Neil McCann

Inch Hearts

9 minutes ago, jambo_74 said:

Sorry, my mistake. So he is not only the Manager, but he is also the Director of Football, and presumably he has separate contracts of employment for both positions? But moreover he is also a member of the board, the same board that ratifies the appointments of individuals to both the aforementioned positions which he currently holds. That's a significant amount of power for one individual to have.

The question is then, if he stands down from both his current salaried positions, would anyone care that he is still a member of the board of directors? Or should he resign his directorship as well?

All very valid.

Ive not checked other clubs but I think it may have been the same at Dundee United.

Larger clubs may also have DoF on a borad but the may have an over all company board and a football one.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• sadj

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

What length of contract do they all have left? Compensation could be costly. 

We are 3k down on league attendances so far, that’s over £200k. Add in less season tickets, corporate downturn etc we can’t afford to keep them all much longer.

Odd appointment if it happens.

Much like a Cathro type move, but at least McCann talks sense in the media unlike Cathro's cryptic ramblings.

McCann would have my full support if he gets the job but dear me it's a massive risk from Budge.

14 minutes ago, jambo_74 said:

Easy pal, no need for the condescension, I admit my error in respect of the role being separate from his directorship. However, he is also an elected member of the board, so getting rid of him entirely will require what I suggested.

No condescension clearly you missed that being a point made by a poster yesterday , therefore it touched a nerve. As was pointed out yesterday he was re-elected to the board in 2016 and 2018 so prob be next year he would be up for election again if things all remain as they are. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

If he was in charge of recruitment then he also got some mug to pay £250k for Craig Wighton 🤔.

Not sure if true, but I was told Wighton arriving was as a result of Dundee not stumping up for Hamilton. Probably shoit but might explain it.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

we would be better with Pressley

Worth it just to see how long he got. A day? Nah

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, jambo_74 said:

Sorry, my mistake. So he is not only the Manager, but he is also the Director of Football, and presumably he has separate contracts of employment for both positions? But moreover he is also a member of the board, the same board that ratifies the appointments of individuals to both the aforementioned positions which he currently holds. That's a significant amount of power for one individual to have.

The question is then, if he stands down from both his current salaried positions, would anyone care that he is still a member of the board of directors? Or should he resign his directorship as well?

He is only on one wage for both jobs, and that contract is up at the end of the season. I can’t see Ann sacking him so he will probably be here in some role until then. Surely his coaches contracts end then too, but I couldn’t confirm that. As a director he would have to excuse himself from any discussions about the future of the DoF and manager, what a ridiculous situation. He’s created a situation where he is football adviser to the board and controls every aspect of the football departments, he’s tried to make himself irreplaceable.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Not sure if true, but I was told Wighton arriving was as a result of Dundee not stumping up for Hamilton. Probably shoit but might explain it.

So we give them money to pay us back, never heard so much nonsense in my life. 

If he did well then great news but if he lost game or two he would be labeled a levein puppet whether he was or not.

Levein has to go for the sanity of many fans.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

So we give them money to pay us back, never heard so much nonsense in my life. 

Was more they couldn't cough up for Hamilton, so they offered him instead. Perhaps not so mad, took it with a pinch of salt myself. Anyway matters little. Both didn't cut the mustard

Geoff Kilpatrick
21 minutes ago, Paolo said:

I don’t think it was.  Levein made of, after we messed up with our main target - who’s name I forget. 

Matt Gilks

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Was more they couldn't cough up for Hamilton, so they offered him instead. Perhaps not so mad, took it with a pinch of salt myself. Anyway matters little. Both didn't cut the mustard

Indeed, they made around 150k profit on the deal though.

I honestly think there is zero in the McCann rumour.  Looking back through the depths of JKB the rumours seems to have started with Austin Macphee, then it led to an Austin McCann hair joke then Macphee and McCann started getting quoted together ... Chinese whispers so bad that the Chinese even think it's ridiculous.

McCann will get my full backing but I would really rather he isn't our next manager. Seems an odd choice.

Neilson, Cathro, Levein and McCann aren't the kind of appointments that are going to get you into Europa league group stages every year.

Really hope we push the boat out and appoint someone exciting from the continent.

15 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Odd appointment if it happens.

Much like a Cathro type move, but at least McCann talks sense in the media unlike Cathro's cryptic ramblings.

McCann would have my full support if he gets the job but dear me it's a massive risk from Budge.

I would offer him interim until end of the season . His analysis and tactical nous is particularly good . He had Dundee playing non hoof ball and they bombed him too quickly, worth a punt for me . 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Indeed, they made around 150k profit on the deal though.

Well, we'll find that out in a couple of months, when the red hot accounts are published

Pasquale for King

Whatever happens with Levein this is hugely important for Budge and her legacy, she’s done great things and a few mistakes but she has to get this next decision correct for the good of the club in the short term.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, E6 Inc said:

McCann will get my full backing but I would really rather he isn't our next manager. Seems an odd choice.

Neilson, Cathro, Levein and McCann aren't the kind of appointments that are going to get you into Europa league group stages every year.

Really hope we push the boat out and appoint someone exciting from the continent.

Definitely, with a progressive DoF too.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, E6 Inc said:

Albert Einstein said the definition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting a different result. I regret the error. However, this is where the fun begins.

25 minutes ago, sadj said:

No condescension clearly you missed that being a point made by a poster yesterday , therefore it touched a nerve. As was pointed out yesterday he was re-elected to the board in 2016 and 2018 so prob be next year he would be up for election again if things all remain as they are. 

I didn't read that yesterday, my apologies. Just thought it was a bit of a dig in respect of my lack of understanding with regards to his role as DoF :thumbsup:

We need a change at first team level, and we need it quickly. We also need someone that knows the club and the Scottish game.

We also don't want to disrupt things below first team level, where things are in a good place. 

The time for big change was summer, but that's gone. For me, McCann is a low risk appointment to the end of the season. I'm quietly confident we won't get relegated with the squad we have. A different voice and new ideas should get enough of a response from that group. 

I'm not excited by McCann, but I'd get behind him for the remainder of the season and hope the club would review everything in May. 

Doing it now allows Levein a chance to step out of the limelight and back into his DoF role at the Academy. He needs to be low profile for the foreseeable to be accepted. 

Edited by blairdin

Dusk_Till_Dawn

If this is true - and we’ll see - then you can only draw the conclusion that there’s been no application process, no attempt to seriously consider a broad range of options and no plan other than to hand it to another Hearts man who might well be happy to keep Levein on board.

If this is true, Budge has lost the plot.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, blairdin said:

We need a change at first team level, and we need it quickly. We also need someone that knows the club and the Scottish game.

We also don't want to disrupt things below first team level, where things are in a good place. 

The time for big change was summer, but that's gone. For me, McCann is a low risk appointment to the end of the season. I'm quietly confident we won't get relegated with the squad we have. A different voice and new ideas should get enough of a response from that group. 

I'm not excited by McCann, but I'd get behind him for the remainder of the season and hope the club would review everything in May. 

Doing it now allows Levein a chance to step out of the limelight and back into his DoF role at the Academy. He needs to be low profile for the foreseeable to be accepted. 

He won’t ever be accepted, he needs to leave the club.

1 minute ago, Whatever said:

Mayfield, Dalkeith.

But I take your point. 

Have we not just ruined his bet for him by revealing insider knowledge?  Oops! 

39 minutes ago, sadj said:

It is, it’s a two year stint he was elected into last December. 

3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

If this is true - and we’ll see - then you can only draw the conclusion that there’s been no application process, no attempt to seriously consider a broad range of options and no plan other than to hand it to another Hearts man who might well be happy to keep Levein on board.

If this is true, Budge has lost the plot.

All conjecture by you. For all we know she may have made several approaches in recent months. After all, Levein steps down as first team manager next summer so there should already be succession planning ongoing. Might just have to accelerate things if he goes before then. 

2 minutes ago, blairdin said:

I'm not excited by McCann, but I'd get behind him for the remainder of the season and review everything in May. 

This is also where I am at.  It also allows a degree of saving face for all parties. 

It may not though be enough for a lot of people who basically want everything back to a blank canvas.  I'm not personally sure if the clamour to get rid of CL may mean we remove some aspects of things that may in the longer term prove beneficial.  

The one person I am intrigued about is Gary Naysmith.  I can understand why we want to promote that role given we are trying to bring as many Academy "graduates" into the first team as possible.  However I wonder if there was some other reason for bringing him on board.  Before anyone asks, I have no knowledge of anything.

9 minutes ago, blairdin said:

We have 33 league games left and still have both cups to play for. Hardly temporary, unless we are writing off another season?

Just bumped into our new loans manager in Greggs Dalkeith . I asked the question regarding McCann he said “I know nothing about it with a wry smile”......he knew something just wasn’t letting on. That might have been a wry smile of “your a clown who’s read rumours and are way way off the mark” or “your spot on ya prick now just leave me to get my steak bake” 🤷🏻‍♂️

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, farin said:

Think we should all just forget about this McCann rumour. He had his chance at Dundee & failed, there’s no way we’re going to risk having him at the helm given we’re bottom of the league at present. This appointment would be the final straw for many.. 

We need a guy with a proven track record to get us out the shit that we’re in just now not another failed manager .

You could’ve said the same about Levein, I did. They say a manager isn’t one until he’s suffered the sack. There’s a few examples of guys failing at their first managerial job and going on to succeed. He wouldn’t be my choice either.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME said:

Would take Neil McCann, as an assistant with Robinson, head coach. Maybe have Austin Macphee, as DOF. 

Macphee as DoF is a good shout, Budge might go for that as she trusts him.

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Part of me wonders if AB just wants to get to the end of the season now. Then her and CL can ride off into the sunset together.

No doubt she would prefer not to sack him and at worst let him leave with dignity in the summer.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
28 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

All conjecture by you. For all we know she may have made several approaches in recent months. After all, Levein steps down as first team manager next summer so there should already be succession planning ongoing. Might just have to accelerate things if he goes before then. 

Give over mate. This whole ‘maybe it’s part of the grand plan’ thing has no credibility anymore.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, farin said:

Depends on your measurement of failure, leveins 2 tenures could be viewed as failures if we’re measuring it against actual trophies won etc.

McCann would be better getting more managerial experience & building his CV in the lower leagues before dipping his toe into the top tier again imho. 

His failures at Leicester and Scotland too, and that his only offer of a job was in Australia. He was a success first time around, a resounding failure second stint.

As for McCann I think his ego won’t let him take a lower league job to prove himself. 

I don’t  think it would placate most of the fans, especially if Levein is still there.

Edited by Pasquale for King

26 minutes ago, HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME said:

Would take Neil McCann, as an assistant with Robinson, head coach. Maybe have Austin Macphee, as DOF. 

McCann made it clear he wouldn’t be an assistant so unless something dramatic changes....

8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

His failures at Leicester and Scotland too, and that his only offer of a job was in Australia. He was a success first time around, a resounding failure second stint.

As for McCann I think his ego won’t let him take a lower league job to prove himself. 

I don’t  think it would placate most of the fans, especially if Levein is still there.

Jkb - McCann would be Leveins puppet

Also Jkb - McCanns ego would stop him being anything other than the main man. 

I love this place

Edited by sadj

A_A wehatethehibs

Neil McCann is an insane and bad shout

If Leveins plan is to hide back upstairs and hire Neil McCann, it is going to end in tears and will do nothing to quell the anger of the fans. In fact it will worsen.

Get Levein out and make sure he is removed entirely from the decision making process for a new Hearts manager. His judgement is gone 

13 hours ago, Serge Pizzorno said:

Going to stick my arm out here and say 100% untrue. 

I'm sure someone spewed this pish last season and at that time it was also a "done deal". 

However I shall await the fate of the current gaffer

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, sadj said:

McCann made it clear he wouldn’t be an assistant so unless something dramatic changes....

Jkb - McCann would be Leveins puppet

Also Jkb - McCanns ego would stop him being anything other than the main man. 

I love this place

You said he wouldn’t be an assistant, does that not indicate he  wouldn’t drop down a division and take a job ergo a big ego? 

Loved Terry when he was a player for us but we don't need or want another of the clubs 'experiments'.  We need a strong, established manager to take the 1st team forward and make sure our players turn up and perform to their undoubted potential week after week.

The excuses have not just worn thin, they have been punctured and torn asunder.  We want and demand a change of 1st team management!!!

Edited by Heartsofgold