50TH Anniversary Of Apollo 11.

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

Some feat.

Fifty years ago, humans took their first steps on the Moon. The world watched as history was made.

This week, you can watch us salute our #Apollo50thApollo_11_Moon_Landing_50th_Anniversary_ heroes and look forward to our next giant leap for future missions to the Moon and Mars. Tune in: https://go.nasa.gov/2XCwqXW 

/>
0:26
249K viewsNew 

Saturn V Photograph - Apollo 11 Launch - Birdseye View by Nasa 

Apollo 11 Launch - Birdseye View is a photograph by Nasa which was uploaded on May 28th, 2019.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Space Mackerel

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• ri Alban

As a Yank, probably the thing I'm most proud about my country for, not that I have much to choose from lately.

Today is my dad's 68th birthday. Apollo 11 launched the day he turned 18. Pretty neat.

BBC4 has had outstanding documentaries about this on for the last week or so, and will do for the rest of the week.

Some outstanding footage on show.

davemclaren

remember, as a 12 year old,  getting to stay up and watch it in fuzzy black and white on or small tv. A  truly great moment in history. 

Just waiting for some dick to come along and say it didn't happen.  One of the most amazing feats of human-kind.

Just now, Gards said:

Just waiting for some dick to come along and say it didn't happen.  One of the most amazing feats of human-kind.

Yup. That 400,000 people kept a conspiracy secret for 50 years. That we don't use reflectors on the moon installed there by the Apollo astronauts to measure the regression of the moon from Earth. And on and on and on ad infinitum.

Wingnuttery beyond even that of flat earthers--that's moon landing denial. Delusional c****.

Watched it as it happened, quite a thrill, had just got my new job in the police, finally settled in a new Country, and then get to see one of the few totally new events in history, an unbelievable night.

Watching the NASA space program in the 1960s was incredible, starting with the Mercury program, then Gemini, and finally Apollo.  There were successes, of course, but there were also tragedies which cost lives, but they made the successes all the more gripping.

And to make the years even more tense, there was a space race.  Some thought that the Russians were progressing faster, and would be getting to the moon first. As we later learned, there was never any chance of that happening, but it seemed real enough at the time.

When Apollo 11 succeeded the whole Western world cheered.  It was such a momentous moment in human history, I recall that someone (maybe Isaac Asimov) saying that the calendar should be reset to year one. 

Vaguely remember the National Museum  had an Apollo 11 exhibition around 1970.

Absolutely mobbed . Centre stage was a test tube full of moon dust , which looked just like earth dust iirc.

Definitely faked  :whistling:

I find the whole thing absolutely fascinating. Not because of man physically being on the moon but the whole system that got him there. The engineering, the groundbreaking inventions that they had to come up with. The calculations involved in every nut & bolt in those vehicles. Amazing. 

I went to the NASA visitors centre in Florida 3 years ago & was I just like a big bairn. Loved it. 

4E6FCB67-C708-46CA-A4DB-5568450F10D5.jpeg

Edited by Pans Jambo

32 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

180C781B-858A-4434-8F3B-8E273AB087A4.jpeg

26540B35-593F-4210-8DAE-1138D95FF359.jpeg

34C2BB8F-0063-4BCA-BCA5-F83E71FC4F7B.jpeg

That's not the moon landing modules mate. 

I think.

Edited by jake

2 minutes ago, jake said:

That's not the moon landing modules mate. 

I think.

I dont think they are either. The only pics I could find on my phone. Awesome place to visit!

1 hour ago, Gards said:

1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

Yup. That 400,000 people kept a conspiracy secret for 50 years. That we don't use reflectors on the moon installed there by the Apollo astronauts to measure the regression of the moon from Earth. And on and on and on ad infinitum.

Wingnuttery beyond even that of flat earthers--that's moon landing denial. Delusional c****.

The cry was no surrender.

😁 

Jokin lads dont beat me up

Weird Apollo fact #1:

As computing was in it's infancy back then, all the reports from testing had to be printed out on paper. If you stacked the reports from a single 'all-up' test of the Saturn V, the pile would be 8 feet taller than the rocket itself. 

Here's Margaret Hamilton, who in 1964 was made Lead Developer of Software at NASA for the Apollo project.

She is pictured beside the print-out of the computer code for the Apollo 11 in-flight computer.

In total, all the software for Apollo 11 took 2.8 million man-hours to write.

350 people worked on it.

margaret_hamilton5.jpg

Edited by Cade

The Internet
7 hours ago, indianajones said:

I honestly find it extremely difficult to believe this actually happenend. 

The alternative is even harder to believe if you just think about it. 

The kennedy space center is amazing, went there last year for the first time and it really is mind-blowing, just the scale of everything is incredible. Space :pray:

11 hours ago, indianajones said:

I honestly find it extremely difficult to believe this actually happenend.

Nothing wrong with that--skepticism and demanding evidence are good things. :thumbsup:

But yeah, Mauricio is right. There's plenty of evidence out there if it's a subject that interests you enough and you want to be sure.

Good start might be dealing directly with the conspiracy theories, then learning more on your own. Here's a link within a good page on the nutters.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Moon_landing_hoax#Scope_of_those_in_on_the_plot

indianajones
12 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Nothing wrong with that--skepticism and demanding evidence are good things. :thumbsup:

But yeah, Mauricio is right. There's plenty of evidence out there if it's a subject that interests you enough and you want to be sure.

Good start might be dealing directly with the conspiracy theories, then learning more on your own. Here's a link within a good page on the nutters.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Moon_landing_hoax#Scope_of_those_in_on_the_plot

It's just difficult to comprehend. I can't even get phone or 4G reception 40 miles west of Aberdeen in 2019 yet we can put men on the moon in the 60s.

USA damn near bankrupted itself to put men on the moon.

And that was when the USA was at the height of it's powers.

JFK even proposed doing it in conjunction with the USSR to spread the costs.

7 minutes ago, indianajones said:

It's just difficult to comprehend. I can't even get phone or 4G reception 40 miles west of Aberdeen in 2019 yet we can put men on the moon in the 60s.

Haha, yeah, that I definitely can relate to. Remarkable stuff even in a modern context.

12 minutes ago, Cade said:

But crucially they DID bankrupt the USSR. Well, a combination of the space and missile races did. An ulterior motive perhaps?

19 minutes ago, Cade said:

6 minutes ago, trotter said:

But crucially they DID bankrupt the USSR. Well, a combination of the space and missile races did. An ulterior motive perhaps?

Think the nuclear arms race will have had much more of an effect. Even at its peak, in 1966, NASA's budget was still only 4% of the total federal budget of the US, and the total cost of the entire Apollo programme, for all years in today's money was only $150 billion, which would amount to 3.2% of the proposed single year 2019 budget.

15 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

I find the whole thing absolutely fascinating. Not because of man physically being on the moon but the whole system that got him there. The engineering, the groundbreaking inventions that they had to come up with. The calculations involved in every nut & bolt in those vehicles. Amazing. 

I went to the NASA visitors centre in Florida 3 years ago & was I just like a big bairn. Loved it. 

I've been there too and it's impressive.  The Saturn V launcher is hard to believe, it's so enormous.  

The whole thing was an incredible technical achievement by the Americans.  Here we are, 50 years later, and getting people to the moon and back even with with today's technology seems daunting.

been here before

Other than being reflected in Buzz Aldrins visor, there are no photographs of Neil Armstrong on the moon.

I only found that out the other day.

been here before
19 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

It was wonderful and I am loving all the documentaries on just now. 

I also recommend on YouTube the many hours of communication broadcasts between mission control and the Apollo astronauts. Apollo 13 and the 'Houston We Have A Problem' is absolutely riveting.

"Houston, we've had a problem".

That must be one of the most misquoted quotes in the history of mankind.

57 minutes ago, been here before said:

Other than being reflected in Buzz Aldrins visor, there are no photographs of Neil Armstrong on the moon.

iirc, there was only one camera,and Armstrong carried it.

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I've been there too and it's impressive.  The Saturn V launcher is hard to believe, it's so enormous.  

The whole thing was an incredible technical achievement by the Americans.  Here we are, 50 years later, and getting people to the moon and back even with with today's technology seems daunting.

13 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

iirc, there was only one camera,and Armstrong carried it.

I’m not a disbeliever but it does seem an incredible achievement seeing we actually can’t do it anymore.  The Van Allen belts are actually crazy things to get through yet NASA just decided bugger it let’s just send astronauts through and we’ll see and yet I don’t believe have put a manned craft through it since. 

Have you also seen the guy asking Armstrong to swear on a bible he walked on the moon and him refusing to do so? 

Where did the hoax stories come from anyway do we know? 

Edit: reading the link Justin Z posted now👍🏼

Edited by jack D and coke

been here before
7 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I will listen to the actual broadcast again.......

Save yourself the time.

Despite the title...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston,_we_have_a_problem

James Lovell...

"The message came in the form of a sharp bang and vibration. Jack Swigert saw a warning light that accompanied the bang, and said, "Houston, we've had a problem here." I came on and told the ground that it was a main B bus undervolt. The time was 2108 hours on April 13.". Taken from NASA history..

https://history.nasa.gov/SP-350/ch-13-1.html

A log of the conversation...

http://apollo13.spacelog.org/page/02:07:55:19/

been here before
24 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I’m not a disbeliever but it does seem an incredible achievement seeing we actually can’t do it anymore.  The Van Allen belts are actually crazy things to get through yet NASA just decided bugger it let’s just send astronauts through and we’ll see and yet I don’t believe have put a manned craft through it since. 

Have you also seen the guy asking Armstrong to swear on a bible he walked on the moon and him refusing to do so? 

I was a witness in court and refused to swear on the bible. It didnt mean I was lying about my testimony.

davemclaren
18 hours ago, felix said:

Vaguely remember the National Museum  had an Apollo 11 exhibition around 1970.

Absolutely mobbed . Centre stage was a test tube full of moon dust , which looked just like earth dust iirc.

Definitely faked  :whistling:

Probably, I do temember going to see a Mercury capsule ( Alan Glenn’s? ) in Chambers street when a kid. Kids my age were pretty fascinated by space at that time. 

davemclaren
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

It was wonderful and I am loving all the documentaries on just now. 

I also recommend on YouTube the many hours of communication broadcasts between mission control and the Apollo astronauts. Apollo 13 and the 'Houston We Have A Problem' is absolutely riveting.

In Cyprus at the moment but that all sounds good to view. 

davemclaren
2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I think we thought that Humans were capable of achieving anything at that time but, sadly, we are just as capable of terrible things as well as fantastic things. 

10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Probably, I do temember going to see a Mercury capsule ( Alan Glenn’s? ) in Chambers street when a kid. Kids my age were pretty fascinated by space at that time. 

John Glenn maybe?

A distant relative of mine and another poster on here who has a Russian kind of username that sounds like Doris.

davemclaren
Just now, graygo said:

John Glenn maybe?

A distant relative of mine and another poster on here who has a Russian kind of username that sounds like Doris.

Ah, yes it was John Glenn’s, should have remembered that.  It looked so small inside and fragile outside. We all formed a long queue to walk past it. He took me to see it before the lunar landings and he got me scientific encyclopaedias ( which I loved reading ) for xmas so I assume he must have had a real interest in it. 

A real relative? 😳

38 minutes ago, been here before said:

It's not clear.  And it really doesn't matter much.  But here's an extract from the article you linked.  You'll notice the reference to the camera, suggesting that there was only one.  Anyway, cheers for the link.

"Aldrin, at least, has always said that the lapse was inadvertant, the result of Armstrong carrying the camera most of the time"

been here before
2 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

It's not clear.  And it really doesn't matter much.  But here's an extract from the article you linked.  You'll notice the reference to the camera, suggesting that there was only one.  Anyway, cheers for the link.

"Aldrin, at least, has always said that the lapse was inadvertant, the result of Armstrong carrying the camera most of the time"

Aye I thought it was the wrong article when I posted it  😃 couldnt be bothered changing it though.

If I come across it Ill pop it up.

3 hours ago, been here before said:

If you are one to believe in the conservation of matter and all that sciency stuff - remember that famous photo Michael Collins took of the earth rising behind the moon when he was alone in the capsule? He's the only person living or dead not in it...

2 hours ago, been here before said:

"Houston, we've had a problem".

That must be one of the most misquoted quotes in the history of mankind.

Ironically only surpassed by the "one small step for [a] man" misquote. 

8 minutes ago, trotter said:

If you are one to believe in the conservation of matter and all that sciency stuff - remember that famous photo Michael Collins took of the earth rising behind the moon when he was alone in the capsule? He's the only person living or dead not in it...

Possibly not... 

There absolutely has to be some people lost to the depths of space from earlier attempts that have been covered up or re-written.  There are strong suggestions of "Lost Cosmonauts" from earlier USSR missions, which is a whole new rabbit hole to go down on Wikipedia at 2 in the morning :lol:

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

👍🏼

That's one bit I struggle to reconcile. The Van Allen belt radiation is lethal to man. 

Its also remarkable how far behind the Americans were compared to the Russians in terms of rocketry and launching into lower orbit but they managed to turn it around in 4 years.

I'm away to get the tin foil oot :conspiracy:

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

That's one bit I struggle to reconcile. The Van Allen belt radiation is lethal to man. 

Its also remarkable how far behind the Americans were compared to the Russians in terms of rocketry and launching into lower orbit but they managed to turn it around in 4 years.

Not quite. There was a top secret project back in the late 50s called Operation Argus, where the US measured the radiation using sounding rockets, and then detonated MORE nukes inside them to see if they could create an artificial missile defence shield. There's a great book called Burning The Sky which details it which coincidentally enough i've just finished. 

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

They just needed to trust their Germans more. 

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

They just needed to trust their Germans more. 

Ah yes their 'good guy' nazi rocketry team led by Werner Von Braun and various other SS types.

4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Ah, yes it was John Glenn’s, should have remembered that.  It looked so small inside and fragile outside. We all formed a long queue to walk past it. He took me to see it before the lunar landings and he got me scientific encyclopaedias ( which I loved reading ) for xmas so I assume he must have had a real interest in it. 

A real relative? 😳

Distant, I think it was his parent, not sure which one, and my grandmother were cousins 

On 16/07/2019 at 21:31, Gards said:

On 16/07/2019 at 21:36, Justin Z said:

How disrespectful. Your not in my camp so I'll call you names. Isn't that bullying?

Astronauts are mental. It must change your whole outlook on life, seeing the earth from Space and landing on the Moon. Terrifying and inspiring, all in one.

Feck that!

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Astronauts are mental. It must change your whole outlook on life, seeing the earth from Space and landing on the Moon. Terrifying and inspiring, all in one.

Feck that!

No doubt. My most vivid ever dream, I was travelling to the moon. Back in real life, I'm 6'6" and never had a chance to fit in a spacecraft. :lol: