Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

2 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Right or wrong I don't know but she is itching to hit Edinburgh and Lothian with the Lockdown restrictions next.

Anything to flex her muscles now it seems. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Europe recording more ‘cases’ than at the height in March but still no significant spike in deaths?  Or do we still need to wait 4/5/6/7/8 weeks.

Ask some of the posters on here. They never stop going  about the supposed   massive jump in  deaths in the future.  Some of them say 4 /6 weeks up to two months. They must have it pencilled in their diaries. Sad.

We always seem to be on the brink of disaster. I dont think Sturgeon has ever said anything positive since it began. 

Was reading some of the comments on Edinburgh live. Disturbing number of people are quick happy to accept lockdown and sit on their lazy backsides all day. Maybe they will change their minds when furlough ends and they are in the dole. 

1 minute ago, Back to 2005 said:

We always seem to be on the brink of disaster. I dont think Sturgeon has ever said anything positive since it began. 

Was reading some of the comments on Edinburgh live. Disturbing number of people are quick happy to accept lockdown and sit on their lazy backsides all day. Maybe they will change their minds when furlough ends and they are in the dole. 

Exactly mate. I notice that a lot on other social media. People actually seem excited about a new lockdown and not at all bothered about the effects on people and the economy.  Selfish ^^^^s.  Like you said too they are obviously not on furlough so dont give a damn about those on it.  Probably quite a few are unemployed anyway so sitting on their arse every day isn't exactly new to them but probably dont get so much hassle from the DWP in lockdown. 

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

:conspiracy:

Nucky Thompson

25% of people asking for tests don't have any symptoms.

They are turning up at test centres without an appointment because they are scared :facepalm:

FFS get a fecking grip

3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

They are turning up at test centres without an appointment because they are scared :facepalm:

FFS get a fecking grip

Its getting quite worrying the hysteria in the last week or so . Its causing things like this. Where will it end? I think i know. A full lockdown. 

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

Its getting quite worrying the hysteria in the last week or so . Its causing things like this. Where will it end? I think i know. A full lockdown. 

:calmdown:

Back home on Planet Earth,   the North East region now put in additional restrictions has seen the average age of new infections rising.    A rising average age of the people getting the virus.    That thing that was mentioned,  not just by people here but by scientists,  and mocked and dismissed as doom mongering.   Maybe it wont translate into severe cases and deaths.    Let's all hope it wont.

50 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

FFS get a fecking grip

Deary me, folk in health services (who need tests) waiting 5 days for results, due to more testing.

There have been nearly 5.5k cases in Scotland since hospitality opened about 9 or 10 weeks ago. Presently there are 51 people in hospital WITH, not necessarily because of, Covid and nearly half as many in ICU now than back then.  What the **** is going on in this country? Where did all this hysteria come from? The sinister SAGE sponsored scaremongering campaign that all UK govts were brow beaten into implementing has left a population that is bereft of any sense of reality or perspective. 200 people die every week in Scotland with respiratory illnesses but we don't read out the stats every day. Thousands of people with numerous other, more serious, illnesses are missing out on vital treatment because the govt cannot see past this Covid obsession.  Not to mention the mental health and economic implications of lockdown measures.  Johnson, Sturgeon, Hancock and others have simply painted themselves into a corner and haven't a clue how to get out of it without losing face and damaging their respective careers and political agendas.

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Shanks said:

Europe recording more ‘cases’ than at the height in March but still no significant spike in deaths?  Or do we still need to wait 4/5/6/7/8 weeks.

[Updated data for September 17]
Latest COVID-19 figures for French hospitals:
• 3,223 new hospitalizations in the last week (+46% week-on-week)
• 535 new ICU admissions (+44%)
• 230 new deaths (+56%) https://t.co/Ox2kRuJj8k

Someone I work with has a cold and was sent home from the office. Kid went back to school last week and like every year she got a cold... sent home because of a snotty nose, no fever. 

It will be interesting to see where we end up going down that route... 

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

There have been nearly 5.5k cases in Scotland since hospitality opened about 9 or 10 weeks ago. Presently there are 51 people in hospital WITH, not necessarily because of, Covid and nearly half as many in ICU now than back then.  What the **** is going on in this country? Where did all this hysteria come from? The sinister SAGE sponsored scaremongering campaign that all UK govts were brow beaten into implementing has left a population that is bereft of any sense of reality or perspective. 200 people die every week in Scotland with respiratory illnesses but we don't read out the stats every day. Thousands of people with numerous other, more serious, illnesses are missing out on vital treatment because the govt cannot see past this Covid obsession.  Not to mention the mental health and economic implications of lockdown measures.  Johnson, Sturgeon, Hancock and others have simply painted themselves into a corner and haven't a clue how to get out of it without losing face and damaging their respective careers and political agendas.

Valid point.    There is a large volume of non-CV workload to get through.    All of the really important,  often time critical,  conditions that need to be diagnosed,  referred,  treated,  operated on,  checked up on,  etc etc.   All of the ongoing workload of elective surgery to deal with.   All of the backlog of things that mounted up due to the situation earlier ij the year.   A vast amount of very important business.    Winter flu season around the corner with all of the additional strain that brings.

Governments could just turn their backs on CV and concentrate on everything else.    But that wouldn't seem so smart if a resurgent CV places a profound demand on resources when everything else needs done.    Would they not be better to remain acutely aware of CV and remain cautious?    To suppress the additional demand CV may heap on NHS resources.    To maximise the resources devoted to all the important other things.

Resource is finite.    Ignore CV and risk reducing what else can be carried out?    Suppress CV and protect what can be carried out?

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Valid point.    There is a large volume of non-CV workload to get through.    All of the really important,  often time critical,  conditions that need to be diagnosed,  referred,  treated,  operated on,  checked up on,  etc etc.   All of the ongoing workload of elective surgery to deal with.   All of the backlog of things that mounted up due to the situation earlier ij the year.   A vast amount of very important business.    Winter flu season around the corner with all of the additional strain that brings.

Governments could just turn their backs on CV and concentrate on everything else.    But that wouldn't seem so smart if a resurgent CV places a profound demand on resources when everything else needs done.    Would they not be better to remain acutely aware of CV and remain cautious?    To suppress the additional demand CV may heap on NHS resources.    To maximise the resources devoted to all the important other things.

Resource is finite.    Ignore CV and risk reducing what else can be carried out?    Suppress CV and protect what can be carried out?

Yes, I agree that there has to be a certain degree of caution. It appears so far, and hopefully it continues, that a majority of cases are asymptomatic, across various age groups, and there hasn't been an increase in hospital admissions and deaths. 

It is a difficult balancing act but, eventually the balance may have to swing back towards those who actually need treatment now. 

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, I agree that there has to be a certain degree of caution. It appears so far, and hopefully it continues, that a majority of cases are asymptomatic, across various age groups, and there hasn't been an increase in hospital admissions and deaths. 

It is a difficult balancing act but, eventually the balance may have to swing back towards those who actually need treatment now. 

Correct.    So CV cannot be ignored.    There is indeed a balancing act.   But when faced with a difficult balancing act,  they'll need to prevent every bit of demand that can be prevented.   

The future is unknown re what demands CV may add to the already stretched thin resources.   Very little right now but if they wait until a larger problem rears it's head,  it will already be too late.   Areas of France are already declaring near saturation point of ICU due to resurgent covid.   We can see those warnings.   We had warnings before acting at the very start of this and mistake were made.   Are we really about to see the same mistakes being made again?

22 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Correct.    So CV cannot be ignored.    There is indeed a balancing act.   But when faced with a difficult balancing act,  they'll need to prevent every bit of demand that can be prevented.   

The future is unknown re what demands CV may add to the already stretched thin resources.   Very little right now but if they wait until a larger problem rears it's head,  it will already be too late.   Areas of France are already declaring near saturation point of ICU due to resurgent covid.   We can see those warnings.   We had warnings before acting at the very start of this and mistake were made.   Are we really about to see the same mistakes being made again?

Fair point but for every affected area in France there are other success stories; Italy, Belgium and Sweden for example. So, we have to be cautious but also realistic and practical imo

3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Fair point but for every affected area in France there are other success stories; Italy, Belgium and Sweden for example. So, we have to be cautious but also realistic and practical imo

Agreed.    Varying effects being seen in different places.    It's unpredictability seems to be it's most consistent feature.    

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

[Updated data for September 17]
Latest COVID-19 figures for French hospitals:
• 3,223 new hospitalizations in the last week (+46% week-on-week)
• 535 new ICU admissions (+44%)
• 230 new deaths (+56%) https://t.co/Ox2kRuJj8k

Updated for 17th September

France- 14 day cumulative number of covid-19 deaths per 100,000 is 0.5 

So 5 deaths for every million people over 2 weeks. The UK has 3 deaths per million people.

More people have probably died strolling to the shops for their newspaper

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Dangerous post! Hope no one in your family gets this bad. 

4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

So 5 deaths for every million people over 2 weeks. The UK has 3 deaths per million people.

Why does no one get it that the COVID juggernaught has just started the engine back up and is about to kick into 1st gear and  Take us back to the death rates of the darkest days of  the panedemic? 

Is it a coping mechanism for people to say it’s all bull? 

Nucky Thompson

Scottish residents urged not to cross the border unless essential.

Aye ok then :D

North Northumberland are being put under restrictions when the covid numbers are low in the area.

Northumberland is a big area, it's a bit unfair to lump the whole North East together

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Why does no one get it that the COVID juggernaught has just started the engine back up and is about to kick into 1st gear and  Take us back to the death rates of the darkest days of  the panedemic? 

Is it a coping mechanism for people to say it’s all bull? 

Well you're entitled to believe that, I believe it will be nowhere near as bad 

2 hours ago, Back to 2005 said:

A lot wont have jobs to go back to, hard times ahead.

16 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Dangerous post! Hope no one in your family gets this bad. 

I hope no one in my family, or anyone else's family for that matter, gets any one of a number of illnesses or diseases, some of which are far more dangerous than this virus. The problem is that a section of the population have been brainwashed into believing that Covid is the biggest threat to an, otherwise, risk free life. Unfortunately,  1200 people die every week in Scotland but, only a miniscule proportion of the affected families are given first ministerial sympathy every lunchtime.

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I thought they changed the process / method so that the daily numbers included only those in hospital because of Covid!? 

Isn’t that why there was such a decrease from 250 odd to 48?

If not, what was the number before counting?

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I hope no one in my family, or anyone else's family for that matter, gets any one of a number of illnesses or diseases, some of which are far more dangerous than this virus. The problem is that a section of the population have been brainwashed into believing that Covid is the biggest threat to an, otherwise, risk free life. Unfortunately,  1200 people die every week in Scotland but, only a miniscule proportion of the affected families are given first ministerial sympathy every lunchtime.

COVID is highly infectious and is a threat. Stop being one of these idiots who play it down enabling others to do likewise or we will be in a mess. 

2 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

I thought they changed the process / method so that the daily numbers included only those in hospital because of Covid!? 

Where did the hysteria come from, try the media, that is doom and gloom, best avoided,

Just now, spirt of 98 said:

COVID is highly infectious and is a threat. Stop being one of these idiots who play it down enabling others to do likewise or we will be in a mess. 

You believe what you want. I will base my opinions on actual data and facts rather than unfounded doomsday predictions from a multitude of vested interest groups. Each to their own.

16 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Are you a tabloid sub-editor?

Come on man, there's only one infection more dangerous than covid and that's the hysteria that goes along with it. Don't get swept up in it.

I am on the frontline of this virus and stare it straight in the face in a daily basis. I watch the trends and use my common sense to come to the theory that this virus is similar to flu we are approaching flu season and will all be moving in doors soon as the weather is now pants. This will allow rapid spread of the virus through the population. People have gave up with the rules and that is the perfect storm. 

6 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

You are quite correct. Previously, someone who may have contracted Covid in March, recovered and was back in for an unrelated reason; they were counted as Covid. Now, they have to have tested positive while in hospital orc14 days prior to that. It doesn't mean, necessarily, that is why they are in hospital. It may be but it may not. That is my understanding of it.

Interestingly the news is on and looks like France is leading the start of wave 2. But it’ll go away it’s self. Honestly Marseille hospitals are becoming overwhelmed again....... but wait it’s all fake made up keek. 🤔

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I don't know what you do for a living/volunteering/hobby, and if you are in any situation that deals with infectious diseases then I hope you take appropriate care of yourself and those around you.

The term 'frontline' suggests a war. This is not a war. The use of war-like terminology only feeds the monster that is the hysteria around covid.

People have given up on the rules for different reasons. For many, it's because they can see right through them, and those who are imposing them.

The 'frontline' in Scotland involves 50 hospital cases across all health boards. 

He'll not be staring at much daily

Doctor FinnBarr
25 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

A lot wont have jobs to go back to, hard times ahead.

We're lucky Harry (me and the Mrs). I work for the Coop and she works in some fish place in Livi so none of the 2 of us has been furloughed. Can see plenty places being shut down/shut after furlough finishes.

Counting ourselves as being lucky at the moment.

The Mighty Thor
54 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The numbers are low aren't they? Mind you they started low first time around too.

The trends are the ones to watch and they are climbing quite steeply. 

If dying strolling for a paper was rising at +55% I'd probably just get my news from the TV 👍

Nucky Thompson
9 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Ok let’s revisit this in a few weeks. 

2.4.6 or 8 weeks?  Once they're up, let's wait until the end of Winter?

4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

2.4.6 or 8 weeks?  Once they're up, let's wait until the end of Winter?

It's hard to believe someone "in the frontline" would adopt that kind of tone in his posts. If involved, it's more likely in a spin doctor role with @scotgov.  Or possibly a small shareholder in a pharma company

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Scottish residents urged not to cross the border unless essential.

Aye ok then :D

North Northumberland are being put under restrictions when the covid numbers are low in the area.

Northumberland is a big area, it's a bit unfair to lump the whole North East together

I agree with what you are saying there. We need to look at each area and decide whether it is a hot spot of infections or not. I wouldn't be going on a pub crawl in Sunderland for instance but a day out to rural north Northumberland, stopping off for a meal somewhere should be allowed unless it rises out of control there too. Right now it hasn't.

12 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I heard on the tranny this morning that NHS Lothian are refusing to put a number on the outbreak, due to patient confidentiality. 🤔

Freshers week this week so it would be fair to assume that the case numbers in that demographic will increase. 

Of course this discerning virus doesn't affect the young likesy. 

Edinburgh Napier University's Freshers Week was last week and all events were just online things. No big parties. 

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Tbf, that's likely not true and just you being you. 

51 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The numbers are low aren't they? Mind you they started low first time around too.

The trends are the ones to watch and they are climbing quite steeply. 

If dying strolling for a paper was rising at +55% I'd probably just get my news from the TV 👍

Really?!? The risk would still be incredibly small.

Do you drive? As I'd imagine the risk of doing that is probably 1000x the risk strolling for a paper would be even it it had raised by 55%

So whays the plan for a pandemic?

Lockdown then open things up. Cases go up so lockdown again. Then presumably open up until....

Remind me of the definition of madness again....

Or the politicians could admit they made a mistake. 

jack D and coke
12 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

So whays the plan for a pandemic?

Lockdown then open things up. Cases go up so lockdown again. Then presumably open up until....

Remind me of the definition of madness again....

Or the politicians could admit they made a mistake. 

They’re magic politicians. They’re going to make the bad disease go away this time. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic