Dugs (or Dogs, if you prefer)

Maple Leaf

2 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

We just lost our 14 year old Australian Shepard this past Monday.

My wife called me hysterical at work as he just lay down at the back slider door and passed.

Neither one of us had a dog growing up.

I’ve cried at least once every day since Monday.

Cried driving home Wednesday because I didn’t let him lick my face once over the 14 years we had him. I just thought it was gross.Felt so guilty.

Hats off to people who have went through this more than once.

No way could I do this again.

Yesterday we got his ashes. More crying.

Miss you Boomer 😢

Sorry for your loss.I know it's hard but try and think of all the good times you all had with Boomer.

Take care

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dawnrazor

• JFK-1

• Sooperstar

• henrysmithsgloves

The younger of my two spaniels is a sneaky wee thing.  If I give both of them a treat, like a chewy bone, he'll look around for somewhere to hide his. Under tables, behind curtains, on a sofa; and then move cushions to cover it and once in my wife's open handbag. Then he'll try and get the other dog's one to eat.  Does anyone else have such a devious wee git? 

My wife called me hysterical at work as he just lay down at the back slider door and passed.

Cried driving home Wednesday because I didn’t let him lick my face once over the 14 years we had him. I just thought it was gross.Felt so guilty.

Miss you Boomer 😢

It’s horrendous mate, something that always stays with you.Dugs are brilliant though. Get another one. Totally different breed and temperament from the one you lost. 

Miss you Boomer 😢

As a dog lover and owner, I share your pain. It's a wonderful thing, the unconditional love that dogs give us humans and the love that you had for your best pal. 

Lone Striker

Miss you Boomer 😢

So sorry to hear about Boomer's passing  - hopefully you can take some strength from knowing that any suffering was quickly over.  Everyone who has lost a long-term "best friend" like him will identify with those feelings and regrets you describe.   Take as long as you need to go though the grief - eventually a sense of pride and thanksgiving will probably develop which will help you rationalise everything without the tears.   All the very best, mate    

Dagger Is Back
3 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Miss you Boomer 😢

Aww man

So sorry to hear about your loss. You clearly loved Boomer and for 14 years he was lucky to have you guys looking after him.

Little wonder you’re heartbroken. We all understand and it’s totally natural and to be expected. 

Post some pics if it helps or post here and tell us more about your boy if you want.

Thoughts with you and your family matey

Jambof3tornado
5 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Miss you Boomer 😢

Its one the the hardest hits to take,losing a family pooch. I've lost 4 in my lifetime and it doesnt get any easier. That said I'd never live in a house without a dog. The love and devotion they offer for the time we get with them is so special. I can go out with Oscar all day, walkies,beach, fish n chips etc etc. Love it. Sorry for your loss, it will get easier over time, but I still have down moments thinking about the ones that are no longer here.20181018_184841.thumb.jpg.456833eb8ee62cc4193ccdff0f3e45a8.jpg

16 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Miss you Boomer 😢

Really sorry to hear that. Sounds like he went happy and peacefully and without the stress of a final visit to the vets, though.

• 2 weeks later...

We lost our Doberman in May,i had him over a quarter of my life,  my 2 boys have only known life with a dog around and we were all devastated, it really is a massive loss.

We decided it was time and surprised them with a german wire haired pointer on Friday 

IMG-20200911-WA0012.jpg

FB_IMG_1599852238448.jpg

5 hours ago, Bozi said:

We lost our Doberman in May,i had him over a quarter of my life,  my 2 boys have only known life with a dog around and we were all devastated, it really is a massive loss.

We decided it was time and surprised them with a german wire haired pointer on Friday 

IMG-20200911-WA0012.jpg

FB_IMG_1599852238448.jpg

It's impossible to describe properly to non-doggie folk what the devastation of losing your long-time best friend feels like.    I hope you and your family get many years of fun and love with your new wee rascal !!  Well done.

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/08/2019 at 20:50, Lemongrab said:

Got a puppy a couple of weeks ago. I'll be expecting some shenanigans from wee Henry and his big brother in the future. I'm just glad we don't have skunks here. 🤮

Our puppy Labrador will be arriving just before new year

its our first dog 🐕 for 16 years any advice on how to prepare 

would be very much appreciated and also any advice on pet insurance 

1 minute ago, Hairdryer said:

Hide everything chew-able, especially slippers and shoes, speaking from experience 🙈 I'm sure you'll have lots of fun and enjoyment mate. Greta dugs, enjoy!!🙂

Just now, Jambo314 said:

Hide everything chew-able, especially slippers and shoes, speaking from experience 🙈 I'm sure you'll have lots of fun and enjoyment mate. Greta dugs, enjoy!!🙂

Thanks for the advice we are really looking forward to having a

dog in the house after all that time

7 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

A few months old and a few years later lol

10155986_679980495394118_8215244541398643417_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=ba80b0&_nc_ohc=LEM_UuEtCYsAX_uD780&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=70b4e5bcfe5a8be259af6ad24a505a9b&oe=5FA954FA

16711702_1294909367234558_7131376754627218606_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=8lHdUTzqo7gAX9Lp21J&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=6999d954f7b1b63782e2158ca2d6fcb7&oe=5FAA8870

5 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

Pet insurance, I don't bother with it and I've 8 dogs, put some money in a jar each week or in a wee savings account.

First inoculation at 10 weeks, second at 12(some vets do 8 and 10).

First annual booster at 13 month, I don't bother after that.

Plenty of classes and youtube can be great for training tips. I use CSJ food and a wee bit raw.

Enjoy the pup.

I get another Lab pup in 6 weeks.

3 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

A few months old and a few years later lol

10155986_679980495394118_8215244541398643417_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=ba80b0&_nc_ohc=LEM_UuEtCYsAX_uD780&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=70b4e5bcfe5a8be259af6ad24a505a9b&oe=5FA954FA

16711702_1294909367234558_7131376754627218606_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=8lHdUTzqo7gAX9Lp21J&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=6999d954f7b1b63782e2158ca2d6fcb7&oe=5FAA8870

Looks a good Labrador I may be biased but they are the best dogs 

2 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

Thanks for the advice we are really looking forward to having a

dog in the house after all that time

Praise the good behaviour and as hard as it is, ignore the bad. Do not shout at the dog.

Get used to picking him up and putting him outside to do his business. As soon as he does praise him or give him a treat. He’ll soon learn.

I recommend crate training if he’s going to be left alone for a few hours at a time. The dogs I’ve owned have all loved their wee dens.

Feed little and often, it’s better for them.

Plenty fresh water, plenty love. Let him be a dog.

Good luck.

5 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Praise the good behaviour and as hard as it is, ignore the bad. Do not shout at the dog.

Get used to picking him up and putting him outside to do his business. As soon as he does praise him or give him a treat. He’ll soon learn.

I recommend crate training if he’s going to be left alone for a few hours at a time. The dogs I’ve owned have all loved their wee dens.

Feed little and often, it’s better for them.

Plenty fresh water, plenty love. Let him be a dog.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice would he be left in a cage overnight 

or in his dog bed?

26 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

Thanks for the advice would he be left in a cage overnight 

or in his dog bed?

That’s entirely up to you mate. Personally I’ve always let my pups sleep where they want to at night. A couple of them have chosen to sleep in their crates whilst a couple of them have managed to get into my bed.

I just personally believe a den is appreciated by a dog. Google crate training a pup and you’ll get lots of advice. 

Just now, Konrad von Carstein said:

Me and Mrs KvC are really keen to get a dog (Lab ideally), but the prices people are asking just now are ridiculous!

Be very careful, not only are people asking stupid money, 3 grand, they're breeding shite to shite for the money only.

If you want a Labrador, expect to pay strong money but make sure you're getting one from fully health tested parents, hip scored elbow scored eye tested and genetically clear of the hereditary diseases. It costs me about £600 to put a bitch through these tests.

I lined my Lab bitch 3 weeks ago to a Field Trial Champion and Championship winning dog who is completely health tested to the same level as my bitch, people are charging a grand more than I am for pups whos parents are not healrh tested. If you've seen, or worse had, a Labrador with PRA or Elbow/Hip Dysplasia or a hereditary disease you'll understand why I've such strong views on breeding from heathy parents.

11 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Me and Mrs KvC are really keen to get a dog (Lab ideally), but the prices people are asking just now are ridiculous!

11 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Send me a personal message and I can put you in touch with a very reputable Labrador breeder 

and you definitely will not be paying ridiculous prices beware of the people 

charging silly prices

Konrad von Carstein
9 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Be very careful, not only are people asking stupid money, 3 grand, they're breeding shite to shite for the money only.

If you want a Labrador, expect to pay strong money but make sure you're getting one from fully health tested parents, hip scored elbow scored eye tested and genetically clear of the hereditary diseases. It costs me about £600 to put a bitch through these tests.

I lined my Lab bitch 3 weeks ago to a Field Trial Champion and Championship winning dog who is completely health tested to the same level as my bitch, people are charging a grand more than I am for pups whos parents are not healrh tested. If you've seen, or worse had, a Labrador with PRA or Elbow/Hip Dysplasia or a hereditary disease you'll understand why I've such strong views on breeding from heathy parents.

Thank you, we are both aware that there are B'stards out there taking advantage of people and have no care for the welfare of the animals that they are breeding and selling, hence our reluctance to commit at the moment. Can fully understand and support your stance.

3 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

Send me a personal message and I can put you in touch with a very reputable Labrador breeder 

and you definitely will not be paying ridiculous prices beware of the people 

charging silly prices

I may take you up on that, thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

We've got this wee darlin' coming in 3 weeks, Nell ❤

received_3501526609934140.jpeg

I hate dogs, Dawn.

Primarily because I am scared of them, but, I’ve got to say, that’s a wee beauty.

My boy Rudi. Can be a little prick at times but a love him. The mrs treats him like a baby and he laps it up. I'm 6ft 4 and he decides he wants to sleep at the bottom of my side of the bed. Most people would tell it to move. Me being a mug tries to get comfy around him.

Snapchat-1635441158.jpg

18 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Shell e working soon, Dawnie? 

6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Probably in 2022, I don't like rushing the training, I like a dog to have its puppyhood and never put pressure on them, I may take 10 or 12 month longer than most to fully train a dog but I seen to get a greater success rate and have a happier dog at the end.

16 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Probably in 2022, I don't like rushing the training, I like a dog to have its puppyhood and never put pressure on them, I may take 10 or 12 month longer than most to fully train a dog but I seen to get a greater success rate and have a happier dog at the end.

:thumbsup:

23 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Aaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww .....  say hello to the human, Nell.

8 hours ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

My boy Rudi. Can be a little prick at times but a love him. The mrs treats him like a baby and he laps it up. I'm 6ft 4 and he decides he wants to sleep at the bottom of my side of the bed. Most people would tell it to move. Me being a mug tries to get comfy around him.

Snapchat-1635441158.jpg

Rudi, eh ?   I hope you give him all the adoration he deserves  😜

17 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Rudi, eh ?   I hope you give him all the adoration he deserves  😜

And some. He's a spoilt wee shit 😂

• 2 months later...
Konrad von Carstein

This young man, Ziggy (Stardust) joins the KvC family at the end of the month...a long held wish to be owned by a dog is about to be realised...

Our cats will be delighted :lol: 

image.png.c3a38c6bbef2c6cca404ac7b4ddf5bf8.png

Dagger Is Back
26 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

This young man, Ziggy (Stardust) joins the KvC family at the end of the month...a long held wish to be owned by a dog is about to be realised...

He’s a wee smasher. 

Byyy The Light

Planning on getting a dog this summer once garden sorted and secured. Have narrowed it down to settle on a border terrier. Does anyone know of any reputable breeders? Searching online seems a lottery and I emailed the Scottish border terrier association and nobody got back to me.

Any help appreciated. Cheers

8 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

Planning on getting a dog this summer once garden sorted and secured. Have narrowed it down to settle on a border terrier. Does anyone know of any reputable breeders? Searching online seems a lottery and I emailed the Scottish border terrier association and nobody got back to me.

Any help appreciated. Cheers

Cracking dogs, I've got two. Cooper is 3 and Ralphie is 6 months. Can't help with breeders I'm afraid but here they are all the same...

PXL_20201010_230919899.jpg

Konrad von Carstein
30 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Looks a better. What’s the breed?

Dad is a collie, mum is a border collie spaniel cross... Both come from working farm dogs (not sure what difference that makes but thought I'd nention it :lol: ) Both parents really good natured loving dogs.

Nucky Thompson
On 06/11/2020 at 11:24, Zico said:

We got this wee (big) thing eight weeks ago. She’s awesome!

5057FF85-EB93-4930-AEAC-9C62FBEE1A03.jpeg

How are you getting on with your German Shepard now Zico?

Is your house still in one piece :biggrin2:

Byyy The Light
3 hours ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

Cracking dogs, I've got two. Cooper is 3 and Ralphie is 6 months. Can't help with breeders I'm afraid but here they are all the same...

PXL_20201010_230919899.jpg

Brilliant.  From what I've read seem to be ideal for me, not too big, intelligent, easyish to train, good with kids but still big keen enough to do big walks over the hills or come out running with me. Relatively chilled if they are exercised enough too.  That what you've found?

The mother in law had a jack russell so the terrier bits I'm used to and can deal with.

6 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

How are you getting on with your German Shepard now Zico?

Is your house still in one piece :biggrin2:

😂 the living room’s ****ed! To be honest, the living room and kitchen (where she spends most of her time) were all due to get done up so we’ve just put that off til she’s calmed down. And she’s got most of her adult teeth so the destruction level has toned down to post-apocalyptic!

Wouldn’t change her for the world though. 

8CFA8BAE-7BEA-4A58-86D8-3180814F1FAC.jpeg

17 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Lovely wee fella.    Looks quite intelligent and perceptive too - that wee sideways glance and expression seem to be saying   "You mean I'm being adopted by a human who spends most of his spare time on Kickback ?"     :arghh:😜

Konrad von Carstein
33 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Lovely wee fella.    Looks quite intelligent and perceptive too - that wee sideways glance and expression seem to be saying   "You mean I'm being adopted by a human who spends most of his spare time on Kickback ?"     :arghh:😜

:lol:  One of the myriad reasons for getting a dog is to make better use of spare time and get my expanding arse out of this awfy comfy chair.....

Or..."Tell me THIS Spangle doesn't belong to me!"  :(