Austin interview........Next first team coach......?

Section Q

I’ve said for weeks Austin will get promoted to head coach with Levein moving back upstairs due to “health reasons” - in short nothing will change and Levein will continue to have his clammy hand on our Club!

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• innerjambo

• Pasquale for King

• Boab

• Beast Boy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I’ve said for weeks Austin will get promoted to head coach with Levein moving back upstairs due to “health reasons” - in short nothing will change and Levein will continue to have his clammy hand on our Club!

Not to mention his grubby mitts

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

What a thought. 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Locky said:

Not great, not bad either. 2 of those 3 were in 17/18, when Hibs were flying under Lennon and we were fragile. Since then we've lost 1 of 6.

Is that really how it works though? If so, surely McPhee is as much to blame as Levein?

2 in 5, last derby at Easter Road 2017-18 & last derby at Tynecastle in 2018-19. Average, just like his record season after season points/placing/WLD/goals for&against.

Pasquale for King
23 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

That could well be the solution that Ann thinks will placate everyone, it won’t.

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

That could well be the solution that Ann thinks will placate everyone, it won’t.

It’s the easy way out for her........or so she thinks!

2 hours ago, Jocam2325 said:

Why. Genuine question

Because he has been involved with 2 disastrous managers and his coaching has failed miserably.

SectionDJambo

Being as assistant coach, rather than the main guy, is a specific talent, and it doesn’t always follow that being the head coach is a natural progression.

There have been plenty examples of assistant coaches who couldn’t do the top job, and there is no disgrace in that.

Jim Jefferies had Billy Brown supporting him during a pretty good time for us, but didn’t make the step up successfully.

One of the best examples of a great assistant who couldn’t do the job himself was Peter Taylor, Brian Clough’s right hand man. The 2 of them were terrific together, and it was sad to see them fall out as they did with the result that both then failed.

You couldn’t see JJ being someone’s assistant either. Not his style of management.

I would prefer we kept Austin MacPhee in his current role, which is a prominent position to be in, without risking things going wrong by thrusting him into a job he may not quite be able to do, and we lose him altogether. 

He must have some talent to have made the connections he has. It could very well be that he isn’t the problem with our coaching structure. Their are others in there who should be assessed in that respect long before him.

Sometimes we don’t appreciate what we have until it’s gone. No harm in appointing a good, experienced manager to work with MacPhee.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

Being as assistant coach, rather than the main guy, is a specific talent, and it doesn’t always follow that being the head coach is a natural progression.

There have been plenty examples of assistant coaches who couldn’t do the top job, and there is no disgrace in that.

Jim Jefferies had Billy Brown supporting him during a pretty good time for us, but didn’t make the step up successfully.

One of the best examples of a great assistant who couldn’t do the job himself was Peter Taylor, Brian Clough’s right hand man. The 2 of them were terrific together, and it was sad to see them fall out as they did with the result that both then failed.

You couldn’t see JJ being someone’s assistant either. Not his style of management.

I would prefer we kept Austin MacPhee in his current role, which is a prominent position to be in, without risking things going wrong by thrusting him into a job he may not quite be able to do, and we lose him altogether. 

He must have some talent to have made the connections he has. It could very well be that he isn’t the problem with our coaching structure. Their are others in there who should be assessed in that respect long before him.

Sometimes we don’t appreciate what we have until it’s gone. No harm in appointing a good, experienced manager to work with MacPhee.

It’s already went wrong though hasn’t it? Making contacts is completely different from being an able coach or manager.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, tolcross lad said:

Penny for the  thoughts of Daly ?

About all he’s worth, have you noticed any improvement in any of the strikers he has coached in the last few years? 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Budge is on record saying she didn’t want to go for another inexperienced head coach. He may get a chance as caretaker but I’d be surprised if they go for another Cathro type so soon after the actual Cathro.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Budge is on record saying she didn’t want to go for another inexperienced head coach. He may get a chance as caretaker but I’d be surprised if they go for another Cathro type so soon after the actual Cathro.

Yeah caretaker until Xmas, plenty time for a new DoF to sort out a new HC if necessary.

8 hours ago, Boab said:

Maybe not negatives, but a difference of opinion ?

Ian Cathro came here with a CV including Portugal, Spain and England...and with decent sized clubs.

Sorry, i’m not convinced.

If it is true that CL only takes the squad for two days,  then MacPhee, Daly et al, are are culpable as him for where we are right now

Club needs a new direction and, for me, it doesn’t include any of them.

This.  What is AM doing right now.  What was he doing when Cathro was here screwing things up.

Mr Teflon.

5 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

Going by JKB these days, negativity breeds negativity.  I shall return under my boulder until something good occurs.

:sadrobbo:

I wish I could bring myself to have a break from it, but there's **** all else to do in work sadly.

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

2 in 5, last derby at Easter Road 2017-18 & last derby at Tynecastle in 2018-19. Average, just like his record season after season points/placing/WLD/goals for&against.

2017/18 - LDWLW

2018/19 - DWLD

4 hours ago, Section Q said:

It was an answer to your post about MacPhee having achieved nothing. For the record Levein has won nothing as a coach do date.

Ah I read you incorrectly 👍

Guest ToqueJambo
39 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah caretaker until Xmas, plenty time for a new DoF to sort out a new HC if necessary.

I very much doubt Levein will leave as DoF, especially during this season, but I think everyone including him accepts he'll be out as head coach end this season, if not before if things don't improve. So the Levein ooters can take comfort in having a new head coach but also still having someone at the club to hate. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Locky said:

I wish I could bring myself to have a break from it, but there's **** all else to do in work sadly.

2017/18 - LDWLW

2018/19 - DWLD

2 losses in 6 then, not 1 in 6 as you said. Bang average, as I said.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
51 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I very much doubt Levein will leave as DoF, especially during this season, but I think everyone including him accepts he'll be out as head coach end this season, if not before if things don't improve. So the Levein ooters can take comfort in having a new head coach but also still having someone at the club to hate. 

I’d rather he left altogether,  he will be accused of interfering if he stays.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Yoda said:

This.  What is AM doing right now.  What was he doing when Cathro was here screwing things up.

Mr Teflon.

Scottish footballs 2nd safest job it is.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’d rather he left altogether,  he will be accused of interfering if he stays.

Only be people who don't understand what a DoF does.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I think some people love him because it keeps a notion alive that Michael O'Neill will become manager. Since that's not happening, we don't need to keep him unless we need to employ a translator.

There's something going on here.

A while ago in one of her statements AB referred to ( I think) some unhappiness with Cl's organisation methods.

The EN article about Austin MacPhee looks like PR for him ahead of changes in the management structure.

If there' anyone out there thinks AB doesn't know what's going on then they need to think again, she will be as hard as nails when it comes to doing what's necessary. I was drinking with some (relatively) successful business people tonight and they were both referring to the mistakes they'd made and how they had reacted to them, both admitted to making plenty. One of them said that if he got 2 decisions right against 1 wrong then he is successful. but if it's less than 50/50 then he's in trouble.

AB didn't get to be a multi millionaire for no reason.

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

What a silly comment!

13 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

A while ago in one of her statements AB referred to ( I think) some unhappiness with Cl's organisation methods.

The EN article about Austin MacPhee looks like PR for him ahead of changes in the management structure.

If there' anyone out there thinks AB doesn't know what's going on then they need to think again, she will be as hard as nails when it comes to doing what's necessary. I was drinking with some (relatively) successful business people tonight and they were both referring to the mistakes they'd made and how they had reacted to them, both admitted to making plenty. One of them said that if he got 2 decisions right against 1 wrong then he is successful. but if it's less than 50/50 then he's in trouble.

Don’t know what business your pals are in but making a mistake once every 3 decisions is not a good strike rate for any successful business.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Only be people who don't understand what a DoF does.

I don’t know if that was aimed at me, a DoF has to interfere to an extent in what happens with the first team. Pre-season training, signing players, extending contracts to name a few. What they don’t usually do is interfere in tactics and send down messages from the Stand, only people who can’t help themselves (Leveins words) do that. We will struggle to get a decent HC/manager to work under him. He said himself it would be difficult for him to go back to being DoF.

Pasquale for King
52 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

She ran a successful business, so did Vlad/Mercer/Pieman. Running the business side has been a success, few problems with the Stand aside, running the football side of things is completely different and quite a few owners **** it right up.

12 hours ago, Coco said:

He should be fired with Levein, Daly and Fox.  We have been shocking since he came to the club

Not much more needs to be said. If we want to appoint a new manager whose association with the club spans a period of abject failure and miserable football, the world is an even crazier place than I thought.

What’s Cathro doing?

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I think some people love him because it keeps a notion alive that Michael O'Neill will become manager. Since that's not happening, we don't need to keep him unless we need to employ a translator.

He wound be an expensive translator, I’m sure City will hire an English teacher who can also obviously translate until he learns the language.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Michael O'Neill becoming Hearts manager after he's done with NI or they're done with him is a very realistic prospect.

Geoff Kilpatrick
8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Michael O'Neill becoming Hearts manager after he's done with NI or they're done with him is a very realistic prospect.

:rofl:

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

:rofl:

Eh? If he wants to be a club manager at a good sized club, which he probably will, and has made his money, which he probably has, and lives in Edinburgh, which he does, and admires the club, which he does, we'll be on his radar. 

Bazzas right boot
14 hours ago, Sagan said:

The job advertisement will read as follows.. 

Must speak fluent Japanese. 

If they're clever, they'll advertise that part in Japanese. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, leginten said:

Not much more needs to be said. If we want to appoint a new manager whose association with the club spans a period of abject failure and miserable football, the world is an even crazier place than I thought.

What’s Cathro doing?

Working with a top coach at an EPL side. 

annushorribilis III
1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

Pretty commonsense stuff but the criticisms on here are broadly not about mistakes being made but the time it is taking to acknowledge this and correct it.  The millionaire reference is irrelevant - AB has been successful in her field but this is not her field of excellence and that is the problem.  Two years after ripping up the head coach model to appoint the DoF as a manager the club is still failing on the pitch and shows little sign of progress. But she's reviewing the football department "now", apparently. 

As for McPhee. I have nothing against him , I don't have a view on his possible appointment (or not) as the next head coach/manager but I am amazed that some people think he might be a suitable candidate when he wasn't able to take over , even on a temp basis, when Cathro was sacked. Given what's  transpired over the last two years I'd suggest a clean sweep is in order.  McPhee might be great in his NI role but none of the current coaching staff have demonstrated any on field results to justify their retention. 

No thanks.  If we are concluding there Cathro failed, and Levein failed, then given he had partnered both, he has too. 

Edited by Paolo

8 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

You got that information from where if you don’t mind me asking?

Hunches are no good unless you’re Quasimodo.

Francis Albert

McPhee? I don't care how many great positions he and his laptop have occupied but please no.

An experienced manager with his own ideas who can decide who if any of the coaching staff should stay please.. 

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

McPhee? I don't care how many great positions he and his laptop have occupied but please no.

An experienced manager with his own ideas who can decide who if any of the coaching staff should stay please.. 

Trouble is experienced managers who are available have invariably f****d it up elsewhere.

8 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Eh? If he wants to be a club manager at a good sized club, which he probably will, and has made his money, which he probably has, and lives in Edinburgh, which he does, and admires the club, which he does, we'll be on his radar. 

You do realise hes had job offered before and during NI from much bigger clubs?  You’re delusional. 

24 minutes ago, sac said:

You got that information from where if you don’t mind me asking?

Hunches are no good unless you’re Quasimodo.

Ill informed guess because he’s at the Oriam a lot.  O’Neil will be managing down South after Ireland. 

18 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

McPhee will not be our next head coach. Fact.

That's the feeling I get.Mr.teflon will just move about the club.

Edited by ford donald
spelling

On 05/09/2019 at 09:20, Arnaud Djoum said:

I’d definitely have him as our manager, as in the main man in control. Going by the replies here a few others would as well. 

Would be an interesting poll for once. 

What a ridiculous post.

I can't believe you want a guy who has been instrumental in our downfall.

On 05/09/2019 at 23:34, ToqueJambo said:

Would be a great choice but it would only happen if Levein left the club. Also, he's on 600k at NI which would be a huge stumbling block.