Dugs (or Dogs, if you prefer)

Maple Leaf

7 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

The only good bit was how quick it was. From playing dug of war the night before to waking up and gone in an hour and a half.   Did you have long periods without getting another one and how did you feel about walking without them? I'm surrounded by mountains, lochs and coastline but walking there without him feels pointless.  The main thing I have learned from this is knowing that you can feel this much love for something.

It is getting better with the day still peppered with tears etc.  The memories are immense...

Thanks for the reassurance.

She died in July last year and it was July this year before we moved on and adopted another dog. It's a hard time in the early months. The wife cried every day for weeks. The struggle is to strive to move on from the pain and think of the happy times.

Getting another dog isn't a replacement anymore than you could replace a lost child. They're unique in their own right and irreplaceable. But you can eventually move on.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dawnrazor

• JFK-1

• Sooperstar

• Dagger Is Back

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

She died in July last year and it was July this year before we moved on and adopted another dog. It's a hard time in the early months. The wife cried every day for weeks. The struggle is to strive to move on from the pain and think of the happy times.

Getting another dog isn't a replacement anymore than you could replace a lost child. They're unique in their own right and irreplaceable. But you can eventually move on.

Going to give it six months to a year and then look at another one.  This thread last night had me thinking about one soon.  Especially the story about the dog always going to the wrong door. 

There was something on the BBC website a couple of months ago saying that dogs has worked out that we fall for the big puppy eyes and that have evolved into making them wider just to cash in on the cuteness.  Hats off to them...

Reading through this thread has been tough. I have lost dogs before and know how difficult it is, but the labrador we have now is the first one that really feels like 'my' dog. 

She's amazing and never fails to cheer me up and lift my spirits. Thankfully she's only two years old just now, but even now I get emotional about the idea of losing her. 

Couldn't ask for a better 'pup'. 

IMG_20190319_124256_680.thumb.jpg.e9252b3f9cb46bde0f0e9dc2e6825059.jpg

I just got my first dog after wanting one for years but always living in small flats in the city centre. Finally out in the country, so the time had come.

I picked her up two weeks ago and I can’t believe I waited this long. She’s a retired racing greyhound, just turned 3. First week everything was new - stairs, the hoover, Christmas tree etc. Now she pretty much just takes it all in her stride. This morning she stood and stared at a plastic bag for about 5 minutes when we were out on her walk. I had to approach it first, then let her sniff it before we could carry on. Also sometimes she’ll stop mid walk and refuse to go any further until you cuddle her. She’s the most adorable big, lazy lump you could hope for.

52532917-1D9E-43ED-9960-9516DF8A14C7.jpeg

Edit: Not sure why that’s sideways and can’t seem to fix it....

Edited by Keir

24 minutes ago, Manny1874 said:

Reading through this thread has been tough. I have lost dogs before and know how difficult it is, but the labrador we have now is the first one that really feels like 'my' dog. 

She's amazing and never fails to cheer me up and lift my spirits. Thankfully she's only two years old just now, but even now I get emotional about the idea of losing her. 

Couldn't ask for a better 'pup'. 

IMG_20190319_124256_680.thumb.jpg.e9252b3f9cb46bde0f0e9dc2e6825059.jpg

She's beautiful mate

I remember when we first got a dog. Wonderful collie cross from dog and cat home. I was about 12 and so excited. My granny was still alive and staying with us. At 93 you know what they are like... Anyway the first thing she said was "it will break your heart when it dies". I was angry and thought it so inappropriate. Fast forward 12 years and when our dog did go, i remember saying to my dad... Granny was right after all. Never seen my old man so upset when we lost Lucky 

On 30/12/2019 at 03:18, FruitJuice said:

This is what I'm missing. Screenshot_20191230-021629_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3127c2777afeca4a47fc9ecdfe5fe29e.jpg

Aw mate. Welling up here. Looks a real beauty. Nothing more i can say to ease your loss

On 30/12/2019 at 17:01, FruitJuice said:

Going to give it six months to a year and then look at another one.  This thread last night had me thinking about one soon.  Especially the story about the dog always going to the wrong door. 

There was something on the BBC website a couple of months ago saying that dogs has worked out that we fall for the big puppy eyes and that have evolved into making them wider just to cash in on the cuteness.  Hats off to them...

Lost my dog couple of year ago and still have not been able to get a new dog as of yet. Got a cat out of necessity and whilst i like her enough it is more of an arrangement than anything else 😂 

She keeps the mice away and she gets spoiled rotten. 

Anyways, sorry for your loss. I hope one day I can open my heart again for another pooch but like yourself i was a broken man after losing my wee best pal. ❤

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Lost my dog couple of year ago and still have not been able to get a new dog as of yet. Got a cat out of necessity and whilst i like her enough it is more of an arrangement than anything else 😂 

She keeps the mice away and she gets spoiled rotten. 

Anyways, sorry for your loss. I hope one day I can open my heart again for another pooch but like yourself i was a broken man after losing my wee best pal. ❤

It's probably hard to understand if you haven't had a dog but a broken man is how you feel.  It is getting better by the day.  Still hard not to start welling up if someone asks about it on the phone etc.  

• 1 month later...
Worthing Jambo

Been following this thread for a while knowing what was coming.

Well, tomorrow is the day.

Thirteen and half years living with an absolute nutcase.

God I’m going to miss him😔

Worthing Jambo
10 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Sorry mate. So sad.

You can look back, remember all the fun you both had and always remember that you gave him a great life. And that he gave you the same. 

Take care.

Thanks Jonno👍
I’m sure your literary prose on the build up to Tuesday will make me smile😊

Dagger Is Back
3 hours ago, Worthing Jambo said:

Been following this thread for a while knowing what was coming.

Well, tomorrow is the day.

Thirteen and half years living with an absolute nutcase.

God I’m going to miss him😔

Really sad and sorry to read your post WJ.

The bravest but hardest thing you’ll ever have to do for your boy

♥️

• 5 months later...

8 months old now, wearing her medical vest here to stop her getting at her wound after being spayed. Great dog, loves everyone and loved by everyone.

Family queue up to look after her if we have a night out, weekend away etc. We tell them one thing...do not sneeze. If you do she is in your face in an instant, protecting you from the danger.

My wife has set up an Instagram page for her. I am having nothing to do with something so ridiculous. 

Screenshot_20200823-104318_Facebook.jpg

On 30/08/2019 at 10:20, Maple Leaf said:

My granddaughter has two dogs. One is an Alsation and the other is a Standard Poodle.

Last evening, she and her partner had just sat down to eat dinner when they heard a loud commotion outside. They rushed out, to find that the Alsation had been sprayed by a skunk. That's the 5th time in five years, so it's obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

The Alsation hates water. Nevertheless, they wrestled it into the house and up the stairs and into the bathtub, where they had a 15 minute battle to get it washed. Soaked through and thoroughly pissed-off, they went back downstairs to eat their dinner, only to discover that the poodle had jumped onto the table and eaten every scrap of food!  Plus the two paper napkins. 

Sometime during the night, it barfed the lot up again onto the carpet.

Dugs! You gotta luv 'em.

When I posted that we had another family dog, an adorable wee West Highland Terrier.  At 13 years old she was doing great, although needed to get a diabetes needle twice a day.  But as spunky and fun-loving as ever.

One day in March she just wasn't her usual self, so my granddaughter took her to the vet.  The news was as bad as it could be; her kidneys had failed and she needed to be put down immediately.  My granddaughter brought her home so that we could all say our goodbyes, then it was back to the vet for that final visit.

I cried like a child.

6 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I bet you did. Our wee Westie had to be put to sleep a year past February and we still miss her. Cried our eyes out.

She was 16 and a wee star. 

We now have a rescue Cavalier King Charles and she really is part of the family, along with our daughter's Cavalier.

From hiding under the table to now jumping up onto our bed and cuddling us at 5am safe to say she is right at home.

We will always have dogs. 

Having seen your wee King Charlie, even me, a person who is afraid of all dogs, I have to say that she is lovely.

7 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Our new arrival Duke who is 9 weeks old. The house now feels like a home again

image.thumb.jpeg.293080f6ecabd17ef8903cb562669424.jpeg

Looks a cracker dagger ... Labs are great dugs we're oan our second🙂

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Jambo314 said:

Looks a cracker dagger ... Labs are great dugs we're oan our second🙂

He is matey. A real character and you're right about them being great dogs. Mind you it 's like having a toddler again. LOL

Dagger Is Back
56 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Great stuff, Dagger. I'm sure you will all have a great time with Duke and give him a wonderful life. 

Dogs are so good for mental health in these challenging times. 

Thanks boss. Couldn't agree more. It's nice to hear laughter in the house again and it's all down to him

Walter Payton
11 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Our new arrival Duke who is 9 weeks old. The house now feels like a home again

image.thumb.jpeg.293080f6ecabd17ef8903cb562669424.jpeg

Cracking dug mate- green collar though? :levein_interesting:

Here's our Giany- he's 8 months old, but we've only had him for 2 months (came from a Romanian rescue). Seems to love carrying his water bowl for some reason!

water bowl2.jpg

3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Great stuff, Dagger. I'm sure you will all have a great time with Duke and give him a wonderful life. 

Dogs are so good for mental health in these challenging times. 

So true.  My mother spent her last couple of years in Braeside House in Liberton.  Once a week dogs were brought into the House for the residents to fuss over.  The dogs never failed to lift people's spirits.

Man's Best Friend, indeed.  :dog: 🐕‍🦺

Dagger Is Back
6 hours ago, Bring on the Future said:

Here's our Giany- he's 8 months old, but we've only had him for 2 months (came from a Romanian rescue). Seems to love carrying his water bowl for some reason!

water bowl2.jpg

That’s a really good thing you did for Giany 

I know! 8 dogs in a litter with different coloured collars and we get the green one!

Not happy but it’s off now and in the important things box 

Just need to teach Duke how to bark FTH and my job is done 

Dagger Is Back
6 hours ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

We got another Border Terrier two weeks ago, this is Ralphie :)

IMG_20200820_170022.jpg

Man, he’s a cute wee fella. 

7 hours ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

We got another Border Terrier two weeks ago, this is Ralphie :)

IMG_20200820_170022.jpg

He is so cute have fun with your new 🐕 dog.

On 24/08/2020 at 12:12, Bring on the Future said:

water bowl2.jpg

I give you the correct collar attire for any self respecting Jambo 

image.png.764ef2fe8b58b1c7f974118ce82c2f48.png

21 minutes ago, merrymac said:

I'm familiar with your dogs from the EOS Cockapoos FB page.

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Ha ha - not my department but do get the odd snippet of info about that.

Do you have a Cockapoo?

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Edit.

Just spotted your Cockapoo from a previous post.

Lovely dog beautiful colour, will bring you massive amounts of love and fun.

Don't know what I would do without my two.

1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Edit.

Just spotted your Cockapoo from a previous post.

Lovely dog beautiful colour, will bring you massive amounts of love and fun.

Don't know what I would do without my two.

Aye she is great. Think most of the chocolate ones go grey quite young and she does have some coming in through the back, so I suspect her colour won't be around for long. She'll still be alright though! Currently sat behind me on the back of the couch, a paw on each shoulder and her head rested on mine!

Dagger Is Back
4 hours ago, merrymac said:

Point well made and understood

CavySlaveJambo
4 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Think most of the chocolate ones go grey quite young and she does have some coming in through the back, so I suspect her colour won't be around for long.

My Black mini poodle is going grey and he is only just over 4. Think it could be something to do with Poodle genetics. 

14 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

My Black mini poodle is going grey and he is only just over 4. Think it could be something to do with Poodle genetics. 

Aye, certainly I have heard that of the Cockapoo gets the Poodle gene for their hair then grey is a side effect.

6 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

the Poodle gene for their hair then grey is a side effect.

You've just described my sister-in-law.

We have no idea what breed Ziggy is. He's a rescue and. supposedly three years old but he's going proper grey. Suits him though. Very distinguished

Lone Striker
On 26/08/2020 at 10:46, Jamhammer said:

We have no idea what breed Ziggy is. He's a rescue and. supposedly three years old but he's going proper grey. Suits him though. Very distinguished

Just discovered this thread .... great to see so many posters having their lives enhanced by dogs, and feeling able to talk of the heartbreak of losing them.   It is truly heartbreaking, and nothing to be ashamed of when you suddenly start blubbing like a child.  As dog owners, we sign up to the reality that one day it will happen.    Relatively few dogs just go to bed and never wake up .... so we are usually faced with having to make the most awful decision to bring it about an end to the dog's suffering, while ours continues and gets worse.   

JH - The pic of your  Ziggy caught my attention, because he looks 90% like my wee Romanian rescue  Yodika.   Similar ears and muzzle. We had her DNA tested a couple of years ago, and the 3 main breeds came back as Chihuahua, French Bulldog and Patterdale Terrier.   It's also interesting that you say he's going grey (around the muzzle mainly ?).  When Yodika came into our lives, she was completely black like Ziggy, but fairly soon started to develop grey/white hairs on the muzzle and belly. Now her lower jaw  is 80%  white.    Maybe its  age, or breed or the effect of the Scottish weather.     Anyway, well done on helping a dog in need of a loving and safe home.  👍 

Edited by Lone Striker

24 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Just discovered this thread .... great to see so many posters having their lives enhanced by dogs, and feeling able to talk of the heartbreak of losing them.   It is truly heartbreaking, and nothing to be ashamed of when you suddenly start blubbing like a child.  As dog owners, we sign up to the reality that one day it will happen.    Relatively few dogs just go to bed and never wake up .... so we are usually faced with having to make the most awful decision to bring it about an end to the dog's suffering, while ours continues and gets worse.   

JH - The pic of your  Ziggy caught my attention, because he looks 90% like my wee Romanian rescue  Yodika.   Similar ears and muzzle. We had her DNA tested a couple of years ago, and the 3 main breeds came back as Chihuahua, French Bulldog and Patterdale Terrier.   It's also interesting that you say he's going grey (around the muzzle mainly ?).  When Yodika came into our lives, she was completely black like Ziggy, but fairly soon started to develop grey/white hairs on the muzzle and belly. Now her lower jaw  is 80%  white.    Maybe its  age, or breed or the effect of the Scottish weather.     Anyway, well done on helping a dog in need of a loving and safe home.  👍 

Thanks bud. Can’t imagine being without him now. He’s a good lad apart from, still destroying the odd shoe/Slipper.

Got a picture of Yodika?

Walter Payton
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Where did you get the DNA testing done LS? I'd be interested in getting Giany's results, but a lot of them say they can only confidently say their tests work for bloodlines that have been in the UK/US/Western Europe for a while. If there's one that promises a decent level of accuracy with Romanian rescues, I'd be very interested in the outcome!

48 minutes ago, Bring on the Future said:

Where did you get the DNA testing done LS? I'd be interested in getting Giany's results, but a lot of them say they can only confidently say their tests work for bloodlines that have been in the UK/US/Western Europe for a while. If there's one that promises a decent level of accuracy with Romanian rescues, I'd be very interested in the outcome!

https://www.wisdompanel.co.uk/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Generic&gclid=Cj0KCQjws536BRDTARIsANeUZ58ymD0YL4sYfvRtaZu795cmYsBQo0qHmLwI7cXH_oRegskN8sl-NycaAkROEALw_wcB&gclid=Cj0KCQjws536BRDTARIsANeUZ58ymD0YL4sYfvRtaZu795cmYsBQo0qHmLwI7cXH_oRegskN8sl-NycaAkROEALw_wcB

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, Bring on the Future said:

It was company called Viaguard. They send you swabs to take saliva and cells from the dogs' mouth, and a tube to seal it in and send it back.  They send you back a certificate showing the main breeds the DNA sample shows, and the breed characteristics and history.  

http://www.via-pet.co.uk

Lone Striker
3 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Thanks bud. Can’t imagine being without him now. He’s a good lad apart from, still destroying the odd shoe/Slipper.

Got a picture of Yodika?

Here's a photo of her being taken to the rescue shelter in Romania in 2015 or 2016 -

491707618_Yodika.jpg.01447d531098300c92eb2c7bb120a602.jpg

Poor wee thing looks so worried.

Here she is today -

622263938_Yodi2resize.thumb.jpg.454589bca09aeff5e7e010cfe7c3a4ce.jpg

29732341_Yodi1resize.jpg.75ba3f5187ff6f448cfbc6096b16b45d.jpg

Do you see some similarity with Ziggy ?

4 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Here's a photo of her being taken to the rescue shelter in Romania in 2015 or 2016 -

491707618_Yodika.jpg.01447d531098300c92eb2c7bb120a602.jpg

Poor wee thing looks so worried.

Here she is today -

622263938_Yodi2resize.thumb.jpg.454589bca09aeff5e7e010cfe7c3a4ce.jpg

29732341_Yodi1resize.jpg.75ba3f5187ff6f448cfbc6096b16b45d.jpg

Do you see some similarity with Ziggy ?

Totally. He’s a bit bigger. Bout Collie size. He’ll walk all day but, I’ve never had a dog sleeps as much. Genuinely sleeps 10 hours. I’ll take him out at 7 in the mornin when I finish night shift and he’ll come to be wi me for another 5 or 6 

Walter Payton
13 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Cheers mate. Unfortunately Wisdom Panel are one of the ones that say they're not accurate for Romania.

From their website "The Wisdom Panel tests have been developed using genetic markers from American Kennel Club (AKC) breeds and some non-AKC breeds in the U.S., as well as purebred dogs from Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, western Europe. Through the course of our test development, we have observed that certain breeds sometimes have quite different genetic breed signatures in different geographical regions, particularly in comparison to the same breed in Europe or Australia. Due to these geographic variations, Wisdom Panel is only offered in the assessed geographic regions. We have also tested dogs from Mexico and the Caribbean, but these are performed on a case-by-case basis and the results may be difficult to interpret without the appropriate population information from those regions.

In order to assure we maintain the quality and accuracy of our test results, before we can extend the Wisdom Panel tests to new countries we must collect and analyze DNA from a large number of dogs of every breed from each new geographic location"

12 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

It was company called Viaguard. They send you swabs to take saliva and cells from the dogs' mouth, and a tube to seal it in and send it back.  They send you back a certificate showing the main breeds the DNA sample shows, and the breed characteristics and history.  

http://www.via-pet.co.uk

Thanks mate. I couldn't find anywhere on their site that said what areas of the world their tests are accurate for (I'd be surprised if they could honestly say they've got global coverage!) but I emailed them to ask yesterday. I'll let you know if I get a reply!

Lone Striker
4 hours ago, Bring on the Future said:

Cheers mate. Unfortunately Wisdom Panel are one of the ones that say they're not accurate for Romania.

From their website "The Wisdom Panel tests have been developed using genetic markers from American Kennel Club (AKC) breeds and some non-AKC breeds in the U.S., as well as purebred dogs from Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, western Europe. Through the course of our test development, we have observed that certain breeds sometimes have quite different genetic breed signatures in different geographical regions, particularly in comparison to the same breed in Europe or Australia. Due to these geographic variations, Wisdom Panel is only offered in the assessed geographic regions. We have also tested dogs from Mexico and the Caribbean, but these are performed on a case-by-case basis and the results may be difficult to interpret without the appropriate population information from those regions.

In order to assure we maintain the quality and accuracy of our test results, before we can extend the Wisdom Panel tests to new countries we must collect and analyze DNA from a large number of dogs of every breed from each new geographic location"

Thanks mate. I couldn't find anywhere on their site that said what areas of the world their tests are accurate for (I'd be surprised if they could honestly say they've got global coverage!) but I emailed them to ask yesterday. I'll let you know if I get a reply!

I can't remember if we told Viaguard she was originally from Romania or not.   However the 3 breeds they mentioned resulting from their analysis of her DNA seem plausible when you look at pictures of other cross-breeds which have  2 or 3 of these in them.  Give them a go - good luck, mate.

alwaysthereinspirit

We just lost our 14 year old Australian Shepard this past Monday.

My wife called me hysterical at work as he just lay down at the back slider door and passed.

Neither one of us had a dog growing up.

I’ve cried at least once every day since Monday.

Cried driving home Wednesday because I didn’t let him lick my face once over the 14 years we had him. I just thought it was gross.Felt so guilty.

Hats off to people who have went through this more than once.

No way could I do this again.

Yesterday we got his ashes. More crying.

Miss you Boomer 😢