*** Heart of Midlothian v St Johnstone Official Match Thread ***

rmreido

Lovely feeling this morning walking the dog and really  looking forward to the game this afternoon. My son has been talking about it all week and is excited about going as well. Nice to have the positivity back and hope the new gaffer kick starts the change today. Good luck Daniel, come on Hearts!

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• sadj

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, TheTrumpet said:

0-0 all over it. Players trying to adopt a new style. Players not suited to a new style. St Johnstone well drilled and stuffy. No obvious goal scorer in either team.

0-0 all over it. 

I'm sure I'm not the first to say to you, FTH. Joined less than a month ago and every single post having a go at our club, especially our best player

Just now, buzzbomb said:

the team is going to be all about running. Think there will be a few surprises. Centre mid and up top. 

Who you thinking?

25 minutes ago, kila said:

Heavy rain and 40mph gusts forecast. 

Going to be gegensplooshing. 

:) day for the kite and some apple strudel...

Just now, GinRummy said:

Who you thinking?

You’ll need to wait and see mate. The reaction will be interesting though, but definitely it’s an indication of what’s to come.

2 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

You’ll need to wait and see mate. The reaction will be interesting though, but definitely it’s an indication of what’s to come.

Yeah, if he plays 4-4-2 I’d think Keena might find a spot. Hotly anticipated line up.

1 hour ago, moby said:

I think he’s going to ring the changes today, reason being Stendel will be looking for runners all over the pitch. He also likes 2 deep lying midfielders, but I don’t think we have enough legs in any of the players we have in that position. Clare and Damour are probably the fittest guys who could play there, but quite frankly I would not trust them in CM atm! So I’d like to see Irving and hopefully Whelan who can talk him through the game.

Shoot me down for this but I think he may be able to get a tune out of Clare in CM. He played well there against Aberdeen 1st game and then away at Motherwell in the cup. I know it’s only a couple of games, but to be fair to the laddie he keeps getting moved position every week. This week will probably be too early to throw him in there though as he will need a bit of work on his positioning.

I also think Whyte will play as Stendel is all about getting crosses into the box, so we need to have a balance (left footer at left back), Brandon and Hickey do a job there but it slow the attacks down when players are constantly cutting inside. Hickey is 2 footed but his crosses are usually pretty poor.

I really do think Berra needs dropped, for the sake of the team and for his career at Hearts. He seems to be at rock bottom just now, he was absolutely woeful first half against Livingston, so it’s time for Smith to step up for the captaincy.

We should play 2 wide men so that we can get on the front foot as quickly as possible, we only have 2 players in the squad that are capable of giving the running which are Morrison and Mulrane. Both have bags of potential but the end product often lets them down, but I think the new system will really suit them as it’s all about playing it quicker.

Up top is the problem, as nobody really looks convincing lately, I don’t think Walker is fit enough atm and MacLean well he is an old man. So this is gonna be a big test for Uche, I’d hope that we stop lumping the ball up to the guy cos all he is interested in doing is having a wrestling match with the centre halves, and it seems like everyone has him sussed out. When he’s running through on the shoulder and has the ball played into feet he can be unplayable, this could be a real asset if we have runners up with him who can play off.

We don’t have another striker that is good enough to play off him at the moment so I think it will be Meshino in behind him as he should have intelligence to play there if the ball is played to him quick enough. I do also think Whighton will get a chance in the next few weeks, he played in behind the striker in the reserve derby and looked really sharp that day, bringing a lot of ppl into play with decent touches and switching it out wide. Once he gets a goal I think he will be a really decent player for us, if played in the right position.

Anyway line up i’d like to see as follows,

Joel

Brandon Halkett Smith Whyte

Whelan Irving

Morrison                      Mulraney 

Meshino 

Uche

Morrison spent his Thursday night, the first week playing under a new manager, at Ibrox watching Rangers. I’d prefer he was no where near the side, terrible attitude and not really acceptable given the clubs position. 

Agree with Berra tho. He’s never a captain on the field and his performances have been shocking. Some time off will help, hopefully. Stendel wants his players on the ball constantly and Berra gives me the fear with the ball at his feet. 

Mulraney is suspended.  

Whelan was training by himself and I doubt will make the squad. 

Uche I can’t see featuring but you never know. He is the worst striking option we have and I hate saying it but I’d rather we played MacLean than Uche. An area of the park I hope to see the biggest improvement in. Uche will always be a target man for this crop of players and he’s useless at it. MacLean is the only one with the energy to play a high press. How sad a statement is that. 

Just a wee nugget of info on Hickey. The deal to city is at a stage now where Hickey is now looking for an agent so that they can negotiate the best deal for personal terms. He had a meeting with one on Thursday. 

I think we will see as close to 433 today as Stendel can manage. 

Joel

Brandon Smith Halkett Hickey 

Bozanic Damour Clare 

Walker MacLean Meshino 

39 minutes ago, kila said:

Heavy rain and 40mph gusts forecast. 

Going to be gegensplooshing. 

Berra's punts might end up being accurate then. Great news.

2 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Morrison spent his Thursday night, the first week playing under a new manager, at Ibrox watching Rangers. I’d prefer he was no where near the side, terrible attitude and not really acceptable given the clubs position. 

Agree with Berra tho. He’s never a captain on the field and his performances have been shocking. Some time off will help, hopefully. Stendel wants his players on the ball constantly and Berra gives me the fear with the ball at his feet. 

Mulraney is suspended.  

Uche I can’t see featuring but you never know. He is the worst striking option we have and I hate saying it but I’d rather we played MacLean than Uche. An area of the park I hope to see the biggest improvement in. Uche will always be a target man for this crop of players and he’s useless at it. MacLean is the only one with the energy to play a high press. How sad a statement is that. 

Just a wee nugget of info on Hickey. The deal to city is at a stage now where Hickey is now looking for an agent so that they can negotiate the best deal for personal terms. He had a meeting with one on Thursday. 

Joel

Bozanic Damour Clare 

Walker MacLean Meshino 

That's very interesting, will be amazing if we can sell a player to city for a decent chunk of cash.

Mulraney is suspended.  

Joel

Bozanic Damour Clare 

Walker MacLean Meshino 

How’s that a terrible attitude from Morison. A lot of the other players will have watched it on the telly. What’s the difference?

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

How’s that a terrible attitude from Morison. A lot of the other players will have watched it on the telly. What’s the difference?

It’s a bit weird to make the effort to go. They’re a rival club in the league, I even thought it was unprofessional when Griffiths would turn up at Hibs games.

If he’s a fan then fair enough watch it on the tele but openly going to the ground with the supporters is a bit off IMO.

1 minute ago, Mr Rabbit said:

It’s a bit weird to make the effort to go. They’re a rival club in the league, I even thought it was unprofessional when Griffiths would turn up at Hibs games.

If he’s a fan then fair enough watch it on the tele but openly going to the ground with the supporters is a bit off IMO.

Doesn’t really bother me I have to say. Be different if he was a potential signing target for them or if he was there every week but going to the odd game doesn’t seem disrespectful to me.

11 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Each to the their own. I don’t think it’s acceptable and shows a lack of professionalism. Especially given that he was posting the fact on his social media account. Go and watch if you have to, I don’t agree with it, but don’t broadcast it. 

Just now, busby1985 said:

Each to the their own. I don’t think it’s acceptable and shows a lack of professionalism. Especially given that he was posting the fact on his social media account. Go and watch if you have to, I don’t agree with it, but don’t broadcast it. 

We do agree there. The desperation of people nowadays to broadcast their life online is piss poor. If he had thought about it he would’ve maybe worked out it wouldn’t be popular among some fans. Not saying he should have kept it quiet but no need to tell the world.

Just now, GinRummy said:

We do agree there. The desperation of people nowadays to broadcast their life online is piss poor. If he had thought about it he would’ve maybe worked out it wouldn’t be popular among some fans. Not saying he should have kept it quiet but no need to tell the world.

Yeah, suppose that was more my point just badly made. Watch the game, head home, keep

it to yourself. Videoing the game and posting it on your insta, not professional in my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Yeah, suppose that was more my point just badly made. Watch the game, head home, keep

it to yourself. Videoing the game and posting it on your insta, not professional in my opinion. 

Agreed

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Agreed

Buzzing about today tho. Really hoping we see a change in the attitude. Not too bothered about the result, just want to see that the players have reacted to the change. 

Jambof3tornado
6 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

40 mph winds from the west starting at 1pm through to 7pm, barry, will effect game and has

the potential to blow my garden fence away again.

Genwindygenpressin, not sure wind affects that but your fence, I'm sorry but its a goner!!

On 12/12/2019 at 18:49, Barack said:

Craig Wighton to play in this new revolution. 

This might annoy a few.

I'm of the opinion that David Blaine couldn't make a player of him so if DS can it'll speak volumes for him.  Like others I've called for a clean slate for the players and on that basis DS gets the run of the shop to do his thing, as a fan base we also need to give them a little space to take their chance.

StirlingJambo

Joel

Brandon Smith Halket Hickey

Whelan Irving

Uche.          Mechino.       Mulraney

Keena

Governor Tarkin
20 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

Gary Locke used to pitch up in amongst the Hearts support when he was contracted elsewhere.

PHM.

Buzzing about today tho. Really hoping we see a change in the attitude. Not too bothered about the result, just want to see that the players have reacted to the change. 

Absolutely bud, it’s a new start. Might be a few false starts along the way but it’s the beginning of something good.

Heading into town for an early sesh. Enjoy the game. 

Diadora Van Basten

I would go for Bobby ahead of Pereira as he is better at shot stopping although Pereira controls his box better. Smith at right back with Brandon breathing down his neck. Berra and Halkett in the centre of defence and Hickey back ahead of White.

Whelan and Irving in the middle and Uche up top.

That just leaves our three attacking midfielders. I think Walker is like a man down out wide so would play him in CAM. Meshino likes to cut in so would play him on the left. On the right I would go for the energy and work rate of Morrison.

Zlamal

Smith Halkett Berra Hickey

Whelan Irving

Morrison Walker Meshino

Uche

Read through the thread, one thing said often is that we need to get behind the team from the off. I think we would've beaten St Johnstone today even if Stendel wasn't here, don't know why but now that he is then i'm going to predict a 3-1 win. A bit of dodgy defending will get them a goal but I think we just about have enough to get a goal or two along the way. Only thing i'm gutted about is i'm not going due to a prior engagement that can't be cancelled. Never wanted to be at a game as much in 3 years!

"C'moan the He'rts! Git intae they fekin Perth fairmers!"

I'm not going to be there physically but i am in spirit.

The_razors_edge

Re Uche

Is/was not rated at all by AM (from the horses mouth). Will be interesting to see if DS thinks he can bring anything to the party. 

32 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Mulraney is suspended.  

Joel

Bozanic Damour Clare 

Walker MacLean Meshino 

MacLean will ideal for the pressing type of game he wants to play. 

🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭

Diadora Van Basten
Just now, The_razors_edge said:

Re Uche

Is/was not rated at all by AM (from the horses mouth). Will be interesting to see if DS thinks he can bring anything to the party. 

I think if you watched the recent cup final and saw what happened when Celtic didn’t play a recognised forward is what will happen to us if we don’t play Uche. The ball wont stick and will just keep coming back at us.

5 minutes ago, StirlingJambo said:

Joel

Whelan Irving

Uche.          Mechino.       Mulraney

Keena

Mulraney is suspended. 

Interesting team though. 

To get the best out of Uche he needs to play wide and running at defenders. 👍

StirlingJambo
1 minute ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Mulraney is suspended. 

Interesting team though. 

To get the best out of Uche he needs to play wide and running at defenders. 👍

My bad, forgot about the red card last week.

I think so to. Also think he would be better at pressing out on the wing. He might be a big guy trying to hold up the ball when playing up top himself but he always gives away fouls. The couple times he’s been out right he’s gave the left back a horrible time. Let’s play to the players strengths for once.

4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Gary Locke used to pitch up in amongst the Hearts support when he was contracted elsewhere.

PHM.

I mind when Hearts sold Scott Crabbe to Dundee Utd in 1992 and at the end of season 93/94 (the last ever game at the old Tynecastle with the shed ripped down) I saw this wee guy shuffling about between the fans and thought, "what the fk is this wee radge aw aboot!?" he jumped about when we scored then heard someone say it was Scott Crabbe, caught a glimpse and it was! Wasn't in the Dundee Utd squad for the game but had to get out of the crowd to get back to the stand before he was posted missing by his manager. ALso remember Gary Locke in the stand a few times even when he played for Killie.

Joel

Whelan Irving

Mechino   Wighton     Mulraney

Uche.

The Future's Maroon

It's been a long time since I chucked us in my Saturday acca, but first one I selected today.

FTH

35 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

PHM.

Sat near him at Easter Road when he was with Kilmarnock. Singing Rangers songs with the other morons in our support, but with a hoodie pulled over his head to disguise himself.

Edited by Des' Dad

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, Des' Dad said:

Sat near him at Easter Road when he was with Kilmarnock. Singing Rangers songs with the other morons in our support, but with a hoodie pulled over his head to disguise himself.

If Hearts fans were singing them in the Hearts end then they were probably Hearts songs too.

You shouldn't deny little facts like that, regardless of how uncomfortable you may find them. 

2 hours ago, Alex Kintner said:

Folk writing off Uche very prematurely! 

Uche has been found out. He was an unknown quality last season and opposing defences didn't have a clue about how to deal with him. Now they've sussed out how to play against him and have virtually eliminated his effectiveness. He's got the heart of a lion but that's not enough. Ten goals in 46 games is way short of being good enough for HMFC. Unless DS can get a different tune out of him I doubt he'll feature much going forward.

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Subs 

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Wighton

23 minutes ago, Des' Dad said:

Why? Was he singing Rule Britannia, Green grassy slopes or GStQ? Doubt that very much.

14 minutes ago, Musemic said:

Uche has been found out. He was an unknown quality last season and opposing defences didn't have a clue about how to deal with him. Now they've sussed out how to play against him and have virtually eliminated his effectiveness. He's got the heart of a lion but that's not enough. Ten goals in 46 games is way short of being good enough for HMFC. Unless DS can get a different tune out of him I doubt he'll feature much going forward.

Problem is that we are struggling for forward players so that in itself will be why Uche gets games for the forseeable. The options are Wighton, a striker who doesn't know where the goals are, Keena who never gets games (might change under Stendel), McLean who is too old for top league football now and Washington who's injured anyway. (anyone know what's happening with him by chance?) So not a lot to go with. I'm okay with Uche playing for the moment. Until Stendel can get a goalscorer in in January, we have to go with what we've got. Long term I don't see Uche with us but happy to have him around at this stage.

Edited by jambonian

11 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

If Hearts fans were singing them in the Hearts end then they were probably Hearts songs too.

You shouldn't deny little facts like that, regardless of how uncomfortable you may find them. 

Sorry mate, but if it was the same song I was hearing at certain points that day, I think that it is safe to say that "going for 55" is not a Hearts song.

5 minutes ago, Fifejambo 51 said:

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Subs 

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Mulraney

Wighton

So you're dropping Mulraney to give Wighton a place on the bench!? That's just crazy!