Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Leonard just asked why other places with similar numbers were in different tiers, the FM didn’t answer that just the same stuff about keeping us all safe, moving places like Glasgow down to tier 3 flies in the face of that. 
A vicious circle, the more people who don’t believe in these restrictions the more they will break them, with Edinburgh suffering more than others. 

That’s one of her great skills , being evasive , ie not answering a question asked . 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, sadj said:

Draft Project’s occasional licence was due for renewal on Friday, but the decision was delayed until a public hearing could be held today.

It meant the venue was forced to stop serving alcohol over the weekend.

Councillors on the licensing board were tied 3-3 on whether to renew the permission, with convener Marie Boulton casting the deciding vote.

Environmental health and licensing officers did not object to the licence being approved, and neither did the police – although north-east commander Ch Supt George Macdonald did push for a ban on televised sport and the 10pm limit for service.

Licensing convener who decided the vote: ‘ Moment of madness could equally have turned into a level of sadness for an awful lot of people’

Ahead of the decision, Mrs Boulton said: “I’m not taking away from what happened – it was unacceptable but it was a very unique set of circumstances.

“We heard from Mr Scott that they staffed up for that evening but I don’t think it would have mattered if they had doubled, or even tripled, it – the problem was the event itself.

Barry Clarkson was all over it the morning after it happened contacting people he knows to remove the video from their social media. His ex head doorman told him where to go 🤣

I can understand that, it was virtually impossible to stop it. Like the pubs that had to throw folk out before the penalties were taken against Israel and left their TVs on so people could watch outside. 
The guidelines do say you’re not supposed to make these kind of things “events”. Imagine the upcoming final if pubs were open? I’m surprised we’ve not been blamed yet for not opening pubs but there still time. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

That’s one of her great skills , being evasive , ie not answering a question asked . 

Very much so, like most politicians. 

5 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Sturgeon going against the advice her scientific advisers gave her. The advisers are still saying Edinburgh should be in level 2

Quite annoyingly too. 

4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh might pop down and get a pint today or the morrow ! 

Amstel, Strongbow, Innis&Gunn, Guinness, McEwans 70/-&80/-, Birra Morretti, Stewart’s 80/- and Jarl on cask. All good value at £2.50 a pint. A whole host of possible Xmas presents too, bloody capitalists 🤔😜

10 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I think point about fabric of peoples lives is important.  I get that when pubs first closed in October (I live in Glasgow) there was a view that just suck it up for the greater good.  But three months later with no end in sight it it really becoming a big deal especially given people can’t go to each other’s houses.  

Having a drink with friends might be seen as a nice to have but when you have been stuck in a house working all week with kids thrown into the mix and that has become the norm for months with shit weather to boot, actually being able to get away and have a drink and talk nonsense becomes more than just a nice to have it becomes a mechanism to release the tension and it’s not there.   To have not been legally allowed to have a drink with a mate for nearly three months is absolutely ridiculous and then they wonder why when restrictions are lifted people rip the arse out of it.  

Totally get people saying we should let people do what they want, open more. 

Doubt you would be happy with the number of deaths. That's the hard part for the Government. They can't prove they have saved lives or how many. 

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I think point about fabric of peoples lives is important.  I get that when pubs first closed in October (I live in Glasgow) there was a view that just suck it up for the greater good.  But three months later with no end in sight it it really becoming a big deal especially given people can’t go to each other’s houses.  

Having a drink with friends might be seen as a nice to have but when you have been stuck in a house working all week with kids thrown into the mix and that has become the norm for months with shit weather to boot, actually being able to get away and have a drink and talk nonsense becomes more than just a nice to have it becomes a mechanism to release the tension and it’s not there.   To have not been legally allowed to have a drink with a mate for nearly three months is absolutely ridiculous and then they wonder why when restrictions are lifted people rip the arse out of it.  

Great post. No doubt folk have ripped the arse out of it but most of the folk I’ve seen and myself it’s just been nice to see friends and other folk, even people I don’t like. 
My four closest friends have all been working solidly since lockdown started , Ive only seen them on a few occasions in person since March. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Great post. No doubt folk have ripped the arse out of it but most of the folk I’ve seen and myself it’s just been nice to see friends and other folk, even people I don’t like. 
My four closest friends have all been working solidly since lockdown started , Ive only seen them on a few occasions in person since March. 

People you don’t like 😮 Didn’t think you disliked anyone 😝

There is a huge number taking the piss up here. There is a large number of house parties or beach parties but trying to police that in the countryside is very difficult. Our nearest officers are near enough 20miles away 5 out of 7 days. 

On a serious note the lack of interest in older single people by the council up here after saying they would check in on them is awful. I know in 8/9 months the ones around me who are all single and upward of 70 have been lucky if they have had one call from the council. Yet some wee troublemaker has visits from them every other day to support him whike he smashes his house up and disturbs everyone. Had it not been for the local community helping them or neighbours checking on them they may not have had any interaction in that time

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Wages yes if they take one, some dont.
Profits have been massively hit, depending on the pub and how much stock you had to pour down the drain. If you had opened a keg/cask for instance you couldn’t get the money back for it. Stock that maybe isn’t a big seller are now reaching their sell by dates, as are others. You also have other things like Sky TV that is a huge outlay but can’t cancel for a 30 day period. You then have the rent you pay on the pub, some have just had it deferred which isn’t great. 
A drop in turnover equals a drop in profits, that’s not garbage in any business. Even Heineken for instance will be losing money because they’re not getting the rent or stock being purchased. 
The SG have provided some relief in different areas, but some don’t qualify if they are open selling takeaway that’s much less in total than the grants on offer. 

Publicans with bonafide accounts have been well looked after, if they've passed on the windfall to their staff, that's their prerogative. 

Profit loss is not a reason to Shit the bed and getting by is what everybody should be hoping to achieve.

Business that are new, I feel sorry for them, but established businesses with not so strict finances are reeping what they've sown. 

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, sadj said:

People you don’t like 😮 Didn’t think you disliked anyone 😝

There is a huge number taking the piss up here. There is a large number of house parties or beach parties but trying to police that in the countryside is very difficult. Our nearest officers are near enough 20miles away 5 out of 7 days. 

On a serious note the lack of interest in older single people by the council up here after saying they would check in on them is awful. I know in 8/9 months the ones around me who are all single and upward of 70 have been lucky if they have had one call from the council. Yet some wee troublemaker has visits from them every other day to support him whike he smashes his house up and disturbs everyone. Had it not been for the local community helping them or neighbours checking on them they may not have had any interaction in that time

There has been some great community projects that have sprung up to help the older generations. I’m actually going out my way to bump into folk just for a wee blether, not like me at all. 
If we don’t start getting back to a semblance of normality soon I think we’re all going to be smashing stuff up, maybe just me 🤬🙈.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Publicans with bonafide accounts have been well looked after, if they've passed on the windfall to their staff, that's their prerogative. 

Profit loss is not a reason to Shit the bed and getting by is what everybody should be hoping to achieve.

Business that are new, I feel sorry for them, but established businesses with not so strict finances are reeping what they've sown. 

I’m not that well versed on the grants that are on offer but I don’t think anyone who wasn’t taking a wage before lockdown has had any type of windfall.
We were getting the extra 20% to top up furlough for the first four months until we opened again. 

Some of the people on tv have not come across well or seem to grasp the situation, no doubt about that. 

6 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

You are completely barking mad pal. I really mean that. You need help. 

You really, truly, have been brainwashed by group think. Very troubling and you have my sympathy. 

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Exactly. Suppression has many connotations, BJ.

When I was working and studying (up until the college closed for the pandemic), a pint after a long day of doing both, on my own, with a newspaper, in a pub surrounded by idle chatter and occasional small talk with other punters or bar staff was something I looked forward to every Thursday. 

Similarly, Christmas is the one time all my mates make the effort to meet up properly given everyone's different domestic and work situations throughout the year. 

Small pleasures in life removed - at first with some justification, now at the whim of people who just don't get it. :( 

I know what you mean . Unlike people who moan about Xmas time I love it . Love the Xmas staff night out ( not happening ) the nights out with friends  before Xmas and in the period between Xmas and New year ( not happening ) and just the general happy atmosphere which has been taking away from us . At least Xmas day will be near as normal

for me and my family (they can’t take that away , despite attempts to ) 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

I know what you mean . Unlike people who moan about Xmas time I love it . Love the Xmas staff night out ( not happening ) the nights out with friends  before Xmas and in the period between Xmas and New year ( not happening ) and just the general happy atmosphere which has been taking away from us . At least Xmas day will be near as normal

for me and my family (they can’t take that away , despite attempts to ) 

Oh and the derby usually 

I was gob smacked when Sturgeon in answering a question, that we are fortunate we are not in lockdown like we were at the beginning, really! It’s now illegal for people to cross the boundary’s of tiers 3 and 4 and we could be fined for doings so. That is way more stricter  that the original lockdown. She really thinks we are thick. 

Edited by Boy Daniel

1 hour ago, sadj said:

surely you mean fintastic , to be fair I was hoping to avoid turtle disaster while i waited on someone to mussel in on the subject , I think im the sole one left making them now unless anyone can do betta

Not going to carp on about it but getting a bit sole destroying now. 

Scottish numbers: 10 December 2020

Summary

• 933 new cases of COVID-19 reported [+36]
  • 50 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [+11]
  • 52 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+2]
  • 984 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+12]
  • 23,498 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 4.7% of these were positive [+1,229; +0.1%]

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Ok, if you insist.

They weren't an attractive bunch of lads, were they.

Today's per-board, per-100,000 case stats:

Scotland 17 [+1].

Forth Valley 26 [+9], Fife 24 [+7], Lanarkshire 24 [+2], Ayrshire 22 [+4].

Greater Glasgow 18 [-1], Lothian 17 [=], Western Isles 15 [+15] (4 cases), Tayside 14 [-1], Grampian 11 [-6], Borders 10 [-3].

All others: less than 10.

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Totally get people saying we should let people do what they want, open more. 

Doubt you would be happy with the number of deaths. That's the hard part for the Government. They can't prove they have saved lives or how many. 

I don’t think we should let people do what they want and I never said that.  What I do think is that greater recognition of how much the opportunity to meet friends for a drink is a core part of peoples lives and key to their well being is sorely needed.  I have never heard the government say that.  They constantly say how hard it is not seeing family or not being able to go to peoples houses but that’s not the case for me and thousands of others.  What we miss is a drink with friends.

As has been said so many times pubs and bars with the right measures were some of the most controlled environments I have been in.  By all means keep the early closure time but to just ban it for months and months is ridiculous and given the very slow reduction in case numbers doesn’t seem fully justified to me.  If hospitality was playing such a big part numbers should have plummeted after all these weeks.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

CavySlaveJambo
11 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Today's per-board, per-100,000 case stats:

Scotland 17 [+1].

Forth Valley 26 [+9], Fife 24 [+7], Lanarkshire 24 [+2], Ayrshire 22 [+4].

Greater Glasgow 18 [-1], Lothian 17 [=], Western Isles 15 [+15] (4 cases), Tayside 14 [-1], Grampian 11 [-6], Borders 10 [-3].

All others: less than 10.

Public health Scotland are reporting 30 new cases for Midlothian and 31 for East Lothian.  Looking like it could be reporting delays though.  

10 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I don’t think we should let people do what they want and I never said that.  What I do think is that greater recognition of how much the opportunity to meet friends for a drink is a core part of peoples lives and key to their well being is sorely needed.  I have never heard the government say that.  They constantly say how hard it is not seeing family or not being able to go to peoples houses but that’s not the case for me and thousands of others.  What we miss is a drink with friends.

As has been said so many times pubs and bars with the right measures were some of the most controlled environments I have been in.  By all means keep the early closure time but to just ban it for months and months is ridiculous and given the very slow reduction in case numbers doesn’t seem fully justified to me.  If hospitality was playing such a big part numbers should have plummeted after all these weeks.  

:spoton:

It really exposes the lack of transparency from the Scottish Government where they are trying to use hospitality as a scapegoat, but three months in that isn't fooling anyone.

Its almost as though they are trying to bury the bad news they don't like. 🤔

Mask willingness continues to be harrowing at Victorian's Emporium of Crap Ltd.   It's barely 50/50 and that's over a large sample of people.  Most no-maskers seem to think our shite screen is an obstacle to crane their necks around as well.

Who really knows what the epidemiological effects of such things are bit one effect is that it strips away comfort of safety.  Everyone should be entitled to feel comfortable in their workplace but it's not something available to me at the moment.  

12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Mask willingness continues to be harrowing at Victorian's Emporium of Crap Ltd.   It's barely 50/50 and that's over a large sample of people.  Most no-maskers seem to think our shite screen is an obstacle to crane their necks around as well.

Who really knows what the epidemiological effects of such things are bit one effect is that it strips away comfort of safety.  Everyone should be entitled to feel comfortable in their workplace but it's not something available to me at the moment.  

Can you not insist to your employer that anyone you see is masked?

Just now, redjambo said:

Can you not insist to your employer that anyone you see is masked?

It's not worth the grief mate.  We've tried it but some become ridiculously offensive and argumentative.  It's been better to try to get them in and out as quickly as poss.  Even in normal times people can react quite badly for nothing.

Today's per-100,000 7-day rates around the councils. Tiers are the ones coming into effect tomorrow. Looks like some of the tier 2's need reining in.

7-day per-100,000 cases              
Council Area Tier Today Yesterday   Start of T4’s       8 Dec 7 Dec 6 Dec 5 Dec 4 Dec
Clackmannanshire 3 181 198 -17 165 +16     206 227 194 217 208
Argyll and Bute 2 154 162 -8 31 +123     165 166 176 173 182
East Ayrshire 3 149 148 +1 152 -3     150 132 123 121 114
North Ayrshire 3 145 154 -9 124 +21     155 144 139 136 137
Glasgow City 3 142 146 -4 235 -93     157 159 162 156 155
North Lanarkshire 3 141 142 -1 235 -94     140 156 152 153 159
Renfrewshire 3 128 128 0 260 -132     149 155 152 158 162
East Renfrewshire 3 125 127 -2 195 -70     137 137 154 150 156
South Lanarkshire 3 124 124 0 233 -109     131 138 128 136 146
West Lothian 3 122 123 -1 193 -71     122 116 116 110 114
East Lothian 2 114 99 +15 48 +66     84 76 71 66 63
Fife 3 114 106 +8 116 -2     107 111 105 101 103
Dundee City 3 104 112 -8 102 +2     115 110 104 101 96
Falkirk 2 104 80 +24 85 +19     71 79 76 68 62
South Ayrshire 3 101 99 +2 153 -52     101 100 103 101 103
East Dunbartonshire 3 100 100 0 161 -61     96 105 110 101 100
Aberdeen City 2 96 95 +1 51 +45     80 80 66 73 64
Midlothian 3 93 84 +9 101 -8     99 94 82 86 83
Stirling 3 90 83 +7 210 -120     89 83 70 84 94
Aberdeenshire 2 86 90 -4 64 +22     87 88 92 90 91
Edinburgh City 3 86 89 -3 84 +2     82 77 70 72 67
Perth and Kinross 3 83 94 -11 116 -33     96 94 89 100 100
West Dunbartonshire 3 63 67 -4 142 -79     71 76 70 87 89
Angus 2 55 65 -10 88 -33     59 62 67 64 66
Scottish Borders 1 52 48 +4 74 -22     41 40 37 35 35
Inverclyde 2 51 54 -3 99 -48     60 59 67 57 55
Dumfries & Galloway 1 27 26 +1 34 -7     26 26 23 21 20
Na h-Eileanan Siar 1 15 4 +11 0 +15     4 15 15 15 15
Moray 1 14 15 -1 25 -11     19 16 14 11 11
Highland 1 13 11 +2 19 -6     9 10 18 17 20
Orkney Islands 1 0 0 0 4 -4     0 4 4 4 4
Shetland Islands 1 0 4 -4 13 -13     4 4 4 4 4
Scotland   102 103 -1 135 -33     104 105 99 101 101

800 pupils now isolating from St Matthews secondary, Ayrshire. That's only one year btw

But there's no spread in schools......

Edited by OmiyaHearts

So Nicola playing fast and loose with the truth today. When asked about why Edinburgh was not in Tier 3 she said “Lothian figures” were going the wrong way! Edinburgh figures today are 60 positive cases. That’s a decrease in my book. 

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's not worth the grief mate.  We've tried it but some become ridiculously offensive and argumentative.  It's been better to try to get them in and out as quickly as poss.  Even in normal times people can react quite badly for nothing.

Ah. I was thinking that there might be several of you facing the public and that one or more of the others, perhaps those who've already had the virus, may be more willing to take on the maskless clients.

8 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

So Nicola playing fast and loose with the truth today. When asked about why Edinburgh was not in Tier 3 she said “Lothian figures” were going the wrong way! Edinburgh figures today are 60 positive cases. That’s a decrease in my book. 

In the couple of days leading up to the decision, the cases in Edinburgh City had gone 34, 62, 73, so she was correct in saying that the figures were currently rising.

Case numbers can vary quite markedly from day to day though and Edinburgh had seen similar rises before falling again.

Anyway, here's the graph of Edinburgh's cases over the last 60 days, up to yesterday (from the Travelling Tabby site):

1175712928_Screenshotat2020-12-1015-18-16.png.776c97ec4c029ab8344803eba19ce053.png

Edited by redjambo

9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

A couple had travelled through to Glasgow from Fife yesterday, went in to my Mrs coffee shop. They had a go at my wife because Glasgow is in lockdown and they couldn't sit in for a coffee or go shopping for clothes.

When she told them everywhere was closed for sit in and all clothes shops were shut, they replied 'thanks for your f******g help'. And stormed out the shop swearing at her.😐

If I even had to mention it, they had no masks on either. Always the same type - no mask, no social distancing & rude. 

She's dreading Saturday when the shop is open again for sit-ins. 

11 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

800 pupils now isolating from St Matthews secondary, Ayrshire. That's only one year btw

But there's no spread in schools......

800 pupils in the one year, I doubt that very much.

8 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

A couple had travelled through to Glasgow from Fife yesterday, went in to my Mrs coffee shop. They had a go at my wife because Glasgow is in lockdown and they couldn't sit in for a coffee or go shopping for clothes.

When she told them everywhere was closed for sit in and all clothes shops were shut, they replied 'thanks for your f******g help'. And stormed out the shop swearing at her.😐

If I even had to mention it, they had no masks on either. Always the same type - no mask, no social distancing & rude. 

She's dreading Saturday when the shop is open again for sit-ins. 

It's a shame when a traumatic period that could have resulted in greater social cohesion and understanding has turned into one when our eyes have been opened as to how many completely egoistic and antisocial wallopers there are out there. I had no idea personally that there were so many.

Edited by redjambo

2 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

No one else will take the bait. 

Holy mackerel! Is this pun thing still going?

2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

800 pupils in the one year, I doubt that very much.

Apologies, it wasn't in the one year. I just double checked.

Just now, jonesy said:

All needle and joking aside, you should have a right to feel safe in the workplace. Are you in a union? If your boss isn't supporting you, it sounds like you need a new job.

This.

3 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Why does that mean there is a spread in schools? 

There always has been. Why do so many parents working from home test positive then?

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It's a shame when a traumatic period that could have resulted in greater social cohesion and understanding has turned into one when our eyes have opened as to how many completely egoistic and antisocial wallopers there are out there. I had no idea personally that there were so many.

Majority of people were making an effort early on in the year but I think fatigue has set in now. Prob even more maniacs when they're all asked for track & trace again this weekend!

Just now, jonesy said:

I'm calling bullshit on this one, Omiya.

:liesalarm:

Reveal hidden contents

As if anyone from Fife could afford the petrol to Glasgow, let alone a coffee or to go clothes shopping.

Why? It's almost a daily occurrence that someone gives verbal abuse to her.

10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

In the couple of days leading up to the decision, the cases in Edinburgh City had gone 34, 62, 73, so she was correct in saying that the figures were currently rising.

Case numbers can vary quite markedly from day to day though and Edinburgh had seen similar rises before falling again.

Anyway, here's the graph of Edinburgh's cases over the last 60 days, up to yesterday (from the Travelling Tabby site):

1175712928_Screenshotat2020-12-1015-18-16.png.776c97ec4c029ab8344803eba19ce053.png

I find it confusing when I read the figures (nothing new for me) 

but this taken from TT site. 

0962C8E6-4F76-45B5-9528-70D70A172DD1.png

1 minute ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Majority of people were making an effort early on in the year but I think fatigue has set in now. Prob even more maniacs when they're all asked for track & trace again this weekend!

Yup, you're right with the fatigue aspect. Expect it to get worse in the next few weeks though now that the vaccinations have begun. Folk who have metaphorically been holding their breath since March will probably be prematurely exhaling now, despite the fact that the vaccinations will take a number of weeks to start having a significant effect on the figures. It's only natural that they do, given the light at the end of the tunnel, but if you're shielding yourself and/or others then you need to hold on for the moment and don't change your habits, imo.

2 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I find it confusing when I read the figures (nothing new for me) 

but this taken from TT site. 

0962C8E6-4F76-45B5-9528-70D70A172DD1.png

Which specific figures are causing the confusion?

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

The numbers of pupils testing positive doesn’t support in schools transmissions being a big issue. 

Depends how many school pupils are being tested I suppose.

Has mass testing in schools been done or is it only those showing symptoms?

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Which specific figures are causing the confusion?

The number of cases per day, 60 for today and the cases per week,  68 per 100k. as in the photo I posted. 
🤷‍♂️ I’m not sure how these differ from yours which are obviously lifted of the TT site. I’m sure yours are correct.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic