Austin interview........Next first team coach......?

Section Q

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• innerjambo

• Pasquale for King

• Boab

• Beast Boy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heart of Midlothian FC..............the only club in the world where coaches and Managers can boast about poor performances, very poor results, and find lots of positives. 

:gok:

Edited by innerjambo

29 minutes ago, GorgieRules22 said:

Austin Macphee was assistant to Isn Cathro and it was unsuccessful, he’s now assistant to Craig Levein and has been unsuccessful ..... why on earth would we make him manager ???

We need a complete change.... Levein,Macphee,Fox and Daly out !!!

Agree, HMFC, in my opinion need a complete change. 

Levein DoF, MacPhee head coach, Naismith player/assistant and Fox&Daly emptied. This will be the next set up, at least until the end of the season.

Edited by DarioHMFC

50 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

The guy has coached 600 games in one capacity or another. That is a lot of experience. What troubles me about footballers is how overawed they get by the EPL. Scottish teams used to show no respect and have a go against English teams, now they get overawed and only start to play once the tie is already lost...We did it ourselves against Liverpool and Spurs years ago, Scotland always do it against England at International level, and it sounds like the inferiority complex is still there.

Spurs, yes. Liverpool, not so sure I'd agree. We did lose the first leg but until about the 182nd minute, that tie was still very much in the balance.

I noticed that comment about EPL players next to Smith, Norwich being held up as the standard...

18 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Mr Clipboard and pen. 😏

I think he's progressed to tablet now, to oversee all of the draws and losses. Now that's technology and progress for you!!

I know there are differences of opinion on who plays and how they set up for games between him and Levein. What I don’t know is, what is McPhee’s style?  Is he the defensive set-up. Over-analyse (particularity crap) opposition and set up to frustrate them rather than saying play our game. We have the better squad. Let them worry about us. 

If it’s the latter, I would give him a go.  If he is the cautious one, not for me. 

2 minutes ago, Sid said:

I know there are differences of opinion on who plays and how they set up for games between him and Levein. What I don’t know is, what is McPhee’s style?  Is he the defensive set-up. Over-analyse (particularity crap) opposition and set up to frustrate them rather than saying play our game. We have the better squad. Let them worry about us. 

If it’s the latter, I would give him a go.  If he is the cautious one, not for me. 

Tbh think they are both negative and far too cautious against the likes of Hamilton and Ross County at Tynie. ☹️

2 minutes ago, Sid said:

I don't think it's the latter tbf. More cautionary, and analysing the opposition is the order of the day with McPhee.

11 minutes ago, DarioHMFC said:

Levein DoF, MacPhee head coach, Naismith player/assistant and Fox&Daly emptied. This will be the next set up, at least until the end of the season.

Guess work ? 

5 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

I don't think it's the latter tbf. More cautionary, and analysing the opposition is the order of the day with McPhee.

Probably a no from me then but may stop our entry to Japanese Market! 

1 hour ago, Mysterion said:

Wants the job.

His apprenticeship as assistant is wide and varied. Any other candidate coming to us with a league cup win (St Mirren), World Cup experience (NI), part of a FIFA mentorship program and a network of contacts (in part through football and his business) would be looked at positively.

On kickback - some will only see negatives.

You've missed out his "achievements" at Hearts.

Has played an integral role in us finishing 5th, 6th, and 6th in the past three seasons and in our current position joint bottom of the table.

8 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Like a few others I most certainly do not want him as our next head coach. He has been part of the backroom team that has seen the first team underperform for over 3 seasons. You don’t promote someone who is part of a failing management team.

I think he is part of the reason we are so shite at the moment. 

I don’t get why people think he will be a good head coach. There isn’t a lot of demonstrable evidence he is a good coach at this level. 

His famed analysis doesn’t seem to have Resulted in positive results or performances for us. Tactically we seem unable to change anything or adapt to changes, despite his iPad and his pointing and shouting. I understand he is largely responsible for deciding on player recruitment, and that has been piss poor imo. The players don’t seem all that confident, motivated or even setup that well.

Now I’m not laying the blame for all of the above at his door. Just saying he’s part of the coaching  teams that have continually failed. I’m just questioning where the belief comes from he’s a good coach. 

I just don’t see it, being a nice guy doesn’t make you good at your job.

Absolutely this!!

1 minute ago, Cut The Crap said:

You've missed out his "achievements" at Hearts.

Has played an integral role in us finishing 5th, 6th, and 6th in the past three seasons and in our current position joint bottom of the table.

Oh dear, you mustn't point that out. Quite a few on here think our performances and results are irrelevant. I mean, look at all the positives we can list.....

1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

I actually think he has a lot of influence already

You could be right actually. Always felt that the 2 together would be a good duo. McPhee being giving full control for the games we are expected to win, and Levein taking back control for the derbies etc.

Pasquale for King
22 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Like a few others I most certainly do not want him as our next head coach. He has been part of the backroom team that has seen the first team underperform for over 3 seasons. You don’t promote someone who is part of a failing management team.

I don’t get why people think he will be a good head coach. There isn’t a lot of demonstrable evidence he is a good coach at this level. 

His famed analysis doesn’t seem to have Resulted in positive results or performances for us. Tactically we seem unable to change anything or adapt to changes, despite his iPad and his pointing and shouting. I understand he is largely responsible for deciding on player recruitment, and that has been piss poor imo. The players don’t seem all that confident, motivated or even setup that well.

Now I’m not laying the blame for all of the above at his door. Just saying he’s part of the coaching  teams that have continually failed. I’m just questioning where the belief comes from he’s a good coach. 

Fair enough. You can see why his CV and the way he eloquently talks about the game makes him look better than the actual evidence of his work.

Budge may well give him the DoF job if Levein is removed from that position too.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Locky said:

You could be right actually. Always felt that the 2 together would be a good duo. McPhee being giving full control for the games we are expected to win, and Levein taking back control for the derbies etc.

His current record in derbies is won 3, lost 3, drawn 3. Not great is it. Would you want him to be in charge of OF games too with two wins in about 18 games?

If we gave him the reigns as head coach you'd expect to see some tangeable changes in terms of how we set up and our results for it to be worthwhile. If he has an influence on how we set up currently would there be much change though? And if he was to ultimately fail we could be losing a strong asset from the club because inevitably we'd then be asking for him to be removed as head coach. I think he is the ideal no2 but we need a head coach in that can turn things around (assuming we are to make that change of course).

7 minutes ago, Locky said:

You mean just like the current duo of Levein and McPhee?  Wow, that would be awesome. Imagine how we would rocket up the table in an instant

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

His current record in derbies is won 3, lost 3, drawn 3. Not great is it. Would you want him to be in charge of OF games too with two wins in about 18 games?

He ended a run of not winning at Easter Road that had stretched back for about six years did he not?

21 minutes ago, Haken said:

He's the 'hippy', right?  Cause he's got - wait for it - long hair.  Just like a girl.

:qqb006:

Yes, I prefer the fat ruddy-faced skinhead look myself. A sign of a real man. 

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

He ended a run of not winning at Easter Road that had stretched back for about six years did he not?

He ended a run of not losing to Hibs at Tynecastle for about six years did he not?

Edited by Pasquale for King

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He ended a run of not losing to Hibs at Tynecastle did he not?

Think so. The lord giveth - and the lord taketh away. :( 

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

7 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Success has been thin on the ground though. Why use one result to defend him?

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Success has been thin on the ground though. Why use one result to defend him?

Indeed, but what else is there? Two wins against Celtic and a fluke cup run? Don’t forget the multitude of excuses too, the newest being the defence like it’s nothing to do with him that they’re leaking goals 🤷🏾‍♂️.

Edited by Pasquale for King

HillmanHearts

Seems a hard working, intelligent and thoughtful guy.

No evidence to suggest he has the guts, passion or drive for the top job.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

He'll get maybe the first 5 minutes before he is slaughtered. 

Can't be him,  but yet quite likely 

12 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Are these talks and interviews being conducted from a bunker somewhere in Berlin?

Yes, apparently there are Hearts fans outside wielding pitchforks, and calling him a Levein clone.

I don't believe a word of it tbf.

If CL returned to DOF and AM was manager and nothing changed this place would burst into flames.

Id like to know how much responsibility Austin has for our current malaise to be honest 

1 hour ago, Coco said:

He should be fired with Levein, Daly and Fox.  We have been shocking since he came to the club

Surely if Levein is the dictator that the disgruntled posters say he is, then you do not throw the baby out with the bathwater? If Levein is so dominating then surely just axing him would allow the coaches below him to shine, and Hearts do not incur the upset and cost of sacking every coach at the club? 

Are people not having their cake and eating it, by blaming both Levein for being an "arrogant, power-crazed, out of date, domineering svengali" and tarring all the other coaches with the same brush?

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

He gets such an easy ride. All the negativity surrounds Levein while Austin Mcfluff always seems to go under the radar.

How many times does an assistant coach get a hard time ?

Not many........

2 hours ago, Boab said:

Maybe not negatives, but a difference of opinion ?

Ian Cathro came here with a CV including Portugal, Spain and England...and with decent sized clubs.

Sorry, i’m not convinced.

If it is true that CL only takes the squad for two days,  then MacPhee, Daly et al, are are culpable as him for where we are right now. 

Club needs a new direction and, for me, it doesn’t include any of them.

I'm not sure that's as relevant as you'd think. First few days of training we don't focus on shape and tactics so much.  That's when Levein comes in and they work on the line up and tactics for the upcoming game.

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

Surely if Levein is the dictator that the disgruntled posters say he is, then you do not throw the baby out with the bathwater? If Levein is so dominating then surely just axing him would allow the coaches below him to shine, and Hearts do not incur the upset and cost of sacking every coach at the club? 

Are people not having their cake and eating it, by blaming both Levein for being an "arrogant, power-crazed, out of date, domineering svengali" and tarring all the other coaches with the same brush?

I don’t think CL is a dictator, nor a power-crazed Svengali.

The coaching system never worked under Cathro and is not working now.

It’s broke. It needs fixed. In simple terms, a new system. New manager from outwith the system that isn’t working.

6 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

What makes you think McPhee has different ideas, and that our style of play and confidence would improve?

Gordon Ramsay
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Strikes me as one of these guys whose great at interviews and talking himself up but when it comes to actually doing the job he's employed to do he's not got a clue. 

Needs a haircut too. 

Just now, Koolkeith said:

I'm not sure that's as relevant as you'd think. First few days of training we don't focus on shape and tactics so much.  That's when Levein comes in and they work on the line up and tactics for the upcoming game.

That’s not what is being said further up the thread. 

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

He gets such an easy ride. All the negativity surrounds Levein while Austin Mcfluff always seems to go under the radar.

:2thumbsup:

The Real Maroonblood
36 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Are these talks and interviews being conducted from a bunker somewhere in Berlin?

That made me smile.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Strikes me as one of these guys whose great at interviews and talking himself up but when it comes to actually doing the job he's employed to do he's not got a clue. 

Needs a haircut too. 

A bit like an MP.

9 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

What makes you think McPhee has different ideas, and that our style of play and confidence would improve?

Did I say any of that???????????????

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not great, not bad either. 2 of those 3 were in 17/18, when Hibs were flying under Lennon and we were fragile. Since then we've lost 1 of 6.

59 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

You mean just like the current duo of Levein and McPhee?  Wow, that would be awesome. Imagine how we would rocket up the table in an instant

Is that really how it works though? If so, surely McPhee is as much to blame as Levein?

Would be amazed if he is kept on in the event Levein goes soon. Can also see Ann Budge giving CL quite a while to turn things around before taking any action. Will no doubt be proved wrong on both accounts shortly!