Things fans of other clubs won’t know about Hearts

letsalldothebeattie

31 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Sorry, but neither of these are correct. 

We've never been in the group stage of the competition now known as the Europa League. We got to the group stage of the UEFA Cup in 2004.

It may have been the first time the round robin group format was introduced but the groups also included Rangers, Newcastle and Boro from the UK. 

We were second side to win In Basle. Man United had beaten them a couple of years before. 

Apologies I'll amend. 

From Wikipedia :  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_Midlothian_F.C._in_European_football

Hearts became both the first–ever Scottish club and the first–ever British club to reach the new group stage format of the 2004–05 UEFA Cup (now the UEFA Europa League)

Edited by Cwapsy

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martoon

• Hearts Heritage

• Samuel Camazzola

• Marvin

13 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Aye.

We played St Andrews in a play off match to see what name was to be kept. Hearts won and took their strips, also keeping our beautiful name. 

Imagine how different it might have been.

6 hours ago, Ari Gold said:

I’m sure Chelsea got to 25/26 against Fulham.

Is this treated as a real derby?

It is. The rivalry possibly means more to Fulham these days as Chelsea tend to look upon others such as Spurs, West Ham and Millwall as enemies. Both footballing and, certainly in Millwall's case, hooligan.

Fulham's record v. Chelsea is absolutely honking.

been here before
1 hour ago, Nobreath said:

This must be the Red white and blue strip.

heart of midlothian fc 1877

Interesting to note the lettering isnt HMFC as you'd perhaps think it would be but is infact MFBC.

Now nae goolifying....

Is Robbo the top scorer in any derbies in the world? I'm not sure but for those that like to check these things out, could be worth a look.

3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

No other club in the English or Scottish league has scored 132 goals in 34 games season. 1957-58 Scottish champions. Heart of Midlothian did.

Apologies for being pedantic but Hearts' 132 goals is a top flight record in Scotland and England.

The actual record is held by Raith Rovers. 142 goals in 34 games when they won the old Division 2 in 1937/38

4 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Is Robbo the top scorer in any derbies in the world? I'm not sure but for those that like to check these things out, could be worth a look.

Haven't checked but I think McCoist scored 27 v. Celtic in exactly the same span of time, 1983-98, as Robbo. 

41 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Imagine how different it might have been.

I shudder to think ?.

Obviously with what we know now we couldn't entertain the thought of something different. 

1 hour ago, Cwapsy said:

First British club to qualify for the group stages of the new Europa League

First British team to win in Basel :)

At the time we were the first to win at the Olympic stadium after beating Austria Vienna away from home in the old UEFA cup. No other team domestic or national had done that. 

New poster here. I know the McRae's battalion was mentioned, but more specifically; 16 first team players enlisted and conducted their military training whilst challenging for the title, only to be pipped by Celtic by 4 points in the 14-15 season. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
57 minutes ago, been here before said:

Interesting to note the lettering isnt HMFC as you'd perhaps think it would be but is infact MFBC.

Now nae goolifying....

In the HMFC Pictorial History book it says that stands for Mid-lothian Foot-ball Club.

jambos are go!

To much criticism Hearts became the first Scottish club to formally ditch the traditional W formation and play 4--2 4 under Tommy Walker and John Harvey. They dropped a winger and played Danny Ferguson (a full back) as a midfield grafter. 

Treachery was the cry in the press but within a couple of years it was the norm and other systems evolved.

19 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

Did not know this. Top facting ??

This kind of comment makes some of us feel rather old. 

No other Edinburgh club has ever won through three rounds in a European competition (Hearts did in 1988 - 89).

3 hours ago, Nobreath said:

On head to heads against  Man City

Played 12   Won 6    d 1    L 5   :cool:

Some high scoring games there as well typically in post season Australia tours. .

Byyy The Light
15 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

This kind of comment makes some of us feel rather old. 

Sorry auld yin. 

been here before
1 hour ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

In the HMFC Pictorial History book it says that stands for Mid-lothian Foot-ball Club.

Correct. ?

Pick a drop zone as Ben would say.

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Cwapsy said:

Apologies I'll amend. 

From Wikipedia :  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_Midlothian_F.C._in_European_football

Hearts became both the first–ever Scottish club and the first–ever British club to reach the new group stage format of the 2004–05 UEFA Cup (now the UEFA Europa League)

I'm not sure if Rangers and the other British clubs were required to play a qualifier like we did (v Braga) but we'd only have been the first club to have reached that stage if our knock out tie was played before the others. Not a real claim to have. 

29 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Sorry auld yin. 

The other thing you might not know is that because of what happened in 1965, Hearts successfully proposed a rule change and Scotland adopted goal difference before England (possibly before most other countries). That might mean that Hearts introduced goal difference to world football; I'm not sure.

52 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

No other Edinburgh club has ever won through three rounds in a European competition (Hearts did in 1988 - 89).

Not sure if this is accurate............as much as I'd like it to be.

7 hours ago, Craig Herbertson said:

John Walker, played for Heart of Midlothian during the late 1890s and is Scotland’s earliest known black professional footballer,

Certainly never knew that.  And yet another Waker to boot.  

been here before
4 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Aye.

We played St Andrews in a play off match to see what name was to be kept. Hearts won and took their strips, also keeping our beautiful name. 

Hmmmm not sure about that. From the Pictorial History 1874-1984...

20190627_182300.jpg.3fa0444afd1158b86eb15814c7348264.jpg

Also vis-a-vis the striped strips that were dyed. Heres a picture from the 1877-78 season. It shows a "dyed" maroon top for the first time but with the stripes clearly evident underneath...

20190627_181520.jpg.0c62b7e99b55ea52d8b18b9c10aa20e8.jpg

The cup in the picture is the Edinburgh FA Cup and was the first trophy won by the club. They near Hibs 3-2 in the 4th replay at Powburn on 20th April 1878.

Byyy The Light
32 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

The other thing you might not know is that because of what happened in 1965, Hearts successfully proposed a rule change and Scotland adopted goal difference before England (possibly before most other countries). That might mean that Hearts introduced goal difference to world football; I'm not sure.

?? Love learning these wee things 

22 minutes ago, been here before said:

Hmmmm not sure about that. From the Pictorial History 1874-1984...

20190627_182300.jpg.3fa0444afd1158b86eb15814c7348264.jpg

Also vis-a-vis the striped strips that were dyed. Heres a picture from the 1877-78 season. It shows a "dyed" maroon top for the first time but with the stripes clearly evident underneath...

20190627_181520.jpg.0c62b7e99b55ea52d8b18b9c10aa20e8.jpg

The cup in the picture is the Edinburgh FA Cup and was the first trophy won by the club. They near Hibs 3-2 in the 4th replay at Powburn on 20th April 1878.

Yes, I have the pictorial book but I don’t think it tells the whole story.  

I’d have to check the source(could be a club historian piece on the Hearts website) but I definitely read the respective affiliated players to either side still played a game to decide matters. 

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

At the time we were the first to win at the Olympic stadium after beating Austria Vienna away from home in the old UEFA cup. No other team domestic or national had done that. 

“Three days after a struggling for a draw at Love Street - it was a delight” 

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'm not sure if Rangers and the other British clubs were required to play a qualifier like we did (v Braga) but we'd only have been the first club to have reached that stage if our knock out tie was played before the others. Not a real claim to have. 

13 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Ignoring the change in competition name this is in fact correct. We qualified on the same day as the hun but our away game in braga kicked off at tea time and rangers kicked off after our game finished. 

I watched both in broadfields boozer next to the Scottie and felt rough as **** at work the next day?

As mentioned above, not really a claim to have. Boro and Newcastle were also in the groups that season. 

Benny Factor
7 hours ago, martoon said:

Was that the ridiculous Syme decision at Parkhead?

A sliced, miscued clearance that couldn't have been done deliberately in 100 attempts and that trumpet punished us. 

He'd have given the same decision at the other end, like. ?

Nope, it was against Celtic, but at Tynecastle..... and it was none other than our current manager who passed the ball back.

2 hours ago, Busby8 said:

Not sure if this is accurate............as much as I'd like it to be.

Look up Hibs European Record, easily found.

letsalldothebeattie

Want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I’ve sent my bit into FourFourTwo as it’s needed for tomorrow and included 4/5 suggestions from this thread and will wait and see which bit or bits will be included in the Hearts page in the season preview edition of the magazine along with everything else that was needing answered for the article 

Edited by letsalldothebeattie

Hearts Heritage
21 hours ago, superjack said:

During the cup run in 1891, in a cup game against falkirk, a hearts player conceded an indirect free kick due to a deliberate hand ball. This lead to the authorities realising that an indirect free kick was insufficient so the penalty kick was introduced. Incidentally  this was the first cup that hearts won.

Not quite correct. It was against East Stirlingshire. At 1-1 Jimmy Adams fisted the ball out from under the bar. No indirect free kick was given at all.

This led the SFA to support the Irish FA's proposal at the International Football Association Board on 2nd June 1891.

1891060201.jpg

NB no penalty spot any point on the 12 yard line.

Edited by Hearts_Museum

Hearts Heritage
6 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I’ve sent my bit into FourFourTwo as it’s needed for tomorrow and included 4/5 suggestions from this thread and will wait and see which bit or bits will be included in the Hearts page in the season preview edition of the magazine along with everything else that was needing answered for the article 

Beware not all them are correct.

letsalldothebeattie
1 minute ago, Hearts_Museum said:

I know. I think I’ve done well to avoid the wrong ones 

been here before
7 minutes ago, Hearts_Museum said:

5 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

I know. I think I’ve done well to avoid the wrong ones 

Go on then a wee bit of fun if you're up for it...

beattie to list the ones he's sent in and Museum to confirm if they're correct?

Edited by been here before

Doctor FinnBarr
44 minutes ago, EarnockJambo said:

Nope, it was against Celtic, but at Tynecastle..... and it was none other than our current manager who passed the ball back.

No idea which was the first one given but the one Martoon mentioned did happen. Midweek game at Parkhead and I'm certain it was Hogg who sclaffed the ball in an attempted clearance which went over his head towards Henry. Henry had plenty time to launch the ball anywhere but instead shouted to Syme asking if it was ok to pick it up. Syme nodded, Henry picked it up, lineman flags and Syme blows.

Hearts Heritage
7 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

As I was told by my Grandad, Hearts originally played in a white jersey but when they amalgamated with St Andrews they adopted St Andrews' colours of red, white & blue hoops.  After a game the jerseys were put in the wash and came out maroon.  And so the legend began...

Hearts went defunct in 1876 due to lack of members. The ex Hearts players started playing for St Andrews. Then Hearts reappeared in January 1877.

As far as we are aware the strips running is just a myth but they may have been deliberatly dyed.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I would have said Henry Smith,  but the whole world knows about Henry Smith 

I think we are the only club to be in the blast zone of a COMAH site. Falkirk are just outside and were denied a fourth stand to minimise casualties. (If memory serves me right) ?

Highest attendance for a single fixture.  Scottish cup semi v Motherwell 1952, one fixture that went to two replays with total attendance of 238,015! (98,547; 80,000 and 59,468)

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

So chronologically which British team was first ever to qualify? Of course it’s a ‘claim’. It’s a fact which you said was not a fact. 

Anyhoo, I’m on the happy train so if you want to think that another team was the first to qualify then crack on. 

For me, they all qualified for the same round in the same season. If one team had the final whistle blown before the others, it all seems a bit Hibs putting it in a roll of honour and getting it published in a national magazine. 

Samuel Camazzola
5 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Not sure I mentioned rolls of honour, I was just pointing out you were wrong to state the poster was incorrect in stating were were the first team to qualify. 

I think you need to read the posts again. I said it was incorrect to state Hearts were first British team to qualify for Europa League groups. ? 

7 hours ago, jambonian said:

Bobby Walker has 33 but not all in competitive matches. Messi will most likely end his career with more goals in the catalan derby and el classico, although that's not a derby.

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

4 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

No you didn’t. You called him out on two points, pedantically mentioning the name of the competition had changed as well as stating that other British teams qualified at the same time. 

You obviously forgot our game was the earlier kick off, it’s no big deal ? 

Scenario clearly detailed in previous post. 

Not only had the competition been rebranded, the format was changed when the Europa League was introduced. Effectively, a different competition. 

We could also put our name to being the first team to win a live televised match of the SPL era whilst sporting names and numbers on our shirts. ? 

1 hour ago, Hearts_Museum said:

Hearts went defunct in 1876 due to lack of members. The ex Hearts players started playing for St Andrews. Then Hearts reappeared in January 1877.

As far as we are aware the strips running is just a myth but they may have been deliberatly dyed.

Interesting ... does that mean we died then? Ie we did in 1876 what Rangers took until 2012 to do?

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

It’s ok not to remember what time a game kicked off 15 years ago. But dull this so let’s leave it there. 

Were we not the first team in Europe to qualify since our game finished before others? Seems a bit lame to go for the first British team title when it was only a 1 in 4 chance. 

?