Austin interview........Next first team coach......?

Section Q

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• innerjambo

• Pasquale for King

• Boab

• Beast Boy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Decent interview, honest and open...

This is JKB though so in a few short pages, he'll have stabbed Levein in the back, given the Captains armband to Michael Smith, moved to Wolves and harpooned a few Dragons. 

I would happily take Austin as our manager but he would need a bit more of an experienced head as his number 2. Levein back to DoF as I feel he is quite suited to that role and it leaves the coaching staff to focus on the team. 

6 minutes ago, h-e-a-r-t-s said:

Lining him up for a smooth transition in the next 4 weeks imo

It's sad times when that's a Hearts supporters first thought apon reading that article. 

It was mine too :(

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, h-e-a-r-t-s said:

Lining him up for a smooth transition in the next 4 weeks imo

Sad but you might be right.

30 minutes ago, Morlich said:

Deffo raising his profile a bit...

Is he planning to jump ship, or does he fancy the top job?

Wants the job.

His apprenticeship as assistant is wide and varied. Any other candidate coming to us with a league cup win (St Mirren), World Cup experience (NI), part of a FIFA mentorship program and a network of contacts (in part through football and his business) would be looked at positively.

On kickback - some will only see negatives.

Captain Lithuania

I’d definitely have him as our manager, as in the main man in control. Going by the replies here a few others would as well. 

Would be an interesting poll for once. 

I've no idea why we aren't letting him have a little bit more influence, akin to Walter Smith and Ally McCoist at Rangers.

Levein is still the head coach at the end of the day, but some fresh ideas from Austin might be what we need.

Would Macphee actually be the change we need though? 

Considering he's been involved in failure since he got here? 

It would be silly not to think that he has had a strong influence on the way we play. 

28 minutes ago, bazman said:

I would happily take Austin as our manager but he would need a bit more of an experienced head as his number 2. Levein back to DoF as I feel he is quite suited to that role and it leaves the coaching staff to focus on the team. 

I dont disagree. He'd be under huge pressure to get results and show a playing style instantly, moreso than a "new" manager. Otherwise it'd be seen as too safe and same old same old.

Agree re experienced no 2. Whats Jimmy Nichol up to other than N Ireland? Just checked, Asst at Dundee... would be a possibility

2 minutes ago, Sagan said:

Would Macphee actually be the change we need though? 

Considering he's been involved in failure since he got here? 

It would be silly not to think that he has had a strong influence on the way we play. 

I think one of the failures is true leadership at present. Levein isnt involved hands on enough but hes the boss.

Perhaps taking that convolution out lets Austin just run with it. Duno!! Maybe.

11 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Wants the job.

His apprenticeship as assistant is wide and varied. Any other candidate coming to us with a league cup win (St Mirren), World Cup experience (NI), part of a FIFA mentorship program and a network of contacts (in part through football and his business) would be looked at positively.

Maybe not negatives, but a difference of opinion ?

Ian Cathro came here with a CV including Portugal, Spain and England...and with decent sized clubs.

Sorry, i’m not convinced.

If it is true that CL only takes the squad for two days,  then MacPhee, Daly et al, are are culpable as him for where we are right now. 

Club needs a new direction and, for me, it doesn’t include any of them.

6 minutes ago, Locky said:

I've no idea why we aren't letting him have a little bit more influence, akin to Walter Smith and Ally McCoist at Rangers.

Levein is still the head coach at the end of the day, but some fresh ideas from Austin might be what we need.

I actually think he has a lot of influence already

He's more suited to a management role than Robbie was when he got the job. And he survived the Cathro era without disgracing himself. I remember sitting next to him in the old stand when he was on a spying mission with Danny Lennon just before the LC final with St Mirren wondering who he was. As the article says he has quite a bit of experience working with established people. However the step up is always a challenge. Just thinking about Brian Kidd and a few others.

Would take a punt on him though, if it meant Levein leaving.

Too risky making him boss. Levein, his brand of football and all first team coaches need to go and a new manager with a fresh approach brought in.

Craig and staff didn't get the best out of the players last season and it's heading the same way this year. 

3 minutes ago, Boab said:

Ian Cathro came here with a CV including Portugal, Spain and England...and with decent sized clubs.

If it is true that CL only takes the squad for two days,  then MacPhee, Daly et al, are are culpable as him for where we are right now. 

I cannot understand why we would consider MacPhee as a replacement. It has been said he is the analyst who prepares our team selection, depending upon our opponents. - If this is the case, then he is part of the problem - not the solution!!

45 minutes ago, bazman said:

The guy has coached 600 games in one capacity or another. That is a lot of experience. What troubles me about footballers is how overawed they get by the EPL. Scottish teams used to show no respect and have a go against English teams, now they get overawed and only start to play once the tie is already lost...We did it ourselves against Liverpool and Spurs years ago, Scotland always do it against England at International level, and it sounds like the inferiority complex is still there.

12 minutes ago, Boab said:

Last month I was informed on here, that this is no longer the case and was 3 year old practice.

1 minute ago, busby1985 said:

DoF maybe but head coach, not for me. 

I'd be happy in either. He's been at the club a few years now.

10 minutes ago, Barack said:

Give him the DoF role if they must.

Coach...no.

Not for me either. On the ground I’d rather see a new team, new voices, new direction. 

I think Austin may make a very good DOF given the alleged influence in attracting players but I feel if the pack is shuffled he’ll move on to something else. 

Sounds like he wants to stay involved at team level. 

GorgieRules22

Austin Macphee was assistant to Isn Cathro and it was unsuccessful, he’s now assistant to Craig Levein and has been unsuccessful ..... why on earth would we make him manager ???

We need a complete change.... Levein,Macphee,Fox and Daly out !!!

13 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Last month I was informed on here, that this is no longer the case and was 3 year old practice.

News to me but if that is the case, i’m still not convinced.

A re-shuffle would not help things I fear.

that article makes it sound like he's there for his opinion when required and asked for, I get the feeling he is working under levein's mandate there for he is not doing things as he would as his own person but to the best of his ability writhing the restrictions his superior has put on him. the way he speaks makes me feel like things would be markedly different if he was given full control.

Could it be he knows that Craig is on his way and he's touting himself for elsewhere,I would be stunned if Craig went and Austin to over . Can't see that happening . 

letsmakesomenoise

He stayed at Hearts last season for one reason only .... he's been told he's next in line for the top job.  I think that day is fast coming.

Not for me though, he may have all this collateral knowledge but has no real experience of leading a team.  

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Levein could be his assistant.

Yep, just imagine how different our style of play would be. Maybe we could get Cathro back too, as a consultant?

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, Coco said:

He should be fired with Levein, Daly and Fox.  We have been shocking since he came to the club

This saga is turning into our own soap opera.

15 minutes ago, letsmakesomenoise said:

He stayed at Hearts last season for one reason only .... he's been told he's next in line for the top job.  I think that day is fast coming.

Not for me though, he may have all this collateral knowledge but has no real experience of leading a team.  

Mr Clipboard and pen. 😏

We_are_the_Hearts
5 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

This saga is turning into our own soap opera.

Exactly. Why not MacPhee and Shelley Kerr, nice little family club that we are. 

1 hour ago, Mysterion said:

Wants the job.

:spoton:

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Austin McPhee explains how he assisted Craig Levein in getting us to the bottom of the league. What planet, seriously ffs!!

:cornette:

But his journey has led him to the top, of what 🤷🏾‍♂️????