50TH Anniversary Of Apollo 11.

maroonlegions

Space Mackerel
56 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Because it gives them a smug sense of self satisfaction when they think (operative word) they know things that 99% of other people are too stupid or gullible to understand properly. 

There is a certain irony in the logic. 

Sorry mate, I’ve been reliably informed you’re a retired Scramjet propulsion engineer who works in a bookies in Dundee noo. 

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Space Mackerel

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• ri Alban

4 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Sorry mate, I’ve been reliably informed you’re a retired Scramjet propulsion engineer who works in a bookies in Dundee noo. 

Your "reliable" source needs a chronic update. 

Space Mackerel
3 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Your "reliable" source needs a chronic update. 

Ever seen a real bomb. Like a proper one with a 2000lb warhead on it in a Dundee bookies? 

Governor Tarkin

:rofl:

He's like Ausseh but with less charisma.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Space Mackerel
Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

He's like Aussie but with less charisma.

Let me know how you get on with that video. I can send you a roaming bolt on if you’re skint? 

23 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Ever seen a real bomb. Like a proper one with a 2000lb warhead on it in a Dundee bookies? 

Where do these random jumps in your train of thought come from? :rofl:

Deary me, time for bed I think.  I'll sleep tight in my bookies in Dundee, but then I'll have to get back to the future.

Space Mackerel
1 hour ago, tian447 said:

Because it gives them a smug sense of self satisfaction when they think (operative word) they know things that 99% of other people are too stupid or gullible to understand properly. 

There is a certain irony in the logic. 

13 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Where do these random jumps in your train of thought come from? :rofl:

Deary me, time for bed I think.  I'll sleep tight in my bookies in Dundee, but then I'll have to get back to the future.

“We can only fly in Earth orbit, that’s the farthest we can go”

Colonel Terry Virts, US astronaut, ISS.

Edited by Space Mackerel

Governor Tarkin
28 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Let me know how you get on with that video. I can send you a roaming bolt on if you’re skint? 

Cash dripping out of my arse mate, but cheers for the offer.

Space Mackerel
12 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Cash dripping out of my arse mate, but cheers for the offer.

Could you let us know what’s going on here then when you get some sort of internet connection please? 

There is arms, cardboard and funny lights inside the capsule all over the place. 

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Could you let us know what’s going on here then when you get some sort of internet connection please? 

There is arms, cardboard and funny lights inside the capsule all over the place. 

No idea what you're trying to post, mate, as I've already said, I have limited bandwidth.

All I can make out is some word-salad and a big 'this connection has timed out' box.

Space Mackerel
4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

No idea what you're trying to post, mate, as I've already said, I have limited bandwidth.

All I can make out is some word-salad and a big 'this connection has timed out' box.

Probably a good idea to “bang out” the thread then.

You’ll have enough bytes available to Google what that means in avionic terms surely? 

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Old fish face has previous for trolling hell out of a thread over an extended period of time, same provocative M.O. too. I wouldn't take him too seriously, some just need to make their fellow man dance once in a while. 

Governor Tarkin
12 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I wouldn't take him too seriously, some just need to make their fellow man dance once in a while. 

Oh, I don't take him seriously at all. I quite enjoy his ravings if truth be told.

It's not me that's doing the dancing.

2 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

“It doesn’t matter what kind of rocket is underneath it” 😁

Maybe the US shouldn’t have bothered getting all these V1 and V2 German scientists out after WW2 then. Maybe they could’ve used a massive Whoopee cushion? 

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Now I'm genuinely confused by what point you're trying to make. Your original comment about the lunar lander being made from tin foil equated the fact that it couldn't withstand the force from a large rocket as somehow proving the moon landing didn't happen. 

This one now uses my reply to why that didn't matter to talk about the size of the rocket required to get something into space in the first place?

Full disclosure, I absolutely love technical discussions, I'm a (twice) degree qualified Chartered Engineer (happy to link my LI profile to prove this if asked), but it's kind of difficult to have said discussion when the other party is randomly skipping across topics that bear no relevence to each other. 

Unless of course I'm being thick and there is a point here that I'm not seeing?

4 hours ago, trotter said:

Now I'm genuinely confused by what point you're trying to make.

Your first mistake was assuming there was one.

4 hours ago, trotter said:

There's not, but we could all aspire to your level of humility. :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

My carer does a better job.

I particularly enjoy the "ask a question or make a statement, and get a random mental video in return, without having your point addressed" part of this thread. 

2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Your first mistake was assuming there was one.

There's not, but we could all aspire to your level of humility. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

8 hours ago, trotter said:

Now I'm genuinely confused by what point you're trying to make. Your original comment about the lunar lander being made from tin foil equated the fact that it couldn't withstand the force from a large rocket as somehow proving the moon landing didn't happen. 

This one now uses my reply to why that didn't matter to talk about the size of the rocket required to get something into space in the first place?

Full disclosure, I absolutely love technical discussions, I'm a (twice) degree qualified Chartered Engineer (happy to link my LI profile to prove this if asked), but it's kind of difficult to have said discussion when the other party is randomly skipping across topics that bear no relevence to each other. 

image.png.4df971ab5c5e37af20f9a2d5610dfdcb.png

I have no wish to highlight my professional qualifications in public to give any credibility to this content.

Did They go? Maybe.

Did you view the MLFA video?

The construction of the LEM seems quite appallingly poor.

Sticky tape and cardboard, materials perhaps more appropriate to a childs self constructed tree house.

What state of the art science and engineering production facility would construct and finish such a pinicle of enginneering excellence in such a way?

Edited by alfajambo

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, alfajambo said:

I have no wish to highlight my professional qualifications in public to give any credibility to this content.

Did They go? Maybe.

Sticky tape and cardboard, materials perhaps more appropriate to a childs self constructed tree house.

What state of the art science and engineering production facility would construct and finish such a pinicle of enginneering excellence in such a way?

Brickie.

Nap.

If you were going to conduct a conspiracy theory involving 400,000 people over the course of 6 years and with limitless money available, why would you fake the scene with something made of canvas and wood?

It doesn't stack up one little bit.

Too much bammery being believed by people with no knowledge of science.

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Brickie.

Nap.

Lovin your work.

Building the truth one brick at a time.🔨🔨🔨🔨

50 minutes ago, Cade said:

If you were going to conduct a conspiracy theory involving 400,000 people over the course of 6 years and with limitless money available, why would you fake the scene with something made of canvas and wood?

It doesn't stack up one little bit.

Too much bammery being believed by people with no knowledge of science.

To protect my own sanity, I've ducked out of this discussion. I recommend it.

3 hours ago, alfajambo said:

Did They go? Maybe.

As I said before, the LEM didn't need to be particularly strong in the normal sense of the word. It didn't have to withstand any aerodynamic forces to speak of, nor the heat of re-entry. Essentially all it needed to do was support it's own weight, protect the astronauts from direct solar rays and deal with any vibration coming from the engine. Bearing in mind that weight is one of the most critical factors in spacecraft design, why would you 'over-build' it unnecessarily? 

I grant you that it does look pretty flimsy, but it was obviously deemed good enough to do the job. Bear in mind the outer skin on a modern commercial plane is only on the order of 3-4 mm thick. The same design philosophy applies - design it to be as strong as it needs to be to withstand the forces it will be subjected to (plus a safety margin of course). No more, no less.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, alfajambo said:

Lovin your work.

Building the truth one brick at a time.🔨🔨🔨🔨

:D 👍

55 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

:D 👍

You didn't build those schools in Edinburgh, by any chance?

:whistling:

Looks study enough to me. This is the "naked" Lunar Module during construction.

main-qimg-71764daf6b02ad30cc31650b623c4e

o8hnx.jpg

The "sweetie wrappers" was a 25 layer composite of gold and other metal foils designed purely to deflect heat.

main-qimg-93735923f8531567d7df8ef9256a4d

The finished thing on the lunar surface.

The gold foil was painted with heat resistant black paint on surfaces which would be hit by the maneuvering thruster jets.

The rest of the LM was covered in a thin skin of aluminium panels, designed only to absorb impacts from micrometeorites. 

DCx8x.jpg

The LMs has no wind or weather to worry about and only had to travel the empty space between high earth orbit and the moon. 

The greatest force they were subjected to was during return to lunar orbit.

Remember also that Apollo 9 had already tested the LM in docking with the CM and that Apollo 10 was a full-on dress rehearsal and got to with 15km of the lunar surface before coming back.

It's not as if Apollo 11 was the very first go.

Edited by Cade

Scnorthedinburgh

In reply to a previous statement asking if they hoovered the dust up in the LM, the did.

After apollo 11 they new the dust got everywhere, and the dustbuster was born. 

So apollo gave us the hand held Hoover.

Governor Tarkin
52 minutes ago, Cade said:

o8hnx.jpg

The "sweetie wrappers" was a 25 layer composite of gold and other metal foils designed purely to deflect heat.

The gold foil was painted with heat resistant black paint on surfaces which would be hit by the maneuvering thruster jets.

The rest of the LM was covered in a thin skin of aluminium panels, designed only to absorb impacts from micrometeorites. 

DCx8x.jpg

The LMs has no wind or weather to worry about and only had to travel the empty space between high earth orbit and the moon. 

Remember also that Apollo 9 had already tested the LM in docking with the CM and that Apollo 10 was a full-on dress rehearsal and got to with 15km of the lunar surface before coming back.

Fake news.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

o8hnx.jpg

DCx8x.jpg

I've got a great book called Rocket Men by Craig Nelson which details the Apollo program. As everything on Apollo 10 was essentially good to go, NASA were extremely worried that the astronauts would just say "**** it" and go ahead and land, thus ruining the grand plans for Apollo 11 being the first. To make sure they didn't, they only filled the LEM fuel tank halfway, and let them know that if they went ahead and landed, fair enough, but they wouldn't be coming back. 

Solved that problem pretty effectively I'd say :rofl:

The Apollo 10 LM is still out there. 

When is was detached from the CM for the return trip, instead of firing it in a tight orbit to eventually crash on the moon, they fired it out of the lunar orbit path and it's still going.

A British tracking team think they may have found it. It's classified as a near earth asteroid now.

Space Mackerel
3 hours ago, trotter said:

As I said before, the LEM didn't need to be particularly strong in the normal sense of the word. It didn't have to withstand any aerodynamic forces to speak of, nor the heat of re-entry. Essentially all it needed to do was support it's own weight, protect the astronauts from direct solar rays and deal with any vibration coming from the engine. Bearing in mind that weight is one of the most critical factors in spacecraft design, why would you 'over-build' it unnecessarily? 

I grant you that it does look pretty flimsy, but it was obviously deemed good enough to do the job. Bear in mind the outer skin on a modern commercial plane is only on the order of 3-4 mm thick. The same design philosophy applies - design it to be as strong as it needs to be to withstand the forces it will be subjected to (plus a safety margin of course). No more, no less.

Oi guys, here's the rocket, it's 10,000 lb of thrust a weighs about 10 tons.

No bother pal, we have it covered, we made the main load bearing structure and chassis out of left over broom handles from the Co Op.

Honestly. 🤣🤣

Edited by Space Mackerel

Space Mackerel
2 hours ago, Cade said:

o8hnx.jpg

DCx8x.jpg

As a space/moon traveling expert believer, you've taken quite a while to dig these out of some dark place on the interweb.

Why didn't you post them before?

22 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

No bother pal, we have it covered, we made the main load bearing structure and chassis out of left over broom handles from the Co Op.

Honestly. 🤣🤣

So did you gain this knowledge of space equipment from your time as Nimrod Ground Crew, or when you were on missions in Iraq, Bosnia with Special Forces. Oops wasn't supposed to give out that information from your private message, but as you so carefully pointed out your background was so superior to mine  plodding about Edinburgh with a wee truncheon. I would now I have by error released your private service record point out I did try to trace the Serial number you gave but all I could find was squadron numbers, and a notice that serial numbers for the RAF Regiment with a letter P at the end were parachute trained.

Space Mackerel
2 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

So did you gain this knowledge of space equipment from your time as Nimrod Ground Crew, or when you were on missions in Iraq, Bosnia with Special Forces. Oops wasn't supposed to give out that information from your private message, but as you so carefully pointed out your background was so superior to mine  plodding about Edinburgh with a wee truncheon. I would now I have by error released your private service record point out I did try to trace the Serial number you gave but all I could find was squadron numbers, and a notice that serial numbers for the RAF Regiment with a letter P at the end were parachute trained.

This is a bit off topic? We are discussing the engineering capabilities of the lunar module and lander bob.

8 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

This is a bit off topic? We are discussing the engineering capabilities of the lunar module and lander bob.

Not really it is a c omment on your ability to make the statements you have about the lunar landing. Actually no more off content than when you provided me that information on a private message during discussions of 911. In that thread you credited a mate who actually you stated had the same service as you as some form of expert , his service was very similar to your own. My records which I maintain show that your private message was  sent September 27, 2017 at 1'45pm. Old plodding polis like elephants never forget. Honestly, a word I can use without fear of contradiction.

Edited by bobsharp

Space Mackerel
7 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Not really it is a c omment on your ability to make the statements you have about the lunar landing. Actually no more off content than when you provided me that information on a private message during discussions of 911. In that thread you credited a mate who actually you stated had the same service as you as some form of expert , his service was very similar to your own. My records which I maintain show that your private message was  sent September 27, 2017 at 1'45pm. Old plodding polis like elephants never forget. Honestly, a word I can use without fear of contradiction.

bob, do you think man went to the moon?

5 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

bob, do you think man went to the moon?

I watched the moon landing, it was excellent entertainment, whether they did or didn't I am far from qualified to make a judgement. To be honest I doubt I will ever be using that form of transport, si I just plod along.

Space Mackerel
9 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I watched the moon landing, it was excellent entertainment, whether they did or didn't I am far from qualified to make a judgement. To be honest I doubt I will ever be using that form of transport, si I just plod along.

You know, I never gave it much thought until about a year ago, I started looking at the lunar lander in detail and just burst out laughing.

Next day I asked my old man, he's 83, I said, Dad, you were alive when it happened, what do you think?

His answer, I remember getting up about 2 am and watching it in awe.What do you think now dad? Answer, a load of nonsense.

Day after, I was up in Brechin, chatting to an elder of the Cathedral, also a retired engineer, he's approx 75-80, I said Archie, what do you think about the moon landings, his answer, Yeah I watched it but the only thing missing was the strings holding up their arms.

We have a lot to learn of the older generation sometimes, maybe engineers are more clued up?

Edited by Space Mackerel

1 hour ago, Space Mackerel said:

Honestly. 🤣🤣

Cade and trotter gave detailed, intelligent responses which completely refuted your unsubstantiated claim that the lunar modules were flimsy.

And that response above is the best you can come up with?  Broom handles from the Co-op!!  Even by your standards, that is a lame reply.

Space Mackerel
5 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Cade and trotter gave detailed, intelligent responses which completely refuted your unsubstantiated claim that the lunar modules were flimsy.

And that response above is the best you can come up with?  Broom handles from the Co-op!!  Even by your standards, that is a lame reply.

alfajambo posted a video, you haven't even replied to it. In fact, none of the moon landers have.

The video is real, it was shown on a BBC documentary about this very subject.

So why did the crew on Apollo 11 need to CLEARLY fake they were halfway to the moon?

9 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

alfajambo posted a video, you haven't even replied to it. In fact, none of the moon landers have.

The video is real, it was shown on a BBC documentary about this very subject.

So why did the crew on Apollo 11 need to CLEARLY fake they were halfway to the moon?

Have a read of this ... explains how the Director of the Documentary (A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Moon) got it all wrong.

http://www.clavius.org/bibfunny8.html