Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• neilnunb

• Hearts007

• HMFC01

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Nice draw too. Juventus, Barcelona, Dynamo Kiev.

It's almost a shame that we get to miss out on Celtic getting absolutely ****ing ragdolled in that group :lol:

Just now, Sir Gio said:

Celtic ahead. Huge surprise these games are not getting much exposure 

The boy on the radio nearly wet himself again when they scored.

Bazzas right boot

Pat Bonner typing with his left hand for the bbc as he fingers himself with his right. 

Tadger that he is. 

2 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

The boy on the radio nearly wet himself again when they scored.

Bonner did. Slavering arse that he is. 

4 minutes ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

Is this the final set of qualifiers tonight ? 

Yes 

League for the winners

Edited by Mikey1874

Not over yet :)   All it takes is 1 goal followed by another then it's a draw 😮  Galatasaray have subbed a few forwards.

Edited by HMFC01

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Goals win games

Well, that's a shite keeper.   Classic!  He had plenty time to go for it.  Also, Judeging by the way they passed it forward through the team, it looks like game over alright :(  too easy.

Edited by HMFC01

Guest ToqueJambo

Have to say, while Celtic seem to scrape through European games against far inferior opposition, Gerrard has transformed Rangers into a very solid unit in Europe, getting results against quite tricky sides.

Ignoring who he currently manages, am I alone in thinking Gerrard might have something about him as a manager?

6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Have to say, while Celtic seem to scrape through European games against far inferior opposition, Gerrard has transformed Rangers into a very solid unit in Europe, getting results against quite tricky sides.

Ignoring who he currently manages, am I alone in thinking Gerrard might have something about him as a manager?

Don't think it should be too surprising that Gerrard knows how to negotiate Europe. Rangers are a good footballing side. They can be efficient against other footballing sides. The anti football low block mentality in Scotland is another matter.

Stendelsarmy
13 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

He's had some fantastic results in Europe with them. Seeded teams must curse when they get drawn against unseeded Rangers now.

Bazzas right boot
42 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Nah, he definitely does. 

Has his team playing well and fluid. Definitely has a style, you can see that with rangers over the past few seasons and they have improved. 

The question is can the grind out games, they have in the past tended to play well in 4/5 games and win well then draw or get beat. Rinse and repeat where as celtic tended to keep on winning, even if it wasn't handsome as rangers and Ofc celtic ground out results v them more often than not. 

I think they'll win the League this season, signs were there - that in the head to head v ranger's it was closer each game over the past few seasons. 

Be a catrostrophic failure for Celtic to not to win the league tho, but also a bit funny.

And we'd need to put  up with their fans gloating about 55 and their first trophy in their new guise v 10iar if celtic win it. 

The excitement of Scottish football. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Don't think it should be too surprising that Gerrard knows how to negotiate Europe. Rangers are a good footballing side. They can be efficient against other footballing sides. The anti football low block mentality in Scotland is another matter.

Not to be a dick but I take it you are a Rangers man? 

2 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Not to be a dick but I take it you are a Rangers man? 

No, I'm a Hearts man. What about that post made you think otherwise?

Just now, JFK-1 said:

No, I'm a Hearts man. What about that post made you think otherwise?

Like I said, wasn’t being a dick, just wondered. You seem very protective of Gerrard and Rangers. We’ve discussed Gerrard as manager before and your reference to “anti football” cause Rangers can’t beat Hibs away or Livi away seemed strange comment for a Hearts man. Michael Beale is the brian’s behind Rangers, Gerrard is just the poster boy to keep season ticket sales up. Most of the players allude to Gerrard not actual doing much and our very own Andy Halliday makes reference to Beale being the main man in his open goal interview. 

Just now, busby1985 said:

Like I said, wasn’t being a dick, just wondered. You seem very protective of Gerrard and Rangers. We’ve discussed Gerrard as manager before and your reference to “anti football” cause Rangers can’t beat Hibs away or Livi away seemed strange comment for a Hearts man. Michael Beale is the brian’s behind Rangers, Gerrard is just the poster boy to keep season ticket sales up. Most of the players allude to Gerrard not actual doing much and our very own Andy Halliday makes reference to Beale being the main man in his open goal interview. 

I don't research it that deeply. If you think Gerrard isn't running the team so be it. As for anti football the Scottish league in general is. It's utter crap. The major strategy is defend like your life depends on it and prevent any football breaking out.

It's one reason why nothing but the OF gets anywhere in Europe. They do play football. Both of them. And I'm not being protective of Celtic and Lennon when I say that. 

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Nice draw too. Juventus, Barcelona, Dynamo Kiev.

Great games, hope their fans get to see some of them. 

Just now, JFK-1 said:

I don't research it that deeply. If you think Gerrard isn't running the team so be it. As for anti football the Scottish league in general is. It's utter crap. The major strategy is defend like your life depends on it and prevent any football breaking out.

It's one reason why nothing but the OF gets anywhere in Europe. They do play football. Both of them. And I'm not being protective of Celtic and Lennon when I say that. 

See, I don’t see the Scottish game as utter crap. I think that’s a myth we get rammed down our throat by people in the media, our own media as well any time Celtic/Rangers don’t win domestically or lose in Europe. The fact is, the old firm have astronomical wage bills compared to the rest and do to the league what any club with those resources should do. Some sides don’t get me wrong Park the bus and hope for draws etx against the old firm but Celtic/Rangers should be able to get round that with the players they can afford. Gerrard hasn’t won a single trophy in his time in Scotland and in nearly every big game that matters, he’s lost it. Plan A for Rangers is class but after 3 seasons they still don’t have a Plan B hence the reason they dropped points at Livi and hibs. Come the old firm game he could be 5 points behind after the first round of fixtures. The boys a myth. 

18 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

See, I don’t see the Scottish game as utter crap. I think that’s a myth we get rammed down our throat by people in the media, our own media as well any time Celtic/Rangers don’t win domestically or lose in Europe. The fact is, the old firm have astronomical wage bills compared to the rest and do to the league what any club with those resources should do. Some sides don’t get me wrong Park the bus and hope for draws etx against the old firm but Celtic/Rangers should be able to get round that with the players they can afford. Gerrard hasn’t won a single trophy in his time in Scotland and in nearly every big game that matters, he’s lost it. Plan A for Rangers is class but after 3 seasons they still don’t have a Plan B hence the reason they dropped points at Livi and hibs. Come the old firm game he could be 5 points behind after the first round of fixtures. The boys a myth. 

It's irrelevant to me who is responsible for Rangers playing football of a style that gets them into Euro group stages 3 years running. And in my view the rest of the league play nothing like the style of football required to get anywhere in Europe.

Are the sheep playing silky flowing football? Are they getting anywhere in Europe? No to both of those questions. They sign 'big physical units' to strong arm a game and lob long balls. And they're typically judged to be 3rd best in the league. Amateurs could do what they do.

There's tackling going on in Scottish football that wouldn't be tolerated in England far less Europe. Tackling designed to constantly interrupt the flow of play. Which is exactly why sheep fans were whining when they went out in Europe against Portugal. Ref was against them they say. Whistle happy.

Actually he wasn't. He just wasn't allowing the typical play that goes on week in week out in Scottish football. The same play the sheep employ every week. Then when they play continental opposition they're lost.

And it's exactly why TV wont pay large sums to televise it. Because it isn't attractive flowing football. OF aside.

Edited by JFK-1

6 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

It's irrelevant to me who is responsible for Rangers playing football of a style that gets them into Euro group stages 3 years running. And in my view the rest of the league play nothing like the style of football required to get anywhere in Europe.

Are the sheep playing silky flowing football? Are they getting anywhere in Europe? No to both of those questions. They sign 'big physical units' to strong arm a game and lob long balls. And they're typically judged to be 3rd best in the league. Amateurs could do what they do.

There's tackling going on in Scottish football that wouldn't be tolerated in England far less Europe. Tackling designed to constantly interrupt the flow of play. Which is exactly why sheep fans were whining when they went out in Europe against Portugal. Ref was against them they say. Whistle happy.

Actually he wasn't. He just wasn't allowing the typical play that goes on week in week out in Scottish football. The same play the sheep employ every week. Then when they play continental opposition they're lost.

And it's exactly why TV wont pay large sums to televise it. Because it isn't attractive flowing football. OF aside.

Aberdeen are playing some lovely football just now, as are Hibs. Aberdeen/Motherwell/Hibs/Hearts etx have tiny budgets compared to the old firm and sides in Europe. I don’t know what you expect? 

“Attractive free flowing football, old firm aside”. Again, not to question your Hearts credentials but you don’t sound like a Hearts fan if I am honest. Celtic have been ganting this season, most of their own fans would even admit to that. Rangers have failed to win their two most important domestic games to date because they don’t have a Plan B. 

1 minute ago, busby1985 said:

Aberdeen are playing some lovely football just now, as are Hibs. Aberdeen/Motherwell/Hibs/Hearts etx have tiny budgets compared to the old firm and sides in Europe. I don’t know what you expect? 

“Attractive free flowing football, old firm aside”. Again, not to question your Hearts credentials but you don’t sound like a Hearts fan if I am honest. Celtic have been ganting this season, most of their own fans would even admit to that. Rangers have failed to win their two most important domestic games to date because they don’t have a Plan B. 

Well there you have a common occurrence, different views about football. Forget this Hearts fan thing, on top of that I'm a football fan. And what I see in Scotland most of the time isn't attractive football anybody but Scottish fans would be interested in.

And if Celtic are ganting and Rangers have no plan B then wow, they're both in Europe, again. While ganting and with no plan B. And taking the two top spots in the league while one is ganting and the other has no plan B.

What does it matter to me how many plans Rangers have? If they no plans or a dozen plans it still wont change the overall unattractive nature of Scottish football. And until it does change TV will remain of the same opinion.

Now I'm not the only one of that opinion. I have seen actual experts such as Gordon Strachan say exactly the same thing.

You need to contact such experts and TV to convince them how good it is. Even if you could convince me it wouldn't change anything.

J.T.F.Robertson
1 hour ago, busby1985 said:

He's only telling it as he sees it. FWIW, I'm in total agreement. Outside of the usual suspects Scottish fitbaw is shite, and even then, when they come up against a real side they are reduced to the same.

Tells you just how bad the rest of us are.

Guess that makes me not sound like one of us either.

Btw, "some lovely football"? And I don't say that because you throw Hibs into your equation. Sheesh!

Edited by J.T.F.Robertson

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Goal of the night in Europe

Scott Sterling in defense! :)

Edited by redjambo

4 minutes ago, mayfield said:

Got to hand it to Dundalk getting through to the group stages.

Massive for them.

Yes and no. Their opposition in the final play off round was a little Faroese club with a stadium capacity of 2,630 and a total squad value of around £1.6 million.

I think Hearts would make it through if the opposition were of that standard. Hell I think even the sheep and Motherwell would have.

It's down to Dundalk being the champions of Ireland then being beaten in the CL qualifiers and dropping into the Europa league play off round like Celtic did through the Champions path. And drawing probably the weakest team left in it

Dundalk have played a total of 33 CL matches, all qualifying round matches but have never qualified for the CL groups, they have just 4 wins out of those 33 matches.

13 minutes ago, mayfield said:

Got to hand it to Dundalk getting through to the group stages.

Massive for them.

(Not British, I know.)

Can we give it a rest on how rubbish it all is. Finally got my season ticket today, need some positive vibes. Moved to Gorgie stand so I'll get home virtually quicker. That's something. 

Arthur Morgan
5 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Aberdeen are playing some lovely football just now, as are Hibs.

Wow, you must have very very low expectations.

8 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Rangers got to the Europa League final playing anti football 

Aberdeen and lovely flowing football 

:rofl:

Rangers have been impressive this far. They really need to cut out the domestic blips though because as gash as Celtic are this season, they get the job done almost every time. 

6 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Rangers got to the Europa League final playing anti football 

Don't disagree. But that has no relevance to the current condition of Scottish football and the efforts to sell it.

Since other games have been mentioned. End of the penalty shoot out!!! After Milan equalising in last seconds of extra time from hand ball penalty.