Independence March Edinburgh 5th Oct

North Berwick Jambo

jack D and coke
53 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Actually, in 2014 fat Eck told us we’d be keeping the pound. So our currency would be dependent on decisions made in a central bank in what would then have been a foreign country. Of course we could always have gone for the Euro. That went well for Ireland after the financial crash.

And BTW, no ‘validation’ is required to vote against independence. It’s still a free choice.

Ireland’s economy is in far better health than the uk, the euro has done them no harm whatsovever. 
Are you aware of the state pension you get over there as opposed to here for instance? 

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Hearts

• Justin Z

• Roxy Hearts

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, Old Hearts said:

I have had enough of your childish, blinkered views on the UK. You are infantile to the extreme. I no longer have the inclination to discuss anything with you. You are, in my view, a lost cause. 

If you want to call it running away, fine. I think I will get over your playground antics.

Or in other words; you have shown me up to be spouting utter garbage for the last few pages so now I'm away to bed in the huff

1 minute ago, XB52 said:

Or in other words; you have shown me up to be spouting utter garbage for the last few pages so now I'm away to bed in the huff

More playground antics. Sigh.

2 hours ago, XB52 said:

:smuggy:

35 minutes ago, weehammy said:

So the 10%+ hit that pensions and public sector salaries took due to the banking crisis in Ireland and elsewhere in the Euro zone didn’t matter?

The UK responded by effectively devaluing the pound and cutting interest rates. Ireland couldn’t because their currency and rates are determined by the European Central Bank.

Economies fluctuate hence the interest rate changes. Like most things they're dynamically managed. 

dobmisterdobster
3 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Ireland’s economy is in far better health than the uk, the euro has done them no harm whatsovever. 
Are you aware of the state pension you get over there as opposed to here for instance? 

The Euro hasn't been beneficial to any country not named Germany or France. It has been outright terrible for Greece and Italy.

An Independent Scotland should continue with GBP.

Unknown user
11 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

The Euro hasn't been beneficial to any country not named Germany or France. It has been outright terrible for Greece and Italy.

An Independent Scotland should continue with GBP.

That's a very black and white statement, I'm not sure it stands up to scrutiny. 

I talk about Holland because I spent 10 years there and the standard of living is great, wages are high, crime and poverty rates are low - so low they actually rent prison space out to Belgium and Germany. 

Their infrastructure's in great nick, they have facilities for kids everywhere and if you lose your job, your dole is 70% of your last wage.

Now you can say that the euro hasn't benefited Holland but I don't see how there's any way to say that empirically when it's such a great place to live. 

6 hours ago, coconut doug said:

I said it was one of the weakest in the developed world to suggest otherwise is once again not debating in good faith and not comparing like with like. Which currencies in the developed world have been out performed in recent years by the pound?

BTW the pound has been in a slow steady decline for a century not just "recent years".

What currencies is the pound currently weaker than ?

49 minutes ago, jake said:

Oman Rial, Jordanian, Bahraini, and Kuwaiti Dinar. And tho, slightly weaker for now, the US Dollar is the world's reserve currency. 

Unknown user
10 hours ago, jake said:

I think some are confusing strength with simple current exchange rate values. 

A weak currency is one that's tending to lose value, a strong currency is one that tends to gain value.

Anyone can look at exchange rate trends and see that the pound is not in a position of strength just now, it's downward trending against many currencies, the ones of particular interest being the euro and the dollar, and has been for some time.

Edited by Smithee

coconut doug
10 hours ago, jake said:

It has lost value, over time against nearly all currencies in the developed world. At one time25p used to be called a dollar. We are now reaching parity.

jack D and coke
14 hours ago, weehammy said:

So the 10%+ hit that pensions and public sector salaries took due to the banking crisis in Ireland and elsewhere in the Euro zone didn’t matter?

The UK responded by effectively devaluing the pound and cutting interest rates. Ireland couldn’t because their currency and rates are determined by the European Central Bank.

It mattered yeah. Whose economy is now doing better though? 
€250 a week nearly for pension for over 66’s in ROI now. What is it we get here again? The worst pension in the developed world is it?

21 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

It mattered yeah. Whose economy is now doing better though? 
€250 a week nearly for pension for over 66’s in ROI now. What is it we get here again? The worst pension in the developed world is it?

£160 a week here. old age is gonna be brutal for the people mid to late 30s+ who haven't been paying into a private pension. 

Slightly off the subject but I see the SNP are about to approve the workplace parking tax 

I pay higher tax than the rest of the UK and now I’m going to be taxed to go to my work. Do the SNP care about people that work?

Im sure people will be along the now to tell me I shouldn’t be driving to work ect 

jack D and coke
46 minutes ago, theshed said:

Slightly off the subject but I see the SNP are about to approve the workplace parking tax 

I pay higher tax than the rest of the UK and now I’m going to be taxed to go to my work. Do the SNP care about people that work?

Im sure people will be along the now to tell me I shouldn’t be driving to work ect 

Not being wide bud, how much extra tax do you pay?

On 09/10/2019 at 09:58, Smithee said:

I think some are confusing strength with simple current exchange rate values. 

A weak currency is one that's tending to lose value, a strong currency is one that tends to gain value.

Anyone can look at exchange rate trends and see that the pound is not in a position of strength just now, it's downward trending against many currencies, the ones of particular interest being the euro and the dollar, and has been for some time.

Isn't the aligning of the dollar the pound and the euro being constructed for the inevitable TTIP type deal ?

Or am I being too conspiracy minded again.

2 hours ago, theshed said:

The SNP will not be taxing, just allowing councils to do it. The same as in England

2 hours ago, theshed said:

Why not use the park and ride? 

it's an absolute nightmare driving in Edinburgh because of the number of cars. Think of all the hours a month you sit in traffic. They should just make the main roads like queensferry, St Johns road etc toll roads for people that live outside the city and build massive park and rides on the outskirts. Also the SNP have set targets for reducing greenhouse gases and taking cars off the road is the easiest way to do that.

1 hour ago, jake said:

Isn't the aligning of the dollar the pound and the euro being constructed for the inevitable TTIP type deal ?

Or am I being too conspiracy minded again.

I doubt it, there's mental and then there's utterly ****ing crazy

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Strange that snp want a general election and if one is held their erse is oot the windae 

we wont be fooled again 

:1132:   Clearly, you're still fooled now!   :mw_rolleyes:

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Strange that snp want a general election and if one is held their erse is oot the windae 

we wont be fooled again 

55 seats is the predicted outcome by Prof John Curtis.

Nae Luck!

dobmisterdobster
24 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Nae Luck!

That wouldn't change much in terms of Independence.

5 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

we wont be fooled again 

Please tell me you don't actually believe that the SNP won't win the next ge?? Surely even a rabid unionist like you can't be that dumb

4 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Please tell me you don't actually believe that the SNP won't win the next ge?? Surely even a rabid unionist like you can't be that dumb

:kirk:

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Nae Luck!

#goingfor55

16 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

we wont be fooled again 

:lol:

SNP will absolutely romp it. 

dobmisterdobster
20 hours ago, Sarah O said:

#goingfor55

If the SNP can achieve absolutely nothing with 56 seats in 2015, then who knows what they could do with 55. We might just get independence after all.

Brighton Jambo
On 10/10/2019 at 15:03, XB52 said:

The SNP will not be taxing, just allowing councils to do it. The same as in England

Yeah but it was the Scottish government who granted these powers to cash strapped councils. So they take a huge part of the blame.

could you also defend the named person scheme?

can you also defend the situation with the new children’s hospitals delays 

I asked as I am genuinely interested as it seems that the Scottish government can literally never ever do anything wrong?

3 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Yeah but it was the Scottish government who granted these powers to cash strapped councils. So they take a huge part of the blame.

I asked as I am genuinely interested as it seems that the Scottish government can literally never ever do anything wrong?

What blame?? They are giving councils the power to tax car parking spaces at work, not sure there is any blame there. And if you feel there is blame then I presume you were up in arms with Westminster when they did the same. I agreed with the named person scheme in principal but it wasn't implemented well. The sick kids has been a disaster. Not that you really want answers as you are one of the biggest SNP bad posters on here

6 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I asked as I am genuinely interested as it seems that the Scottish government can literally never ever do anything 

They will probably blame Westminster for that. Seems that what the SNP do. Anything bad, blame Westminster. Anything good, take the credit.

Maybe why Sturgeon is holding off pushing the button for a 2nd referendum. The status quo gives them a buffer to cover up their inadequacies.

11 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

If you don't like it, you could always go back to Brighton. I'm sure your English government never ever do anything wrong, either.

Brighton Jambo
10 minutes ago, XB52 said:

What blame?? They are giving councils the power to tax car parking spaces at work, not sure there is any blame there. And if you feel there is blame then I presume you were up in arms with Westminster when they did the same. I agreed with the named person scheme in principal but it wasn't implemented well. The sick kids has been a disaster. Not that you really want answers as you are one of the biggest SNP bad posters on here

Fair game for being honest, how inconsiderate of you! I think my frustration with the car parking tax stems from the fact the  Scottish government has starved local councils of money for years and they are desperate for cash.  So now they have this they have no choice but to implement.  The Scottish government than they shift the decision into them.  It’s all a bit cynical.  I also think that for people who don’t work in a city centre or near decent public transport it is yet another hit in the pocket.  

Brighton Jambo
6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

If you don't like it, you could always go back to Brighton. I'm sure your English government never ever do anything wrong, either.

That sums it up for me, Scottish nationalism at its worst.    Criticise the Scottish Government and get told to get back where I come from.  Seriously that’s the route you are taking? 

Unlike you I absolutely criticise the Westminster government, any review of my posts sees me hammer then.  Some people on here though just will never ever criticise the Scottish government no matter what.  It totally undermines their credibility.

Brighton Jambo
11 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Actually the more I think about it @@&& you.  I have lived here my whole life, my wife and kids are Scottish I have been schooled, studied and worked here including paying a shed load of tax.

i have exactly as much right to express my views on the Scottish government as you.

and for you to come on and tell me to go home.  Seriously mate just f&&&in do one.  

That sums it up for me, Scottish nationalism at its worst.    Criticise the Scottish Government and get told to get back where I come from.  Seriously that’s the route you are taking? 

Unlike you I absolutely criticise the Westminster government, any review of my posts sees me hammer then.  Some people on here though just will never ever criticise the Scottish government no matter what.  It totally undermines their credibility.

I criticise the Scottish government when justified. You just criticise them, full stop.

1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Actually the more I think about it @@&& you.  I have lived here my whole life, my wife and kids are Scottish I have been schooled, studied and worked here including paying a shed load of tax.

i have exactly as much right to express my views on the Scottish government as you.

and for you to come on and tell me to go home.  Seriously mate just f&&&in do one.  

:yas:

Brighton Jambo
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

I criticise the Scottish government when justified. You just criticise them, full stop.

I criticise the Westminster government when justified.  You just criticise them, full stop.

6 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Don't take it personally mate, it just typical of the Xenophobia they all feel.

Edited by Old Hearts

Brighton Jambo
26 minutes ago, Old Hearts said:

Don't take it personally mate, it just typical of the Xenophobia they all feel.

I know that comment just got to me.

if that was brexiteers telling Europeans to ‘go back where the cane from’ they would be outraged and screaming about xenophobia and how disgusting it is.  It’s okay for them to say the exact same about the English though.  The double standards make me sick.  

1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

if that was brexiteers telling Europeans to ‘go back where the cane from’ they would be outraged and screaming about xenophobia and how disgusting it is.  It’s okay for them to say the exact same about the English though.  The double standards make me sick.  

Indeed. Or, dare I say it, if it was said to someone of a different race?? 🤔🤔

Can't wait for the Scottish border to be rebuilt.

9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

It's the Traitors who will be dealt with. Choked to death by their own flutes shoved right up their arses.

Your having a bit of a mare, I call it quits.

Love the seethe the SNP give people. It's absolutely brilliant. There's nothing they can do against them. Self governance isn't about them, they're a vehicle to try and get us there. 

1 minute ago, Herbert said:

Your having a bit of a mare, I call it quits.

Having a great time. Thought I'd pull Brighton's leg and he spat the dummy. Now wee Uncle Tom has butted in. Magic!

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Tragic Traitor is correct term for folk who actively betray their own people. Uncle Toms is another good one. 

Love reading your posts. Reaffirms to me why I voted NO 😎😎