50TH Anniversary Of Apollo 11.

maroonlegions

10 hours ago, H2 said:

How disrespectful. Your not in my camp so I'll call you names. Isn't that bullying?

Stating facts might be a bit blunt or lacking in tact. Hardly bullying though.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Space Mackerel

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• ri Alban

7 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Stating facts might be a bit blunt or lacking in tact. Hardly bullying though.

Calling people names is bullying, It will inhibit some from stating an alternative point of view.

What you think is "fact" others are allowed to disagree. Some people believe God is fact, others don't, would you treat either of them with the same disrespect?

16 hours ago, graygo said:

John Glenn maybe?

A distant relative of mine and another poster on here who has a Russian kind of username that sounds like Doris.

Eh?

davemclaren
16 minutes ago, Boris said:

Eh?

Was your mum in Florida for a holiday about 9 months before you were born? :pimp2:

When I was in Moscow I went to the museum of casmonautics, had some amazing items in there!  This one made me chuckle though.

Screenshot_2019-07-18-10-00-30.jpg

Screenshot_2019-07-18-10-00-23.jpg

2 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

When I was in Moscow I went to the museum of casmonautics, had some amazing items in there!  This one made me chuckle though.

It's always annoyed me a little that we always refer to astronauts, and not cosmonauts.  Especially given the cosmonauts were first.

Image result for gagarin

been here before
1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

No doubt. My most vivid ever dream, I was travelling to the moon. Back in real life, I'm 6'6" and never had a chance to fit in a spacecraft. :lol:

But then at 6'6" you're closer to the moon than an awful lot of other people.

Its all relative.

Edited by been here before

Have a look at the speech Nixon had ready to give if they didn't make it back. Shows that despite all their work, they still had legitimate concerns they could die up there. 

Ffs, imagine that. Looking back at the Earth knowing your never set foot on it again. Your only options bring starve to death or open up the suit and suffocate. Jesus. 

1 hour ago, trotter said:

Have a look at the speech Nixon had ready to give if they didn't make it back. Shows that despite all their work, they still had legitimate concerns they could die up there. 

Ffs, imagine that. Looking back at the Earth knowing your never set foot on it again. Your only options bring starve to death or open up the suit and suffocate. Jesus. 

Did they not have a pill, just in case.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Did they not have a pill, just in case.

I think NASA has said they never gave pills to their astronauts. 

1 hour ago, Cigaro said:

Pills aren't necessary.  If rescue was impossible, and death inevitable, all an astronaut would need to do would be to turn down his oxygen to a very low level.  He would slide slowly into unconsciousness, then die. It would be an easy, painless death, just like dying in one's sleep.

1 hour ago, Cigaro said:

37 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Pills aren't necessary.  If rescue was impossible, and death inevitable, all an astronaut would need to do would be to turn down his oxygen to a very low level.  He would slide slowly into unconsciousness, then die. It would be an easy, painless death, just like dying in one's sleep.

👍 Both.

7 hours ago, H2 said:

Calling people names is bullying, It will inhibit some from stating an alternative point of view.

What you think is "fact" others are allowed to disagree. Some people believe God is fact, others don't, would you treat either of them with the same disrespect?

Facts are facts, not opinions.  It was a fact that they went to the moon.

1 hour ago, Gards said:

We live in a funny old world.

If you relate the story of Creation from the Bible, with the universe being created from scratch in 6 days, God creating Adam from dust, creating Eve from one of Adam's ribs, a talking snake tempting Eve to eat fruit from a forbidden tree, billions of people will nod their head and say, "Yup, sounds right to me."

But if you say that humans went to the moon, and provide evidence through photographs, videos, examples of the equipment used, unlimited eye-witness accounts and mountains of documentation, many of those same people will say, "Nah, sounds like an invented story to me."

Strange, huh?

Riddley Walker
On 17/07/2019 at 18:31, The Mighty Thor said:

That's one bit I struggle to reconcile. The Van Allen belt radiation is lethal to man. 

Its also remarkable how far behind the Americans were compared to the Russians in terms of rocketry and launching into lower orbit but they managed to turn it around in 4 years.

I'm away to get the tin foil oot :conspiracy:

The stuff about the Van Allen belt being lethal to astronauts passing through is a total myth. The time it takes a person to pass through would give an astronaut about the same dose of radiation as an x-ray.

3 hours ago, Gards said:

It may or may not be a fact, that is not the issue, it does not excuse anyone from being disrespectful to someone else and calling them names because they disagree with what you regard is a fact.

been here before
33 minutes ago, H2 said:

It may or may not be a fact, that is not the issue, it does not excuse anyone from being disrespectful to someone else and calling them names because they disagree with what you regard is a fact.

FACT

2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

If you relate the story of Creation from the Bible, with the universe being created from scratch in 6 days, God creating Adam from dust, creating Eve from one of Adam's ribs, a talking snake tempting Eve to eat fruit from a forbidden tree, billions of people will nod their head and say, "Yup, sounds right to me."

But if you say that humans went to the moon, and provide evidence through photographs, videos, examples of the equipment used, unlimited eye-witness accounts and mountains of documentation, many of those same people will say, "Nah, sounds like an invented story to me."

Strange, huh?

It's a weird weird world we live in mate.

49 minutes ago, H2 said:

No - it is a fact.  It's not an alternative fact, it's not an opinion, it's not a belief.  It's a fact.

And if people don't get that then they go in the same category as the flat earthers and others who refuse to believe in a factually proven scenario. So I will call them out on that.  If they get offended by that, that's their problem, not mine.

1 hour ago, Gards said:

No - it is a fact.  It's not an alternative fact, it's not an opinion, it's not a belief.  It's a fact.

And if people don't get that then they go in the same category as the flat earthers and others who refuse to believe in a factually proven scenario. So I will call them out on that.  If they get offended by that, that's their problem, not mine.

:greatpost:

4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Strange, huh?

That's very unfair.

11 hours ago, been here before said:

FACT

I am not disputing anyones' views on whether it is a fact or not, the point is that because when someone does not agree with what you believe is a fact, does not give anyone the right to be derogatory, insulting or inhibit them.  

10 hours ago, Gards said:

Your view or belief on what is a fact or not still does not give you the right to be derogatory, insulting or to inhibit anyone's differing perspective.

1 hour ago, H2 said:

Your view or belief on what is a fact or not still does not give you the right to be derogatory, insulting or to inhibit anyone's differing perspective.

I also have the right to put you on ignore - so cheers for that.

Jambo-Jimbo

If the moon landings were all 'fake news' then why have the Russians said nothing for all these years.

I find it hard to believe that some folks honestly think that at the height of the 'cold war', at the height of the 'space race', a race which Russia had led for most of that decade, that Moscow would pass up on the chance of claiming the mother of all propaganda coups by not exposing the landings as fake.

I think most people forget that Apollo 11 wasn't alone up there at that time, Luna 15 a Russian unmanned spacecraft was also in moon orbit at exactly the same time as Apollo 11, it's mission was to land on the moon, scoop up some soil and return to Earth before Apollo 11 did, but Luna 15 crashed into the moon the day after the moon landing, the point is though, the Russian's were also up there at the same time as Apollo 11 was, so if the landings hadn't happened then I'd think the Russians would know about it.

46 minutes ago, Gards said:

I also have the right to put you on ignore - so cheers for that.

You certainly have, I hope that means you get the point.

6 hours ago, H2 said:

"The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!" - Dr Brian Cox

19 hours ago, Justin Z said:

"The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!" - Dr Brian Cox

I'm no professor, but that does not seem to translate into what has been happening here, or are you saying you interpret that statement to say it is ok to call people derogatory names, insult and bully them? 

So back on topic after it was so rudely de-railed.  Have loved watching all the TV documentaries on the landings.  However best for me has been CNN Films "Apollo 11". 

All footage completely restored and looks like it was just filmed yesterday.  Also no underlying commentary, just all the sounds and transmissions from the time.

Recommend to anyone who is interested the landings. 

And let's not forget, there were 5 more landings subsequent to this one...incredible.

Edited by Gards

William H. Bonney
On 17/07/2019 at 15:18, been here before said:

Other than being reflected in Buzz Aldrins visor, there are no photographs of Neil Armstrong on the moon.

I only found that out the other day.

438ED362-AE5A-4D3A-8507-DD383C919C50.jpeg

I’m not disputing the moon landings but there are a few things I don’t understand.

How did the flag flap about when there was no wind?

Who was filming the two astronauts as they walked about on the moon?

Bindy Badgy

The effect of radiation on Apollo astronauts that went to the moon has been studied. It does appear to increase the risk of certain illnesses but, it isn't going to kill you in the short term.

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep29901

Results show there were no differences in CVD mortality rate between non-flight (9%) and LEO (11%) astronauts. However, the CVD mortality rate among Apollo lunar astronauts (43%) was 4–5 times higher than in non-flight and LEO astronauts.

The study only looked at deceased astronauts so the sample size of astronauts that went to the moon was only seven at the time. Whether or not you can draw any conclusions from a study with a sample size that small is debatable.

Edited by Stokesy

1 hour ago, Cygnet said:

I’m not disputing the moon landings but there are a few things I don’t understand.

The flag isn't flapping.  There was some movement as they were putting it into the moon surface but it was flapping.

When Armstrong came out, he placed a camera quite some way from the lander pointing towards it.  So that's how you see the two astronauts in the same shot.  Basically a remote camera.

1 hour ago, Cygnet said:

The flag didn't flap about. 

It was crinkled because it was made of plastic and not cloth and had been rolled up.

The metal rod running across the top of the flag to hold it out wobbled and this, added to the already crinkled flag, makes people think the flag was waving about.

Besides, if the moon landings had been filmed in a studio, how much wind is in studios and how would they make such a basic error?

The footage of Artmstrong coming down the ladder was filmed by a TV camera that popped out of the side of the lander.

The rest of the footage was filmed by tripod mounted cameras that Armstrong and Aldrin placed around the landing site.

7 minutes ago, Cade said:

The flag didn't flap about. 

It was crinkled because it was made of plastic and not cloth and had been rolled up.

The metal rod running across the top of the flag to hold it out wobbled and this, added to the already crinkled flag, makes people think the flag was waving about.

Besides, if the moon landings had been filmed in a studio, how much wind is in studios and how would they make such a basic error?

The footage of Artmstrong coming down the ladder was filmed by a TV camera that popped out of the side of the lander.

The rest of the footage was filmed by tripod mounted cameras that Armstrong and Aldrin placed around the landing site.

Also, the reason there is such a massive difference in quality between the TV pictures and other footage we see is that they did indeed *film* footage in addition to the TV broadcast back to Earth--they then brought the film back with them. There's technical details about this somewhere on the internet and the way they managed to send enough bandwidth back to Earth was a pretty remarkable feat.

Edited by Justin Z

been here before
2 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

438ED362-AE5A-4D3A-8507-DD383C919C50.jpeg

Thats a cropped version taken from a much larger landscape picture and could be anyone in all honesty.

20190720_125448.jpg.d79a117379e8efb4cb2f55f61e0b53fb.jpg

If I were the first man on the moon Id be justifiably pissed of theres not one photograph documenting that fact other than as an aside in some picture if the American flag.

Compare that to some of the pictures Armstrong took of Aldrin.

3 hours ago, H2 said:

I'm no professor, but that does not seem to translate into what has been happening here, or are you saying you interpret that statement to say it is ok to call people derogatory names, insult and bully them? 

It's an American thing, just look at the President.

Bridge of Djoum
On 18/07/2019 at 05:50, been here before said:

But then at 6'6" you're closer to the moon than an awful lot of other people.

Its all relative.

Justin is closer to the moon in many ways.

:whistling:

William H. Bonney
2 hours ago, been here before said:

Thats a cropped version taken from a much larger landscape picture and could be anyone in all honesty.

20190720_125448.jpg.d79a117379e8efb4cb2f55f61e0b53fb.jpg

If I were the first man on the moon Id be justifiably pissed of theres not one photograph documenting that fact other than as an aside in some picture if the American flag.

Compare that to some of the pictures Armstrong took of Aldrin.

True, but Armstrong had one of the most famous quotes in history so I’m sure that made up for the lack of moon selfies. 

32 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Justin is closer to the moon in many ways.

:whistling:

:lol: True though

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

It's an American thing, just look at the President.

D'aww, did aussie's feewings get hurt in the other thread? 😅 Wee lamb. Speaking of course of the thread where you completely missed the point of my post about the civil service then called me delusional in response. :rofl: Surely the irony of you comparing me to a racist president on the basis of my rough treatment of literal moonbats has not evaded you. :wink:

As for you, @H2, yes, people who espouse stupid ideas that in no way comport with reality can and should be called out, and everyone absolutely has the right, a word you seem oddly focused on, to do so. What a dangerous and stupid idea that anyone can hold any opinion and it can go unchallenged, or in your words, that we shouldn't "inhibit [their] different perspective". Yes, we absolutely should go to every effort to demonstrate nonsense for what it is. Die mad about it, or better yet, get over it and stop derailing the thread.

Edited by Justin Z
Edited because English is hard