Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Thunderstruck
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

There is an issue. The suppliers have diverted orders bound for Scotland to the English NHS , when they were only supposed to divert the pandemic stockpile for England, that Scotland has their own as well. They fecked up .

The supplier may have got his wires crossed, made an honest mistake.  

You will not, however, convince the conspiracists that it isn’t some Machiavellian plot conceived by Matt Hancock. It wasn’t, he has better things to do with his time. 

The issue could have been shut down yesterday morning but doubt was again cast at lunchtime. Now the mob is howling at Jason Leitch, another man with better things to do. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I did warn you the other day Red:whistling:

It's a roller-coaster! :) 

Edited by redjambo

That Jenny Harries hasn't been at the last few briefings. Has she gone down with it? She seemed to be at them all initially.

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, redjambo said:

I have a similar thing with the country paths I walk near the house. Some short sections are what I would call "bottlenecks" where you have a fenced field containing beasts on either side so you can't socially distance if two folk are walking towards each other within the bottleneck. I would have thought that the protocol would be that the first person to hit the bottleneck gets right of way and the other stands to the side at the end until they've passed. But no, I've had folk, even groups  of folk, come into the bottleneck while I'm walking through it. My only recourse is to turn around, walk back and take a different route. Some people just don't appear to have empathy at all regarding how what they are doing is affecting other people. The other one is two folk walking together - they should get into single file if they require to do so to pass someone while maintaining an adequate social distance. But do they? Almost never. Bar stewards. :)

Yes this annoys me too.  Union canal is the worse with joggers and people just walking.  The pathway can be narrow at some points.  When i see a jogger coming along i turn away from them and face away until they are clear.  But some literally brush passed me nearly.  ! arghh.  Also if i feel people are walking towards me and getting too close I just do the same again , turn away from them. It feels pretty ignorant but its for my own and their safety.  I think most people socially distance well.  

coconut doug
42 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

You will not, however, convince the conspiracists that it isn’t some Machiavellian plot conceived by Matt Hancock. It wasn’t, he has better things to do with his time. 

The issue could have been shut down yesterday morning but doubt was again cast at lunchtime. Now the mob is howling at Jason Leitch, another man with better things to do. 

Is there anybody who has said Matt Hancock is to blame for this? i haven't seen them so perhaps you could substantiate your claim with some evidence.

Who is howling at Jason Leitch? What has been said about him that isn't true?

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think you’re right and have answered the question in the last paragraph. 

Yes this is how i will go i think . I also think that social distancing will last a long time and big events . clubs / pubs will not be open for a long time. I can see a rise in pop up bar type places which would be placed outside ie. Meadows etc so it would be easier to socially distance.  ? 

1 hour ago, Thunderstruck said:

I supect what has happened is that the DHSC intended to write to suppliers to tell them only to supply the UK but some numpty has written "England" instead - they've been doing it at the Olympics  and in war films for decades. All a storm in a teacup. 

If this crisis has taught me anything it is that there are a lot of really, really stupid people in the World...

1 hour ago, Thunderstruck said:

👍

coconut doug
5 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

So, now that Sturgeon has accepted there is no issue, are you going to retract the nonsense you have posted.

I suspect not. 

For your enlightenment.
Myth (noun) - A fictitious story, person or thing. 

The issue has not been absolutely resolved. Jeanne freeman said she still wanted further clarification on some points. Is there anything wrong with that?

Nicola may think there is no issue and there may well be no issue but that has nothing to do with our conversation which was about your comment saying a myth had been exploded.

I know what a myth is and so does everybody else. It really would be a step forward if you could stop patronising people so frequently.

There is no myth, the story stands up in every aspect. Scottish care homes were unable to buy while at the same time English care homes could. Scottish and welsh customers were informed that this restriction was a result of a government instruction. This explanation appeared on at least one company’s website. The government did instruct companies not to sell outside England.  This I believe is the substance of the story that you claim is a myth and was exploded by Jason Leitch. https://nation.cymru/news/uk-government-document-says-ppe-suppliers-will-only-supply-care-providers-in-england/   Of course if this is not the case perhaps you could tell us which myth you are referring to and who it is that said it.

As far as I can see the notion that this was a sinister Westminster plot was started by you with your “exploded myth” comment. When Jason Leitch referred to the notion that PPE was being diverted by describing the idea as absolute rubbish he was being asked about the story in the Times. As far as I know there was nothing in the Times article that wasn’t factual. This comment and other things I found out led me to believe that the article was factual but was not a Westminster plot. This is why in my response to you I said “You may be right though that this thing is a misunderstanding but it most definitely is not a myth.”

IMO your exploded myth comment was an attempt to get some anti-English reaction which you could exploit in a time of national emergency when the devolved governments were working well cooperatively and where there was a clear agreement to suspend normal party rivalry. The only reaction you got though was from me wishing to debunk your exploded myth notion. Now you are trying to twist things by claiming there are conspiracists on here who believe there are Machiavellian plots against Scotland. I’ve not seen this and suggest it is all in your head.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes this is how i will go i think . I also think that social distancing will last a long time and big events . clubs / pubs will not be open for a long time. I can see a rise in pop up bar type places which would be placed outside ie. Meadows etc so it would be easier to socially distance.  ? 

Not a bad idea, a one person show kind of like the coffee stalls in police boxes. 

scottishguy
5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Good point. Some just don’t get it though 😜.

656E07A2-422C-42B9-A548-2414E60C7C78.jpeg

If you read that at the top of the stairs, you will be in the same side of the stairs as the folk coming up!!!

6 minutes ago, scottishguy said:

If you read that at the top of the stairs, you will be in the same side of the stairs as the folk coming up!!!

:notsure:

Trumpy heidbangers in Michigan are out on the streets in large numbers protesting the lockdown order given by the democratic Governor

:cornette:

scottishguy
19 minutes ago, graygo said:

:notsure:

Yes. If your at the bottom and sign says use the right and if your at the top and it says use the left. You are both on the same side.

Stand next to a wall with your right hand against the wall and pretend you are going upstairs. Now turn around and your left hand will be against the wall. ;-)

6 minutes ago, scottishguy said:

Yes. If your at the bottom and sign says use the right and if your at the top and it says use the left. You are both on the same side.

Stand next to a wall with your right hand against the wall and pretend you are going upstairs. Now turn around and your left hand will be against the wall. 😉

I had a cheeky and dismissive response lined up and then realised you were right - that wording is completely ambiguous. :D

It should have said something like "always keep to the left hand side no matter which direction you are going" or similar.

9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I had a cheeky and dismissive response lined up and then realised you were right - that wording is completely ambiguous. :D

It should have said something like "always keep to the left hand side no matter which direction you are going" or similar.

Back in school.

Pasquale for King
58 minutes ago, scottishguy said:

Yeah that’s the joke mate, glad you got it though some folk don’t 😱🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🙈😜🤪.

Edited by Pasquale for King

29 minutes ago, scottishguy said:

Stand next to a wall with your right hand against the wall and pretend you are going upstairs. Now turn around and your left hand will be against the wall. 😉

Christ Almighty.

Apologies mate, I thought it was obvious why the poster posted it 

Thanks for the explanation though. 😁

Quite worrying to think there's some as daft on here as the person who made the sign. (Looking at you Red)

Edited by graygo

Thunderstruck
24 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

The issue has not been absolutely resolved. Jeanne freeman said she still wanted further clarification on some points. Is there anything wrong with that?

Nicola may think there is no issue and there may well be no issue but that has nothing to do with our conversation which was about your comment saying a myth had been exploded.

I know what a myth is and so does everybody else. It really would be a step forward if you could stop patronising people so frequently.

There is no myth, the story stands up in every aspect. Scottish care homes were unable to buy while at the same time English care homes could. Scottish and welsh customers were informed that this restriction was a result of a government instruction. This explanation appeared on at least one company’s website. The government did instruct companies not to sell outside England.  This I believe is the substance of the story that you claim is a myth and was exploded by Jason Leitch. https://nation.cymru/news/uk-government-document-says-ppe-suppliers-will-only-supply-care-providers-in-england/   Of course if this is not the case perhaps you could tell us which myth you are referring to and who it is that said it.

As far as I can see the notion that this was a sinister Westminster plot was started by you with your “exploded myth” comment. When Jason Leitch referred to the notion that PPE was being diverted by describing the idea as absolute rubbish he was being asked about the story in the Times. As far as I know there was nothing in the Times article that wasn’t factual. This comment and other things I found out led me to believe that the article was factual but was not a Westminster plot. This is why in my response to you I said “You may be right though that this thing is a misunderstanding but it most definitely is not a myth.”

IMO your exploded myth comment was an attempt to get some anti-English reaction which you could exploit in a time of national emergency when the devolved governments were working well cooperatively and where there was a clear agreement to suspend normal party rivalry. The only reaction you got though was from me wishing to debunk your exploded myth notion. Now you are trying to twist things by claiming there are conspiracists on here who believe there are Machiavellian plots against Scotland. I’ve not seen this and suggest it is all in your head.

There simply aren’t enough Facepalms. 

If times were different, I would suggest that you get out more. 

scottishguy
6 minutes ago, graygo said:

Christ Almighty.

Apologies mate, I thought it was obvious why the poster posted it 

Thanks for the explanation though. 😁

Quite worrying to think there's some as daft on here as the person who made the sign. (Looking at you Red)

Phone wont let me put emoji things on here, I know it was tongue in cheek.

Thumbs up

11 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Let’s say we start easing off restrictions towards the start of May.

How do people feel about ‘mingling’ again? Would you be happy to go out for something to eat or you going to be cautious until this plays out?

How would you approach returning to normality?

Will do my job come home and stay away from folk as much as I can and just do what I have been doing with my wife and son , playing in the garden and going for a wee walk which we had been doing before goverment lockdown to social distance

Edited by vegas-voss

14 minutes ago, scottishguy said:

Phone wont let me put emoji things on here, I know it was tongue in cheek.

Thumbs up

:D I didn't. On the other hand, it was difficult coming back over from the Reconstruction thread on the Terrace where discussion is as serious as anything at the moment and then being able to recognise humour. Does that count as an excuse, albeit an extremely feeble one, @graygo?

Just now, redjambo said:

:D I didn't. On the other hand, it was difficult coming back over from the Reconstruction thread on the Terrace where discussion is as serious as anything at the moment and then being able to recognise humour. Does that count as an excuse, albeit an extremely feeble one, @graygo?

Hard for me to judge as I've not been brave (stupid) enough to even open that thread. 😁

Just now, graygo said:

Hard for me to judge as I've not been brave (stupid) enough to even open that thread. 😁

:D Don't! There be demons within.

40 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

How do people feel about ‘mingling’ again? Would you be happy to go out for something to eat or you going to be cautious until this plays out?

I suspect restaurants, bars, clubs, cinemas, theatres etc will remain closed for most of the summer.

Edited by Ray Gin

Fluorescent Adolescent

Have been furloughed since the Government ordered lockdown. Been told today I’ll be back at work on 4th May.

45 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Soon as pubs are open I am straight in for a pint and some lunch. Do my bit for herd immunity. 

13 minutes ago, Fluorescent Adolescent said:

Have been furloughed since the Government ordered lockdown. Been told today I’ll be back at work on 4th May.

That is interesting, what industry do you work in if you don't mind me asking ?

Fluorescent Adolescent
7 minutes ago, steve123 said:

That is interesting, what industry do you work in if you don't mind me asking ?

Non essential production.

8 minutes ago, Fluorescent Adolescent said:

Non essential production.

Cheers interesting, hopefully slot more going the same way.

36 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I suspect restaurants, bars, clubs, cinemas, theatres etc will remain closed for most of the summer.

Social distancing and common sense will be required as part of the relaxation, so yep, these will be at the back end.

42 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Soon as pubs are open I am straight in for a pint and some lunch. Do my bit for herd immunity. 

Good lad!

See when you need a pish though?  Don’t go down (or up) the wrong side of the stairs.  :) 

You’ll be likely to meet @graygo  or @redjambo having fisticuffs.

ps.  Just pee outside.

30 minutes ago, Cade said:

Trumpy heidbangers also protesting en masse in Ohio, demanding that everything go back to normal right away

Seen Trump nuts in Michigan protesting with their assault loaded guns in Michigan. Open carry state.   

12 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

What age is your son? How do you feel about his social life being hampered? 

I look at my kids and do feel for them. They can’t go to play with their friends. Common activities such as parties and sleep over seem the stuff of dreams for them right now. 

I do think we are going to have to get used to a different way of life.

Only just turned 3

I do understand this is a lot tougher doing the social distancing than it is for myself.My wife finds it tougher than me cause she is close to her Mum and Dad and her Sister who all live near but other than missing them she is also coping well with it.

Edited by vegas-voss

gordiegords

Got told today I was going back to work probably on the 4th of May, yet have no idea where that date came from. I work in the motor trade.

5 hours ago, coconut doug said:

The “Westminster told firms not to sell to Scotland” line came from The National front page yesterday morning. They are the only people who have suggested that WM have been involved in any way and without any substance. 

Was that an attempt to get an anti-English reaction with its readership? 

As for your comments earlier about working together with the rest of the UK... of course I agree with that but the SNP are trying too hard to be different for the sake of it. The u-turn late last night on business grants for businesses with more than one property was embarrassing. They should have matched the UK policy to remove any confusion. They lied while defending their original stance too by claiming we have more small businesses in Scotland than in the rest of the UK, something which their own data proves wrong. 

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I'd likely go out for a spot of dinner somewhere nice.

Barring the invention of some Jedi vaccine we can't hide from this thing forever.

Anyway, standards of hygeine in the post apocalyptic world will be a lot higher than they have been probably ever.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Good lad!

See when you need a pish though?  Don’t go down (or up) the wrong side of the stairs.  :) 

You’ll be likely to meet @graygo  or @redjambo having fisticuffs.

ps.  Just pee outside.

:D I hope he's a southpaw.

48 minutes ago, gordiegords said:

Got told today I was going back to work probably on the 4th of May, yet have no idea where that date came from. I work in the motor trade.

Your boss is a Star Wars fan, perhaps?

Dagger Is Back
2 hours ago, Cade said:

Trumpy heidbangers also protesting en masse in Ohio, demanding that everything go back to normal right away

We’re supposed to be in California for 3 weeks in July. Genuinely worried that the dozy beggars will be open for business 

21 minutes ago, graygo said:

Afraid not, it's a haymaker money shot or bust for me. 😁

Thank goodness I'm only four feet five. I'll make sure I'm on a lower step as well. :biggrin2:

Just before I pop off to my kip, I thought I should check the latest figures. The U.S. figures are awful: only a couple of states to report and they've got almost 30,000 new cases and almost 2,500 new deaths. France, who are now also incorporating deaths outside hospitals, had over 1,400 new deaths today. This is far from over.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Also, here's the chart for hospital and ICU patients in Scotland. Let's hope we're going to slide down the other side of that bell curve, and that there won't be too long a tail (with folk recovering as the reason for their exit from hospital, obviously).

1795631814_Screenshotat2020-04-1600-57-41.png.7eb7d7e1c00617bb6ecf179bed26d439.png

Edited by redjambo

8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Just before I pop off to my kip, I thought I should check the latest figures. The U.S. figures are awful: only a couple of states to report and they've got almost 30,000 new cases and almost 2,500 new deaths. France, who are now also incorporating deaths outside hospitals, had over 1,400 new deaths today. This is far from over.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Also, here's the chart for hospital and ICU patients in Scotland. Let's hope we're going to slide down the other side of that bell curve, and that there won't be too long a tail (with folk recovering as the reason for their exit from hospital, obviously).

1795631814_Screenshotat2020-04-1600-57-41.png.7eb7d7e1c00617bb6ecf179bed26d439.png

Is it bad I don't give AF how many people die in America?

Edited by Lovecraft

Bindy Badgy
4 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I'll take it slowly. Stick to going to friends' houses rather than the pub at first and so on.

Unknown user

I haven't been out much at all the last couple of weeks, it was a bit of a shock to see the amount of traffic on the roads and people out and about.

Obviously you have to assume people have good reason but it's MUCH busier than before I was self isolating, wasn't expecting that.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic