Neil McCann

Inch Hearts

rudi must stay

Team would be McCann and Gary Naysmith I think. Ex team mates, know the club well

Leaves McPhee out in the cold, but he has a good job with Northern Ireland. Next in line for the top job you'd think

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• sadj

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with those who have said McCann talks intelligently about the game, is able to see what is needed etc, but I suspect where he failed at Dundee was in his man management skills.  I think he had a falling out with Scott Bain, and of course there's his well documented (at the time) spat with Tommy Wright.  In short, I think McCann can be quite hot headed at times and maybe would need to take a calmer attitude.

1 hour ago, Gnjambo16 said:

I would offer him interim until end of the season . His analysis and tactical nous is particularly good . He had Dundee playing non hoof ball and they bombed him too quickly, worth a punt for me . 

This is where I would stand too. Can't be any worse than we are now and he tried to get good football from a poor Dundee team. Who signed kamara for Dundee? Geuine question. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

Team would be McCann and Gary Naysmith I think. Ex team mates, know the club well

Leaves McPhee out in the cold, but he has a good job with Northern Ireland. Next in line for the top job you'd think

Doubt it he’s just a coach with them, Jimmy Nicholl is the assistant manager. 

Special Agent Dale Cooper

I could see McCann being appointed as a caretaker head coach until the end of the season.

This would allow the FOH-controlled board to appoint their preferred candidate, be that Neil or someone else, in the Summer.

I would be happy enough with that situation, should it come to pass.

2 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

I agree with those who have said McCann talks intelligently about the game, is able to see what is needed etc, but I suspect where he failed at Dundee was in his man management skills.  I think he had a falling out with Scott Bain, and of course there's his well documented (at the time) spat with Tommy Wright.  In short, I think McCann can be quite hot headed at times and maybe would need to take a calmer attitude.

Ruling with an iron fist does work for some managers, obviously Ferguson springs to mind where it worked, Souness not so much. I think much of the success or failure in respect of that militaristic, sergeant major style of management is dependant on having a solid dependable number two who will provide an arm around the shoulder and a word of encouragement to soften the blow dealt by the boss..

21 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Give over mate. This whole ‘maybe it’s part of the grand plan’ thing has no credibility anymore.

So what was/is the change plan for next summer? Even if we won the cup this year Levein wouldn’t continue. Do you not think that a sharp business person would already be working on the next steps given she knows her first team manager is leaving his post to go back upstairs in 9 months time? 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Falling out with one player and that arsehole Wright shouldn’t be held against him, much better managers do that all the time. Does anyone say Pep and Klopp should calm down?

There are moments to be calm and others when losing the heid is required.

Special Agent Dale Cooper
1 minute ago, hueyview said:

Is this confirmed, as i cant see mentioned elsewhere......

Nope, conjecture... one that's building momentum, but conjecture nonetheless.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

So what was/is the change plan for next summer? Even if we won the cup this year Levein wouldn’t continue. Do you not think that a sharp business person would already be working on the next steps given she knows her first team manager is leaving his post to go back upstairs in 9 months time? 

Where has it been stated that he will leave the managers job in the summer and go back upstairs, can you provide any proof whatsoever of that “plan”? Levein himself said it would be difficult to do that.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Where has it been stated that he will leave the managers job in the summer and go back upstairs, can you provide any proof whatsoever of that “plan”? Levein himself said it would be difficult to do that.

He wasn’t keen to do it in the first place, he has had a heart attack whilst in the job, he has lost a chunk of the support forever - do you really think he, or his family, will even countenance another contract as first team manager?  Do you think Budge wants him as DoF or first team manager when she hands over next year?  Some things are so obvious they don’t need to be stated. 

After the past 3 seasons it is incredible that fans are talking about how Levein or MacPhee could be part of any future setup at the club.  Both should be fired asap.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

He wasn’t keen to do it in the first place, he has had a heart attack whilst in the job, he has lost a chunk of the support forever - do you really think he, or his family, will even countenance another contract as first team manager?  Do you think Budge wants him as DoF or first team manager when she hands over next year?  Some things are so obvious they don’t need to be stated. 

So no proof whatsoever, thought so. 

If he doesn’t want to be manager why is he clinging on like a limpet when we are bottom of the league and the players are clearly not playing for him? Just go back to being DoF now if that’s the plan, why wait? 

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/premiership/craig-levein-says-he-unlikely-to-move-back-upstairs-if-he-fails-as-hearts-boss-1-4874238

21 minutes ago, sadj said:

Kirk down the line yes , bin Daly and Fox promote Kirk and find another coach McCann wants and it could work. McCann isn’t stupid , might not be people’s choice but he refused to come in under Levein so he’s not going to come in as a Levein puppet is he?

I'm fully behind getting rid of Daly and Fox.

If McCann came in, he would have my full support as would any manager that came in. I just don't think he has it. If he came in I'd love to be proven wrong obviously.

Neil McCann is one of my all time favourite Hearts players BUT he has absolutely no managerial pedigree so we would be taking an enormous punt. Why are we taking punts?! We are one of the biggest clubs in Scotland, where the hell is the ambition?

This utterly reeks of Levein appointing someone who would take the job in an instant in order that he keeps his DOF role.

And I agree with those who talk about how articulate and good a pundit McCann is - but so is Gary Neville and look how he did at Valencia...

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, loveofthegame said:

Neil McCann is one of my all time favourite Hearts players BUT he has absolutely no managerial pedigree so we would be taking an enormous punt. Why are we taking punts?! We are one of the biggest clubs in Scotland, where the hell is the ambition?

This utterly reeks of Levein appointing someone who would take the job in an instant in order that he keeps his DOF role.

And I agree with those who talk about how articulate and good a pundit McCann is - but so is Gary Neville and look how he did at Valencia...

Fair point 

52DC3F1F-D36D-4203-BB0C-339EF3C37BB8.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

So no proof whatsoever, thought so. 

If he doesn’t want to be manager why is he clinging on like a limpet when we are bottom of the league and the players are clearly not playing for him? Just go back to being DoF now if that’s the plan, why wait? 

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/premiership/craig-levein-says-he-unlikely-to-move-back-upstairs-if-he-fails-as-hearts-boss-1-4874238

Similarly you have no proof either. Getting a bit silly asking people for proof of their ‘views’ on a forum isn’t it?

And before you reply I don’t think anyone believes everything in a newspaper article is true or proof, especially the EEN or Scotsman 

Pasquale for King
Just now, soonbe110 said:

Similarly you have no proof either. Getting a bit silly asking people for proof of their ‘views’ on a forum isn’t it?

And before you reply I don’t think anyone believes everything in a newspaper article is true or proof, especially the EEN or Scotsman 

Especially when it’s a proven liar like Levein. You didn’t say it was your opinion you stated it like it was a fact. He should be removed from the club with immediate effect, yet you still defend him and want him to stay.

It takes a real man to accept he was wrong and admit it, do it you will feel better.

4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I believe direct quotes from CL, regardless of where they appear. Those are direct quotes.

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Especially when it’s a proven liar like Levein. You didn’t say it was your opinion you stated it like it was a fact. He should be removed from the club with immediate effect, yet you still defend him and want him to stay.

It takes a real man to accept he was wrong and admit it, do it you will feel better.

Wrong on virtually all counts 

1 minute ago, Boab said:

I believe direct quotes from CL, regardless of where they appear. Those are direct quotes.

Just like the direct quote that Naismith was ready to play three or four weeks ago? Just like the quote that Souter would be in contention for the Hamilton game? 

Really, there’s been lots of posts on here about the truthfulness of what Levein tells the media or lack of it. Some times he is just winding them up. You must have read them. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Just like the direct quote that Naismith was ready to play three or four weeks ago? Just like the quote that Souter would be in contention for the Hamilton game? 

Really, there’s been lots of posts on here about the truthfulness of what Levein tells the media or lack of it. Some times he is just winding them up. You must have read them. 

So he’s lying then 👍🏽

Think he could be a great appointment. 

Tried to get Dundee playing attractive football but the players at his disposal were not good enough. 

We have a talented squad(when injuries clear up a bit) so could do a job. 

Just now, soonbe110 said:

I wasn’t disagreeing with your earlier post.

If he isn’t telling the truth then that’s winding up the support as much as the press.

Lying basically.

I find it hard to believe he would lie to the support. If that’s what it is, then......!

👋

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Or winding people up or just sending them off on the wrong track. 

If anyone is on the wrong track it’s lying Levein.

Just now, Boab said:

I wasn’t disagreeing with your earlier post.

If he isn’t telling the truth then that’s winding up the support as much as the press.

Lying basically.

I find it hard to believe he would lie to the support. If that’s what it is, then......!

👋

So, when asked at a pre-match press conference you expect him to tell the fans, and the opposition manager, the exact and precise situation re injuries, form, illness etc? Just to avoid ‘lying’ to his own fans? 

Im happier with telling as little as possible and as much misinformation as possible. As fans we find out who is playing 60 mins before ko. 

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

So, when asked at a pre-match press conference you expect him to tell the fans, and the opposition manager, the exact and precise situation re injuries, form, illness etc? Just to avoid ‘lying’ to his own fans? 

Im happier with telling as little as possible and as much misinformation as possible. As fans we find out who is playing 60 mins before ko. 

Just us ?

Is it a private memo ?

You’re happy in the knowledge that he’s winding up people at press conferences, public events that the fans can decipher as misinformation ?

Wow ! 

11 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Think he could be a great appointment. 

Tried to get Dundee playing attractive football but the players at his disposal were not good enough. 

We have a talented squad(when injuries clear up a bit) so could do a job. 

I like him and wouldn’t mind him getting a chance. Though I have to say, it’s difficult to disagree with others arguing for the job to be advertised. Similarly, Robinson seems a switched on guy to me and could be a better option.

My main issue is that CL is likely to get involved if he’s DoF. His negative football is not something I want any new guy to take onboard.

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Boab said:

Just us ?

Is it a private memo ?

You’re happy in the knowledge that he’s winding up people at press conferences, public events that the fans can decipher as misinformation ?

Wow ! 

It would seem our manager is a master of sub diffuse who throws other managers off track with his cunning lies. They clearly don’t know what tactics he’s going to play no matter who fills the jerseys and he gets the better of them after bamboozling them with his slight of hand and we defeat them easily.

Just now, GinRummy said:

I like him and wouldn’t mind him getting a chance. Though I have to say, it’s difficult to disagree with others arguing for the job to be advertised. Similarly, Robinson seems a switched on guy to me and could be a better option.

My main issue is that CL is likely to get involved if he’s DoF. His negative football is not something I want any new guy to take onboard.

Which is why the DoF role needs to be transparently defined.  What the role and remit is.

See the DoF that just left Rangers, do you think he had a say over the style Gerrard wants them to play?

Why would the DoF at Hearts be the same?  Neilson and Cathro both said that they had full autonomy, so why wouldn't a new manager have that too?

I'm not arguing that CL should revert back to being DoF, but if he does (and as I've said previously, I think that offers some sort of "honorable"/face saving solution to Budge) then we deserve to know who is responsible for what. 

If this is happening can one of the ITK tell us when, to save me checking every half hour to see if Levein has gone.

Edited by jambopilms

1 minute ago, jambopilms said:

If this is happening can one of the ITK tell us when, to save me checking every half hour to see if Levein has gone.

No one here is itk. 

He was spoken to about joining our set up in the summer. I know that at least.

There might be something in it.

Seems like a pointless appointment if Levein is hanging around in the background as i don't see much changing.

He needs removing in all capacities if we're going to move on. 

Fresh start is needed and we can't do that with the dinosaur lurking around.

1 hour ago, Heartsofgold said:

Loved Terry when he was a player for us but we don't need or want another of the clubs 'experiments'.  We need a strong, established manager to take the 1st team forward and make sure our players turn up and perform to their undoubted potential week after week.

The excuses have not just worn thin, they have been punctured and torn asunder.  We want and demand a change of 1st team management!!!

why is called Terry?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

A smart business person would have dealt with this situation ages ago. A smart business person wouldn’t have met this fester for so long and wasted two years

6 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Seems like a pointless appointment if Levein is hanging around in the background as i don't see much changing.

It’s a fudge for sure. Unfortunately I doubt CL is going to leave the club altogether while AB is involved at least. I’m just hoping whoever comes in gets some degree of autonomy then at least it would be a step in the right direction. 

9 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

why is called Terry?

From the 1980's TV Program.  Dennis Watermans character was called Terry McCann.

24 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Yep but he didn’t want to come in as a coach under anyone else , Levein back upstairs and him in as HC could well be appealing to him. He’s around the club a lot. 

12 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

From the 1980's TV Program.  Dennis Watermans character was called Terry McCann.

Great - thanks!!

11 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Because he’s not Parky.

Helpful as usual - did you even know?