• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dawnrazor

• JFK-1

• Sooperstar

• Dagger Is Back

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's my two. Ruby is 12, Ada is now 7 months. The pup absolutely worships the ground Ruby walks on. The feeling is not 100% mutual 😂

Screenshot_20210206-194532_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210206-194522_Gallery.jpg

theAlvasection

Unfortunately I'm going to make the hard journey to the vets tomorrow to say goodbye to my best friend of fourteen years tomorrow.

Gutted but I can't watch him suffer after the years of love he's brought to the house. 😢

And he’s not praying!
13 minutes ago, theAlvasection said:

Unfortunately I'm going to make the hard journey to the vets tomorrow to say goodbye to my best friend of fourteen years tomorrow.

Gutted but I can't watch him suffer after the years of love he's brought to the house. 😢

Sorry to hear that.

Having just come out of a relationship and having always been around dogs and wanted one, now is the time to get one I think. It’s a minefield and I don’t know where to start, anyone impart some general advice please? Many thanks 

Dagger Is Back
45 minutes ago, theAlvasection said:

So sorry to read this. The hardest but kindest thing you’ll ever do for your boy.

2 hours ago, theAlvasection said:

Sad news, it's never easy

Don’t know what to say. My thoughts and love are with you and your best pal. Been in the same position and although you know it is the right decision you will hate yourself for it. Have a wee tear in my eye writing this. All the best to you both.❤️🐶

Really sorry to hear that.

2 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

Having just come out of a relationship and having always been around dogs and wanted one, now is the time to get one I think. It’s a minefield and I don’t know where to start, anyone impart some general advice please? Many thanks 

Don't go into it lightly. It's hard work, specially at the puppy stage. Think I would struggle if doing it all alone.

If using websites like pets4homes then just be wary of puppy farmers. Once you know the breeders name have a wee Google of them to see if it brings up anything nasty.

Think about what breed you want.

Do your research, check check and check again about health checks.

Do you have a breed in mind?

10 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Think about what breed you want.

Do your research, check check and check again about health checks.

Do you have a breed in mind?

Yeah mate, a small breed, even a whippet. I like the wee cuties- a wee fur ball lol. I’ve grown up with jack russells and love their characters 

28 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Don't go into it lightly. It's hard work, specially at the puppy stage. Think I would struggle if doing it all alone.

If using websites like pets4homes then just be wary of puppy farmers. Once you know the breeders name have a wee Google of them to see if it brings up anything nasty.

Thank you mate

7 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

Yeah mate, a small breed, even a whippet. I like the wee cuties- a wee fur ball lol. I’ve grown up with jack russells and love their characters 

A Whippet would be an excellent choice, one of my favourite breeds, a Whippet or a Whippet x Bedlington Terrier cross is on my wishlist.

There's 3 different "types" of Whippet, Show, Coursing and Racing, great wee dogs that sleepba lot.

4 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

One of the girls on gogglebox has a gorgeous grey whippet, would love one like that. 

Is it a Blue one? I love the Blue and Blue and White ones.

We're debating names for my new pup right now, I think "Finn" or "Hoggy" after yesterday's win would be good!!

Puppies quite expensive just now because of lockdown etc?

Prices definitely went way up last year, but I would have thought they'd have settled back down a bit now.

5 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Prices definitely went way up last year, but I would have thought they'd have settled back down a bit now.

They don't seem to have, I don't think they go back either.

32 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

They don't seem to have, I don't think they go back either.

Madness. 1 year ago today we got ours and within 2 months the price had more than trebled.

4 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Madness. 1 year ago today we got ours and within 2 months the price had more than trebled.

I picked a pupbup the morning, it was a stud fee pup so I didn't pay anything, 12 months ago a Springer pup was between 4 and 5 hundred quid, 1600 now.

I don't mind the increase in price for well bred, health tested pups, I think they've been too cheap, but the price for mongrels is ridiculous imo, 3 grand for a cross bred pup, madness.

Worthing Jambo
7 hours ago, theAlvasection said:

Feel for you mate.

Nearly a year for our loony Lenny.

Better to let them go while the tail still wags.

We are ready now to look at another character to join the family.

Maybe not a lab/springer cross this time 😂

Gone, but he will never be forgotten 😔

WoolfordsHearts
8 hours ago, theAlvasection said:

Sad sad news pal.

Take comfort from the fact that you've gave your boy 14 loving years that he'd thank you for if he could.

Jambof3tornado
29 minutes ago, theAlvasection said:

Thanks for the support,I know its for the best for him and that's all that matters.

Toughest decision you'll ever have to make, have you done it too early, have you left it too late, jesus it brings back some hellish memories.

Your pooch will meet some crackin dugs up there thats for sure.

CavySlaveJambo
3 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

I think they've been too cheap, but the price for mongrels is ridiculous imo, 3 grand for a cross bred pup, madness.

But they are not just any mongrel they are  “designer” mongrels.  Plus you don’t know what traits you are getting from each parent.  Imagine the worst of a miniature poodle and a cocker spaniel in one dog. 

(Spot the Poodle owner)

Edited by CavySlaveJambo

CavySlaveJambo
7 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

The Kennel Club used to have an amazing Breed finder (find a suitable breed for you) tool on their website. They did up the website and it is gone. 

3 hours ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

But they are not just any mongrel they are  “designer” mongrels.  Plus you don’t know what traits you are getting from each parent.  Imagine the worst of a miniature poodle and a cocker spaniel in one dog. 

(Spot the Poodle owner)

Oi, mine is a Cockapoo and she's perfect! Lying curled up next to me now as I watch the Superbowl. A year of joy!

14 hours ago, theAlvasection said:

Been in the same position last year,you are making the proper

decision and thinking of the dog who has given you so much enjoyment 

over the last fourteen years.

Kalamazoo Jambo
17 hours ago, theAlvasection said:

Really sorry to hear that. It’s the right decision but that doesn’t make it any easier.

38 minutes ago, theAlvasection said:

That's it all over with,It was very peaceful and he just slipped off to sleep.

Thanks again for the replies.

I feel for you, I'll be looking at the same thing soon, it never gets easier.

• 1 month later...
Konrad von Carstein

Just checked the meat content of our Pedigree puppy food 40% meat derivatives  (4% of the named animal) doesn't seem a lot of meat.

Do any of you, use the likes of Tails.com, Bella & Duke or Butternut?  Their meat content is significantly higher and all seem to get good reviews...but I'm now suffering information over load...

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Just checked the meat content of our Pedigree puppy food 40% meat derivatives  (4% of the named animal) doesn't seem a lot of meat.

Do any of you, use the likes of Tails.com, Bella & Duke or Butternut?  Their meat content is significantly higher and all seem to get good reviews...but I'm now suffering information over load...

Richmond's sausages are 42% meat, in fact a sausage only has to be 32% near in the UK to be a perfectly legal sausage.

Spoiler

e0c.png

Konrad von Carstein
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Richmond's sausages are 42% meat, in fact a sausage only has to be 32% near in the UK to be a perfectly legal sausage.

Hide contents

e0c.png

These boys when in the mood for a sossij

image.png.b47e941c46b44d5bdaf3facf2961b877.png

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

2 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

This site gives nutritional ratings for dog food - https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory

We use Tails.com but she went off the dry stuff and wasn't eating it all most of the time. We now have adjusted portions of dry stuff from Tails, which we mix with wet food from either Naturo or Lily's Kitchen, just to give a bit of variety. She is a fussy bugger with her own food though. First few times of a new food she demolishes it and then she starts eating less and less. I'm dead against changing constantly though, I have no interest in that game!

CavySlaveJambo
2 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I use Forthglade and Eden (but they can’t sell it as suitable for puppies now due to guideline changes but they still have the feeding guidelines available for over 14 weeks).   

Both come up highly on All About Dog Food 

Edited by CavySlaveJambo

For anyone considering getting a dog but are put off by the cost, I suggest that you think about a rescue dog from a sanctuary.  My daughter and granddaughter have both done it and are delighted with the results.  The prices the sanctuary charge are very modest in comparison with buying from a breeder.

They have two smashing, mixed breed dogs (that's a polite way of saying a mutt) who were house-trained on arrival and they both quickly settled into the family life.

One of them developed an ACL problem (just like a football player) after about a year, and the sanctuary footed the entire vet bill.  

3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

For anyone considering getting a dog but are put off by the cost, I suggest that you think about a rescue dog from a sanctuary.  My daughter and granddaughter have both done it and are delighted with the results.  The prices the sanctuary charge are very modest in comparison with buying from a breeder.

They have two smashing, mixed breed dogs (that's a polite way of saying a mutt) who were house-trained on arrival and they both quickly settled into the family life.

One of them developed an ACL problem (just like a football player) after about a year, and the sanctuary footed the entire vet bill.  

Two of my friends have got dogs in the last year from Eastern Europe as rescues. One of them a Small spaniel sized dog from Romania but with markings like a Doberman. Really nice little dog but a bit nervous in nature. The other has got one from Hungary that is apparently a cross breed with a large amount of some kind of Hungarian sheepdog. It’s a beautiful thing and has a lovely lively personality. If you’re an outdoor type there also podenco dogs from Spain always looking for owners. They’re slightly bonkers greyhound type dogs bred for hunting but often abandoned if they don’t make the grade. 

752B9954-3FDA-40B7-BCBA-923DCFF9A4AE.jpeg

61DB3A9C-5D7D-446B-9B41-9EE8517FC6DF.jpeg

CavySlaveJambo
On 12/03/2021 at 18:13, Konrad von Carstein said:

How is your hunt for a new dog food going? 

• 3 weeks later...
CavySlaveJambo

Ugh what to do with two clever puppies during their Kennel Cough Quarantine.   They are going to get so bored. 

Konrad von Carstein
On 15/03/2021 at 18:28, CavySlaveJambo said:

How is your hunt for a new dog food going? 

We went for Bella & Duke (apologies @Dawnrazor :( but the missus said) He scarfs it down in nano seconds and his poop while not smelling like an aftershave I'd recommend smells much "cleaner" if you get my drift...

12 hours ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Ugh what to do with two clever puppies during their Kennel Cough Quarantine.   They are going to get so bored. 

Balls and similar things with treats concealed in them. 

Edited by GinRummy

• 5 months later...
CavySlaveJambo

You won’t believe this.  I have started showing my older dog at the age of five. 

My boy has qualified for Crufts.  In a pet trim.  

Kalamazoo Jambo
4 hours ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

You won’t believe this.  I have started showing my older dog at the age of five. 

My boy has qualified for Crufts.  In a pet trim.  

Congratulations!