Neil McCann

Inch Hearts

Just now, sadj said:

I wondered about that. Was he in charge of recruitment? 

I'm not convinced that any head coach at any club anywhere has absolute control of player recruitment, but there is usually some level of sign off. The Dundee squad that Jim McIntyre inherited was hopeless, of that there is no doubt.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• sadj

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have family who are big Dundee fans and they said he tried to have them play good football on a crap budget..

yeah had high standards and then fell out with players.... so hurt out for me !!!

if true he gets my backing and we see how we do!!!

we could bring in PEP and fans wouldn’t be happy.. 😂

2 minutes ago, king.Robbo said:

I have family who are big Dundee fans and they said he tried to have them play good football on a crap budget..

yeah had high standards and then fell out with players.... so hurt out for me !!!

yep we would need to bring in a guy thats never been sacked from anywhere..and that doesn't leave a lot of choice 😄

Graham Thomson
3 hours ago, EH22-Jambo said:

I would accept this, he at least tried to play attacking football at Dundee. Hopefully with better players at his disposal he can do the necessary. 

Agree 👍 lots of young managers don't do well at the first club they manage, but he is intelligent and knows his football, was also a great player...

3 minutes ago, king.Robbo said:

Dundee had the 6th biggest wage budget in the Premiership under both Hartley and McCann. 

My preference for a new head coach is that we don't bring back another legend.

This is akin to Sevco hiring Sally McCoist to appease the fans. How did that turn out for them? Whilst I wouldn’t judge NM for what he tried to do at Dundee, if this appointment is true, then it’s more to shut the fans up whilst CL slithers back upstairs. NM will be just another levein lackey imo. I would keep MacPhee amd bin the rest. A clear out is required now. CL looks like a deer caught in the headlights these days. 

3 hours ago, Armageddon said:

For me this is just a Twitter rumour that's been picked up and posted here.  

The only way a McCann appointment would happen is if Levein stays as DoF.

I think he will def stay as dof at least for the remainder of his contract

7 minutes ago, king.Robbo said:

Tippy happy shite get it up the ****ing park 😂

5 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I'm not sure that's necessarily how it works with director level appointments and dismissals. It's more a case of voting him out, which requires a statutory 28 day notice period of the intentions of the PLC. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

See this is the problem. You push one out you don't like, the next one in, a whole new bunch of people don't like the next one either.

3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

See this is the problem. You push one out you don't like, the next one in, a whole new bunch of people don't like the next one either.

And that's why giving Neil McCann the job makes sense?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

And that's why giving Neil McCann the job makes sense?

I wouldn't have thought so, no, frying pan fire. On the Robinson thread, I have suggested a clean break and someone with no baggage of the Scottish game

1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

You'd almost think this rumour is being spread so that folk think Levein isn't that bad after all...

This went through my mind immediately

12 minutes ago, jambo_74 said:

I'm not sure that's necessarily how it works with director level appointments and dismissals. It's more a case of voting him out, which requires a statutory 28 day notice period of the intentions of the PLC. 

Director of Football and being a director are two completely different things.

As director he will generally need to be re-elected every year on to the board by shareholders, which will be based on shareholding levels when it comes to final decision.  Shows of hands at AGM don't really count.

As Director of Football, he will have a form of contract whether it be fixed term or open ended.

Edited by DETTY29

Looking at this from the players perspective I'm not sure that Levein bringing in McCann while he loiters in the background will have the requisite effect... Surely the players need a hard reset where they all go back to square one and need to prove their worth to the new guy?

32 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Get Levein kicked out the door first, with a very hefty boot up the backside. Put Andy Kirk in as caretaker manager, then follow the correct process of advertising the job and getting the best candidate in.........simples. 

Also get rid of McPhee, Daly and Fox while we're at it.

What length of contract do they all have left? Compensation could be costly. 

4 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

I'd love to know where Inch Hearts is getting his information from

The boy who served him his king rib supper last night !

Levein going back upstairs I assume? 

Ffs Budge get a grip, show a bit of ****ing ambition. We are Heart of Midlothian, should not be getting Neil McCann is manager.

Jambof3tornado

Can we not just have a period of interviews and select the best candidate we can afford??

After the cathro debacle and the last 10 months we cannot afford to mess this up.

Edited by Jambof3tornado

6 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

What length of contract do they all have left? Compensation could be costly. 

We can do a whip-round to get shot of Fox and Daly.

Sometimes a different voice is needed and I can see why this would be appealing to the club rather than just promoting Macphee/Kirk etc.

I can’t see CL leaving the club until his contract ends so him moving back to his previous role with NM becoming head coach could work for the board.

It wouldn’t be my choice but I can see it happening.

9 minutes ago, Jap Jambo said:

Looking at this from the players perspective I'm not sure that Levein bringing in McCann while he loiters in the background will have the requisite effect... Surely the players need a hard reset where they all go back to square one and need to prove their worth to the new guy?

Unless making significantly more money than he does with his media committments,  McCann doesn't appear the type to be happy to be the next 'p(h)oodle'

Which is why Levein most likely needs to go completely because irrespective of who we put in charge he will be accused of picking the team, tactics, substitutions, running the medical side of the club and all the various vile accusations you see on other social media outlets.

9 minutes ago, Jap Jambo said:

Totally agree. However, maybe if the new manager was allowed to make the changes he would like to the coaching staff around him, it will bring that freshness?

I don’t think McCann(if it’s him appointed) will need the guidance at the side of the park Neilson got. 

He seems quite headstrong and maybe even request little input from Levein or being near the training pitch. 

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
5 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Totally agree. However, maybe if the new manager was allowed to make the changes he would like to the coaching staff around him, it will bring that freshness?

I don’t think McCann(if it’s him appointed) will need the guidance at the side of the park Neilson got. 

He seems quite headstrong and maybe even request little input from Levein or being near the training pitch. 

If true this has “Levein interfering” scandal written all over it and a big fall out between McCann and Levein. Would not be a good appointment-it would be a massive risk when we are in this position we should be going for someone like Neil Warnock. 

No idea if its true or not, but I do know someone tried to place a £50 bet in Dalkeith the other day on this.

Hopefully not true.  McCann was an angry wee man at Dundee who looked like he couldn't handle the pressure. 

We need a management change so any change needs to be welcomed. 

Every new management change carries risk and won't always work out, no matter who the manager is. 

McCann knows hearts and scottish football so has a head start on other potential candidates. 

I also liked the look of Dundee when they played at tyncastle under McCann. Obviously things didn't work out. 

1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

All the positive negative angry whatever chat aside if you look from a continuity point of handing over the reigns to FoH then it does make sense to go back upstairs until his contract ends in the summer. 

1 hour ago, jambo_74 said:

DoF is a job not an elected position 🙈

1 hour ago, FruitJuice said:

I dont know what but somethings happened.  Maybe just a broken man?

😂 its both worrying and encuraging

52 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

Please no.

I'd rather we just promoted Kirk.

Kirk down the line yes , bin Daly and Fox promote Kirk and find another coach McCann wants and it could work. McCann isn’t stupid , might not be people’s choice but he refused to come in under Levein so he’s not going to come in as a Levein puppet is he?

50 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

As director he will generally need to be re-elected every year on to the board by shareholders, which will be based on shareholding levels when it comes to final decision.  Shows of hands at AGM don't really count.

As Director of Football, he will have a form of contract whether it be fixed term or open ended.

Don’t talk logic and sense 😒

41 minutes ago, GorgieRules22 said:

We can do a whip-round to get shot of Fox and Daly.

29 minutes ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

If true this has “Levein interfering” scandal written all over it and a big fall out between McCann and Levein. Would not be a good appointment-it would be a massive risk when we are in this position we should be going for someone like Neil Warnock. 

Neil Warnock? As in the current Cardiff manager retiring at the end of this year who’s wage would most likely by at least 6/7 times Levein’s nmd just the 4/5 times more McInnes makes? 

Any managerial appointment is a risk. We have players that should in theory work with the playing style that McCann tried to instil at Dundee. It might work , his player recruitment worries me IF he was in charge of it at Dundee there was some awful signings. Interfering , I can’t see that working McCann is his own man as I referenced in a previous post. As I said to Dallas though Daly and Fox need removed 

3 hours ago, Bozi said:

Kickback in a nutshell 

"Mad Levein ooot at all costs"

Rumour of impending appointment 

"no Mccann, hes pish, I'd rather keep Levein" 

Nothing wrong in that.  

How about, we get someone with a proven track record, and who had some success, with Levein out the picture altogether. 

Edited by Paolo

Italian Lambretta
56 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

No idea if its true or not, but I do know someone tried to place a £50 bet in Dalkeith the other day on this.

Hopefully not true.  McCann was an angry wee man at Dundee who looked like he couldn't handle the pressure. 

A guy in his 50's with a grey beard and glasses?

Edited by Italian Lambretta

I do not believe for one second we would pay for Neil McCann when we already have Steven Naismith on the books.  There's only one of those names I would want as our Manager.

1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

Then whoever we appoint, will be under his control and influence.   We’d be as well just having Levein.  

7 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

A guy in his 50's with a grey beard and glasses?

He does have a very good friend with strong Dalkeith connections...

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

As Director of Football, he will have a form of contract whether it be fixed term or open ended.all

Sorry, my mistake. So he is not only the Manager, but he is also the Director of Football, and presumably he has separate contracts of employment for both positions? But moreover he is also a member of the board, the same board that ratifies the appointments of individuals to both the aforementioned positions which he currently holds. That's a significant amount of power for one individual to have.

The question is then, if he stands down from both his current salaried positions, would anyone care that he is still a member of the board of directors? Or should he resign his directorship as well?

2 hours ago, Martin_T said:

Neil McCann talks well, but the evidence of his time at Dundee is that he is terrible at player recruitment, this is the head coach who paid a transfer fee for Jack Hamilton!

It's a no from me.

He did.  

Levein paid one for Wighton, and a significant one.    He also made said Hamilton our number one keeper, and said it was his intention all along.  

Not convinced this is true

but McCann did try and play decent football with Dundee, but didn’t have the players to do and and therefore failed.

Does he have the players here to do that, dunno

if the club wanted to replace the first team manager they should get the right person, Don’t think McCann is that person, but I just cannot see CL severing all ties with the club 

30 minutes ago, sadj said:

Kirk down the line yes , bin Daly and Fox promote Kirk and find another coach McCann wants and it could work. McCann isn’t stupid , might not be people’s choice but he refused to come in under Levein so he’s not going to come in as a Levein puppet is he?

Neil Warnock? As in the current Cardiff manager retiring at the end of this year who’s wage would most likely by at least 6/7 times Levein’s nmd just the 4/5 times more McInnes makes? 

Any managerial appointment is a risk. We have players that should in theory work with the playing style that McCann tried to instil at Dundee. It might work , his player recruitment worries me IF he was in charge of it at Dundee there was some awful signings. Interfering , I can’t see that working McCann is his own man as I referenced in a previous post. As I said to Dallas though Daly and Fox need removed 

I think Warnock is one of those managers who keeps on ‘retiring’. 

I also think, if he was offered the job, and in the position to take it, he would. 

28 minutes ago, sadj said:

Easy pal, no need for the condescension, I admit my error in respect of the role being separate from his directorship. However, he is also an elected member of the board, so getting rid of him entirely will require what I suggested.

8 minutes ago, Paolo said:

He did.  

Levein paid one for Wighton, and a significant one.    He also made said Hamilton our number one keeper, and said it was his intention all along.  

Pretty sure it was Neilson who made that statement about Hamilton.

Just now, DH1986 said:

Pretty sure it was Neilson who made that statement about Hamilton.

I don’t think it was.  Levein made of, after we messed up with our main target - who’s name I forget. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Martin_T said:

Neil McCann talks well, but the evidence of his time at Dundee is that he is terrible at player recruitment, this is the head coach who paid a transfer fee for Jack Hamilton!

It's a no from me.

If he was in charge of recruitment then he also got some mug to pay £250k for Craig Wighton 🤔.