*** Heart of Midlothian v Rangers (League Cup Semi Final) Official Match Thread ***

kila

5 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

McPhee: “We’ve left no stone unturned.”

As good with cliches as he is at pointing aimlessly from the dug-out.

We’ll lose this which is a real shame because the Huns are very ordinary. It’s a dereliction of duty to leave sacking Levein until this late before a cup semi. We could have prepared so much better.

Any team can be beaten on the day but 'very ordinary'? Tell me what does that make the rest of the league when this very ordinary side will more than likely finish a minimum 20+ points ahead of third place?

There has to be realism. In SPFL terms they're far from ordinary.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• pettigrewsstylist

• Bazzas right boot

• Morgan

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, JFK-1 said:

Any team can be beaten on the day but 'very ordinary'? Tell me what does that make the rest of the league when this very ordinary side will more than likely finish a minimum 20+ points ahead of third place?

Have you watched them much?

Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Have you watched them much?

Not in the league but Europe yes. They were ordinary enough to go to Porto and come away with a draw in a game they dominated for large parts. A Porto who made the last 8 of the CL last season. I hope Hearts become ordinary enough to actually be in European group stages earning millions. Ask Derek McInnes how easy that is.

Calling them ordinary in Scotland is absurd. And would actually detract from any result gained against them.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Not in the league but Europe yes. They were ordinary enough to go to Porto and come away with a draw in a game they dominated for large parts. A Porto who made the last 8 of the CL last season. I hope Hearts become ordinary enough to actually be in European group stages earning millions. Ask Derek McInnes how easy that is.

Calling them ordinary in Scotland is absurd. And would actually detract from any result gained against them.

They have strikers who score loads of goals. But they’ve got a defence you can get at - including a right-back who can neither defend nor cross the ball - and a fairly plain midfield. They are nothing special.

4 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

So the majority of us now want defensive football on Sunday? I’m confused.

😂

Apparently not. They're 'very ordinary' i'm told. It's a skoosh.

13 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

From what I’ve seen of them, they blow hot and cold.

If they blow cold on Sunday, who knows, we have a chance, a big chance.

New thinking from Hearts?  We could beat them.

Same old Hearts?  A good day for Rangers, we get done.

2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Apparently not. They're 'very ordinary' i'm told. It's a skoosh.

That’s not what was being said.

Just now, Morgan said:

That’s not what was being said.

That is what was being said though not by you.

5 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

We’ll lose this which is a real shame because the Huns are very ordinary.

Yes they can have off days and all things being equal them having an off day is generally the only way anybody in this league outside their other half can beat them. If they're ordinary I shudder to think what that makes everybody else in the league.

Here's an example of what we need..it can be done

Paris St-Germain slumped to their third Ligue 1 defeat of the season as bottom side Dijon came from behind to stun the French champions.

Kylian Mbappe registered his seventh goal in four games with a delightful chipped finish over Dijon goalkeeper Alfred Gomis after 19 minutes.

Mounir Chouiar deservedly levelled for Stephane Jobard's strugglers deep into first-half stoppage time.

Jhonder Cadiz then completed the comeback two minutes after the restart.

Pasquale for King
On 31/10/2019 at 18:02, kila said:

Austin MacPhee's first game in charge with only a few days to get his ideas and plan in motion.

Anticipating a positive bounce from Levein's sacking. We were right up against them at home only a couple of weeks ago, just need to manage and exploit them on a bigger pitch and have a proper go.

I am looking forward to this now, having only a few hours ago been regretting buying a ticket!

Definitely, feeling much more hopeful about what could happen. 

46 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Looking for help. Would like to buy ticket for Sunday. Am in Glasgow - if i buy do I need to pick up tomorrow or could I print it 

Print isn’t an option for this game.

You would need to hope someone had a spare on the day or if you know someone who could collect for you. 

I don't stay in Edinburgh or I would have offered to help.

Rangers are ordinary 😂

I hate them with a passion but I’m sorry, you can’t call them ordinary in comparison to the rest of our league. 

They’ve scored 33 goals and conceded 7 in 11 games and two of they goals conceded were from the team that are actually better than them. They’ve scored 3 or more on 6 different occasions this season in the league.

Make no mistake that Sunday is an absolute mountain for us. Is it possible? Yes, anything is in football. Is it likely? **** no. 

5 minutes ago, DarioHMFC said:

Rangers are ordinary 😂

I hate them with a passion but I’m sorry, you can’t call them ordinary in comparison to the rest of our league. 

They’ve scored 33 goals and conceded 7 in 11 games and two of they goals conceded were from the team that are actually better than them. They’ve scored 3 or more on 6 different occasions this season in the league.

Make no mistake that Sunday is an absolute mountain for us. Is it possible? Yes, anything is in football. Is it likely? **** no. 

This is the type of realism required to rationally tackle the task at hand. It is indeed absurd to call them ordinary given the evidence that's right in front of us in the league table and their European success.

Sunday is a monumental task and it would be no matter who was the manager. If Hearts can pull it off it's a fantastic achievement.

We need to get in their face, harass and bite their ankles if we are to have any chance. Sit back and its over before we start 

35 minutes ago, DarioHMFC said:

Rangers are ordinary 😂

Doesn’t give me an edit option but I just want to add to this that I’ll go into Sunday, as I do every game, with the belief that we can pull it off but that doesn’t detract from realistically knowing the size of task at hand. 

4 minutes ago, 8skacel8 said:

Print isn’t an option for this game.

You would need to hope someone had a spare on the day or if you know someone who could collect for you. 

I don't stay in Edinburgh or I would have offered to help.

Cheers anyway 

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

This is the type of realism required to rationally tackle the task at hand. It is indeed absurd to call them ordinary given the evidence that's right in front of us in the league table and their European success.

Sunday is a monumental task and it would be no matter who was the manager. If Hearts can pull it off it's a fantastic achievement.

So you're not totally seized by my 5-0 victory prediction then.

9 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

So you're not totally seized by my 5-0 victory prediction then.

I think it's an ominous scoreline to choose since they have a habit of dishing out 5-0 drubbings in Glasgow.  

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

To all the moaners on the forum-that I see have swiftly moved on from Levein to targeting McPhee/daly etc...Being negative is a pointlessly endless mindset. It’s unpeeling a limitless onion. Once you’ve focussed enough on one problem there’s always another problem to be negative about.

GIRFUY! Hearts are a great club & can do without all this addiction to moaning and negativity. Let’s get behind the team and look ahead with some optimism.

john brownlee
1 hour ago, fila said:

We need to get in their face, harass and bite their ankles if we are to have any chance. Sit back and its over before we start 

Like nearly all that have contributed you are forgetting the REF factor.

There,s no way on this planet are the officials going to allow a HMFC win. If we do what you say we will end with half a team back in the dressing room.

my thoughts on this game, is plan for the next.

2 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Any idea how many Hearts tkts sold for Sun??

Ive done a rough calculation and it's between 10-11k.

Surprised Hearts haven't given an update.

1 hour ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

To all the moaners on the forum-that I see have swiftly moved on from Levein to targeting McPhee/daly etc...Being negative is a pointlessly endless mindset. It’s unpeeling a limitless onion. Once you’ve focussed enough on one problem there’s always another problem to be negative about.

GIRFUY! Hearts are a great club & can do without all this addiction to moaning and negativity. Let’s get behind the team and look ahead with some optimism.

With you all the way.

I do not expect a lot of change from line up or set up on Sunday, that is not a criticism of AM and we need to support him at this time. Our fans will be more relaxed now and supportive, and hope that is felt by the players. I would not mind if AM gambled a bit and sprung a surprise or two. We are outsiders, it is a free shot in some ways with nothing to lose. A lot of players never get the chance to play in a final, and this week's events could actually work in their favour, time to step up and leave nothing out there. You never know. 

On 31/10/2019 at 22:46, i8hibsh said:

CL wont be in the dugout but the 4 stoogies still will and we will have the same duds on the park. Not sure why a positive outcome will happen. 3 nil Huns.

Yeah nothing positive until we have a total clear out. I'll watch but I'm not too optimistic.

5 hours ago, john brownlee said:

Like nearly all that have contributed you are forgetting the REF factor.

There,s no way on this planet are the officials going to allow a HMFC win. If we do what you say we will end with half a team back in the dressing room.

my thoughts on this game, is plan for the next.

Doesn't help knowing who today's ref is.

El Gato

Smith, dika, berra, hickey 

Whelan, irving 

Morrison, Walker, mashino

Uche

Based on who I think is fit. Our right hand side needs protecting so I would be defending heavy down this side and when we win the ball I would be asking the team to get the ball to Irving early to spray it up to mashino, hickey over lapping and Walker being the link man. 

Morrison in there for pace on the break if rangers are high up the pitch.. 2-1 to us 🇱🇻 

Despite our poor form I'm getting excited now, It's a semi final why wouldn't you! Aye it's been grim recently but anything can happen, we could get pumped, it could be a close game, we could pump them, it could be shite 0-0 to pens. Its a semi final of a cup we haven't won since the 60s, i want to be there on the off chance we do make it to the final.

9 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Will be interesting to see the team he fields and whether he sticks to Leveins style of play etc. 

Doesn’t have a lot of player options but I’d imagine tactics will be very different. 

Given they’ve lost their last 6 games at hampden and we’re finding our feet after this weeks event ,

my heart says 2-1 Hearts , 

my head says 4-1 them 

first semi final was 1976 (both games v the mighty Dumbarton) and never missed one since  , won’t be there in person tomorrow but I’ll be there in spirit . 

‘MON THE JAMBO’S 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Was really not looking forward to going to this however, in the light of the events of the last few days my spirits have lifted slightly. Still expecting a defeat but there maybe a faint hope that with different tactics ( hopefully) we might pull of a surprise.  Mon The Hearts !!!.

Here we go gang

Joel

Smith

Dika

Berra

White

Whelan

Irving

Clare

Ryo

Walker

Uche

Doyle, Hickey, Damour, Bozanic, Morrison, Naismith, Keena

Please.

Hard choice at back as Smith great at CH but i want our fullbacks in tgeir natural positions. Tough on Hickey but White shades it on experience.

It can be 4231 as above or

433 with Clare or Walker playing closer to Whelan and Andy.

THE most important thing is players getting near Uche. We simply cant leave him isolated on that big pitch. Play WITH him. Balls to his feet, buzz around him.

Even if we only get 45 from Jamie, I'd rather it was the first 45 to help set the tone.

No MacLean. Please please no. Maybe bench if Naismith not ready but otherwise , surely not?!?!

12 hours ago, LeftBack said:

Looking for help. Would like to buy ticket for Sunday. Am in Glasgow - if i buy do I need to pick up tomorrow or could I print it 

Collection only I think. 

13 hours ago, LeftBack said:

Not sure, but I wonder if you can collect at Hampden. Suggest phone Hearts ticket office, but again not sure if it's open today.  Hope you get there anyway. 

pettigrewsstylist

Until we demonstrate an ability to create, we will go nowhere. Not convinced Clare, Mulraney, Morrison, Bozanic, have the ability to do much even if unleashed tactically.

Prob too early to rely on Walker to create match winning performance. 

Berra, whilst still capapble of strong ariel performance, is finished on the deck with lost pace. Halkett and Souttar are bodyblows this yr.

Hard to see beyond Orcs win. 😓

Wont be judging AM on this result.

2 hours ago, Hampden Demolition said:

I’ve heard that Brandon will start at right back...

Done fine against them at Tynie. Assume it means Smith beside Berra as well.

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Here we go gang

Joel

Smith

Dika

Berra

White

Whelan

Irving

Clare

Ryo

Walker

Uche

Doyle, Hickey, Damour, Bozanic, Morrison, Naismith, Keena

Please.

Hard choice at back as Smith great at CH but i want our fullbacks in tgeir natural positions. Tough on Hickey but White shades it on experience.

It can be 4231 as above or

433 with Clare or Walker playing closer to Whelan and Andy.

THE most important thing is players getting near Uche. We simply cant leave him isolated on that big pitch. Play WITH him. Balls to his feet, buzz around him.

Even if we only get 45 from Jamie, I'd rather it was the first 45 to help set the tone.

No MacLean. Please please no. Maybe bench if Naismith not ready but otherwise , surely not?!?!

We will hoof to Uche and he will get early yellow to temper his elbows.

Walker will be key if he can stay on pitch long enough.

Moment of genuis from Jamie or Ryo might be enough.

Big pitch will let sevco have width. Would have played Hickey.

We live in hope .

Thought we would be on the wrong end of a doing in last season's cup final and I was wrong so hopefully I'll be wrong again tomorrow. I'm more up for the game now and we do beat The Rangers once in a while so would be great if it happened tomorrow.

I'd go:

Pereira

Smith  dikamona Berra  hickey

Whelan    damour

morrison    Ryotaro  irving 

Uche   

Hopefully mclean nowhere near the squad. Like playing with a man down. Hopefully see naisy on the bench and come on for last half an hour

I honestly don't know whose fit anymore.  We don't have any width. I suppose something along the lines of this might be as best as it can be...

Joel

Smith Dikamona Berra Hickey

Whelan Irving

Clare

Morrison Uche Meshino

Need 3 in midfield and width at hampden IMO. Too many key guys out. Haring, Halkett, Souttar, Walker, Naismith would all stroll into that team blindfolded.