*** Heart of Midlothian v Rangers (League Cup Semi Final) Official Match Thread ***

kila

Austin MacPhee's first game in charge with only a few days to get his ideas and plan in motion.

Anticipating a positive bounce from Levein's sacking. We were right up against them at home only a couple of weeks ago, just need to manage and exploit them on a bigger pitch and have a proper go.

I am looking forward to this now, having only a few hours ago been regretting buying a ticket!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• pettigrewsstylist

• Bazzas right boot

• Morgan

Think we can only hope for a reaction, but in all honesty until a new man comes in I am not expecting much To change due to MacPhee being partly responsible for this mess.

thats no criticism as obviously we need someone in the interim.

Come on the Hearts though. I’ll be there optimistic 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

No idea who’ll be fit but think Brandon at RM might be an option. 1) we have a lack of good wingers 2) Rangers have Barasic and Kent down that wing. I know he is brutal but in a one-off game it might work. 

Play Brandon there to help out Hickey. Clare on the left. Whelan and Boz (can trust him to put in a shift) in the middlr. Then pray Uche/Meshino can create some magic. Walker off the bench. Maybe Naismith too? 

will Sean Clare play ? 

Pereira

Hickey, Smith , Berra, White

Whelan, Damour

Walker, Meshino, Irving

Uche

Damour obviously a gamble but I would start him instead of Bozanic

Had a look at the bears den thread and was pleasantly surprised.  Lot of nervousness about the game.  They're rubbish at hampden apparently.  

Some good humour as well.  Querying whether levein sacked himself.

Captain Canada

I could be wrong but I expect us to approach this the same way as the cup final last season by playing a high tempo pressing game.

It will be a big indicator of Austin's views on what's gone on so far this season and his own philosophy. I'd imagine he's keen on the job full time. 

I am lead to believe Austin’s football philosophy is more attack minded. 

He’s likely to gamble on pushing forward where as Levein would go defensive. 

4 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

I am lead to believe Austin’s football philosophy is more attack minded. 

He’s likely to gamble on pushing forward where as Levein would go defensive. 

Seems highly unlikely he’ll get the gig full time so he’d be as well going for it. Get them on the back foot early and you never know what could happen.

2 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Seems highly unlikely he’ll get the gig full time so he’d be as well going for it. Get them on the back foot early and you never know what could happen.

Have you taken a look at the league? They have scored 33 goals in 11 league games and for a comparison Aberdeen who will undoubtedly be top 4 again have scored 14.

If he wants the gig full time then recklessly going at such a potent attacking force isn't the way to get that gig and could and probably would end in a thrashing. They have a second 11 who would probably secure a top 2 finish.

That's the size of the task. 

1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

Have you taken a look at the league? They have scored 33 goals in 11 league games and for a comparison Aberdeen who will undoubtedly be top 4 again have scored 14.

If he wants the gig full time then recklessly going at such a potent attacking force isn't the way to get that gig and could and probably would end in a thrashing. They have a second 11 who would probably secure a top 2 finish.

That's the size of the task. 

You don’t honestly think MacPhee will get the gig? What’s the difference sit in and get beat 4 nil or go for it and get beat 6-3? This isn’t Tynie it’s a wider pitch, we need to press them and get the ball forward we try and contain them in our half we’re asking for a pumping!

2 hours ago, kila said:

Austin MacPhee's first game in charge with only a few days to get his ideas and plan in motion.

Anticipating a positive bounce from Levein's sacking. We were right up against them at home only a couple of weeks ago, just need to manage and exploit them on a bigger pitch and have a proper go.

I am looking forward to this now, having only a few hours ago been regretting buying a ticket!

Absolutely, I am glad of the timing as it at least gives us a fresh motive. Rangers undoubtedly have more quality however there is a chance if we have enough battle in us that we can scrap a result. Good luck to Austin, hopefully of a fresh approach and ideas!

3 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

You don’t honestly think MacPhee will get the gig? What’s the difference sit in and get beat 4 nil or go for it and get beat 6-3? This isn’t Tynie it’s a wider pitch, we need to press them and get the ball forward we try and contain them in our half we’re asking for a pumping!

No I don't think he will get the job but at the same time I don't think he will want to make himself look like a total idiot by setting up for a quick hiding. 6-3?

In those 11 league games they have conceded a total of 7 and 2 of those came from the equally potent attacking force of Celtic. So from the other 10 they conceded an average 0.5 goals per game. No one is going to be scoring 3 goals against them anytime soon  but many will concede 3 or more.

Anyone outside Celtic who manages to beat them will do it by being cautious and winning by an odd goal. And I seriously doubt the Hearts fans in attendance would be happy to see a team going in 3-0 down at halftime like Ross County did last night.

Many teams who play them are spending most of the time in their own half not just because it's a strategy but because it's very difficult to do anything else. That's the difference multi millions make.

Aberdeen haven't secured a string of top 4 finished by 'having a go' at ether of the OF. Having ago is a fan term which is meaningless in top level football. People like Derek McInnes have forgotten more about football in the last 5 minutes than anyone around here will ever know.

Bazzas right boot

Nothing has really changed. 

The fans will be more on side which is good tho. 

A mix of Naismith, Walker, Meshino, Whelan being back in the side will have a greater impact than the CL to Macphee change. 

Same as any game v the Glasgow mob. 

Keep it tight, don't fold. We have a chance. 

Concede early and go further behind at any point , could be a thumping. 

2-1 us

Or 4-0 rangers. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

9 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

No I don't think he will get the job but at the same time I don't think he will want to make himself look like a total idiot by setting up for a quick hiding. 6-3?

In those 11 league games they have conceded a total of 7 and 2 of those came from the equally potent attacking force of Celtic. So from the other 10 they conceded an average 0.5 goals per game. No one is going to be scoring 3 goals against them anytime soon  but many will concede 3 or more.

Anyone outside Celtic who manages to beat them will do it by being cautious and winning by an odd goal. And I seriously doubt the Hearts fans in attendance would be happy to see a team going in 3-0 down at halftime like Ross County did last night.

Many teams who play them are spending most of the time in their own half not just because it's a strategy but because it's very difficult to do anything else. That's the difference multi millions make.

Aberdeen haven't secured a string of top 4 finished by 'having a go' at ether of the OF. Having ago is a fan term which is meaningless in top level football. People like Derek McInnes have forgotten more about football in the last 5 minutes than anyone around here will ever know.

I’m pretty sure Aberdeen’s record v the old firm is pretty abysmal? Certainly taken a few doings. 9 goals shipped in the last two games iirc.

What I mean by having a go, is having the bravery to stand up to them, fight for the ball and have the confidence to play forward. Not sit back in a banks of 5 and 4 with an isolated forward. Your just inviting them on to you. We need to win the ball as high up the park as we can and look for runners. We’ve got Whelan and one other to sit, Meshino to play in behind Uche and use Morrison and Walker as out balls wide. 

Just now, Rudy T said:

I’m pretty sure Aberdeen’s record v the old firm is pretty abysmal? Certainly taken a few doings. 9 goals shipped in the last two games iirc.

What I mean by having a go, is having the bravery to stand up to them, fight for the ball and have the confidence to play forward. Not sit back in a banks of 5 and 4 with an isolated forward. Your just inviting them on to you. We need to win the ball as high up the park as we can and look for runners. We’ve got Whelan and one other to sit, Meshino to play in behind Uche and use Morrison and Walker as out balls wide. 

Actually Aberdeen ejected them from the league cup at the semi stage last season and it wasn't by 'having a go' it was by doing the same thing pretty much they and everybody else is forced to do if they don't want a hiding.

Stats from that game.

Aberdeen 4 shots Rangers 15 shots.

And Aberdeen won the game 1-0.

Scottish cup quarter finals same again Aberdeen beat them 2-0 and check the stats again.

Rangers shots 15 Aberdeen 4

Any team giving them space to push into at Hampden will find their goal being peppered from all angles. Winning the ball high up the pitch is fine and dandy if it can be achieved but that's far from guaranteed to happen.

And keep in mind they're clearly a better side than they were last season their current league record ample evidence of that and their 5-0 thrashing of Aberdeen even more if it were needed.  

Actually Aberdeen ejected them from the league cup at the semi stage last season and it wasn't by 'having a go' it was by doing the same thing pretty much they and everybody else is forced to do if they don't want a hiding.

Stats from that game.

Aberdeen 4 shots Rangers 15 shots.

And Aberdeen won the game 1-0.

Scottish cup quarter finals same again Aberdeen beat them 2-0 and check the stats again.

Rangers shots 15 Aberdeen 4

Any team giving them space to push into at Hampden will find their goal being peppered from all angles. Winning the ball high up the pitch is fine and dandy if it can be achieved but that's far from guaranteed to happen.

And keep in mind they're clearly a better side than they were last season their current league record ample evidence of that and their 5-0 thrashing of Aberdeen even more if it were needed.  

Well that was my point it’s not the same Rangers team? You were quoting their goals from this season not last year.

By sitting in which is what teams are trying to do, they have all the space they want to run into. Motherwell shut them down and used their wingers at Ibrox and gave them a game. We need to stop balls into Defoe or Morelos their movement can kill teams, only way I can see to do that is to shut them out in midfield so for me I’d rather see us engage them higher up the pitch than let them play round us in the final 3rd. Push them out wide and force them to shell balls into our box where we can defend. Let them play in and round our box and we’ll concede easy goals.

1 hour ago, Ruud Krol said:

will Sean Clare play ? 

Pereira

Hickey, Smith , Berra, White

Whelan, Damour

Walker, Meshino, Irving

Uche

Damour obviously a gamble but I would start him instead of Bozanic

Doubt that Clare will be fit after last night. Hobbled about for 30 mins second half. 

3 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Well that was my point it’s not the same Rangers team? You were quoting their goals from this season not last year.

By sitting in which is what teams are trying to do, they have all the space they want to run into. Motherwell shut them down and used their wingers at Ibrox and gave them a game. We need to stop balls into Defoe or Morelos their movement can kill teams, only way I can see to do that is to shut them out in midfield so for me I’d rather see us engage them higher up the pitch than let them play round us in the final 3rd. Push them out wide and force them to shell balls into our box where we can defend. Let them play in and round our box and we’ll concede easy goals.

Ok let's clarify our positions while again keeping in mind that people who effectively have an encyclopedia of footballing knowledge in their heads in comparison to the back of a fag packet script of the fans are all setting up the same way against them.

You're saying you know better than these people how to get through this? And if they did exactly what you wanted you and everyone else would be content if it resulted in being 3-0 down and game over at halftime? 

Or would the predominant view be what an idiot even worse than Levein?

Hearts where crap with a craig boy approach negative now he's gone it could happen we drew 1-1with them under him so things can

only get better

Ok let's clarify our positions while again keeping in mind that people who effectively have an encyclopedia of footballing knowledge in their heads in comparison to the back of a fag packet script of the fans are all setting up the same way against them.

You're saying you know better than these people how to get through this? And if they did exactly what you wanted you and everyone else would be content if it resulted in being 3-0 down and game over at halftime? 

Or would the predominant view be what an idiot even worse than Levein?

Sorry I thought we were having a civil discussion about how to set up against rangers? Didn’t realise I was being interviewed for the job. It’s only my opinion I’ve played a bit but never managed,  played against Derek McIness at 16’s when he was at Morton as it happens, but didn’t have a chance to ask him about formations.

1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

Sorry I thought we were having a civil discussion about how to set up against rangers? Didn’t realise I was being interviewed for the job. It’s only my opinion I’ve played a bit but never managed,  played against Derek McIness at 16’s when he was at Morton as it happens, but didn’t have a chance to ask him about formations.

Apologies if you think i'm being uncivil it's not my intention. We can all have opinions but my feeling is that the experts have infinitely more valid opinions on how to negotiate such a task and those experts all have a similar outlook when it comes to playing them.

I think they had an off day against Motherwell and still managed 63% possession and 17 shots at goal. I just doubt anyone wants to see this game being over by halftime and against such a potent striking force that's exactly what could happen if extreme caution is not exercised.

And yes it could still happen even with extreme caution but my view is the chances of staying in the game for as long as possible have to be greater if it's approached with such caution. Then if by chance they have another off day who knows.

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nothing has really changed. 

The fans will be more on side which is good tho. 

A mix of Naismith, Walker, Meshino, Whelan being back in the side will have a greater impact than the CL to Macphee change. 

Same as any game v the Glasgow mob. 

Keep it tight, don't fold. We have a chance. 

Concede early and go further behind at any point , could be a thumping. 

2-1 us

Or 4-0 rangers. 

Closest Naismith will be is a seat in the stand imo. 

25 minutes ago, j1964m said:

Hearts where crap with a craig boy approach negative now he's gone it could happen we drew 1-1with them under him so things can

only get better

Edited by Morgan

4 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Apologies if you think i'm being uncivil it's not my intention. We can all have opinions but my feeling is that the experts have infinitely more valid opinions on how to negotiate such a task and those experts all have a similar outlook when it comes to playing them.

I think they had an off day against Motherwell and still managed 63% possession and 17 shots at goal. I just doubt anyone wants to see this game being over by halftime and against such a potent striking force that's exactly what could happen if extreme caution is not exercised.

And yes it could still happen even with extreme caution but my view is the chances of staying in the game for as long as possible have to be greater if it's approached with such caution. Then if by chance they have another off day who knows.

No worries just never know with this place... I’m actually delighted to be discussing football rather than when the manager will be sacked!

I appreciate what your saying, I guess another factor for us is who is available to play. I always think v the old firm you need a bit luck, them to be slightly off the game, an almost flawless defensive performance and players to be brave in possession. As much as it pains me, the diamond hibs had with McGinn McGeough Boyle and Allan was a template for success against them, with one holding one picking up runners Allan in between the lines and Boyle running from deep. Not sure we have the same quality but we could set up similar. Uche needs to hold the ball as well to buy us time to get up in support. I’m not sure how MacPhee will set up but I’m hoping it’s as much about us as them, my issue with CL was always it seemed to be about stopping the opposition at the expense of our own strengths. 

CL wont be in the dugout but the 4 stoogies still will and we will have the same duds on the park. Not sure why a positive outcome will happen. 3 nil Huns.

7 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I always think v the old firm you need a bit luck, them to be slightly off the game, an almost flawless defensive performance and players to be brave in possession.

With the current financial state of Scottish football that is indeed the reality. They need to be misfiring while the opposition need to be filled with players hitting top form on the day.

I suspect that in this particular game it's perhaps going to be all the more difficult because Gerrard will be going all out to win his first managerial trophy. He substituted 3 players encompassing the spine of his side last night with an obvious eye on Sunday.

The sad reality is the old firm will play 4 league games and potentially 2 cup finals this season, certainly think they’ll meet 6 times. As always we go to Hampden to meet the old firm in hope rather than expectation.

59 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Doubt that Clare will be fit after last night. Hobbled about for 30 mins second half. 

so a typical 2nd half performance from him then?

Can we have a few more outrageous predictions please.  All this common sense is tedious.

Two if us have gone for a 5-0 win to us so far and looking for more to join us.  They're nervy on the bears den and with good cause.

I've bern writing Stevie's post match comments for him.  "When I look for someone to blame I have to look in the mirror" Brilliant.

alicante jambo

Just came on here and found that levein is away. Absolutely delighted but i genuinly do not think we will be anywhere near sevco after the game. Too many good players out or just coming back. Wish the boys all the best though and would love them to prove me wrong. 

julienbrellier

El Gato

Hickey Smith Berra White

Damour Whelen

Walker .  Naismith . Meshino

Uche

start that team and we have a chance

Bridge of Djoum

Austin has nothing to lose. I think he will go for it, try entertain. Sadly it won’t be enough due to “Rangers” being better and the referee/SFA craving an “OF” final.

3-1 “Rangers”. At least one penalty, perhaps a red card. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Pleasant position of absolutely no pressure. 

Farcical situation to be headed into this game. 

Main interest who Austin fancies. 

Pure guess 

Joel 

Brandon Smith Berra Hickey 

Whelan Bozanic Irving 

Meshino Clare

Ikpeazu 

Doyle Dikamona White Walker Morrison Keena Maclean 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
13 minutes ago, julienbrellier said:

El Gato

Hickey Smith Berra White

Damour Whelen

Walker .  Naismith . Meshino

Uche

start that team and we have a chance

No sign of Naismith on the clip from training 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

McPhee: “We’ve left no stone unturned.”

As good with cliches as he is at pointing aimlessly from the dug-out.

We’ll lose this which is a real shame because the Huns are very ordinary. It’s a dereliction of duty to leave sacking Levein until this late before a cup semi. We could have prepared so much better.