***Official Cowdenbeath v Hearts Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

2 minutes ago, sam? said:

Just back. I thought the game passed clare by.. 

I disagree, thought Clare played well tonight.  Did a lot of tackling and tracking back and some good passing.  McDonald was excellent and my MOM (apart from the Beath goalie).  Halkett was also excellent.  Everyone got pass marks apart from Burns and Zanatta for me. 

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• martoon

• Beast Boy

been here before
4 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Probably mentioned but did anyone else see the boy in the Rangers top in our end?

No but I saw a Cowdenbeath fan in the queue to get in with a big tattoo running the length of his lower leg of Gascoigne doing that 'playing the flute' celebration.

Odd.

Carl Weathers
7 minutes ago, been here before said:

No but I saw a Cowdenbeath fan in the queue to get in with a big tattoo running the length of his lower leg of Gascoigne doing that 'playing the flute' celebration.

Odd.

The boy I seen had 5 stars on his leg. I thought it was quite strange to wear a Rangers top to a Hearts thing but no one seemed to care.

Byyy The Light

McCann and Naysmith said on radio after the game that Clare did a lot of the dirty stuff well and had a decent game.

McCann confident we need (and will get) reinforcements in there with Djoum leaving. He was yet another professional very complimentary of Djoum as a player. Weird, when he is evidently so chronic based on the opinions on here.

Edited by Byyy The Light

10 minutes ago, been here before said:

Odd.

In-bred Fifer.

gashauskis9
33 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Match ratings here from EEN:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/how-the-hearts-players-rated-during-tuesday-night-s-betfred-cup-clash-with-cowdenbeath-1-4966069

Zlamal 6 - Agree

Smith 7 - Agree

Halkett 7 - Agree

Berra 6 - Agree

Burns 5 - Agree

McDonald 8 - Agree

Clare 7 - Agree

Bozanic 7 - Would have him given a 6

Zanatta 8 - no end product and short on confidence, a 6 for me

MacLean 7 - forgot he was playing, 6 from me

Washington 6 - deserves a 7 at least, his link up play with McDonald was sublime

subs:

Uche 6 - no chance, 5 at best

Keena 6 - Agree

Walker 6 - kicked the ball twice, a 6 is quite generous 

maroonsgotop
11 minutes ago, been here before said:

He did, particularly in the first half. Always in about it.breaking up attacks and looking to move play forward. To say he was a disappointment is slavering pish.

Likewise Berra. He done what he does and was seldom troubled. Im not quite getting what Clare brings to the party though.

Agree about Clare. Good game. I thought Burns had an absolute shocker tonight and he should be nowhere the team on that performance. He could also have been red carded near the end for a 2nd yellow. Zanatta was anonymous apart from one very good first half run and shot. Halkett looks the part. Really impressed by him albeit against pretty poor opponents which makes Burns performance even more worrying. Thought Berra also struggled in the first half but improved. Very good goal by McDonald having come short to get the pass initially and then into the box to get a return pass for an excellent shot and goal. 

IveSeenTheLight
23 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Too busy watching Aberdeen perfecting their game plan for the league opener?

tenor.gif?itemid=9226749

HeHe, is Hearts away/ third strip green? (assuming we are in red)

Nae far off the Hearts player gif I saw on John McGinn the other day

I'm looking forward to it, hopefully it will be a cracker

The_razors_edge

The game was over after 22 minutes. The next 70 odd was spent building up fitness, easing guys like Keena back in the team, giving Uche another 30 minutes. For me it was also good to see McDonald and Halkett get 90 minutes under their belts. I was particularly impressed with both tonight. 

hmfc_liam06

If ever there was a game to be found under "professional" in the dictionary then this one would be it.

Job done.

Fozzyonthefence
47 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Sorry to hear that. Did anybody else who was there feel the same?

Yes, 2nd half was dire. Cowden went to back 3 at half time to push an extra man into midfield and as a result they were much more competitive.  2nd half was pretty much a non event, game was very similar to Friday - all over them first half, piss poor 2nd half, difference being this game was over well before half time.

Captain Canada

I thought Bozanic and Burns were very poor tonight. Halkett looked really good and Zanatta did well again. McDonald didn't see too much of the ball at times but scored a great goal. 

I thought MacLean might have had more of an influence on the game but he was very quiet. 

Overall, we strolled to victory but I'd have liked a couple more goals. 

5 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

McCann and Naysmith said on radio after the game that Clare did a lot of the dirty stuff well and had a decent game.

McCann confident we need (and will get) reinforcements in there with Djoum leaving. He was yet another professional very complimentary of Djoum as a player. Weird, when he is evidently so chronic based on the opinions on here.

Another football person with a football brain that could see Djoum was a player. Funny that they also said they thought Clare was good but some on here thought he was poor 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

4 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Another football person with a football brain that could see Djoum was a player. Funny that they also said they thought Clare was good but some on here thought he was poor 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

Neil McCann thought he done the dirty work well without influencing the game.

Gary Naysmith said he should be doing more and by his tone I got the impression he wasn’t particularly impressed.

It’s a stretch to say they thought he was good.

Edited by Whatever

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Not quite accurate about Clare, they agreed he did a lot of work but never influenced or controlled the game like he maybe should. 

portobellojambo1

First half we played really well and if we had been a bit more clinical and their keeper hadn't played so well, we could have scored a few more. 2nd half it seemed to be a combination of them changing to put more bodies in midfield and us taking our foot off the gas a little. Didn't have any impact tonight as the game was finished as a contest around half way through the first half. However, once the league campaign starts we need to keep playing at a high tempo for the full course of the game as better teams could punish us. A few loose passes in both halves but when the movement and passing worked, the 2nd goal being the perfect example, it was very effective.

Edited by portobellojambo1

Halkett, Macdonald and Zanatta were excellent. 

I thought Burns was absolutely woeful barely played a pass on the deck all night.

centre of the park is a major concern as you would expect Clare and Bozanic to boss a game against low standard league 2 side but both were anonymous. Clare did a lot of running off the ball but against better opposition we will struggle as he has no grit and can’t tackle. Bozanic corners were as bad as last season 

Maclean was poor also not good enough to be starting games should be impact sub at best

Just now, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Not quite accurate about Clare, they agreed he did a lot of work but never influenced or controlled the game like he maybe should. 

McCann said he has been highly critical of Clare but thought he done well, done the dirty work and got stuck in. They went on to say that Levein needs to bring in a quality midfielder. I shouldn’t have said they thought he done good. I think he’ll be a player. 

tartofmidlothian
1 minute ago, portobellojambo1 said:

First half we played really well and if we had been a bit more clinical and their keeper hadn't played so well, we could have scored a few more. "nd half it semed to be a combination of them changing to put more bodies in midfield and us taking our foot off the gas a little. Didn't have any impact tonight as the game was finished as a contest around half way through the first half. However, once the leage campaign starts we need to keep playing at a high tempo for the full course of the game as beeter teams could punish us. A few loose passes in both halves but when the movement and passing worked, the 2nd goal being the perfect example, it was very effective.

This post sums the match up exactly.

Mr Elwood P
46 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Possible seeding positions for next round draw.

49 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

It could determine whether we are one of the 4 seeded teams to join the 4 teams in Europe who are also seeded but currently that is not in our own hands as we can only get 11 points.

48 minutes ago, Jambojay84 said:

I think it’s about getting seeded for the draw and plenty goals helps that

Fair enough. Hopefully 11 points will see us through as a top seed.

Famous 1874

Good we got the win but if we setup with Bozanic and Clare in the middle in the league then we are ****ed. 

McDonald was excellent and felt Smith and Halkett strolled it. Zlamal had nothing to do and Zanatta showed glimpses of what he can do but obviously lost confidence in the second half after his 1v1 sitter.

Burns and Berra looked in particularly dodgy.

12 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

I thought Bozanic and Burns were very poor tonight. Halkett looked really good and Zanatta did well again. McDonald didn't see too much of the ball at times but scored a great goal. 

I thought MacLean might have had more of an influence on the game but he was very quiet. 

Overall, we strolled to victory but I'd have liked a couple more goals. 

Agree about Burns and Bozanic, but IMO the most disappointing of them all tonight was Clare.

StevenNaismith

Bobby Burns turned in one of the worst performances I’ve seen in a long time tonight. Almost everything he done in the game was wrong. In his defence though, he isn’t a full back. Doesn’t excuse his passing though which was dreadful from the first minute.

If Whyte is fit and going to be first choice and with the emergence of Hickey I’d be tempted to put Bobby out on loan again.

Randy Marsh
1 hour ago, tartofmidlothian said:

This post sums the match up exactly.

How would you know? You don't go to games.

Guest ToqueJambo
7 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

HeHe, is Hearts away/ third strip green? (assuming we are in red)

Nae far off the Hearts player gif I saw on John McGinn the other day

I'm looking forward to it, hopefully it will be a cracker

I was surprised last season just how dirty a team McInnes has turned Aberdeen into.

A_A wehatethehibs

1-1 and 2-0 against lower league sides does not do much to alleviate the Hearts goalscoring concern.

Results wise we have started with the minimum required to get out of the group.

Goals is the area we’re lacking, proof of the pudding is still not there. Looking for more goals from the next 2 games. Killer instinct is in question, fair enough Cowdenbeath scrapped second half to avoid a skelping but Hearts at that point should have raised the intensity to the next level. It sounds more like we coasted.

Positives are Halkett and McDonald - the goalscorers. Goals are all-important. Hopefully that’s the tap turned on for them, it needs to be turned on for Washington, Walker and Ikpeazu. 

Do I see Clare and Bozanic senior midfield generals in Hearts charge to Europe and silverware? Is the pope a Muslim? 

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

1-1 and 2-0 against lower league sides does not do much to alleviate the Hearts goalscoring concern.

Goals is the area we’re lacking, proof of the pudding is still not there. Looking for more goals from the next 2 games. Killer instinct is in question, fair enough Cowdenbeath scrapped second half to avoid a skelping but Hearts at that point should have raised the intensity to the next level. It sounds more like we coasted.

Positives are Halkett and McDonald - the goalscorers. Goals are all-important. Hopefully that’s the tap turned on for them, it needs to be turned on for Washington, Walker and Ikpeazu

Do I see Clare and Bozanic senior midfield generals in Hearts charge to Europe and silverware? Is the pope a Muslim? 

Nothing like starting the season off with a bit of positivity 😂 

113961.jpg?quality=90&resize=620,413

Edited by ToqueJambo

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Nothing like starting the season off with a bit of positivity 😂 

Got the right to an opinion.

Are you singing and dancing over a couple of narrow results against lower league sides? 

Hearts do not score enough goals that is the fact of the matter. We are all looking at Craig Levein to resolve that and rightly so. 

thehibsareintheirbeds
6 hours ago, Smithee said:

That's the goals up on the official site

https://heartstv.heartsfc.co.uk/tv/video/vod/2188

Two good finishes. As far as I can see from the the dodgy camera angle the second goal did indeed look like some liquid football. 

Edited by thehibsareintheirbeds

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Are you singing and dancing over a couple of narrow results against lower league sides? 

Hearts do not score enough goals that is the fact of the matter. We are all looking at Craig Levein to resolve that and rightly so. 

Yes, I do celebrate wins and forget about defeats. Levein has started by telling them off for being greedy. Washington would have two by now if players had passed to him for an open goal instead of going themselves.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Yes, I do celebrate wins and forget about defeats. Levein has started by telling them off for being greedy. Washington would have two by now if players had passed to him for an open goal instead of going themselves.

I know levein has said he wanted more goals but we did not get more goals. Not passing to someone who is in on an open goal is the same as you missing an open goal yourself, so that’s Zanatta and Walker both missed open goal chances. You have to question Washington’s shout too, have they maybe not known that he’s there? Same thing has happened twice in a row, serious missed opportunities. That will all get sorted in training but for the fans it’s about the proof, we need proof that the goals problem is resolved.

Before these games everyone said the same thing, should get 2 or 3 against Dundee United and 5 or 6 against all other sides, so it is fair enough to say we’ve fallen short in the first 2 games, we have 2 more chances to bag goals against teams who are nowhere near Hearts and will gift us 20 odd chances as Cowdenbeath did last night. We need that clinical edge.

Hearts are involved in far too many scrappy 1-0 or 1-1 type games under Levein, tight games which go either way. That is caused by a lack of killer instinct, an inability to kill games off. 

Did the state of the pitch - I know it should be in good nick - have any bearing on any of our play?

You just need to look at the other games to see any win is a good win. Who decides that 2-0 isn't good enough but 3-0 is fine. Absolute nonsense.

Of course it would be great if we smashed in 5/6/7 but come on FFS.

portobellojambo1
49 minutes ago, Boof said:

Did the state of the pitch - I know it should be in good nick - have any bearing on any of our play?

Before we headed over for the game I had thoughts that the playing surface, from previous experience of Central Park, had the potential to become an issue. Was actually quite surprised when we arrived to see the pitch looked in reasonably decent nick, although did get the impression once the game started that the grass maybe needed cut a little shorter and it was that which was impacting on a few passes not reaching their targets.

The Treasurer
19 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Before we headed over for the game I had thoughts that the playing surface, from previous experience of Central Park, had the potential to become an issue. Was actually quite surprised when we arrived to see the pitch looked in reasonably decent nick, although did get the impression once the game started that the grass maybe needed cut a little shorter and it was that which was impacting on a few passes not reaching their targets.

Without sounding like Brenda I have to agree. The ball wasn't running well on that surface.

Just as well we only hoof it in the air all the time :rolleyes5:

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Positives are Halkett and McDonald - the goalscorers. Goals are all-important. Hopefully that’s the tap turned on for them, it needs to be turned on for Washington, Walker and Ikpeazu. 

Makes kind of sense but when you look at the results at livi, hibs, St Johnstone it clearly shows teams are still in pre season and building up. 

Doing the minimum to progress in a cup is perfectly OK. 

I agree, I'd like more goals but we've chopped and changed up top  so again it's all about match fitness/ sharpnes, judge in a few games regarding goals. 

Last year we scored few until the last lc group game v the strongest team in the group. 

KyleLafferty

Some hearts fans have zero respect for lower league teams 😂. It’s pretty much still pre season can argue all you want but it’s the middle of July. We have another 4/5 weeks to get fit and ready to go As we can. 

Im happy we controlled the game and have them nothing. We’ve been shocking for giving stupid chances to teams. Kept concentration at all times. Clean sheets no matter against who will give Bobby and defence confidence.

Watching that game last night, why do we keep hitting big punts up the park. I dont recall a single opportunity being created from that. Every chance we created was when the ball went through the midfield players, mostly McDonald to be fair, so why persist with that nonsense. Go with a midfielder 4 of Jake  walker,clare,McDonald with washington and one other up top and start playing football. That midfield is good on the ball , can create and score, maybe lacking in dig but its football not wrestling after all.....players are there now who can move the ball quickly, can beat a man so lets use that to our advantage.

9 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Correct!

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

You're looking at the wrong man then.....

19 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

You're looking at the wrong man then.....

Amazing!  Whenever the name Levein comes up they pounce immediately - every thread

A_A wehatethehibs
55 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Makes kind of sense but when you look at the results at livi, hibs, St Johnstone it clearly shows teams are still in pre season and building up. 

Doing the minimum to progress in a cup is perfectly OK. 

I agree, I'd like more goals but we've chopped and changed up top  so again it's all about match fitness/ sharpnes, judge in a few games regarding goals. 

Last year we scored few until the last lc group game v the strongest team in the group. 

Livi, Hibs and St Johnstone are SHITE football clubs I will never accept Hearts ever being compared to that shite. We are bigger than clubs of that level. 

I do accept your point though, its very early doors and there are some encouraging signs. Better to be doing the minimum than falling below it and crashing out Cathro style.

But I also will not relent on the pressure to see Hearts start scoring goals, as far as I’m concerned we’ve been in a severe goalscoring drought since Naismiths first injury around October 2018 and at this time we are not out of that crisis yet. The head coach and director of football is responsible for the performance levels, goalscoring is fundamental to winning football matches. All eyes are on Craig Levein - from his comments he is well aware that goals are our problem. We cannot have another season where all the forwards, midfielders and wingers are contributing poor tally’s of 2 or 3 goals outside Naismith. We need more from the forward players. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Remember gomis wondering where the ball had gone a few years back in the match there. He had ran through an area that looked like a long jump pit and left the ball 3 yards behind him.

It is what it is, a fekkin racetrack!

John Findlay
3 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Last time I went to an away game at Cowdenbeath we won 1-2 with a last minute Brad McKay penalty. Funny old game football.

tartofmidlothian
9 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

How would you know? You don't go to games.

:rofl: Do people just post this at random to other posters? Somebody better tell that to my season ticket then.

14 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Livi, Hibs and St Johnstone are SHITE football clubs I will never accept Hearts ever being compared to that shite. We are bigger than clubs of that level. 

I do accept your point though, its very early doors and there are some encouraging signs. Better to be doing the minimum than falling below it and crashing out Cathro style.

But I also will not relent on the pressure to see Hearts start scoring goals, as far as I’m concerned we’ve been in a severe goalscoring drought since Naismiths first injury around October 2018 and at this time we are not out of that crisis yet. The head coach and director of football is responsible for the performance levels, goalscoring is fundamental to winning football matches. All eyes are on Craig Levein - from his comments he is well aware that goals are our problem. We cannot have another season where all the forwards, midfielders and wingers are contributing poor tally’s of 2 or 3 goals outside Naismith. We need more from the forward players. 

The same old repetitive guff.  Last night was little more than a training exercise where the team might otherwise have had the starting options of Naismith, Haring, new MF target, Morrison, Mulraney and even Soapy (who can set up attacks).