Dugs (or Dogs, if you prefer)

Maple Leaf

queensferryjambo
5 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Thanks. She’s an absolute star of a dog. Except when she steals shoes and leaves them in the garden. And underwear. She has a thing for nicking pants. Oh and socks as well. 

Come to think of it im amazed both me and Mrs V M ever have anything to wear!

I feel your pain on the shoes.

Mine just get chewed but at least I can find them :)

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dawnrazor

• JFK-1

• Dagger Is Back

• henrysmithsgloves

She’s never chewed. Just picks em up and hides em.

Lost count of the odd socks I’m on. Shoes found in the most random of places including outside under trees.

Wouldnt change her for the world 👍

2 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

He is almost a year old now. His temperament is really nice he doesn't bark or growl at people or other dogs. He is still very excitable and playful with people but after a couple of minutes of attention he generally lies down and doses off.

He does get left on his own but never for any real length of time. I work shifts, we have kids in the house and my wife works close to home so always comes home at lunch every day so max 3 hours on his own and that is very rare. He stays in his bed / cage and just sleeps when we are out - although we tend to give him a walk in advance of going out so he is good and tired. He doesn't get upset or bark when we are out from what we can tell.

He is a terrier though so very stubborn. He would only come back if you called him if you had a treat for him. So getting his call back is a big priority as I can't let him off the lead unless it is a completely fenced off area or area nowhere near roads. 

We got him from a kennel club breeder in the borders. 

He is starting to look like a real Westie now rather than a pup but I think still has a wee bit of growing to do.

IMG_6177 (3).jpeg

Hahaha

Cheers for the info mate.

CavySlaveJambo

This is my little demon. Lovable demon. 

He is now three and a half. Recently moved out of his crate to being in the bedroom with a camera.  Loves HIS Guinea Pigs. Loves Scentwork. And doggy school. 

You should hear him when we go to Doggy School. 

Anyway he is a miniature poodle. And someone gave him a baby bouncer the other week and he loves it

0DDD6CEE-9A75-4276-8A0E-1B2403006311.jpeg

11 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Well after the drive down to Cardiff yesterday to collect our rescue dog, we are all back home again. 

The wee soul really is a bit scared and nervous but she did well on the drive home and is already starting to settle into the house. 

She is currently lying sound asleep in her bed with some fluffy toys. Her snoring is louder than mine apparently. 

I have been in tears a few times today when I think of how she was treated during her first four years of life, but we will make the rest of her life extra special. 

Merry Christmas to you all.

Lovely story. And im sure she will give you a lot of pleasure and love in return

Hadn’t seen this thread til now. Absolutely would not be here now if it wasn’t for my 5 n a half year old part collie , part spaniel , maybe part lab definitely part idiot pup. She’s seen me through some very very hard times mentally the last three years. Got her at age 1 n a couple of weeks. She’d been in a house with children with learning difficulties and a couple who thought throwing a bottle at each other was how to converse. Add to that she had been taken away from her parents at 5/6weeks and she was a bit of a mess. First time i took her to Aberdeen beach and braved letting her off she wouldn’t go within 5ft of a human (myself and my pal included). It took us 2 and a half hours to catch her. Shat n pissed everywhere if you left her for five minutes and barked the house down if you left her in the house. She’d last 15minutes then it was constant barking until you got home. Fast forward four and a half years and now i’m the one who is lost when she’s not with me. Even when i leave her with my partner to come down for games or to see people , im straight on the phone and ask if she is ok before my mrs. Cleo will hear a car outside the mrs and turn and stare at the door expectantly waiting for me to come back. As i said the struggles of the last three years she has been beside me all the way never a thought who her hooman is and the loyalty and love as you’d expect from a dog. Absolutely love her to bits , she’s an ansolute character also. My mate is of the opinion if i ever breed her he’s having one of her pups as she is the best dog ever. Sentiments I obviously agree with. 

2EF89201-B317-4B12-A4FB-C27FBE830A75.jpeg

332D8AEB-37C3-40E7-8128-360C020C2FDE.jpeg

C78C9C83-AD30-4813-A156-4ADF3318B542.jpeg

6052348B-692C-448B-8F16-EA001C353CAF.jpeg

EC52AEC7-CEC7-4817-9A5F-5405FC58D5D4.jpeg

A102B642-835C-46BD-940D-6D3D0591B1BF.jpeg

19 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Well after the drive down to Cardiff yesterday to collect our rescue dog, we are all back home again. 

The wee soul really is a bit scared and nervous but she did well on the drive home and is already starting to settle into the house. 

She is currently lying sound asleep in her bed with some fluffy toys. Her snoring is louder than mine apparently. 

I have been in tears a few times today when I think of how she was treated during her first four years of life, but we will make the rest of her life extra special. 

There is nothing like the attachment of a pet is there and even if you know they are safe now with you it breaks you knowing what they have experienced. She is now in a great place and will thrive though Jonno. My friend got a rescue dog from Greece. He had been thrown out a car window and she rehomed him. He wouldn’t go near anyone and now he’s the life and soul of the party. The sense of happiness she has from knowing he is safe and he has someone to love him is incredible.

Merry Christmas 🤘🏻

Dagger Is Back
21 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

That’s a lovely story my friend. She’s a lucky dog to have found such a caring owner

2 hours ago, sadj said:

Hadn’t seen this thread til now. Absolutely would not be here now if it wasn’t for my 5 n a half year old part collie , part spaniel , maybe part lab definitely part idiot pup. She’s seen me through some very very hard times mentally the last three years. Got her at age 1 n a couple of weeks. She’d been in a house with children with learning difficulties and a couple who thought throwing a bottle at each other was how to converse. Add to that she had been taken away from her parents at 5/6weeks and she was a bit of a mess. First time i took her to Aberdeen beach and braved letting her off she wouldn’t go within 5ft of a human (myself and my pal included). It took us 2 and a half hours to catch her. Shat n pissed everywhere if you left her for five minutes and barked the house down if you left her in the house. She’d last 15minutes then it was constant barking until you got home. Fast forward four and a half years and now i’m the one who is lost when she’s not with me. Even when i leave her with my partner to come down for games or to see people , im straight on the phone and ask if she is ok before my mrs. Cleo will hear a car outside the mrs and turn and stare at the door expectantly waiting for me to come back. As i said the struggles of the last three years she has been beside me all the way never a thought who her hooman is and the loyalty and love as you’d expect from a dog. Absolutely love her to bits , she’s an ansolute character also. My mate is of the opinion if i ever breed her he’s having one of her pups as she is the best dog ever. Sentiments I obviously agree with. 

2EF89201-B317-4B12-A4FB-C27FBE830A75.jpeg

332D8AEB-37C3-40E7-8128-360C020C2FDE.jpeg

C78C9C83-AD30-4813-A156-4ADF3318B542.jpeg

6052348B-692C-448B-8F16-EA001C353CAF.jpeg

EC52AEC7-CEC7-4817-9A5F-5405FC58D5D4.jpeg

A102B642-835C-46BD-940D-6D3D0591B1BF.jpeg

👏 another lovely story. The level of trust you’ve built up with her is amazing 

I miss my Skye so much. We had to say cheerio 9 weeks ago and today would have been her 12th birthday.

I still talk to her ashes and cry every day.

The OPs story though reminds me of the day our friend arrived to cook for us. It was our anniversary and she was doing the whole Mexican bit

We were in the kitchen having a beer and a blether when we heard a clatter from the dining room

There was Skye up on her back legs, nose in the grated cheese for the Fajitas!!

Didn’t have the heart to bawl her out though as she just sat there licking her chops with a great big smile on her face

11 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

That’s a lovely story my friend. She’s a lucky dog to have found such a caring owner

👏 another lovely story. The level of trust you’ve built up with her is amazing 

I miss my Skye so much. We had to say cheerio 9 weeks ago and today would have been her 12th birthday.

I still talk to her ashes and cry every day.

The OPs story though reminds me of the day our friend arrived to cook for us. It was our anniversary and she was doing the whole Mexican bit

We were in the kitchen having a beer and a blether when we heard a clatter from the dining room

There was Skye up on her back legs, nose in the grated cheese for the Fajitas!!

Didn’t have the heart to bawl her out though as she just sat there licking her chops with a great big smile on her face

my mate lost her dog last year and had a statue made of him as an urn that she keeps in the living room. Shes only just got a pup now as obv no one can replace him but the company she missed so badly. Losing them is the worst thought isnt it. 

haha yh was thinking about Rons story , reminded me of Cleo , cheat day pizza on the kitchen counter go to the gym come back and Shes managed to get into the kitchen (no mean feat) got up on the counter and eaten the pizzas leaving the boxes on the counter. Come home question her and she just looks at you as if its my fault for not giving her the pizzas in the first place. They are amazing animals. Whenever Av stays I usually end up booted to the couch because she’ll go to bed then Cleo will sneak under the covers and ill come through to Av out cold and Cleo head on the pillow paws over the duvet on her back snoring away....Nothing better than a pup with a character like Cleo , Skye etc

Edited by sadj

30 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Cheers sadj. 

Our wee dog has settled in pretty well even this early, but it's one day at a time. 

Merry Christmas 👍

👌🏻👍🏻

1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

What a beautiful dog. Sounds like your Mrs knows her place too :lol:

She’s amazing. Proper knows it too she’s a wee spoilt hussie. 😂 haha aye its a bone of contention (pardon the pun) that the dog comes before anyone and anything 😂

16 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Lots of presents for Ziggy, I bet. What a beauty !

He’s good as gold Jonno. Struck proper lucky. 

Some lovely stories on this thread. It’s amazing how much our 4 legged friends affect us in such a positive way.

Like many in here my life has been transformed from having mine in my life. They are always capable of adding something new to the story....

We got back from a family early Christmas trip with my brother, his family and their Lab.

I was up first on the first morning shortly before my brother got up. His Lab was behaving very strangely and certainly had the “guilty” look to him. We searched the house in case he had spewed anything up but found nothing?

After lunch I was sorting through my ingredients for the curries i offered to cook that evening. No sweet potatoes? Sure I packed them? Assuming I forgot them I nipped into town to buy some more.

Later that day we took both dogs for a good long walk when soon enough mine dropped to squat. Bright orange turd alert!!

So the sweet potatoes had been shared out as a midnight snack between Lab and Spaniel 👍

I new I had packed them!!!!

On 21/12/2019 at 20:34, jonnothejambo said:

Lovely reading this 👍

4 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Some lovely stories on this thread. It’s amazing how much our 4 legged friends affect us in such a positive way.

Like many in here my life has been transformed from having mine in my life. They are always capable of adding something new to the story....

We got back from a family early Christmas trip with my brother, his family and their Lab.

I was up first on the first morning shortly before my brother got up. His Lab was behaving very strangely and certainly had the “guilty” look to him. We searched the house in case he had spewed anything up but found nothing?

After lunch I was sorting through my ingredients for the curries i offered to cook that evening. No sweet potatoes? Sure I packed them? Assuming I forgot them I nipped into town to buy some more.

Later that day we took both dogs for a good long walk when soon enough mine dropped to squat. Bright orange turd alert!!

So the sweet potatoes had been shared out as a midnight snack between Lab and Spaniel 👍

I new I had packed them!!!!

I’ll never look a sweet potato in the face again without thinking of orange turds!  :rofl:

31 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I’ll never look a sweet potato in the face again without thinking of orange turds!  :rofl:

If I hadn’t swore blind to myself I had packed the sweet potatoes and subsequently went out and bought replacements, I would never have thought dogs would eat them.

The realisation of what must have went on during the night and confirmation I wasn’t going mad was palpable. 

The pissing ourselves laughing at a bright orange turd made our day 👍

1 hour ago, Vlad Magic said:

If I hadn’t swore blind to myself I had packed the sweet potatoes and subsequently went out and bought replacements, I would never have thought dogs would eat them.

The realisation of what must have went on during the night and confirmation I wasn’t going mad was palpable. 

The pissing ourselves laughing at a bright orange turd made our day 👍

We used fill those Kong things with sweet potato then freeze them. The dogs loved them. 

I adopted a 6 year old dog from a shelter back in July. We had some initial issues but sh'es now a part of the family. We know little of her prior history but it looked to us as if she had been abused.

Was nervous with her tail between her legs a lot and cowered away if you tried to give her a pat on the head. To me a classic sign that some ******* has been abusing her.

At first she was so nervous she was scared to even go outside for toilet duties. She spent most of her day hiding under a bed. We had to put down puppy pads and that lasted around 3-4 weeks before she started having the confidence just to go outside into the garden and poop there. The puppy pads are no longer needed and we now have a normal dog.

Allie.jpg

5 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I adopted a 6 year old dog from a shelter back in July. We had some initial issues but sh'es now a part of the family. We know little of her prior history but it looked to us as if she had been abused.

Was nervous with her tail between her legs a lot and cowered away if you tried to give her a pat on the head. To me a classic sign that some ******* has been abusing her.

At first she was so nervous she was scared to even go outside for toilet duties. She spent most of her day hiding under a bed. We had to put down puppy pads and that lasted around 3-4 weeks before she started having the confidence just to go outside into the garden and poop there. The puppy pads are no longer needed and we now have a normal dog.

Allie.jpg

Lovely story. Well the ending is. That is one happy dog bud. You can just tell by the face 👍👍

I've grown up with dogs and some of the hardest moments in life have involved them. I will never forget the day my Gran passed at the Western, my auldman giving it big licks about how her dog wasn't coming to stay with us and my Gran on her deathbed starting to make angry grunting sounds 😆. Once we had said our goodbyes to my Gran my brother went straight to her house to collect the dog, "he's not getting a f*****g choice, Jet comes with us" says the bold brother. Months later my auldman and the dog are curled up on the couch constantly. It was the first time I had ever seen my Dad cry when the vet told us the time had come to put the dog to sleep, and even though it hurt **** to watch (I'm starting to get welled up thinking about it) I made the promise to the dog I would be there to the end with him as he was for my wee Gran. 

So for all you guys that are lucky enough to have a dog, please make sure when that time comes you stay with them to the last breath, it's the least they deserve.

And for those that have suffered the pain of loosing a dog, please don't say "never again", the joy outweighs the hurt and there are so many dogs waiting for a good loving home. 

dac6b1ca4c39d8022f82c6ca09788072.png

12 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Lovely story. Well the ending is. That is one happy dog bud. You can just tell by the face 👍👍

Just takes time and patience with a dog like that. Had to avoid any sudden movements or unexpected remotely loud sounds such as even just laughing out loud. She was so easily spooked and would run straight under the bed.

Took months to have a normally functioning dog but we got there and it is a delight to see her with a smile on her face and inviting a pat on the head rather than cowering away from it. 

1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

Just takes time and patience with a dog like that. Had to avoid any sudden movements or unexpected remotely loud sounds such as even just laughing out loud. She was so easily spooked and would run straight under the bed.

Took months to have a normally functioning dog but we got there and it is a delight to see her with a smile on her face and inviting a pat on the head rather than cowering away from it. 

Yup she’s had a hard start in life. It’s obvious she can enjoy a very different and more enjoyable rest of life 👍

Respect for making the difference 👍

Dagger Is Back
4 hours ago, Fraggle said:

I've grown up with dogs and some of the hardest moments in life have involved them. I will never forget the day my Gran passed at the Western, my auldman giving it big licks about how her dog wasn't coming to stay with us and my Gran on her deathbed starting to make angry grunting sounds 😆. Once we had said our goodbyes to my Gran my brother went straight to her house to collect the dog, "he's not getting a f*****g choice, Jet comes with us" says the bold brother. Months later my auldman and the dog are curled up on the couch constantly. It was the first time I had ever seen my Dad cry when the vet told us the time had come to put the dog to sleep, and even though it hurt **** to watch (I'm starting to get welled up thinking about it) I made the promise to the dog I would be there to the end with him as he was for my wee Gran. 

So for all you guys that are lucky enough to have a dog, please make sure when that time comes you stay with them to the last breath, it's the least they deserve.

And for those that have suffered the pain of loosing a dog, please don't say "never again", the joy outweighs the hurt and there are so many dogs waiting for a good loving home. 

dac6b1ca4c39d8022f82c6ca09788072.png

That’s beautiful 😢

4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

That's awesome man. Just like reading the Dodo bulletins on FB. 

Yes indeed, who could have imagined some tens of thousands of years ago when humans first began transforming wolves into dogs what would become of it.

On 21/12/2019 at 21:34, jonnothejambo said:

Dude, that's fricking awesome as well. You can tell a lot about a person on how they treat dogs (and just about any animal), and I am happy to see there are plenty good folks on here. Dogs save us from ourselves.

Though I have a wee confession to make ... Given current circumstances dictate that I can't have a dog, I am kinda sleeping with the enemy (literally 😆) ..... 

IMG_20181027_170714_resized_20191223_111009853.jpg

IMG_20181027_170527_resized_20191223_111009591.jpg

2 minutes ago, Fraggle said:

Dude, that's fricking awesome as well. You can tell a lot about a person on how they treat dogs (and just about any animal), and I am happy to see there are plenty good folks on here. Dogs save us from ourselves.

Though I have a wee confession to make ... Given current circumstances dictate that I can't have a dog, I am kinda sleeping with the enemy (literally 😆) ..... 

IMG_20181027_170714_resized_20191223_111009853.jpg

IMG_20181027_170527_resized_20191223_111009591.jpg

Cats in general are definitely not like dogs. It often feels like they don't actually live with you, rather they tolerate you living with them provided you do your job of not being too pesky.

A predator that may eat you if you shrunk down to a decent bite size. Though in saying that they just like the dogs have thousands of years of living with humans behind them. And there are videos all over youtube of people bonding with big cats who actually could kill them with a single stroke and surviving.

And just in passing one little feature of dogs I will point out to you all in case you didn't know this. A dog is the only animal known to us who understands the human pointing gesture.

A dog will look where you are pointing, he gets what that means. Nothing else does that. Not even chimps.

6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Cats in general are definitely not like dogs. It often feels like they don't actually live with you, rather they tolerate you living with them provided you do your job of not being too pesky.

A predator that may eat you if you shrunk down to a decent bite size. Though in saying that they just like the dogs have thousands of years of living with humans behind them. And there are videos all over youtube of people bonding with big cats who actually could kill them with a single stroke and surviving.

And just in passing one little feature of dogs I will point out to you all in case you didn't know this. A dog is the only animal known to us who understands the human pointing gesture.

A dog will look where you are pointing, he gets what that means. Nothing else does that. Not even chimps.

Dogs have Masters, Cats have Staff. :D Love that wee view of the world of pets. 

13 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Dogs have Masters, Cats have Staff. :D Love that wee view of the world of pets. 

Dogs can be crafty too. They just let you think you're in charge while devising ploys to get exactly what they want when they want it. Had one years ago who was resistant to training, just couldn't be bothered with it.

He then developed this weird habit when he wanted to go out. Instead of sitting at the door which led outside he would sit at an inside door to a small room where we kept a washing machine and a dryer.

I eventually concluded he was just an idiot of a dog and I would just have to live with his stupidity. Felt sorry for his retardation and started giving him a treat when he sat at the wrong door before letting him out.

Then one day a visiting child says to me why do you give him a treat for sitting at the wrong door. I replies well he's just a bit of an idiot but we still love him anyway so I humour his idiocy.

The child then says, but if he sits at the right door he will just get out and if he sits at the wrong door he will get a treat and still get out. I looked at the dog with his stupid gaze. Began to wonder if it was all an act. Was he actually an Einstein of a dog playing me like a fiddle.

6 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Dogs can be crafty too. They just let you think you're in charge while devising ploys to get exactly what they want when they want it. Had one years ago who was resistant to training, just couldn't be bothered with it.

He then developed this weird habit when he wanted to go out. Instead of sitting at the door which led outside he would sit at an inside door to a small room where we kept a washing machine and a dryer.

I eventually concluded he was just an idiot of a dog and I would just have to live with his stupidity. Felt sorry for his retardation and started giving him a treat when he sat at the wrong door before letting him out.

Then one day a visiting child says to me why do you give him a treat for sitting at the wrong door. I replies well he's just a bit of an idiot but we still love him anyway so I humour his idiocy.

The child then says, but if he sits at the right door he will just get out and if he sits at the wrong door he will get a treat and still get out. I looked at the dog with his stupid gaze. Began to wonder if it was all an act. Was he actually an Einstein of a dog playing me like a fiddle.

They're not daft. They're all there and round the corner. A dog's philosophy is 'Why keep a dog and bark yourself"

CavySlaveJambo
On 22/12/2019 at 18:42, sadj said:

Losing them is the worst thought isnt it. 

Not Fro, because he is still young, but I fear losing him every day.  But I also have 5 year old (aka SENIOR) guinea pigs, who I am expecting to find no longer with us, every single day. 

On 23/12/2019 at 16:41, JFK-1 said:

Allie.jpg

Love that smile 👌🏻

CavySlaveJambo

My dog is so silly. Very clever but silly. 

He wanted to see the piglets so I moved the grooming table across so he could sit on it. He climbed in to the pig cage twice and tried a third time and got a certain manpart stuck... 

Dogs. 

Enjoy those beautiful dogs while you can.  I lost min a couple of weeks before xmas and I'm still shattered.  Never felt as bad as this in my life.  Just under ten years together.  Only spent one whole day away from him in that time and only woke up five mornings without him.  Folk say coming home to an empty house is one of the things that takes a while to get used to.  Mine went everywhere with me so he always came home with me.  There is no way I can ever get another one.  I can never go through this again.  Absolutely gutted.  

1 hour ago, FruitJuice said:

This is what I'm missing. Screenshot_20191230-021629_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3127c2777afeca4a47fc9ecdfe5fe29e.jpg

I don't know if you noticed my post above with a 6 year old dog we adopted from a shelter back in July this year. A year prior to that we lost our 12 year old dog Gertrude and it took a year before we could think of having another.

I almost said it took us a year to get over it, you never get over it. You simply adapt to the pain of the loss and can eventually move on. People who haven't experienced this type of loss just don't grasp it's like a family bereavement. My sympathies.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

I don't know if you noticed my post above with a 6 year old dog we adopted from a shelter back in July this year. A year prior to that we lost our 12 year old dog Gertrude and it took a year before we could think of having another.

I almost said it took us a year to get over it, you never get over it. You simply adapt to the pain of the loss and can eventually move on. People who haven't experienced this type of loss just don't grasp it's like a family bereavement. My sympathies.

I've never felt anything like this.  Definitely never felt flatter.  Walked him about 5 miles a day for nearly ten year but I think I've only crossed the door about three times since.  I'll get there but right now it's pretty brutal.  Thanks

Dagger Is Back
9 hours ago, FruitJuice said:

Enjoy those beautiful dogs while you can.  I lost min a couple of weeks before xmas and I'm still shattered.  Never felt as bad as this in my life.  Just under ten years together.  Only spent one whole day away from him in that time and only woke up five mornings without him.  Folk say coming home to an empty house is one of the things that takes a while to get used to.  Mine went everywhere with me so he always came home with me.  There is no way I can ever get another one.  I can never go through this again.  Absolutely gutted.  

I really feel your pain. What a lovely looking dog. Sounds like you gave him and he gave you, so much love.

We lost our Skye on 18 October, she would have been 12 on 22 December. 

Still cry every day and still talk to her every day. Like you, never had a feeling like this despite having 3 cats years ago that I lost, going through a divorce etc

I’m so sorry for you loss.

1 hour ago, Dagger Is Back said:

I really feel your pain. What a lovely looking dog. Sounds like you gave him and he gave you, so much love.

We lost our Skye on 18 October, she would have been 12 on 22 December. 

Still cry every day and still talk to her every day. Like you, never had a feeling like this despite having 3 cats years ago that I lost, going through a divorce etc

I’m so sorry for you loss.

Really pleased to hear someone else say that they cry everyday because of it.  The only upside of feeling this way is that I never knew how much love you can feel for something.  

The real good thing is that from the day I got him until the night before he passed away, took him everywhere and gave him everything.  What a loss though.  

Great the night before.  Got up and he couldn't move.  Took him to the vet and within an hour and a half, I was back home and he was gone.

Shattered.

10 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Agreed , my last collie made it to 18 but we had to put her down as her back end went. Still have a pic of her in my wallet. You really don’t ever get over  it.

25 minutes ago, sadj said:

Agreed , my last collie made it to 18 but we had to put her down as her back end went. Still have a pic of her in my wallet. You really don’t ever get over  it.

Its reassuring to know reading this that there isn't something wrong with my emotions.  I thought there was something wrong feeling this way for so long.  

Just to day sadj that after seeing the pics of you with your dog and seeing that you are built like a semi professional grouse beater, I will be agreeing with everything you say when it comes to Hearts...  

9 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

Its reassuring to know reading this that there isn't something wrong with my emotions.  I thought there was something wrong feeling this way for so long.  

Just to day sadj that after seeing the pics of you with your dog and seeing that you are built like a semi professional grouse beater, I will be agreeing with everything you say when it comes to Hearts...  

hahaha ended 😂 im a big softie mate. Na absolutely nothing wrong with your emotions , dogs are a part of your family sometimes closer than your closest hooman. Entirely natural to feel that pain even after a long time. Took me 2/3 years to be able to get Cleo after Sal passed. 

My auld lady is still kicking about. She’s a few years past her sell by date for a Staffie tbh, almost 14. 

She’s so friendly and tolerant. She’s been used as a horse by the kids, dressed up, chased about, jumped on.. never even a growl. Put another dog within 5 metres of her, doesn’t matter if it’s a Rottweiler or a Mastiff, she’d take it on. I’ve never understood why she doesn’t get on with other dogs but loves humans 🤷🏼‍♂️

96B2E2B3-97E5-43A1-B2E5-3FD4BD653F78.thumb.jpeg.c17e4a56185235d727f460988079018e.jpeg3ABA319D-B922-4281-A667-D987F77B9191.thumb.jpeg.37b7a3d7535b6fde06aa343bf9029912.jpegB6121184-E481-483A-94CE-453BFA9C54DB.thumb.jpeg.7198cac300b8616d54acfa041b6107fe.jpeg

1 hour ago, FruitJuice said:

It took months before I stopped thinking about her throughout the day every day. And every time I though about her I became tearful. There was some guilt in it. She had been sick and not eating for weeks before I gathered the strength to let her go. She needlessly suffered because I couldn't let go.

It takes time but the pain eases.

12 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

It took months before I stopped thinking about her throughout the day every day. And every time I though about her I became tearful. There was some guilt in it. She had been sick and not eating for weeks before I gathered the strength to let her go. She needlessly suffered because I couldn't let go.

It takes time but the pain eases.

The only good bit was how quick it was. From playing dug of war the night before to waking up and gone in an hour and a half.   Did you have long periods without getting another one and how did you feel about walking without them? I'm surrounded by mountains, lochs and coastline but walking there without him feels pointless.  The main thing I have learned from this is knowing that you can feel this much love for something.

It is getting better with the day still peppered with tears etc.  The memories are immense...

Thanks for the reassurance.