Sean Clare again

tartofmidlothian

alicante jambo

If messi scored that volley it would be getting shown everywhere. That was some goal hopefully clare can go on a become a fans favourite. Seems to be winning over most now.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Governor Tarkin

• GinRummy

• i8hibsh

• Phil Dunphy

I made a prediction back in the summer that he’d be a contender for POTY.  With all the chopping and changing with the midfield during the summer, I thought he’d come into his own.  Still plenty time on current form for that accolade, albeit as a RB not a CM as I anticipated 👍.

28 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Still not convinced he’s a right back but as a big critic of him, I am delighted to see that has workrate, ability and contribution has improved massively. Classy finish for his goal too. Well done Sean. More of the same on a regular basis please.

Not trying to be pedantic, but I keep reading the critics saying “more of the same please”.  He’s been one of our best players consistently for about 4-5 games now (the majority of games Stendel has managed).  Is there a specific requirement in relation to number of games before we’re allowed to just say he’s a great talent without adding the “more of the same” disclaimer?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

This is what I’m hoping with Stendel - that he can elevate the standard of individuals, even if it’s just by a small percentage. Been a long time since anyone was in consistently good form. Feels like he’s having a big impact 

Some finish. Crazy what a difference there has been in a lot of players just makes you wonder just how bad the coaching and training was previously. 

Very confident we will kick on amd start picking up points from the teams around us and be comfortably safe in mid table in the not to distant future 

He has been shit for most of his time here, but was MotM yesterday, in my opinion, and has been one of our better players over the last few weeks.  

Maybe Stendel can get the best out of him.  There is certainly a noticeable difference already.  

Said it when he who shall not be named was in charge of the team. 

Extremely hard to judge our players when they were given such dire instructions and coaching from the sidelines. Threw every single one of them under a bus on a weekly basis. 

Seems SC has responded well and hopefully he can kick on further.

Someone else nailed it perfectly he has to play with the ball in front of him perfect for wing back role 

Not a good player up top his assets are driving forward 

RustyRightPeg
2 hours ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Still not convinced he’s a right back but as a big critic of him, I am delighted to see that has workrate, ability and contribution has improved massively. Classy finish for his goal too. Well done Sean. More of the same on a regular basis please.

What position would you rather he played then? 

Also, he's been our best player for the last 5 games, how many games does it take to be a regular basis for you?

32 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Someone else nailed it perfectly he has to play with the ball in front of him perfect for wing back role 

Not a good player up top his assets are driving forward 

I agree. When he’s up front he stands around waiting on the ball to come to him, often in the wrong place and not doing much to slip his marker, finding it difficult to get involved. 

When he’s playing deep, he can see where he needs to be next and run in to space. The defensive part of his game is better than I thought and he just looks way more at ease attacking from deep. 

I always thought he'd be an attacking midfielder, playing off the striker and making late runs into the box to finish chances or driving forward with the ball from midfield. Like his goal at killie last season is exactly what I expected of him. Did not expect him to be good at right back. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Seems to be a confidence player. That goal and performance will do him a lot of good. Hopefully the folk slating him week after week will put the same energy into supporting him now.

MarkDevriesScores4
19 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

What position would you rather he played then? 

Also, he's been our best player for the last 5 games, how many games does it take to be a regular basis for you?

He has not been our best player for the last 5 games 😂 He wasn’t even the best player in the last game. Settle down.

im not sure what position he should play, that’s not my job to decide. He clearly is missing defensive awareness though and is not a right back. That much is obvious.

MarkDevriesScores4
21 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Not trying to be pedantic, but I keep reading the critics saying “more of the same please”.  He’s been one of our best players consistently for about 4-5 games now (the majority of games Stendel has managed).  Is there a specific requirement in relation to number of games before we’re allowed to just say he’s a great talent without adding the “more of the same” disclaimer?

Not trying to be pedantic but you’re having a really good shot at it. The point is, we’ve had him for 2 years and for 21 months of that he has been utter crap. 3-4 games playing at a reasonable level does not mean he has erased the lazy useless player we had 2 months ago. Hence more of the same is entirely appropriate.

This season even when the whole team was chronic under Levein l felt Clare was one of our top 2 or 3 performers most of the games he played.

28 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Not trying to be pedantic but you’re having a really good shot at it. The point is, we’ve had him for 2 years and for 21 months of that he has been utter crap. 3-4 games playing at a reasonable level does not mean he has erased the lazy useless player we had 2 months ago. Hence more of the same is entirely appropriate.

Signed in September 2018 so he’s been here 17 months (and the first month or two he was still injured) 

And in the period you say he’s been utter crap the whole team has been, not just him. 

it’s no coincidence that his game picked up under the new manager right away,  he’s gone from playing under a manager who played cautious negative football and didn’t know where to play him, to playing for a manager who says “take risks” and has found a position that suits him. 

MarkDevriesScores4
1 minute ago, scotty2442 said:

Signed in September 2018 so he’s been here 17 months (and the first month or two he was still injured) 

And in the period you say he’s been utter crap the whole team has been, not just him. 

it’s no coincidence that his game picked up under the new manager right away,  he’s gone from playing under a manager who played cautious negative football and didn’t know where to play him, to playing for a manager who says “take risks” and has found a position that suits him. 

Year and a half, apologies. I don’t dispute that he has improved and I’m delighted he has, no one wanted him to fail. My point is that he needs to maintain that level now as he has a lot of making up to do. He was like a lost puppy until 2 months ago. Terrible touch, no awareness and looked completely uninterested. I’m glad that this has changed and for the first time, looks like a footballer. Let’s not pretend he ever looked good before Stendel came in. 

On 19/01/2020 at 10:46, Baxfee said:

Clare needs the love of the crowd. You can see him growing in confidence and talking players on when we all cheer him. Not rocket science but we do have a part to play 

Your spot on.

5 minutes ago, scotty2442 said:

Pretty sure the previous manager got pelters for playing him at right back .

The same manager who had faith in Clare despite the crowd being on his back from day one .

Arguably should have been taken out the team for his own good .

The team as a whole now have a positive mindset and every player , not least Clare , will benefit from that .

Those that gave him such a hard time previously maybe should reflect on how we , the fans , can lift a player 

4 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Year and a half, apologies. I don’t dispute that he has improved and I’m delighted he has, no one wanted him to fail. My point is that he needs to maintain that level now as he has a lot of making up to do. He was like a lost puppy until 2 months ago. Terrible touch, no awareness and looked completely uninterested. I’m glad that this has changed and for the first time, looks like a footballer. Let’s not pretend he ever looked good before Stendel came in. 

I think there was so much frustration because he would show glimpses and then quickly go back to looking like a deer in headlights. In hindsight I think it’s clear now that he was either being played out of position or wasn’t suited to CL tactics/instructions. He’s perhaps not been the best player on the pitch the last 5 games but he’s the most improved player game after game.....and who know where this work rate has come from, I didn’t see that coming 

3 minutes ago, scotty2442 said:

I think there was so much frustration because he would show glimpses and then quickly go back to looking like a deer in headlights. In hindsight I think it’s clear now that he was either being played out of position or wasn’t suited to CL tactics/instructions. He’s perhaps not been the best player on the pitch the last 5 games but he’s the most improved player game after game.....and who know where this work rate has come from, I didn’t see that coming 

Perceptions are strange , his work rate was outstanding previously (admittedly in a poor team) . As shown in the stats . He was constantly described as lazy on here and it was utter nonsense 

Edited by johnthomas

Sean Clare has been poorly managed since the day he arrived. Played in nearly every position on the park, right back, centre mid, lone striker, winger and a wing back. He was a victim, not the only one, of the champ man style approach we had. Different shapes and tactics each week. Different ideas and messages week on week. Add into the mix he was suffering from living up here alone and having confidence issues. We know have a manager that has a clear plan of what he wants and has told the players the same thing at every training sessions and game day since the day he arrived. All of a sudden Clare, and others, who looked levels below the standard required for Hearts, are flourishing. Seem to be playing with confidence and understanding. Almost like hearing the simple message daily is making a huge difference. 

“Clare was lazy” 🙈🙄

I think alot of clares good play comes from the fact that Smith has been moved to CM or CDM so to speak, watching the Airdrie game you could see Smith telling Clare to get forward on more than one occasion and when he did Smith sat back and moved into the RB position. 

Scary thought that Smith is really the only player to see this and manage to move over when required because when Bozanic came on I felt that didn't happen as often. 

Still feel that Clare is playing extremely well and looks a real player now he has abit of stability and a licence to play football again

14 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Perceptions are strange , his work rate was outstanding previously (admittedly in a poor team) . As shown in the stats . He was constantly described as lazy on here and it was utter nonsense 

Problem was on a few occasions he’d lose the ball high up the pitch and then not track back, and cost the odd goal or two. 

22 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

It's not being pedantic at all. 

It would also be true to say that he did not deserve the level of abuse that was thrown at him earlier in the season either. For whatever reason he was picked out as the scapegoat of choice.

2 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

It's not being pedantic at all. 

It would also be true to say that he did not deserve the level of abuse that was thrown at him earlier in the season either. For whatever reason he was picked out as the scapegoat of choice.

Couldn’t agree more 

was the scapegoat when quite frankly the entire team was awful 

MarkDevriesScores4
2 minutes ago, scotty2442 said:

Problem was on a few occasions he’d lose the ball high up the pitch and then not track back, and cost the odd goal or two. 

I watched him time and time again lose the ball and not try to win it back. That happened game after game. That’s why he earned the lazy tag. He’s changed that now and the fans are responding correctly. It’s that simple. The lazy tag was not unjustified in my opinion. I’m glad he has been empowered by DS and he cannot be labelled as lazy anymore.

28 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

The same manager who had faith in Clare despite the crowd being on his back from day one .

The team as a whole now have a positive mindset and every player , not least Clare , will benefit from that .

Those that gave him such a hard time previously maybe should reflect on how we , the fans , can lift a player 

!00% this. 

The fans can lift a player and they can destroy a player.

I’m quite taken aback to see so many people claim they were always a fan of the boy. 

Especially when you consider how few people were arguing for the boy before Stendel came in. 

MarkDevriesScores4
1 minute ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I’m quite taken aback to see so many people claim they were always a fan of the boy. 

Especially when you consider how few people were arguing for the boy before Stendel came in. 

Easy now for people to say “I always rated him, never thought he was lazy”. I thought he was lazy and useless and I’ll admit that. He has now improved and deserves the plaudits. We was poor though and that’s not the fans fault in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Easy now for people to say “I always rated him, never thought he was lazy”. I thought he was lazy and useless and I’ll admit that. He has now improved and deserves the plaudits. We was poor though and that’s not the fans fault in my opinion.

A quick look through my posting history will show that I backed Sean Clare right from the start. The treatment he was getting from the supporters was nothing short of disgraceful. 

3 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

A quick look through my posting history will show that I backed Sean Clare right from the start. The treatment he was getting from the supporters was nothing short of disgraceful. 

Indeed Phil. 40 pages of "disgraceful" on the previous Sean Clare thread. Including abuse thrown at anybody who had the temerity to defend him.

tartofmidlothian
36 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Sean Clare has been poorly managed since the day he arrived. Played in nearly every position on the park, right back, centre mid, lone striker, winger and a wing back. He was a victim, not the only one, of the champ man style approach we had. Different shapes and tactics each week. Different ideas and messages week on week. Add into the mix he was suffering from living up here alone and having confidence issues. We know have a manager that has a clear plan of what he wants and has told the players the same thing at every training sessions and game day since the day he arrived. All of a sudden Clare, and others, who looked levels below the standard required for Hearts, are flourishing. Seem to be playing with confidence and understanding. Almost like hearing the simple message daily is making a huge difference. 

“Clare was lazy” 🙈🙄

Where do you believe those mixed messages were coming from, Busby? Were MacPhee and Daly delegated a lot of the training and game prep in place of Levein?

he plays so much better with the game in front of him, far too much under the previous regime the ball was flying over his head or receiving it with back to opposing goal.

Definite improvement hopefully he can fill the potential we thought he had when he first arrived.

Ainsley Harriott
19 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Same characters that had leveins back last season but still wont admit they called it wrong.

Captain Canada

I don't think it can (or should be) underestimated how far he's come in such a short space of time after being cheered off in Stendel's first game in charge. 

I hope he continues to play like he has recently and get his confidence back. If so, he'll be a massive asset to the team for the rest of the season.

3 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Where do you believe those mixed messages were coming from, Busby? Were MacPhee and Daly delegated a lot of the training and game prep in place of Levein?

Yeah, but we kinda all know that anyway and as much has been said in the press. If you are brought into a club as an attacking midfielder and then asked to play right back, centre mid, wing back etc it’s bound to make you think “what’s going on”. Then the not knowing what formation we will be playing week on week also makes you think “what’s going on”. Like you prepare yourself to be potentially be playing right wing, cause that’s where you played last week and then come the next game day you are being asked to play centre mid. Messes with your head. Players need simple messages and clear instructions. We can see the difference that has made all ready and Stendel has only been here a month. 

15 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

Indeed Phil. 40 pages of "disgraceful" on the previous Sean Clare thread. Including abuse thrown at anybody who had the temerity to defend him.

Also don’t forget the other 44 page mega thread that was lost when the update happened. I argued his case on everyone of them. Near 90 pages, 3600 comments all saying how “lazy” he was and how he was “chicken hearted”. Djoum and Isma suffered the same abuse. 

59 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

well said.

40 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Also don’t forget the other 44 page mega thread that was lost when the update happened. I argued his case on everyone of them. Near 90 pages, 3600 comments all saying how “lazy” he was and how he was “chicken hearted”. Djoum and Isma suffered the same abuse. 

Yes, you are 100% correct busby. I would say it was borderline hysterical ... except there was nothing borderline about it.

Would be interesting to see how many posters thought Clare was lazy compared to those who continued to make excuses for Levein right up to the bitter end.

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

Loving him at RB. Reminds me of Tavernier at Der Hun.

Because of his skin colour?

You've sunk even deeper this time Boy. 

Henrysmithstaxi

He’s class. I’m happy to say he’s proved me wrong. Just needed the right management and confidence. Definitely a confidence player so needed the support of the crowd.

1 hour ago, busby1985 said:

Buaben and Johnsen too.

Weird that. 

8 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Buaben and Johnsen too.

Weird that. 

The Ron Atkinson lazy I wonder? 

• davemclaren locked this topic