Craig Wighton

kimosavi

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

No doubt the same numpties on here who want to give Wighton time a more chances...

Serious question. What exactly is wrong with hoping 22/21/22 players will come good and deciding to back them instead of slag them off? Is that not a basic requirement of supporting your team?

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robert Lazar

• kingantti1874

• JamboAl

• Last Laff

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest ToqueJambo
6 hours ago, Sid said:

Can you explain exactly what went wrong with the Vanecek signing (supported with facts). The only “fact” I know is he arrived very unfit due to an extended holiday with mates. 
Everything else is speculation and not clear who takes the blame. Levein appears to believe it was attitude and application. Not entirely clear how this could have been picked up by greater face to face scouting. (Not sure it’s a fact that we didn’t see him play enough face to face but happy to be corrected). 
Sometimes, players don’t work out on moving Country. Played 8. 3 Goals at new club. Record before joining us reasonable. 
can assume he’s an ok striker. Problem is either player or Levein. I don’t believe there is enough evidence to decide who was in the wrong but it suits certain agendas to ignore the only fact and fall on the Levein at fault side in absence of clarity?  
Happy to be corrected with fact.  Otherwise I have to sit on the fence on that one. 
(just to clarify. I am now in the Levein should go camp). 

Unfit. Poor attitude. Talked himself up on social media. 3 strikes in Levein's book. Another less stubborn manager may have overlooked or try to work on at least one of them.

Edited by ToqueJambo

15 hours ago, Robert Lazar said:

I don't think any of us have actual facts but i would say, if he wasn't fit, why did Craig Levein start him more than once?

If he really wasn't fit, why didn't we get him fit instead of punting him out the door?

Coming out in the press and calling a player you've signed "rubbish" is questionable as well. 

The whole thing was a mess imo,  but yeah, i think we've just to take it that he wasn't fit and forget about it. 

Exactly. I don’t think he was unfit at all. He just needed time to adapt to the quickness of the Scottish game. He actually looked good when he played. 

He leaves hearts and is back to scoring goals in a decent league. I think he’s scored 4 or 5 this season already?! 

There’s more to the vanacek story that we will never know. 

Edited by Dayman

I’m not so sure Vanecek did much wrong, some say he boasted or talked himself up on social media - he may have done as I’m not too close to that scene - but from what I did see he seemed more excited and maybe focussed on the wrong things. I didnt see much ‘arrogance’ to be honest. I could well be wrong but just seems some folk like to say these things maybe based on very little. 

Ironically Levein probably talked him up far more prior to him coming!

Edited by Mollo

55 minutes ago, Dayman said:

Exactly. I don’t think he was unfit at all. He just needed time to adapt to the quickness of the Scottish game. He actually looked good when he played. 

He leaves hearts and is back to scoring goals in a decent league. I think he’s scored 4 or 5 this season already?! 

Name a game in which he looked Good?

One flick on to Clare was about the only contribution he made. Missed a sitter that my grandkids could have scored from at Hamilton and wore the biggest pair of shorts I have ever seen a Hearts player in 50+ years of watching. Those are my three takeaway memories of Vanacek. 

2 hours ago, Mollo said:

I’m not so sure Vanecek did much wrong, some say he boasted or talked himself up on social media - he may have done as I’m not too close to that scene - but from what I did see he seemed more excited and maybe focussed on the wrong things. I didnt see much ‘arrogance’ to be honest. I could well be wrong but just seems some folk like to say these things maybe based on very little. 

The fact that levein seemed to have talked him up more than the player did himself for some reason is overlooked.  Another situation where levein done nothing wrong. 

4 hours ago, Dayman said:

Not enough stanima or pace to chase after defenders all afternoon would be my guess,  when considering the managerial mindset at the Club.

Ex member of the SaS

Can anyone give a figure on the number of players signed since 2014? Read somewhere is was around 114 but it must be more by now.

People keep harping on about Berra and Naismith and how great Levein is in getting such players, but as someone once said give enough monkey's typewriters and paper and they will produce Shakspeare.

19 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Serious question. What exactly is wrong with hoping 22/21/22 players will come good and deciding to back them instead of slag them off? Is that not a basic requirement of supporting your team?

Firstly I will support any player on the park that wears the maroon.

That does not however stop me from giving my opinion on a fans forum on the signings we have made.

Levein has made far too many piss poor signings and for the life of me I cannot understand why he would shell out decent money on Wighton. After the first few games it was obvious to me that he was lightweight and timid, and would never be up to playing for Hearts.

I would love Wighton to come good but the chances of that are slim.

3 hours ago, Mollo said:

He got a bad dose of Levein Flu.....

4 hours ago, Mollo said:

He didn't it's just the fashionable thing to say. I followed him on socia media and there was lots of stuff with him working out. Or just generally saying he can't wait to come to Edinburgh/play for hearts .

I don't buy the fitness excuse. Maybe he didn't apply himself in training, maybe there was a fall out, maybe he just wasn't the right fit for us. Who knows

He was hung out to dry either way.

3 hours ago, Alan_R said:

He didn't it's just the fashionable thing to say. I followed him on socia media and there was lots of stuff with him working out. Or just generally saying he can't wait to come to Edinburgh/play for hearts .

I don't buy the fitness excuse. Maybe he didn't apply himself in training, maybe there was a fall out, maybe he just wasn't the right fit for us. Who knows

He was hung out to dry either way.

He hung himself out to dry . Can't believe (well actually I can) people defending this guy .

You're moving to a new club , different football culture what do you do ?

We all know what he did 

John mcCartney
9 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

He hung himself out to dry . Can't believe (well actually I can) people defending this guy .

You're moving to a new club , different football culture what do you do ?

We all know what he did 

maybe you shoud enlighten us chief,wtf did he do to be ridiculed exactly ?

8 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Name a game in which he looked Good?

One flick on to Clare was about the only contribution he made. Missed a sitter that my grandkids could have scored from at Hamilton and wore the biggest pair of shorts I have ever seen a Hearts player in 50+ years of watching. Those are my three takeaway memories of Vanacek. 

Nothing breathtaking but a lot of good touches and movement off the ball. Given time and he’d be good I think. The Scottish game is very unique and it takes time to get used to. 

4 hours ago, Jingle Bells said:

Not enough stanima or pace to chase after defenders all afternoon would be my guess,  when considering the managerial mindset at the Club.

He’s not played in 2 or 3 months prior to hearts. An injury kept him out towards the end of his season and then we didn’t get him till sometime in January. He was in the gym every day on his “bender” in Asia, according to his Instagram anyways, which I believe over kickback. You know, videos of him sprinting on treadmills whilst dripping with sweat are a pretty good hit of evidence. 

it doesn’t matter how much running you do, moving to a new country with a faster pace game will make the fittest player struggle. Not playing a match in months will make any player struggle. 

Common sense really.

1 minute ago, Lfhearts said:

Blame Murray for Vanechek, we never learn and if same staff are at football dept next term it will be more stabs in the dark.

I remember reading well over a year ago that we had upgraded our scouting system and employed more scouts.. 

Yet we've been signing players that Levein has been after for years and players that Macphee knows. 

What's going on?

2 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Wighton will never be good enough. 

Release on a free. 

He aint riding in on his white charger in the next few weeks to save our season, that's a nap. Worse than Andy Watson by a country mile and he was horseshit

3 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Wighton will never be good enough. 

Release on a free. 

That might actually end up happening but since we've reportedly handed over £250,000 for him, It won't be anytime soon. 

5 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

maybe you shoud enlighten us chief,wtf did he do to be ridiculed exactly ?

Big chief he say it common knowledge , he went on piss

On 19/10/2019 at 19:54, Robert Lazar said:

That might actually end up happening but since we've reportedly handed over £250,000 for him, It won't be anytime soon. 

Give him back to Dundee and chuck bozinic  in too ,get the wage bill down slightly to allow a half decent forward in !!