50TH Anniversary Of Apollo 11.

maroonlegions

I read a thing today about the problems in going to the toilet in space. It mentioned that Buzz Aldrin was the 2nd man to walk on the moon but the first to have a piss. In his spacesuit.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Space Mackerel

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• ri Alban

34 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Die mad about it, or better yet, get over it and stop derailing the thread.

Not one of my posts has any intention on any derailment, merely to challenge inappropriate name calling that some choose to challenge. You of course have the right to continue this as long as you so choose.

I just watched Buzz Aldrin being interviewed on CNN this morning. It showed a 2002 clip of him at a function, at the door a pretty big guy came up said Aldrin was a liar and a coward I guess asserting that the walk didn't happen. Aldrin hit him with a beautiful right hook, that was all they filmed.

7 hours ago, Cygnet said:

I’m not disputing the moon landings but there are a few things I don’t understand.

How did the flag flap about when there was no wind?

Who was filming the two astronauts as they walked about on the moon?

The flag was motionless.

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

I read a thing today about the problems in going to the toilet in space. It mentioned that Buzz Aldrin was the 2nd man to walk on the moon but the first to have a piss. In his spacesuit.

After they got back to earth, the first thing they did was to remove their heavily-laden diapers (nappies) and have a very long shower. That's all part of the glamour of space travel!

52 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

The flag was motionless.

Not in the videos I’ve watched. 👍

9 minutes ago, Cygnet said:

Not in the videos I’ve watched. 👍

If you could post a link to those videos, that would be great. I've never seen one.

https://earthsky.org/space/planting-flag-on-moon-apollo11

Once they got the flag up, several factors made it look as though it was flying. First there were wrinkles in it because of how tightly it was packed. And these add to the illusion that the flag is waving. Also, the astronauts didn’t always get the horizontal crossbar extended all the way – they were working in pressurized spacesuits and really cumbersome gloves, after all – which caused the flag to bunch up in places. That also made it look like it’s waving.

chuck berrys hairline
6 hours ago, been here before said:

Thats a cropped version taken from a much larger landscape picture and could be anyone in all honesty.

20190720_125448.jpg.d79a117379e8efb4cb2f55f61e0b53fb.jpg

There's an awful lot of curves and movement for a straight plastic flag. Can see looking at the bottom it's more or less curved and the ripple effect on the right hand side which causes the shadow on the stars? Another thing surely there would be more moon in the background no? Surface area looks awfuly small compared to whats there in reality.

davemclaren
1 hour ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

There's an awful lot of curves and movement for a straight plastic flag. Can see looking at the bottom it's more or less curved and the ripple effect on the right hand side which causes the shadow on the stars? Another thing surely there would be more moon in the background no? Surface area looks awfuly small compared to whats there in reality.

The moon is smaller than the Earth by a fair margin so the horizon will be closer ( I deduce ) plus it has undulations. 😎

1 hour ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

Please see my post immediately before yours with regard to the flag.  

Why should there be more background?

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

If you could post a link to those videos, that would be great. I've never seen one.

https://earthsky.org/space/planting-flag-on-moon-apollo11

Once they got the flag up, several factors made it look as though it was flying. First there were wrinkles in it because of how tightly it was packed. And these add to the illusion that the flag is waving. Also, the astronauts didn’t always get the horizontal crossbar extended all the way – they were working in pressurized spacesuits and really cumbersome gloves, after all – which caused the flag to bunch up in places. That also made it look like it’s waving.

Heres one of several. 

You simply need to google videos of the flag planting to see several more. 

See how it's "waving" in a way you've never seen a flag wave before? And with no air molecules around to impart friction, the only way that waves introduced to the flag, by the jostling from the astronauts, could lose their energy was from friction of the material of the flag with itself.  Think of it like a pendulum.

I've seen another video (I'd have to find it) that shows the astronauts passing close by the flag after this, once it's been planted, and it remains motionless. Impossible, of course, if they were moving air around the flag--but to be expected in the near-vacuum of the lunar surface.

40 minutes ago, Gards said:

Here we go....they're coming out of the woodwork....sigh

You sigh .

You and others are choking on it.

I'd go so far to say that you are goading.

You and 6foot 2 seem to be the ones desperate for a fight on this thread.

Quite how 6foot 2 husnae got a clue gets away with his posting style who knows .

But both of you are the ones derailing this thread.

24 minutes ago, jake said:

You sigh .

You and others are choking on it.

I'd go so far to say that you are goading.

You and 6foot 2 seem to be the ones desperate for a fight on this thread.

Quite how 6foot 2 husnae got a clue gets away with his posting style who knows .

But both of you are the ones derailing this thread.

Continually trying to bring it back to the point of the thread but you carry on.

And in that light, watched the final few programs on the landing tonight.  400,000 involved in landing 2 men (and the subsequent 10 that followed) is such an amazing achievement.

Obviously was politically motivated to beat the USSR but science was the winner, especially in the later missions when geologists were on the flights.

Can't wait to see us landing on the moon again.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Gards said:

Continually trying to bring it back to the point of the thread but you carry on.

And in that light, watched the final few programs on the landing tonight.  400,000 involved in landing 2 men (and the subsequent 10 that followed) is such an amazing achievement.

Obviously was politically motivated to beat the USSR but science was the winner, especially in the later missions when geologists were on the flights.

Yes, we got non stick pans. 

9 minutes ago, Gards said:

I dont.

But anyway .

Bridge of Djoum

I never knew so many JKB members held Phd’s In the advanced sciences. 

i need to to get my ****** finger out. 

Governor Tarkin
On 16/07/2019 at 20:36, Justin Z said:

Wingnuttery beyond even that of flat earthers--that's moon landing denial. Delusional c****.

Mate... :(

Bridge of Djoum

The fact I find most interesting was NASA spending a massive whack on designing ergonomic pens to work in space. 

The Russians used... pencils. 

Governor Tarkin
3 hours ago, jake said:

Memes ?

Cade you are better than that.

No he's not. :(

been here before
5 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

The fact I find most interesting was NASA spending a massive whack on designing ergonomic pens to work in space. 

Its a good story that but sadly not true.

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, been here before said:

Its a good story that but sadly not true.

I feared that. 

Makes me wonder what else I'd love to be true but isn't.

9 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Another myth.

American and Soviet crews both used traditional wooden pencils, ball-point pens and felt tip markers.

A private company did come up with a "space pen", a few hundred of which were bought by both the American and Soviet space agencies.

11 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Yes, we got non stick pans. 

The ancient Greeks had non stick pans !

And you must remember Teflon being around in the early 60s :wink:

Apollo 11 landing site, taken by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter on it's first pass.

Lander is in the dead centre of the image.

A11LEMa_1000.png

And here's a tighter image, taken on a later pass, zoomed in a bit more.
628457main1_Apollo_11-670.jpg?itok=GPLjZ

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, felix said:

The ancient Greeks had non stick pans !

And you must remember Teflon being around in the early 60s :wink:

Not particularly. 😎

Humans will wipe themselves out, again! Then in a few thousand years think they've invented everything. :thumbsup: And repeat.

Edited by ri Alban

21 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

I never knew so many JKB members held Phd’s In the advanced sciences. 

i need to to get my ****** finger out. 

Me too, might go for Rocket science though!

23 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Probably the funniest execution of this joke was on The West Wing. But yeah, it's interesting how most "just so" stories that are supposed to give us some sort of sage insight into the way the world works are often totally made up . . . it's almost like the things they rail against (alleged runaway government spending just because it can, in this case) are really not quite so terrible as they claim after all.

Edit: But yeah a guy called Paul Fisher invented the space pen and sold them to NASA for like five bucks a pop or something. Graphite burns in high oxygen environments and bits of pencil (and pencil dust, and sharpening shavings) floating about a spaceship in zero gravity . . . not great things, after all.

Edited by Justin Z

Cruyff Turn

The moon landing was fake ? :rofl:

Nah, this is probably the conspiracy theory out of them all which is the biggest load of shite.

The greatest achievement by the bravest of men. 

Cruyff Turn
On 20/07/2019 at 15:41, Justin Z said:

Brilliant as usual from Oldfirmfacts. Die mad about it.

That is truly a thing of beauty. Imagine calling Buzz Aldrin a coward, this was a man who flew fighter jets and shot down MiGs over enemy territory, then tested prototype jets, flew into space and walked on the feckin moon! What a man. One of the greatest that has ever lived!

The American space program of the 1960s ... to put a human on the moon and return him safely to earth ... was the greatest technological achievement in history.  And the Americans did it six times. Here we are, fifty years later, and no other nation has come close to doing what they did.

It took an enormous amount of money, required the commitment of a nation, the cooperation of hundreds of thousands of people, and cost several lives.

But the Americans set out to do it, and they did it. They deserve our utmost respect for that.

Bindy Badgy
On 21/07/2019 at 00:20, Bridge of Djoum said:

Standard pencils are a bad idea in a space ship as graphite conducts electricity.

I watched the Discovery programme NASA the lost tapes last night absolutely amazing.

For people to claim fake is such a disservice to one of the greatest achievements of man.

Buzz should have kicked the shit out of him.

2 hours ago, Jamboelite said:

Buzz should have kicked the shit out of him.

Apparently Buzz gets really pissed off if anyone mentions the Moon landing was faked. 

45 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Apparently Buzz gets really pissed off if anyone mentions the Moon landing was faked. 

Because he knows it was 😀

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Just like the movie Capricorn One.

Loved that film.

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I hope his Mrs never faked it. She'd be in real trouble.