Independence March Edinburgh 5th Oct

North Berwick Jambo

1 hour ago, luckydug said:

Why do some people hate their own country ?

When it comes to presiding over calamity Westminster is really the mother of all calamitous parliaments.

Scotland has went from strength to strength since devolution.

We have never been better off in Scotland despite Westminster efforts.

If we have never been better off in Scotland, why do the SNP bang on about austerity morning, noon and night??

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Hearts

• Justin Z

• Roxy Hearts

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

coconut doug
5 hours ago, Hasselhoff said:

Not very good considering it is claimed to be a mantra and the claim is that we consider those who do not support independence as not being Scottish. 

There first link has no quotes of what Salmond is supposed to have said to upset the athlete. Could that be that they didn't quote him because the words he spoke do not actually suit the newspaper's agenda?

The second link has but one comment on the issue “They crowded around me. One asked my mum: ‘Are you proud of your son? A traitor to your country?’” and on the basis of this unattributed quote you claim a mantra and an ability to generalise about Indy supporters. The rest of the article is about extreme Scottish Nationalism and how it is deliberately provoking sectarianism. They tell us that Murphy was "pelted with eggs" even though we saw one unidentified person walk past Murphy and break an egg on his back. Nevertheless the media jumps on this mildest form of violence for which the perpetrator has not been convicted AFAIK and attributes it to a large section of Indy supporters. The article also talks about Yes supporters advancing on them in military formation (Yes centurians). I never saw that and find the assertion ludicrous. Once again they try to attach violence, racism, xenophobia and sectarianism(with the deranged Brian Wilson as their source) to the Indy movement when the other side exhibited all these traits far more often and far more severely and continue to do so.  

It is also the case that some Scots cannot really be regarded as real Scots as they do not value Scottish culture preferring other cultures to ours. That is their choice and they are entitled to it but they are not entitled to claim they have been insulted when this is pointed out to them. It's not just the Rangers supporters with their anti-Scottish and pro - English songs, there is a significant number of people who are delighted when something goes wrong in Scotland because it gives them the chance to blame the Scottish government and the inherent inferiority of Scotland and the Scots for whichever calamity occurs. It seems to me that they need to point this out at every opportunity to justify their own self loathing as if it were evidence that they really are inferior. Sometimes the points they make are justified but often on here at least, they make some nasty comment which they will not or cannot substantiate and then disappear until they find something else. 

I know for sure that most Scots Indy supporters  cannot be classed in the way claimed  "In general, their mantra is you are not Scottish unless you support Scottish Nationalism." simply because most of us are relatively recent recruits to the Indy cause and were previously supporters of the union. Events have changed our views. It is not that we have simultaneously stimulated each others repressed sectarian and xenophobic feelings. We see it differently and want a different future to that offered by the UK. We realise that Indy  will be emotionally  painful for some for a wee while at least but even if you don't particularly appreciate Scottish values as represented by the Indy movement and Indy supporters it would take a monumental backward leap of faith to restore the confidence we had in the once great but now highly disfunctional United Kingdom. 

coconut doug
15 minutes ago, Old Hearts said:

If we have never been better off in Scotland, why do the SNP bang on about austerity morning, noon and night??

You go first.

5 hours ago, Old Hearts said:

More interested in the here and now than things that happened hundreds of years ago ffs

But people at Tynie want to wave a flag about something that happened in 1690...

2 hours ago, Janbo1874 said:

Scottish Nationalists hate talking about their past...

A cult which i hope will be forgotten about within a generation or my lifetime but as long as the face painted Braveheart loons keep kicking over the embers of some long forgotten grievance the Scottish Goverment sitting in the Scottish Parliament that they fought tooth and nail for presides over calamity after calamity.

Dearie me. :facepalm:

Who told you to think that?

6 hours ago, coconut doug said:

Not very good considering it is claimed to be a mantra and the claim is that we consider those who do not support independence as not being Scottish. 

There first link has no quotes of what Salmond is supposed to have said to upset the athlete. Could that be that they didn't quote him because the words he spoke do not actually suit the newspaper's agenda?

The second link has but one comment on the issue “They crowded around me. One asked my mum: ‘Are you proud of your son? A traitor to your country?’” and on the basis of this unattributed quote you claim a mantra and an ability to generalise about Indy supporters. The rest of the article is about extreme Scottish Nationalism and how it is deliberately provoking sectarianism. They tell us that Murphy was "pelted with eggs" even though we saw one unidentified person walk past Murphy and break an egg on his back. Nevertheless the media jumps on this mildest form of violence for which the perpetrator has not been convicted AFAIK and attributes it to a large section of Indy supporters. The article also talks about Yes supporters advancing on them in military formation (Yes centurians). I never saw that and find the assertion ludicrous. Once again they try to attach violence, racism, xenophobia and sectarianism(with the deranged Brian Wilson as their source) to the Indy movement when the other side exhibited all these traits far more often and far more severely and continue to do so.  

It is also the case that some Scots cannot really be regarded as real Scots as they do not value Scottish culture preferring other cultures to ours. That is their choice and they are entitled to it but they are not entitled to claim they have been insulted when this is pointed out to them. It's not just the Rangers supporters with their anti-Scottish and pro - English songs, there is a significant number of people who are delighted when something goes wrong in Scotland because it gives them the chance to blame the Scottish government and the inherent inferiority of Scotland and the Scots for whichever calamity occurs. It seems to me that they need to point this out at every opportunity to justify their own self loathing as if it were evidence that they really are inferior. Sometimes the points they make are justified but often on here at least, they make some nasty comment which they will not or cannot substantiate and then disappear until they find something else. 

I know for sure that most Scots Indy supporters  cannot be classed in the way claimed  "In general, their mantra is you are not Scottish unless you support Scottish Nationalism." simply because most of us are relatively recent recruits to the Indy cause and were previously supporters of the union. Events have changed our views. It is not that we have simultaneously stimulated each others repressed sectarian and xenophobic feelings. We see it differently and want a different future to that offered by the UK. We realise that Indy  will be emotionally  painful for some for a wee while at least but even if you don't particularly appreciate Scottish values as represented by the Indy movement and Indy supporters it would take a monumental backward leap of faith to restore the confidence we had in the once great but now highly disfunctional United Kingdom. 

Paranoid response to the first link. Nobody transcribed Salmond’s speeches in full into an article so it never happened. Nobody was arrested and charged so it never happened. Pure denial. 

Here Is the video of him saying It http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-29142488

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/10/salmond-scottish-independence-fight-team-scotland-westminster 

“Mantra” - a statement or slogan repeated frequently

The leader of the SNP at the time repeatedly used the same phrase. 

Alex Salmond said that “Team Scotland” would triumph over “Team Westminster” in next week’s referendum as the leaders of the Westminster parties arrived in Scotland for a day of furious campaigning.

In a round of interviews made before any public appearance of David Cameron, Ed Miliband or Nick Clegg, Salmond repeatedly used the terms to cast his campaign for independence as the Scots against Westminster.

portobellojambo1

I'm fortunate in that I don't have to pass through the city centre to reach either my pre match club or Tynecastle itself, both are about a 5 minute walk from the front door.

From reading a little bit of this thread yesterday I came to the conclusion, rightly or wrongly, that there would be around 200,000 people marching today. Yet when you read the information available online this morning the numbers being hoped for are equivalent to the last time such a march took place in Edinburgh, and on that occasion the organisers are saying the turn out was 20,000.

Irrespective of the numbers who do turn up the most important thing happening today is at Tynecastle, not on the streets of Edinburgh, and it is the former I'll be attending.

3fingersreid
9 hours ago, Toggie88 said:

I've got a wedding tomorrow, so won't be along myself but just heard my uncle - who has never been on a political march in his life - is going tomorrow. Could be high numbers but suspect weather may end up deterring a fair few. 

Independence but only if it’s dry ?? 

Harry Potter
8 hours ago, Old Hearts said:

And if better off why change it and go alone.

jack D and coke
16 hours ago, luckydug said:

Always puzzled me that.

If people from overseas were allowed to vote in the Independence referendum why was that right not extended to people from overseas who are resident in the UK ?

Both groups are/were affected by the outcomes of the votes.

Seems very unfair.

I agree. I think at the very least Scots in the U.K. should’ve had a vote. 

14 hours ago, Hasselhoff said:

Those articles are embarrasing. Lynsey Sharp is a Rangers supporting unionist troll, an absolute arsehole and as for that other one about terrifying Nats surrounding people well I’m speechless tbh. Embarrasing trying to make out it’s all big nasty men armed with eggs honestly :rofl: 

Compare it to the English brexit vote where an MP actually lost her life and the nastiness you see at their demos and all you have is that utter clown Jim Murphy getting an egg on him. If anyone ever deserved a barrage of eggs it’s that idiot. Going round Scotland standing on a crate shouting hahahahaha what a clown. Pity Ruth Davidson and Rennie and any of those other balloons weren’t there to get covered an all. 
Ive said it before but one of the best descriptions of unionist supporters is like a footballer like Neymar. Barely get a finger laid on him but rolls about like he’s had a leg broken totally exaggerating contact. Looking at the ref trying to get people into trouble. It’s like a couple of ******s who are unionists on here who have reported me and had me thread banned for trivial stuff. 
Get the big boy pants on ffs. 

Edited by jack D and coke

Lynsey Sharp should concentrate on her sport instead of constantly moaning about politics or her competitors. 

North Berwick Jambo

Wee tune this morning for those heading along 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Edited by North Berwick Jambo

jack D and coke
34 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Deary me

any Andy Stewart ?

Well you lot have the Thornlie Boys at your Orange walks and stuff. 
Both quite catchy tbh. 

Governor Tarkin
10 hours ago, coconut doug said:

It is also the case that some Scots cannot really be regarded as real Scots as they do not value Scottish culture preferring other cultures to ours. That is their choice and they are entitled to it but they are not entitled to claim they have been insulted when this is pointed out to them. 

Good lord.

:cornette:

7 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Good lord.

A True Scot is a racist, blinkered, parochial arsehole*

*allegedly

12 hours ago, Janbo1874 said:

Scottish Nationalists hate talking about their past...

A cult which i hope will be forgotten about within a generation or my lifetime but as long as the face painted Braveheart loons keep kicking over the embers of some long forgotten grievance the Scottish Goverment sitting in the Scottish Parliament that they fought tooth and nail for presides over calamity after calamity.

You are right, Scottish Nationalists want to talk about Scotland's future, away from the evil of Britain's past, present and future. 

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

A True Scot is a racist, blinkered, parochial arsehole*

*allegedly

I'm convinced coconut doug is actually a Russian shit-stirring algorithm.

2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

And if better off why change it and go alone.

I'm not going to lie.

I see myself as Scottish and my support for Independence is more about Scotland having self respect and standing on its own two feet.

It annoys me that I am unable to declare myself as Scottish on my passport.

Although we discuss independence and the different opinions of it, I think we are already independent as Scotland is a country. It's who's best to govern it is the issue and I think it's the people who live here. 

Can't understand why that's difficult to comprehend. IMO. I like a lot of what we've done together in the past and a lot I haven't liked. I think a lot of us feel differently about which direction suits Scotland best. WM has become too London centric. 

jack D and coke
49 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Although we discuss independence and the different opinions of it, I think we are already independent as Scotland is a country. It's who's best to govern it is the issue and I think it's the people who live here. 

Can't understand why that's difficult to comprehend. IMO. I like a lot of what we've done together in the past and a lot I haven't liked. I think a lot of us feel differently about which direction suits Scotland best. WM has become too London centric. 

That’s it. 
Dafties want to portray everyone who does as a dressed up like the side of a shortbread tin and listening to bagpipes all day shouting freedom. 
Just like I don’t assume everybody who likes being in the union as like that McConachie idiot who’s going to need an operation to get his sunglasses off and the Union Jack shirt off his back. 

5 hours ago, frankblack said:

I'll be in a boozer before the Killie game.  Hope it is absolutely pishing it down on these losers.

Such a Scottish post... 

I'll be in the boozer getting wrecked and these losers are walking in support of Scottish independence... 

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, jumpship said:

Such a Scottish post... 

I'll be in the boozer getting wrecked and these losers are walking in support of Scottish independence... 

Believe it or believe it not but Fwank voted Yes.

:tlj:

Really some utter gash on this thread. 

Folk who believe we could do it better ourselves are joining together to have a fun day out with no violence or animosity. 

Folk on here talking about hoping it rains, not proper Scots, weve never had it so good etc. Jeezo!

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Believe it or believe it not but Fwank voted Yes.

:tlj:

Must o changed his mind.:), thats allowed.

2 hours ago, luckydug said:

I'm not going to lie.

I see myself as Scottish and my support for Independence is more about Scotland having self respect and standing on its own two feet.

It annoys me that I am unable to declare myself as Scottish on my passport.

Aye nightmare bud.

9 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Really some utter gash on this thread. 

Folk who believe we could do it better ourselves are joining together to have a fun day out with no violence or animosity. 

Folk on here talking about hoping it rains, not proper Scots, weve never had it so good etc. Jeezo!

No-one hates the Scots more than the Scots themselves.

A bit like Hearts supporters, really. :wink:

7 hours ago, frankblack said:

I'll be in a boozer before the Killie game.  Hope it is absolutely pishing it down on these losers.

It is

IMG_20191005_142404-1008x756.thumb.jpg.a18f4bbb11b966c097f99d299c1dded6.jpg

:pleasing:

We've been sat in Doctor's Orders near the uni and Meadows for a full 20 minutes. As we walked, we could not see the front of the group. Marchers are still continuing to pass here.

Absolutely amazing scenes, party atmosphere, and a truly lovely experience of solidarity and inclusion. 💙🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

41 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

We've been sat in Doctor's Orders near the uni and Meadows for a full 20 minutes. As we walked, we could not see the front of the group. Marchers are still continuing to pass here.

Absolutely amazing scenes, party atmosphere, and a truly lovely experience of solidarity and inclusion. 💙🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Inclusion 😂😂😂

3 minutes ago, Old Hearts said:

Inclusion 😂😂😂

Yes indeed. Several flags of England amongst the group; I probably saw 30 countries' flags represented. They reject the xenophobic, foreigner-blaming direction the Union has taken and I thank them for it from the bottom of my heart.

Finally, the end of the march has been reached. Easily 100,000 people at a conservative estimate. Amazing experience.

J.T.F.Robertson
19 minutes ago, Adam Murray said:

JCS, long time supporters of Irish republican terror groups.

FB_IMG_1570284590950.jpg

That guy at the side wi the big beard's goat a knife in his soak. :hae36:

5 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Yes indeed. Several flags of England amongst the group; I probably saw 30 countries' flags represented. They reject the xenophobic, foreigner-blaming direction the Union has taken and I thank them for it from the bottom of my heart.

Finally, the end of the march has been reached. Easily 100,000 people at a conservative estimate. Amazing experience.

Including a Society that supports a terrorist organisation. Do you thank them from the bottom of your heart too??

1 minute ago, Old Hearts said:

Including a Society that supports a terrorist organisation. Do you thank them from the bottom of your heart too??

Dry your eyes mate, and give it a rest, ffs.

1 minute ago, Old Hearts said:

The original IRA were not a terrorist organisation but I'm sure you know that. 

1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

It is

IMG_20191005_142404-1008x756.thumb.jpg.a18f4bbb11b966c097f99d299c1dded6.jpg

:pleasing:

Looks about 20 people there from that pic.

Hope these delusion halfwits get absolutely soaked and they are proving nothing anyway.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Looks about 20 people there from that pic.

Hope these delusion halfwits get absolutely soaked and they are proving nothing anyway.

Well said!! Why they felt the need to sit in one place, in the rain, in protest of a party march, who can say?

Edited by Justin Z

4 minutes ago, XB52 said:

The original IRA were not a terrorist organisation but I'm sure you know that. 

And that makes it ok then?

Sigh.

5 minutes ago, XB52 said:

The original IRA were not a terrorist organisation but I'm sure you know 

Edited by Old Hearts
Double post

jack D and coke

It’s absolutely glorious the seethe these marches generate. My Facebook is full of all the nice friendly unionists talking about how everyone involved is scum and doesn’t have a job and then wanting to batter people and knock peoples teeth out etc etc. 
British nationalism in a nutshell. 

15 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s absolutely glorious the seethe these marches generate. My Facebook is full of all the nice friendly unionists talking about how everyone involved is scum and doesn’t have a job and then wanting to batter people and knock peoples teeth out etc etc. 
British nationalism in a nutshell. 

Its not much different from an orange march tbh.  Similar kinds of arseholes trying to convince themselves Independence will happen despite no government going to give them a referendum.

Wouldn't there be more point marching on Westminster than Hollyrood?