Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, Barack said:

It's i8 101. Sorry to hear about your friend.

It was touch and go over the last 3 or 4 days mate, but thankfully she's managed to regain control of her breathing better today, and also doesn't feel as shitty. 

53 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I've stuck up for you in the past, on issues I dont give a shit about and Hearts issues that I do.

This has been a very good thread, informative and very friendly. I am in High risk category, it means a lot to me.

Do us all a favour and **** off.

Excellent post, I'm exactly the same in both sticking up for him in the past, and also being in the high risk category, it means a lot to me also, stay safe bud. 👍

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Calling the Chinese Virus doesn't make it racist because some racists decide to jump on a band wagon. 

But entirely irresponsible

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

Indeed, but doing it retrospectively as Trump and I8 do is intentionally provocative, and based on my own stated opinion above, incorrect, as it is no longer restricted to China geographically or Chinese people...It is as spurious as England trying to say they invented football - when we all know modern football was invented by Scots!

Agreed.

Malinga the Swinga

Good to see that the US managed to work in the same bi-partisan spirit as the goverment in this country when they tried to get their package through to legislation.!

Most powerful country in the world and all sides acting like children squabbling over a toy. 

10 minutes ago, sadj said:

how does that compare to Italy’s spike witht he 14day difference?

Quite considerably fewer deaths.

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Good to see that the US managed to work in the same bi-partisan spirit as the goverment in this country when they tried to get their package through to legislation.!

Most powerful country in the world and all sides acting like children squabbling over a toy. 

The fun times will really start if it is the US which develops the cure first...

13 minutes ago, sadj said:

Not sure. I’ve searched for a recent graph but can’t find a relevant one yet.

Edited by Dannie Boy

13 minutes ago, sadj said:

327 for UK, 464 for Italians. They were hitting 3 digit daily totals by now. Encouraging but nothing to be getting complacent about. 

3 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

You just have to look at the Tube scenes to see a lockdown is imminent. Insanely late imo

All those pesky keyworkers trying g to get to work.

Malinga the Swinga

I will go for closure of all non essential businesses.

I will go for help for self employed.

Not convinced total lockdown will be announced.

Depends on who we see at the pedestals.

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, Dino Velvet said:

Where are people getting the information about the cobra meeting from? 

Announced on all news channels. No agenda info though.

2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

All those pesky keyworkers trying g to get to work.

But it's not just them, is it? If it was, that would be acceptable. 

OmiyaHearts

I would think it will be Key Workers only that are allowed to use transport or go to work.

Nothing changing for me then😄😒

4 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

But it's not just them, is it? If it was, that would be acceptable. 

How do you know? Or indeed, if not then what do you think the ratio is to valid commuters and non valid ones?

Edited by hughesie27

I think the first measure should be similar to Germany’s as in only out in twos maximum. From what I can see today the social distancing is starting to be observed aside from groups of teenagers. Public transport is another issue they need to address buses are still busy. 

I know thats only only an observation from my small part of the city but I’ve seen a huge difference today.

Visiting suspended at all hospitals in Fife

NHS Fife is to ban visitors to its hospitals from Wednesday.

The health board's nursing director, Helen Buchanan said: “We do not know how long these arrangements will remain in place, it will likely be for a number of weeks.

“In the meantime, we would encourage visitors this evening and tomorrow to consider bringing in technology, such as phones or tablets, which will help ensure patients remain connected to family and friends, along with other essential items.”

Visiting - with some restrictions - will still be allowed in the neonatal unit, maternity services, children’s ward and hospices.

25 minutes ago, Jeff said:

No 5pm conference. If that's not a sign then I dunno what is

Later. Cobra meeting now. 

Probably more restrictions.

16 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Where are people getting the information about the cobra meeting from? 

News outlets.

BBC News.

I P Knightley
8 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Italy has now gone as far as any democratic government possibly can. These are its instructions for anyone who needs to go out (eg. to buy food or exercise). I think they're useful for anyone. Any errors in the translation are mine.

ETxZmqFXQAE3Mfw?format=jpg&name=900x900

1. When you get home, try not to touch anything.

2. Take off your shoes.

3. Disinfect your pet's paws if they came with you. 

4. Take off your clothes and put them in a laundry bag. These clothes should be washed at at least 60 degrees.

5. Leave your purse, wallet, keys etc, in a box at the entrance.

6. Take a shower and wash all exposed areas (hands, wrists, face, neck, etc) well.

7. Wash your phone and glasses with soap and water or alcohol.

8. Clean the surfaces of what you bought with bleach before putting them away. Prepare the bleach with 20ml per litre of water. Don't forget to wear gloves.

9. Carefully remove the gloves, throw them away and wash your hands.

10. Remember: it is not possible to disinfect everything. The objective is to reduce the risk.

1. I will not buy this record; it is scratched

2. My hovercraft is full of eels

3. etc.

(Sorry, it's what I thought of when reading through. Simple pleasures)

scottishguy

I work at Mitsubishi in livingston, all sent home early and not to return until Thursday morning. No idea what will happen then.

Over a thousand employees work here. All the young ones jumping for joy about 2 days off, they just dont get what's going on.

1 minute ago, scottishguy said:

I work at Mitsubishi in livingston, all sent home early and not to return until Thursday morning. No idea what will happen then.

Over a thousand employees work here. All the young ones jumping for joy about 2 days off, they just dont get what's going on.

Won't be so happy when they get to the pub...

1 minute ago, scottishguy said:

Strange move to say they want you back in on Thursday.

Not that strange that folk are happy they don't need to go into work for a while whilst still being paid.

Why is Hancock pushing this Emergency Powers Bill through Parliament rather than getting his own house (the NHS) in order? RCN has had to appeal direct to Boris to get PPE shortages addressed...

Edited by Spellczech

5 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Why is Hancock pushing this Emergency Powers Bill through Parliament rather than getting his own house (the NHS) in order? RCN has had to appeal direct to Boris to get PPE shortages addressed...

It's brutal. Not like they've had no prior warning.

They've had weeks to get everything into place. I don't know if I'm ultra critical or if I'm watching total cluster ****. It just seems we're lagging behind rather than be proactive . I really don't have much faith in the UK government

AlphonseCapone
21 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

This might or might not be of interest to folk, and it's obviously all my own doing so not to be taken as scientific fact. But I was messing around with a very rudimentary predictive model and so far tracking fairly well to actual UK deaths.

What was interesting for me today was it was closer to the UK figure today than what would be expected using the simple same approximate figure as Italy approach. Though obviously yesterday it was 11 out. Tomorrow's estimate for the UK is to be at 353 deaths. Italy's equivalent figure for tomorrow is 463 so that's a decent difference. Be interesting to see how the prediction does. 

Anyway, like I said, might be of interest to some. Others will no doubt think I'm sad and they're probably correct 😁

Screenshot_20200322_194443.jpg

Screenshot_20200322_194505.jpg

20 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Good mate. I'm a saddo collecting the data too.

It was good to see our death toll want a bit less than Italy's equivalent after almost mirroring them.

The figure I'm watching is Italy's critical.

It stands at 3000, on a upward.

So my prediction was out by 15 on today's actual figure. What's interesting and cautiously optimistic is the current divergence from Italy. The graph below shows as a rate the gap between what happened in Italy exactly 14 days ago and us now is widening (red and blue lines). The yellow line and table is my predictions which aren't awfully out of line. 

Tomorrow's prediction is the UK being at 402 deaths. 

Screenshot_20200323_171114.jpg

Screenshot_20200323_171056.jpg

Brighton Jambo
4 minutes ago, robbo1874 said:

They've had weeks to get everything into place. I don't know if I'm ultra critical or if I'm watching total cluster ****. It just seems we're lagging behind rather than be proactive . I really don't have much faith in the UK government

It’s funny I was watching and thinking the opposite.  The range of government and civil service activities this impacts is just unbelievable.  The level of cross party Cooperation I was seeing was genuinely reassuring.

i don’t think you are being ultra critical maybe just underestimating the scale of the activity That has to be undertaken.

for example it was only yesterday that Italy banned people from going out to exercise.  Despite everything.  Spain and Belgium are struggling hugely to implement social distancing and isolation and the numbers reflect that.  Every country is struggling with this.

im not saying more should not be being done and of course there are elements of inactivity that should be criticised but not one country in Europe has got this completely right.  

8 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

So my prediction was out by 15 on today's actual figure. What's interesting and cautiously optimistic is the current divergence from Italy. The graph below shows as a rate the gap between what happened in Italy exactly 14 days ago and us now is widening (red and blue lines). The yellow line and table is my predictions which aren't awfully out of line. 

Tomorrow's prediction is the UK being at 402 deaths. 

Screenshot_20200323_171114.jpg

Screenshot_20200323_171056.jpg

Thanks for this. Remind me what your prediction is working off if you don't mind?

54 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Not sure. I’ve searched for a recent graph but can’t find a relevant one yet.

57 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Quite considerably fewer deaths.

52 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

327 for UK, 464 for Italians. They were hitting 3 digit daily totals by now. Encouraging but nothing to be getting complacent about. 

thank you guys , couldn’t figure it out myself. Hopefully with these idiots pushing things to what we all think will be a total lockdown that trend will continue. 

3 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

The forum gives him that platform. 

Only if people reply to him. Leave him to his ravings 

26 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Greggs closing all shops tomorrow 

Explains the last minute COBRA meeting then. 

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

a death toll that is less than suicide 

The suicide toll is not accelerating. 

Health care services have capacity to cope with the normal level of deaths by suicide.

Pay some attention at the back, will you?

1 hour ago, tian447 said:

Flattening-the-curve-of-COVID-19.jpg

The healthcare system capacity will be affected if we end up in the dark green profile as healthcare workers are more likely to fall ill. Therefore, the dotted line would take a dip.

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

FWIW he is right about calling it the Chinese Virus.  It's not remotely racist.

If you and I (and everyone else) called it the Chinese virus from the get-go, it wouldn't be racist. 

But it's widely known as COVID-19 or Coronavirus. 

Trump's chosen to call it Chinese virus (a) because he's a massive child and wants to point the blame anywhere but at his own shortcomings and (b ) because he's a massive racist and (c) he doesn't care about upsetting others and the knock on effect that his words may have.

People choosing to follow suit and use Trump's words fall into one or more of these three categories. 

Arguing it's not racist is like folk arguing that calling Pakistani people by the abbreviated form of "Pakistani" is not racist because it's simply that: an abbreviation, just like we are Scots. It's a pedantic workaround to justify their lazy racism. There are other widely accepted terms to use - why not just use one?

Just now, XB52 said:

Only if people reply to him. Leave him to his ravings 

Doesn’t matter if people reply to him or not. They are not the ones responsible for what he posts. 

12 minutes ago, robbo1874 said:

My mate is a nurse at ARI and directly involved with the corona testing and ward/s? there. She was in an awful mood the other night and her words were “i dont give a **** about free cake and coffee , I just want adequate ****ing PPE”

1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

The suicide toll is not accelerating. 

Health care services have capacity to cope with the normal level of deaths by suicide.

Pay some attention at the back, will you?

The healthcare system capacity will be affected if we end up in the dark green profile as healthcare workers are more likely to fall ill. Therefore, the dotted line would take a dip.

If you and I (and everyone else) called it the Chinese virus from the get-go, it wouldn't be racist. 

But it's widely known as COVID-19 or Coronavirus. 

Trump's chosen to call it Chinese virus (a) because he's a massive child and wants to point the blame anywhere but at his own shortcomings and (b ) because he's a massive racist and (c) he doesn't care about upsetting others and the knock on effect that his words may have.

People choosing to follow suit and use Trump's words fall into one or more of these three categories. 

Arguing it's not racist is like folk arguing that calling Pakistani people by the abbreviated form of "Pakistani" is not racist because it's simply that: an abbreviation, just like we are Scots. It's a pedantic workaround to justify their lazy racism. There are other widely accepted terms to use - why not just use one?

I think most people are moving away from coronavirus to simply covid or covid-19 as more info has come out and its been more widely said that Coronaviruses are not new and this is just a different strain. Chinese virus is just plain dumb to refer to it as. Bat eating ******* virus maybe

Big Slim Stylee
1 minute ago, sadj said:

My mate is a nurse at ARI and directly involved with the corona testing and ward/s? there. She was in an awful mood the other night and her words were “i dont give a **** about free cake and coffee , I just want adequate ****ing PPE”

Round of applause.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic