Things fans of other clubs won’t know about Hearts

letsalldothebeattie

3 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Add in we got the rule changed and a lot of non Hearts fans wouldn't be the wiser. 

Pretty common knowledge for Hearts fans tho... 

Indeed it is............. or at least I thought it was.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martoon

• Hearts Heritage

• Samuel Camazzola

• Marvin

Allowayjambo1874
4 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Serious:- Origin of name Heart of Midlothian

After the Old Tollbooth (later referred to as HoM)

(not the dance hall Heart of Midlothian?)

Not Serious (but true):- Gorgie Rules (and always will!)!!

I think it was a dance club (as in men who were members of an organisation ) not a physical location and the club was named after the old tollbooth, with legend having it that whilst hanging around together a local police bobby suggested they get a football to play the new game that was becoming popular.

Allowayjambo1874

The terrible trio who scored over 700 competitive goals  amassed a grand total of 6 Scotland caps between them. 

First goalscorer for scotland in World Cup finals was Jimmy Murray from Hearts.

7 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We’ve got the funniest and most honest poster, of any football forum, throughout the entirety of the internet!

FTFY

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

FTFY

I actually enjoyed that post. Was nothing to do with Hearts and it was something positive!

We are probably the only team to be losing in a cup final before the official kick off time. Need something more cheerful than that tho.

letsalldothebeattie
7 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

This is a really enjoyable thread. 

The goal average/goal difference one is the clear winner.

But for an English audience how about:

In the last decade, Hearts have played both 2019 Champions League finalists, Liverpool and Tottenham, in European competition, drawing the games at Anfield and White Hart Lane.

And if my memory is correct we were the only side that season to keep a clean sheet at White Hart Lane 

13 minutes ago, TheStig said:

We are probably the only team to be losing in a cup final before the official kick off time. Need something more cheerful than that tho.

And leading in one before 3pm too? Both against Rangers.

The only ground at which we clinched league titles in the 20th century was Love Street.

Nookie Bear

If it’s for an English audience we could remind them that Dave Mackay was a legend up here long before Spurs came calling. 

And we were always his team. 

9 hours ago, been here before said:

There is a nod to the 2012 Final in the Eddie The Eagle biopic...

eddie-screengrab.jpg.8695b8fc5a505275a2950982a70e90f8.jpg

There are a few cheeky digs at hubz in that film.

7 hours ago, martoon said:

I know Arsenal reached 21 v. Spurs in the naughties (5-1 Spurs in a LC tie in 2008 stopped it).

Liverpool are getting close v. Everton. 18/19 iar I think.

C'mon the Toffees. :lol:

I’m sure Chelsea got to 25/26 against Fulham.

Is this treated as a real derby?

Scoring 132 goals in the Championship winning 57/58 season is unlikely to be beaten?

Only club to have a goal difference exceeding 100.

Edited by Boris

All roads lead to Gorgie

The early members of the team established their Headquarters at " Mother Anderson's" Tavern on West Crosscauseway. They also used it as a changing room before walking to the East Meadows to play matches. Where the tavern was located is now part of a Leslie Deans property shop so still a Hearts connection of sorts today.

sandylejambo

All season ticket purchasers must bring in their MENSA certificate before being issued with said ticket, HHGH, FTH.

1) That we brought Hibs back from extinction by playing against their phoenix club and lobbying for them to be allowed in to the Scottish League system.

2) That Hearts supporters played a part in Hands off Hibs when Mercer wanted to shut them down.

3) That Hibs supporters actively tried to delay our CVA and put Hearts in to liquidation.

Three things that the football world should be aware off, but many are not.

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Marvin said:

There are a few cheeky digs at hubz in that film.

Any reason why?*

*obviously the answer is "why not?" Just wondering if there was a Jambo connection.

We have award winning pies. 

While you're there, ask the good guys at FFT why they've never done a piece on our admin and FoH takeover? From a monthly subscriber.

14 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Any reason why?*

*obviously the answer is "why not?" Just wondering if there was a Jambo connection.

There was a thread in the Shed about it. Something to do with the director having a Hearts connection iirc.

Craig Herbertson

John Walker, played for Heart of Midlothian during the late 1890s and is Scotland’s earliest known black professional footballer,

11 hours ago, superjack said:

During the cup run in 1891, in a cup game against falkirk, a hearts player conceded an indirect free kick due to a deliberate hand ball. This lead to the authorities realising that an indirect free kick was insufficient so the penalty kick was introduced. Incidentally  this was the first cup that hearts won.

That is the fact I was thinking about thanks

John Findlay

No other club in the English or Scottish league has scored 132 goals in 34 games season. 1957-58 Scottish champions. Heart of Midlothian did.

11 hours ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

When Hibs were formed they faced a lot of resistance for being an "Irish" club.  It was Hearts who helped break down the barriers and help Hibs to be accepted by Scottish football.

"During the first few years of their history, Hibs played their matches on The Meadows of the south side of Edinburgh. Hibs established themselves in Scottish football after overcoming some initial sectarian resistance to an Irish club. A note from the Scottish Football Association stated that:

“We are catering for Scotsmen, not Irishmen”

Ironically, Hibs' future rivals Hearts played a significant role in breaking down this resistance, as they defied rules which stated that no club should play matches against the Irish club. Hearts provided the opposition in Hibs' first match on Christmas Day 1875, which Hearts won 1–0. The persistence of Canon Hannan and Whelahan meant that Hibs were eventually accepted by the governing bodies."

That's a belter!

Only club in world football where upon relegation, our rivals were going to miss their regular horsings by us so much that they insisted on getting relegated themselves.

21 minutes ago, Gregorski said:

Only club in world football where upon relegation, our rivals were going to miss their regular horsings by us so much that they insisted on getting relegated themselves.

:jjyay: 

On the subject of clubs helping each other we were helped by some of gate receipts at Partick, Motherwell, Inverness and St Johnstone in 2013/14 administration season.

And Celtic contributed to the cost of the War Memorial. 

Some decent info too on Wikipedia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_Midlothian_F.C.

Edited by Mikey1874

We were the first to get punished after the pass back rule got introduced and Big Henry unfortunately picked the ball up resulting in an indirect free kick which resulted in a goal to the opposition.

First club out with the Old Firm to win a double. 1959/60. I think we still are the only club to win the League/League Cup in the same season. 

Just now, Marvin said:

We were the first to get punished after the pass back rule got introduced and Big Henry unfortunately picked the ball up resulting in an indirect free kick which resulted in a goal to the opposition.

Was that the ridiculous Syme decision at Parkhead?

A sliced, miscued clearance that couldn't have been done deliberately in 100 attempts and that trumpet punished us. 

He'd have given the same decision at the other end, like. ?

First Scottish team to build new stand and forget to order seats ? ok everyone knows this.

Edited by Turkishcap
Being a tit

AlphonseCapone
29 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Hearts early colours were red, white and blue.  

Is this one definitely true? I thought I read it was a myth. The story is that the red, white and blue strips got dyed in the wash and came out Maroon eh? 

itsnomarooned

Not a fact or anything but the whole 1-9-0-5-1-2 thing just quite an astonishing coincidence of circumstances.

7 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Is this one definitely true? I thought I read it was a myth. The story is that the red, white and blue strips got dyed in the wash and came out Maroon eh? 

St Andrews colours, at team that we absorbed in to HMFC. I think we paid homage to them by wearing hoops of those colours.

8 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

That is believe is a myth. It's such a nice story, I hope it is true.

8 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

It's true. There are team photographs, albeit in b&w, where the shirts are maroon but the red, white and blue hoops design can still be seen. 

First British club to qualify for the group stages of the new Europa League

First British team to win in Basel :)

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

No other club in the English or Scottish league has scored 132 goals in 34 games season. 1957-58 Scottish champions. Heart of Midlothian did.

Also inaugural in authorities changing Goal Average to Goal Difference.

Absolute Scenes

Our rivals turned up to relegate us, had thrown a relegation party - only to get beat by us, and in turn ended up getting relegated themselves

17 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

St Andrews colours, at team that we absorbed in to HMFC. I think we paid homage to them by wearing hoops of those colours.

As I was told by my Grandad, Hearts originally played in a white jersey but when they amalgamated with St Andrews they adopted St Andrews' colours of red, white & blue hoops.  After a game the jerseys were put in the wash and came out maroon.  And so the legend began...

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Average of 3.9 goals per game!

31 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

And that's why the saltire is in the hearts badge.

25 minutes ago, Cwapsy said:

And Austria Vienna as well.

Allowayjambo1874
30 minutes ago, Cwapsy said:

The Basel one is a myth I’m afraid , Celtic won there in 1963 for starters 

Samuel Camazzola
32 minutes ago, Cwapsy said:

Sorry, but neither of these are correct. 

We've never been in the group stage of the competition now known as the Europa League. We got to the group stage of the UEFA Cup in 2004.

It may have been the first time the round robin group format was introduced but the groups also included Rangers, Newcastle and Boro from the UK. 

We were second side to win In Basle. Man United had beaten them a couple of years before. 

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Aye.

We played St Andrews in a play off match to see what name was to be kept. Hearts won and took their strips, also keeping our beautiful name.