Austin interview........Next first team coach......?

Section Q

Adam_the_legend
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Said before and I will say again, I reckon McPhee would make a good director of football.

Why? By all accounts he’s failed as a coach at Hearts, what makes you think he could perform a role as dof?

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• innerjambo

• Pasquale for King

• Boab

• Beast Boy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jamboinglasgow
4 hours ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Why? By all accounts he’s failed as a coach at Hearts, what makes you think he could perform a role as dof?

Well he was wanted by the SFA before joining Hearts in a similar role (performance director,) he has demonstrated from his past that he can run and set direction of academy (set up AM Soccer Club,) he has been key to recruitment of quite a few players, has contacts in quite a few countries which can help in player and staff recruitment, has experience of football over a number of countries. Has experience of coaching, management, player and team analysis. So there is a number of reasons why director of football may suit him well and may be a better use of his ability at Hearts than coach.

Coburg Hearts
5 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Well he was wanted by the SFA before joining Hearts in a similar role (performance director,) he has demonstrated from his past that he can run and set direction of academy (set up AM Soccer Club,) he has been key to recruitment of quite a few players, has contacts in quite a few countries which can help in player and staff recruitment, has experience of football over a number of countries. Has experience of coaching, management, player and team analysis. So there is a number of reasons why director of football may suit him well and may be a better use of his ability at Hearts than coach.

Very good points, JiG, and I agree he could be a good DoF in the making.

20 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Said before and I will say again, I reckon McPhee would make a good director of football.

I actually agree. The guy clearly has excellent analysis, clearly has the sort of business sense you need to be a DOF, and I think would rather be a part of building something than jumping about club after club achieving hee haw.

I'd give it to him when Levein steps down. He's probably best placed of anyone in the club to fix whats going wrong.

avhudtheteeshirt
6 hours ago, OTT said:

I actually agree. The guy clearly has excellent analysis, clearly has the sort of business sense you need to be a DOF, and I think would rather be a part of building something than jumping about club after club achieving hee haw.

I'd give it to him when Levein steps down. He's probably best placed of anyone in the club to fix whats going wrong.

Is that not the Hearts model? To promote from within the club?

Its ok to bring in a new manager from outside the club, but he will want to change everything to suit his ways!

The Hearts model protects the internal workings of the club, and hopefully saves time in getting up to speed with how the club works!!!

The Hearts model currently has us playing shit, and sitting joint bottom of the table. And we have some absolute cretins on here promoting this garbage. You would be forgiven for thinking they are actual enemies of the club.

20 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I have been fortunate enough to meet Henry McLeish several times through work & he has been nothing but praiseworthy of McPhee & always said that he was gutted that McPhee chose Hearts instead of taking up the role with Scotland.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
47 minutes ago, sac said:

I have been fortunate enough to meet Henry McLeish several times through work & he has been nothing but praiseworthy of McPhee & always said that he was gutted that McPhee chose Hearts instead of taking up the role with Scotland.

The SFA’s opinion of anything means Sweet FA. If he was wanted by them then he’s probably shite.

all we have to go on is the total lack of impact he’s had under Cathro and a Levein. Looks like an imposter to me.

4 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The SFA’s opinion of anything means Sweet FA. If he was wanted by them then he’s probably shite.

all we have to go on is the total lack of impact he’s had under Cathro and a Levein. Looks like an imposter to me.

How long did it take Steve Clark to become a manager?

16 minutes ago, sac said:

How long did it take Steve Clark to become a manager?

I think Clarke had been an assistant at clubs that had been successful.  I think some are apprehensive about giving McPhee another role at the club like DOF until he has had some success.

He hasn't shown that with us yet.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

I think Clarke had been an assistant at clubs that had been successful.  I think some are apprehensive about giving McPhee another role at the club like DOF until he has had some success.

He hasn't shown that with us yet.

There’s a bizarre train of thought on here that despite our severe lack of progress, Levein is doing fine and someone like McPhee somehow deserves a promotion :rofl:

Toxteth O'Grady
On 07/09/2019 at 16:06, jamboinglasgow said:

Since he arrived at Hearts our results have been mostly terrible. Supposedly he works with the team on set pieces so on that evidence I suspect he couldn’t direct the traffic.

6 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

There’s a bizarre train of thought on here that despite our severe lack of progress, Levein is doing fine and someone like McPhee somehow deserves a promotion :rofl:

Why? Is it because he knocked back the SFA?  I can't see any evidence that he has contributed enough improvement to be considered.  Apart from contacts, I'd like to here why he should be giving the role as DOF.  If his ideas are that good, why not just let levein know them?  

1 hour ago, innerjambo said:

The Hearts model currently has us playing shit, and sitting joint bottom of the table. And we have some absolute cretins on here promoting this garbage. You would be forgiven for thinking they are actual enemies of the club.

Hiya Boris. 🙋🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

Is that not the Hearts model? To promote from within the club?

Its ok to bring in a new manager from outside the club, but he will want to change everything to suit his ways!

The Hearts model protects the internal workings of the club, and hopefully saves time in getting up to speed with how the club works!!!

But the talent has to be there to begin with.

The Hearts Feckin model is burst its boring we need to entertain when playing your Hamilton's etc at home we need to attack, ponsy corner kicks/ free kicks are a fail from what I have seen so far under Austin.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
59 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

Why? Is it because he knocked back the SFA?  I can't see any evidence that he has contributed enough improvement to be considered.  Apart from contacts, I'd like to here why he should be giving the role as DOF.  If his ideas are that good, why not just let levein know them?  

This is what I’m saying. McPhee has contributed feck all.

9 hours ago, OTT said:

Where is the evidence of this “excellent analysis” you speak of? What does it mean? I ask because whatever it is doesn’t seem to have translated onto the park for 3 years!

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Where is the evidence of this “excellent analysis” you speak of? What does it mean? I ask because whatever it is doesn’t seem to have translated onto the park for 3 years!

Amazing isn’t it? He’s been with two head coaches who’ve taken us backwards and people want him to get the DOF’s job. We must the thickest fans going.

13 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Agreed jig and Mikey live in a bubble always have always will.

How do you know that about people who anonymously post on here?

No real idea what McPhee does or whether he's any good at it.

Judging by what goes on on the pitch, I rather suspect not.

15 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Since he arrived at Hearts our results have been mostly terrible. Supposedly he works with the team on set pieces so on that evidence I suspect he couldn’t direct the traffic.

Agreed with some of this stuff but if McPhee does the set-plays then they were the only way we scored other than Naismith. We scored another set-piece at the weekend and loads last year, won the semi-final with all set plays, one thing that isnt sh*t is them

3 hours ago, Cut The Crap said:

No real idea what McPhee does or whether he's any good at it.

Judging by what goes on on the pitch, I rather suspect not.

Spot on.

He seems like a decent chap and very like-able.

However, there's little evidence he's an effective assistant manager, nevermind potential head coach or DOF.

Ah Master Morgan you again, its all about opinions and my opinion is when it comes to all things Hearts mainly youths mind they can only see the positive.

Austin indeed has good points and when I have met him he is bursting with enthusiasm, but if Levein goes hopefully he goes also, there its nice to be nice.

The Real Maroonblood
16 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Amazing isn’t it? He’s been with two head coaches who’ve taken us backwards and people want him to get the DOF’s job. We must the thickest fans going.

This.

Guest ToqueJambo
On 07/09/2019 at 09:22, Enzo Chiefo said:

Would be a great choice but it would only happen if Levein left the club. Also, he's on 600k at NI which would be a huge stumbling block.

He'll be on nothing after he leaves NI.

I see a few folk wondering what McPhee does and snickering about “set pieces” etc. I actually think some of his set pieces have grabbed us a few goals. Am I missing something?

51 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I see a few folk wondering what McPhee does and snickering about “set pieces” etc. I actually think some of his set pieces have grabbed us a few goals. Am I missing something?

His set pieces have definitely got us goals.

i think his contribution and input with the first team shouldn’t be underestimated. Which is why he  should be sacked immediately.

13 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

His set pieces have definitely got us goals.

i think his contribution and input with the first team shouldn’t be underestimated. Which is why he  should be sacked immediately.

:D

I’ll go as far as to say that I think something needs changed in the coaching set up. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Maybe his set pieces will be the only thing that prevents us being relegated. It's like saying, here we have a whole big barrel of crap, and McPhee is also crap, but not as crap as the rest.

Just now, PnG said:

He needs to be ejected from the club along with Levein.

He's a stick on he'll be the next manager.

I really hope he doesn’t get to be manager. He’s heavily involved with the first team at the moment. Probably sees them more than CL.

We need a complete overhaul of tactics, maybe training methods and just an overall shot in the arm. The team looks stale and out of ideas. I doubt if AM is the man to make the changes needed.

1 minute ago, innerjambo said:

Maybe his set pieces will be the only thing that prevents us being relegated. It's like saying, here we have a whole big barrel of crap, and McPhee is also crap, but not as crap as the rest.

We aren’t getting relegated with or without his set-pieces. Give yourself a shake man, for god’s sake! 😂

23 hours ago, bobskeldon said:

His analysis is what helped St Mirren beat us in the cup in 2013. He's responsible for the fruity freekick routines and long throw ins which has netted us goals in the past. 

Ultimately the state of the first team is Leveins issue. You can only follow the instructions of your boss and if your boss is a not losing at all costs type then you can't do much to change that.

Finally, being a DOF isn't at all like being a manager, there are plenty and I mean PLENTY of DOF that wouldn't last a day in management. Management/ Coaching is very much the day to day of the footballing department. As DOF you guide the long term strategy of the footballing department. I think Austin very much has that way of thinking and could introduce a much fresher take on football than Levein which would be reflected in whoever came in as Headcoach. 

Have a read online about what a DOF should be doing. Levein should never have taken the managers job on a permanent basis. Its completely jeopardised his position at the club. He should only have steadied the ship post Cathro and been actively looking for a replacement. 

Graham Thomson
42 minutes ago, OTT said:

Have a read online about what a DOF should be doing. Levein should never have taken the managers job on a permanent basis. Its completely jeopardised his position at the club. He should only have steadied the ship post Cathro and been actively looking for a replacement. 

I agree with you, even if he had taken the job until the end of that season, then got a permanent replacement. 

I'm guessing he maybe didn't have a choice tho. 

Without going into the merits, or otherwise, of McPhee, my view is that if a change is to happen, it must be wholesale and not just a shuffling of the pack.  Changing the job descriptions is unlikely to change the interactions with players.  Anyway, I see Warnock fancies managing in Edinburgh....

1 hour ago, Haken said:

Without going into the merits, or otherwise, of McPhee, my view is that if a change is to happen, it must be wholesale and not just a shuffling of the pack.  Changing the job descriptions is unlikely to change the interactions with players.  Anyway, I see Warnock fancies managing in Edinburgh....

Would take Warnock in a heartbeat, but is he too old now? Be worth it for his press conference’s alone

We_are_the_Hearts
3 minutes ago, sac said:

Would take Warnock in a heartbeat, but is he too old now? Be worth it for his press conference’s alone

Would be great to get him for a couple of years and let him restructure the playing side of the club. Install that fearless mentality, team strength and work and give us a playing style. Simple stuff that most managers could give us with fresh impetus

Bazzas right boot
15 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Nope, you're not. 

He obviously had a big say in the moves of Lafferty, Smith and Washington as well. 

Likley also  a factor in Meshino joining us. 

Bazzas right boot
On 08/09/2019 at 21:48, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

You're last sentence is the only thing of sense you've posted in a while, not for the reasons you think, tho. 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

You're last sentence is the only thing of sense you've posted in a while, not for the reasons you think, tho. 

Would you have him as DoF ?

I wouldn’t !

If things go pear-shaped over the next three games, he should be out the door with the manager and the other coaches.