoms. 

It's herd immunity or GTF now. It's the only way. You can't keep going in circles chasing your tails, shutting down one place and it pops up somewhere else for ever and ever. 

We live on an Island ffs, we had a chance to virtually eradicate it by having a long and absolute lockdown, with no one in or out of the Country. Short term that would have been tougher but long term, it would have meant that it was contained. They didn't do that, they haven't managed to get the virus under control at any point, they've made a baws of it and now we're going to be in and out of lockdown, either partially or otherwise until they find a vaccine.

What a mess. 

Doing nothing is not an option mate 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic