Craig Wighton

kimosavi

BBC Sportsound host Jonathan Sutherland said he was surprised Celtic or Rangers hadn’t taken a chance on the 24-year-old.

Ex-Gers ace McCall said: “That was close, very close, particularly for one of them to come and take him.”

Sutherland replied: “Blue half?”

McCall said: “Yes.”

I've also heard McCall on Sportsound say that Shankland was close to signing for rangers and there was other teams interested. 

The guy has been brought into the Scotland squad ffs.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robert Lazar

• kingantti1874

• JamboAl

• Last Laff

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Leveins Battalion
3 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

I thought he was outstanding the other night when United couldn’t score against the mighty Alloa right enough. 

He has never scored a goal in the Premiership. 

He's that crap that the Scottish Premiership manager of the year thought he was worthy of an international call up 👍

3 minutes ago, Robert Lazar said:

BBC Sportsound host Jonathan Sutherland said he was surprised Celtic or Rangers hadn’t taken a chance on the 24-year-old.

Ex-Gers ace McCall said: “That was close, very close, particularly for one of them to come and take him.”

Sutherland replied: “Blue half?”

McCall said: “Yes.”

I've also heard McCall on Sportsound say that Shankland was close to signing for rangers and there was other teams interested. 

The guy has been brought into the Scotland squad ffs.

Getting into the current Scotland squad means nothing in this day and age but i get what you are saying  

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

He's that crap that the Scottish Premiership manager of the year thought he was worthy of an international call up 👍

He has 2 caps, same as Jason Cummings. Same number John Colquhoun got. It's desperate times up front for Scotland.

Leveins Battalion
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

He has 2 caps, same as Jason Cummings. Same number John Colquhoun got. It's desperate times up front for Scotland.

🤣 But surely you can see that Shankland is better than Wighton!!!!!!!

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, Mort said:

Once he's back up to speed fitness wise, he really needs a loan spell to get regular game time. Likely in the Scottish Championship. 

he’s not first division level

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Leveins Battalion said:

🤣 But surely you can see that Shankland is better than Wighton!!!!!!!

Right now obviously! Not at 19, 20, 21 though. He was shite then. Like Wighton now. Is it not beyond the realms of possibility that Wighton might come into some form out of nowhere at 22 like Shankland did? Mind you, Wighton would still have to do that at a much higher level than Shankland because he earned himself a move to a much better club while Shankland was tumbling down from Aberdeen to St Mirren to Ayr.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

How many caps has Craig Wighton had?

I think that's what pisses a lot of us off more than anything, we go years without having a goal scoring forward, we finally get one in Lafferty, he leaves and we expect to replace him as best we can, there's a guy firing in the goals on a weekly basis in the championship, but no, we opt to take a chance on an injury prone Craig Wighton. WTF

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Robert Lazar said:

I think that's what pisses a lot of us off more than anything, we go years without having a goal scoring forward, we finally get one in Lafferty, he leaves and we expect to replace him as best we can, there's a guy firing in the goals on a weekly basis in the championship, but no, we opt to take a chance on an injury prone Craig Wighton. WTF

And let’s not forget lafferty was absolutely desperate to come back.. And we said no. :rofl:

how’s has that worked out for us?!?

2 hours ago, Last Laff said:

I gave you a few legit reasons why none of they teams went for or needed Shankland after you asked a few hours ago, did you miss that?

Legit nonsesnse.

Second paragraph based on what exactly? 

I said "we may see" based on fitness.  MAY means it could happen or possibly not

Of course, you seem to be content with shite being served up with 100s of excuses and questions of “wht would you do” how would you do it etc etc etc etc instead of actually addressing anything ever replies to you.  And round and round you go.

I thought the thread was about Wighton and not the shite being served up - unless you meant your own posts.

You’ll appear in ten mins time blaming injuries and asking other posters questions. 

What made you think I might mention injuries?  Oh yes, of course, they did happen to our key players for longish spells.  Well spotted.

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

And let’s not forget lafferty was absolutely desperate to come back.. And we said no. :rofl:

how’s has that worked out for us?!?

Cummings was desperate to sign for us as well by all accounts, Apparently he wasn't even allowed to train with us. 

I'm obviously not his biggest fan (him being a hibees favourite) but I'm pretty sure he would of done a job for us and let's be honest, the Hibees would of been raging! That would of gave us all boost.

Leveins Battalion
7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Right now obviously! Not at 19, 20, 21 though. He was shite then. Like Wighton now. Is it not beyond the realms of possibility that Wighton might come into some form out of nowhere at 22 like Shankland did? Mind you, Wighton would still have to do that at a much higher level than Shankland because he earned himself a move to a much better club while Shankland was tumbling down from Aberdeen to St Mirren to Ayr.

Right but he wasn't shite last season after scoring 50 goals in 2 years was he?Imagine if Leicester never signed Vardy because he was 'banging them in at a shite level'.Untried,playing fodder etc etc.

Shankland was available!!.Wighton scored 7 league goals in 82 games for Dundee,why on earth would any manager sign a striker like that???

We would much rather spend six months chasing some kid who has a You Tube video of him playing on some public park in Ghana than go after the easy target. 

I honestly just think Craig Levein is an utter mess when it comes to the attacking side of the game.

If a striker isn't over 6 foot he's not interested. 

5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

We would much rather spend six months chasing some kid who has a You Tube video of him playing on some public park in Ghana than go after the easy target. 

yep, we always want to pull a rabbit out a hat, rather than go for a predictable move that may work out better

Just now, Robert Lazar said:

I honestly just think Craig Levein is an utter mess when it comes to the attacking side of the game.

If a striker isn't over 6 foot he's not interested. 

Do you mean like Conor Washington and Aidan Keena?

Just now, JamboAl said:

Oh, he signs them. Just has no idea how to get the best from them. 

Governor Tarkin
16 minutes ago, Robert Lazar said:

Cummings was desperate to sign for us as well by all accounts, Apparently he wasn't even allowed to train with us. 

I'm obviously not his biggest fan (him being a hibees favourite) but I'm pretty sure he would of done a job for us and let's be honest, the Hibees would of been raging! That would of gave us all boost.

Gutted we never went for him.

I love an anti-hero.

Just now, JamboAl said:

Washington was a Macphee signing. 

Lafferty was a Macphee signing

Goncalves was a Macphee signing

Aidan Keena? Who knows, He's not a 1st team regular so could of been a Levein signing. 

3 minutes ago, bistokid said:

Oh, he signs them. Just has no idea how to get the best from them. 

He's definitely struggling to get the best out of Washington.  Quite difficult when he's injured.

Just now, JamboAl said:

He's definitely struggling to get the best out of Washington.  Quite difficult when he's injured.

He has no idea how to utilise a a striker who is not 6ft 4. Injured or not. 

5 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Gutted we never went for him.

I love an anti-hero.

Could of and probably would of been great successful story. 

1 minute ago, bistokid said:

He has no idea how to utilise a a striker who is not 6ft 4. Injured or not. 

Especially when they're injured.

Leveins Battalion
18 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Right but he wasn't shite last season after scoring 50 goals in 2 years was he?Imagine if Leicester never signed Vardy because he was 'banging them in at a shite level'.Untried,playing fodder etc etc.

Shankland was available!!.Wighton scored 7 league goals in 82 games for Dundee,why on earth would any manager sign a striker like that???

Because that Manager is clueless and inept in identifying good players??

kingantti1874
18 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Because that Manager is clueless and inept in identifying good players??

Man that’s harsh - he can definitely spot a striker .. too quick to forget David Vanecek, Connor Sammon and our lengthy persuit of Curtis Main. 😂

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Robert Lazar said:

David Vanecek

Brushed under the carpet with all the other rotten shit going on at our club. 

but last reason was ruined becuase of injuries 🤦‍♂️ Injuries and the fact that we hung all out hopes on a player we waited 6 months for only for him to be one of the biggest donkeys in the history of the club.

12 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

but last reason was ruined becuase of injuries 🤦‍♂️ Injuries and the fact that we hung all out hopes on a player we waited 6 months for only for him to be one of the biggest donkeys in the history of the club.

But he looked good on YouTube 

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

What has that to do with Wighton?

The debate moved onto whether Levein is capable of getting the best out of the strikers we have signed.

You suggested it is difficult to judge due to injuries.

9 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Yes but I was asking/wondering why Celtic, Rangers, Hibs, Killie etc didn't make a move for him either.

You'd have to ask them.......!

5 hours ago, Robert Lazar said:

Think Wighton has represented Scotland from U15 - U21 level. 

10 hours ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Weren't we getting c. 200k for Hamilton whose contract had expired, making it a net 50k or so?

3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Man that’s harsh - he can definitely spot a striker .. too quick to forget David Vanecek, Connor Sammon and our lengthy persuit of Curtis Main. 😂

I think I would cry if I saw Curtis Main in a hearts top.

A bit like I cried when I saw Samon. 

Now for all those having a go at Wighton, who in his career has shown flashes he is better than what we have seen so far, remember some of Samon's play. 

I rarely criticize anyone who pulls on a maroon top, but every time I saw Salmon he was god awful.

Edited by JamboAndrew

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, Section Q said:

You'd have to ask them.......!

Are their fans similarly obsessed with Shankland? 

They have more reason to sign him. With everyone fit and if we had to swap our best 3 strikers as a bundle I wouldn't swap Uche, Washington and Naismith for Cosgrove, Main and Wilson or Doige, Kamberi and Shaw.

Edited by ToqueJambo

pettigrewsstylist
10 hours ago, Robert Lazar said:

Both decisions based on one mans ego or stubborness i suspect. We are in a pickle, why wouldnt he want to try and fix. 

Jack Hamilton made our national squad. Take a minute to absorb that. Craig'l'fix it must have had a say in it as he certainly fixed it for Craig Wighton to play in the big league.

17 hours ago, Robert Lazar said:

**** Jason Cummings

2791838175.jpg

4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Jack Hamilton made our national squad. Take a minute to absorb that. Craig'l'fix it must have had a say in it as he certainly fixed it for Craig Wighton to play in the big league.

Yeah.  Terrifying.  Horrendous goalkeeper.

I guess you could practically choose anyone for 3rd goalkeeper for national squads though.

I remember people on here saying give Hamilton time and more chances.

8 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Are their fans similarly obsessed with Shankland? 

They have more reason to sign him. With everyone fit and if we had to swap our best 3 strikers as a bundle I wouldn't swap Uche, Washington and Naismith for Cosgrove, Main and Wilson or Doige, Kamberi and Shaw.

Ermmmmm,  Oli Shaw is one of the best young players in Europe.

And Kambeiri is worth at least £2M

Doige is ***te though.

15 hours ago, Robert Lazar said:

David Vanecek

Brushed under the carpet with all the other rotten shit going on at our club. 

Can you explain exactly what went wrong with the Vanecek signing (supported with facts). The only “fact” I know is he arrived very unfit due to an extended holiday with mates. 
Everything else is speculation and not clear who takes the blame. Levein appears to believe it was attitude and application. Not entirely clear how this could have been picked up by greater face to face scouting. (Not sure it’s a fact that we didn’t see him play enough face to face but happy to be corrected). 
Sometimes, players don’t work out on moving Country. Played 8. 3 Goals at new club. Record before joining us reasonable. 
can assume he’s an ok striker. Problem is either player or Levein. I don’t believe there is enough evidence to decide who was in the wrong but it suits certain agendas to ignore the only fact and fall on the Levein at fault side in absence of clarity?  
Happy to be corrected with fact.  Otherwise I have to sit on the fence on that one. 
(just to clarify. I am now in the Levein should go camp). 

5 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Yeah.  Terrifying.  Horrendous goalkeeper.

I guess you could practically choose anyone for 3rd goalkeeper for national squads though.

I remember people on here saying give Hamilton time and more chances.

No doubt the same numpties on here who want to give Wighton time a more chances...

5 hours ago, Sid said:

Can you explain exactly what went wrong with the Vanecek signing (supported with facts). The only “fact” I know is he arrived very unfit due to an extended holiday with mates. 
Everything else is speculation and not clear who takes the blame. Levein appears to believe it was attitude and application. Not entirely clear how this could have been picked up by greater face to face scouting. (Not sure it’s a fact that we didn’t see him play enough face to face but happy to be corrected). 
Sometimes, players don’t work out on moving Country. Played 8. 3 Goals at new club. Record before joining us reasonable. 
can assume he’s an ok striker. Problem is either player or Levein. I don’t believe there is enough evidence to decide who was in the wrong but it suits certain agendas to ignore the only fact and fall on the Levein at fault side in absence of clarity?  
Happy to be corrected with fact.  Otherwise I have to sit on the fence on that one. 
(just to clarify. I am now in the Levein should go camp). 

I don't think any of us have actual facts but i would say, if he wasn't fit, why did Craig Levein start him more than once?

If he really wasn't fit, why didn't we get him fit instead of punting him out the door?

Coming out in the press and calling a player you've signed "rubbish" is questionable as well. 

The whole thing was a mess imo,  but yeah, i think we've just to take it that he wasn't fit and forget about it.