What did we learn from that?

tartofmidlothian

Holyrood_Hearts

Stendel likes to play with a “sweeper keeper” which will never be Bobby or either of the other 2 keepers. 

He likes the full backs to push forward & provide width. We got the ball to MacLean & Keena quickly & maybe with better options upfront they’ll hold onto the ball better. 

We don’t have the legs in midfield or forward areas to play a high press. Bozanic & Clare have received most of the criticism but Whelan (& to a lesser extent Walker) weren’t much better.

Edited by Holyrood_Hearts

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hectormasson

• innerjambo

• E6 Inc

• suds66

Top Posters In This Topic

Levein has scorched the earth and poisoned the well.

The players he and MacPhee signed beggar belief.  

To try to turn around this squad is a job of Herculean proportions. 

Ernie Eskilsson

We already knew Clare, Bozanic, Berra, Maclean and Keena aren't good enough so I was pretty disappointed by today's team selection. On the day Berra was a bit better than usual and Bozanic was even worse than usual. Today also proved that you just can't play a high line with someone as slow as Berra in central defence and you can't press effectively with someone as slow as MacLean up front. It proved we're short of pace throughout the team in fact. Today also proved that we really lack a skilfull, attacking central midfielder, we created absolutely nothing. The key now is to build confidence and fighting spirit and to use January to strengthen the team with keeper, central defence, attacking mid and striker being the priorities.

2 minutes ago, Ernie Eskilsson said:

We already knew Clare, Bozanic, Berra, Maclean and Keena aren't good enough so I was pretty disappointed by today's team selection. On the day Berra was a bit better than usual and Bozanic was even worse than usual. Today also proved that you just can't play a high line with someone as slow as Berra in central defence and you can't press effectively with someone as slow as MacLean up front. It proved we're short of pace throughout the team in fact. Today also proved that we really lack a skilfull, attacking central midfielder, we created absolutely nothing. The key now is to build confidence and fighting spirit and to use January to strengthen the team with keeper, central defence, attacking mid and striker being the priorities.

Agree but funnily enough, after taking much deserved flak, Berra stood up on a day when players had to.  

It just goes to show in times of need certain players are always there.  But others on here bang on about Clare etc..who’ll never in a million years give you what you require in times of need. 

3 hours ago, OTT said:

Stendel needs his team. These clowns aren't and turfing out Daly and Fox would hopefully mean we could bring in one other. Punting Levein at the end of the season will free up a hell of a lot of money too. 

TBH if Levein is still drawing a wage the man should never be seen down Gorgie way again. 

All i hear is that levein is as big a jambo as any of us.   Well any self respecting hearts fan would walk away after the shambles he has left.  He has taken alot from the club and gave very little back recently.   Should be embarrassed to still take a wage from the club

2 minutes ago, Elshin said:

All i hear is that levein is as big a jambo as any of us.   Well any self respecting hearts fan would walk away after the shambles he has left.  He has taken alot from the club and gave very little back recently.   Should be embarrassed to still take a wage from the club

There’s no accounting for people’s mentality or attitude aside from the concept we think they are ‘Hearts men’ and have our best interests at heart. 

People who know they are on their way out tend not to give ****.  

All roads lead to Gorgie

It was obvious today that there will be no new manager bounce until we radically change this hopeless squad.

Some don't even look like professional football players to me.

5 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Hopefully more of you happy clapping morons have learnt just how far Craig “Still Has Something to Offer” Levein has ruined us. 

Here here 👏👏

rudi must stay
5 hours ago, Regular John said:

I thought the higher lines left us exposed on quite a few occasions.

We didn’t look any more dangerous or threatening committing more players forward, but the space and time Saints found in behind was alarming.

If you’re going to play like that, you need to have the players to support it and we simply don’t.

Sounds like what Cathro was trying to do (in some games) 3 at the back is always going to be exposed and that's the major flaw in it (wasn't at the game) but the pros outweigh the cons especially when you consider what we were like before and look at the likes of Kosovo, a wee nation but boy can they attack

Stendel says we need to be calmer attacking wise and braver. Maybe not a bad comment, I am still very confident in him. Wednesday is a free game and another 90 minutes of the new style

1 hour ago, Ernie Eskilsson said:

We already knew Clare, Bozanic, Berra, Maclean and Keena aren't good enough so I was pretty disappointed by today's team selection. 

We knew, but I think Stendel had to see it for himself. 

Here’s a scary stat.  Last goal we scored in any competition outside of Edinburgh was 25th August v Celtic (Conor Washington penalty).  Almost 4 months ago!

1 hour ago, maroonsgotop said:

what I learned from today is that relegation is getting more and more likely

That team is an utter shambles !  5 arent good enough to start,,,

I had a spring in my step as I made my way to Tynecastle today, a new first team coach, new beginnings, players who would presumably be anxious to impress the new boss, Andy Kirk as Mr Stendel's right hand man, Levein, McPhee, Fox and Daly nowhere to be seen, yes, it all looked very promising.  What a let down, one of the worst displays ever, passing skills were non existent, they couldn't even get a corner kick high enough to avoid hitting the first defender, how that guy MacLean gets a game I'll never know, the young Japanese player did not impress me at all, the defence was all at sea, the midfield was attrocious, I wondered if it might be worth getting them all tested for colour blindness considering the amount of times that the final pass went straight to one of the opposition, oh, and don't get me started on the goalkeeper, wow! I do have sympathy for the new coach however, he must be thinking, what clown signed half of these guys, never mind Mr Stendel, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, so good luck and happy hunting when the January window opens.

2 minutes ago, Bauldrick said:

I had a spring in my step as I made my way to Tynecastle today, a new first team coach, new beginnings, players who would presumably be anxious to impress the new boss, Andy Kirk as Mr Stendel's right hand man, Levein, McPhee, Fox and Daly nowhere to be seen, yes, it all looked very promising.  What a let down, one of the worst displays ever, passing skills were non existent, they couldn't even get a corner kick high enough to avoid hitting the first defender, how that guy MacLean gets a game I'll never know, the young Japanese player did not impress me at all, the defence was all at sea, the midfield was attrocious, I wondered if it might be worth getting them all tested for colour blindness considering the amount of times that the final pass went straight to one of the opposition, oh, and don't get me started on the goalkeeper, wow! I do have sympathy for the new coach however, he must be thinking, what clown signed half of these guys, never mind Mr Stendel, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, so good luck and happy hunting when the January window opens.

Yoda is a Jambo , who new .....

2 hours ago, Coco said:

I feel sorry for the crap that stendel has inherited ,  itsvgonny be a right old tussle , that's for sure!   That lot are f.....g chronic !!!

42 minutes ago, Bauldrick said:

I’m probably going to get slaughtered for this, but I thought Maclean was decent today. He never stopped running, held the ball up well, and his link up play was decent. If he’d been partnered with Naismith it might have actually worked. 

But I agree, he isn’t remotely of the standard we should be employing, but he’s better than Wighton and Keena, and we’ve not much else to pick from. Uche perhaps, but he’d be knackered after half an hour though.

Having spent my formative years watching Bauld, Wardhaugh, Conn, Mackay, Cumming, Young then over the years watching the likes of Busby, Robbo, Ford, Davie Holt, Hartley, Skacel and a good few others who might have made my favourites list, I find it difficult to stomach the present squad, how many of them in years to come will be remembered fondly by some other old timer when I'm long gone, very few I suspect. A massive clear out is required, and a brand new scouting crew together with more enlightened coaches to be hired.

I think we, the fans, learnt nothing new today.

I hope Stendel learnt that without major changes we will probably be relegated.

How Budge thinks the idiots that assembled this ‘team’ should be in charge of youth and recruitment is beyond belief.

Actually it’s not beyond belief considering the amount of bampots who have spent this week desperately justifying her piss poor management.

Three managers, head coaches, call them what you will. Three managers this bunch of shitebag players have failed to turn up for. I’d chase the lot bar Smith and Hickey. The rest are a fecking disgrace to the jersey.

If Michael Smith is (and he probably is) one of our best players, we really are in trouble. 

All I see is a squad of journeyman/has beens/underachievers. It's so utterly depressing. I'm not as old as many of the other posters but I honestly can't remember watching a team so devoid of workrate and basic footballing ability. 

3 hours ago, Ernie Eskilsson said:

Wingers are the priority for me. Pace and width win matches.

3 minutes ago, communist said:

If Michael Smith is (and he probably is) one of our best players, we really are in trouble. 

All I see is a squad of journeyman/has beens/underachievers. It's so utterly depressing. I'm not as old as many of the other posters but I honestly can't remember watching a team so devoid of workrate and basic footballing ability. 

I’ve watched Hearts for 45 years. This is the worst team I have seen. Other teams lacked talent but tried at least. This team lacks everything. I’m utterly appalled by them.

40 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Agreed

He will now know who some of the imposters are ? And that we a need a goalie asap!! Among a lot of other players "  hopefully he can bring in his own men  ,,

Budge was very happy with Levein and thought he done a great job. She kept him in power through all the lows and rewarded his failings with a new gig. Shame on all you who worship her.

I believe the manager will have learnt a great deal, he had to see it for himself and in some ways I'm glad it was so quick, nowt worse than a group of players dramatically changing with a new gaffer then resorting to type. 

Learn nothing I haven't witnessed as a supporter unfortunately. 

J.T.F.Robertson
20 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Budge was very happy with Levein and thought he done a great job. She kept him in power through all the lows and rewarded his failings with a new gig. Shame on all you who worship her.

Give it a rest, ffs!

"Worship". :rolleyes:

A word mentioned above rings most true - HABIT.

Theyre used to being shit with no repercussions, so the losing performances is the standard now.

Quite scary

If anyone thinks we’re too big to get relegated, wise up.

5 hours ago, Jarhead said:

I think we, the fans, learnt nothing new today.

I hope Stendel learnt that without major changes we will probably be relegated.

How Budge thinks the idiots that assembled this ‘team’ should be in charge of youth and recruitment is beyond belief.

Actually it’s not beyond belief considering the amount of bampots who have spent this week desperately justifying her piss poor management.

Correct.

People on here who actually watch Hearts regularly can see this yet are faced with nonsense all over this board when it’s brought up. 

These guys being kept on is unbelievably detrimental. Losers.

10 hours ago, Coco said:

MacPhee hasn’t signed anyone......he was the assistant manager.

Assistant Managers don’t sign players.

We played a higher line than usual, Halkett didn't respond well to it.

We were very direct in the first 30 almost bordering on long ball.

In the 2nd half Saints sat back and we had no idea how to break them down

Out of the squad I think I would keep Hickey, Halkett, Walker, Naismith, Washington, Souttar, Haring and Smith. Maybe Darmour and Mulraney would get a second chance.

Looking for a total squad of around 24, we therefore need about 14 players in January. 14 new players. How the feck have we gotten to that level?!

Said it a few times, this is hands down the least likable group of Hearts players I've ever seen.

6 minutes ago, Glottis said:

We played a higher line than usual, Halkett didn't respond well to it.

We were very direct in the first 30 almost bordering on long ball.

In the 2nd half Saints sat back and we had no idea how to break them down

Our CB's always look so exposed and that's got to come from the CM's IMO.

2 new CM's and a new keeper and our defense will all of a sudden look half decent*

*I hope

9 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

Here here 👏👏

Hopefully not ruined us as far as getting relegated !      " it's a big possibility" weve lost twice to killie ,,,well ,,and st johnstone,among 3 other defeats,,and it's only mid December???let's hope we get a bit of luck,and players back,,,forgetting wednesday,, saturday and the hibs and aberdeen games are massive " 

15 hours ago, Space Pirate said:

That Levein has left us in the shit, wasted a fortune and is still hanging around getting a hefty wage. 

Spot on,  I fear for us right now

39 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

What I learned is it's going to take time and lots of patience but I'm 100% behind the new manager 

Absolutely, we need to get rid behind him in the transfer window and empty as many as possible. To think AB, is happy to put Austin in a role overlooking recruitment .......... deary me and people are still defending the set up

It should have been ten
8 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Three managers, head coaches, call them what you will. Three managers this bunch of shitebag players have failed to turn up for. I’d chase the lot bar Smith and Hickey. The rest are a fecking disgrace to the jersey.

:spoton:

6 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Quite a few players who were successful elsewhere... now just written off as shit...  hmmm... 

What is your point?

2 minutes ago, Hot since 86 said:

What is your point?

It’s just an observation. These are players who have done well at other clubs until coming here. The current malaise I suspect is down to what someone mentioned above - the players are used to losing. Some of the players will not be good enough, certainly, but there’s others out there who are not playing to the best of their abilities. Pretty sure Stendel will fairly quickly realise which is which and do the necessary.

GorgieFifeLife
27 minutes ago, E6 Inc said:

Out of the squad I think I would keep Hickey, Halkett, Walker, Naismith, Washington, Souttar, Haring and Smith. Maybe Darmour and Mulraney would get a second chance.

Looking for a total squad of around 24, we therefore need about 14 players in January. 14 new players. How the feck have we gotten to that level?!

Said it a few times, this is hands down the least likable group of Hearts players I've ever seen.

Walker, Washington, Damour and Mulraney are not good enough either.  4 year deal for Naismith is also a joke, I think he is finished.  There are questions over the long term fitness of Souttar and Haring has been out for a while and had setbacks. Hickey will likely be sold.  That doesnt leave us a lot to go with and unless we have some youngsters ready to step up we need virtually a whole new squad.

1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

It’s just an observation. These are players who have done well at other clubs until coming here. The current malaise I suspect is down to what someone mentioned above - the players are used to losing. Some of the players will not be good enough, certainly, but there’s others out there who are not playing to the best of their abilities. Pretty sure Stendel will fairly quickly realise which is which and do the necessary.

Correct, I thought you were trying to say something else but I agree with you.