Things fans of other clubs won’t know about Hearts

letsalldothebeattie

letsalldothebeattie

I have been asked today to do a piece for FourFourTwo Season Preview edition on Hearts and one of the final questions I’ve been given is the title of this thread. Been sitting thinking about this for a wee while and I can’t think of something. Any help would be much appreciated 

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martoon

• Hearts Heritage

• Samuel Camazzola

• Marvin

alwaysthereinspirit
3 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

I have been asked today to do a piece for FourFourTwo Season Preview edition on Hearts and one of the final questions I’ve been given is the title of this thread. Been sitting thinking about this for a wee while and I can’t think of something. Any help would be much appreciated 

Scottish football fans? or other football fans?

Fan owned.

letsalldothebeattie
Just now, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Scottish football fans? or other football fans?

Fan owned.

Fans of other clubs. Doesn’t specify Scottish or other

Byyy The Light

Throw in the most one sided derby record chat. Ok some folk will know it but majority won’t and it gets it out to a wide audience ??

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

1965, lost the league on goal average to Kilmarnock 

1986, lost the league on goal difference to Celtic

If goal difference had been used in 1965 we would have won the league.  If goal average had been used in 1986 we would have won the league.

13 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

werent we something to do with the handball rule? or at least the first punished by it to concede a penalty?

It was the offside rule if I remember correctly. 

We played one half with it, and one half without it, against Kilmarnock. Think we ended up pumping them when the offside rule wasn't in force.  Big Fissickle Hertz pumping it long eh? :lol:

Edited by tian447

Byyy The Light
5 minutes ago, Queensland Jambo said:

If goal difference had been used in 1965 we would have won the league.  If goal average had been used in 1986 we would have won the league.

Did not know this. Top facting ??

letsalldothebeattie
5 minutes ago, Queensland Jambo said:

This is a belter. I didn’t know this 

TorinoJambo
6 minutes ago, tian447 said:

We played one half with it, and one half without it, against Kilmarnock. Think we ended up pumping them when the offside rule wasn't in force.  Big Fissickle Hertz pumping it long eh? :lol:

We won 8-2 with Ford scoring 4 or 5. Apparently 7 of the goals were onside in the normal way.

Hearts have never beaten Rangers at Hampden (not a good fact, tbf).  

Stranraer (1870) and Heart of Midlothian (1874), two of the oldest clubs in Scotland, have played each other, competitively, just 4 times. 

Apologies. No use to the op but facts that I find astonishing. 

Edited by martoon

pharmaceutical01

The close association of the club and the Novel by Sir Walter Scott....the club’s crescent is based on a mosaic in the high street where the old tollbooth used to stand

11 minutes ago, tian447 said:

It was a friendly test match for ‘no offside’ rule assessment - played just after we lost the league to killie on goal average (0.04 of a goal?). I wasn’t at the test match but think we scored loads and won by a huge margin. [I was at the league decider match in north enclosure right in the corner standing on the goal mouth cover boards]. The ‘no offside’ test was deemed a failure!

The chants at league decided match still haunt me....

Killie Fans:- “Killie”

Hearts Fans:- “Dig a hole”

repeat repeat repeat ...

such innocent days!  

been here before
28 minutes ago, Queensland Jambo said:

Ach thats the one I came on to do.

What about we used to play in red, white and blue hoops.

Only club to win a Scottish Cup Final played outside of Glasgow.

Only Scottish team Kevin Keegan played for.

Edited by been here before

letsalldothebeattie
2 minutes ago, martoon said:

Stranraer (1870) and Heart of Midlothian (1874), two of the oldest clubs in Scotland, have played each other, competitively, just 4 times

I find that one fascinating. Mental to think over all those years we’ve only met competitively that few times 

Just now, letsalldothebeattie said:

I find that one fascinating. Mental to think over all those years we’ve only met competitively that few times 

Our 4-0 Cup win at Stair Park in 2007 was our first ever competitive game down there. 

It's a pointless curiosity, tbh, but astonishing all the same. 

Serious:- Origin of name Heart of Midlothian

After the Old Tollbooth (later referred to as HoM)

(not the dance hall Heart of Midlothian?)

Not Serious (but true):- Gorgie Rules (and always will!)!!

Randy Marsh
3 minutes ago, martoon said:

Our 4-0 Cup win at Stair Park in 2007 was our first ever competitive game down there. 

It's a pointless curiosity, tbh, but astonishing all the same. 

That is amazing.  Even more so than us not playing Greenock Morton for 33 odd years despite just being 1 division apart.

Jambo dans les Pyrenees
2 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

That is amazing.  Even more so than us not playing Greenock Morton for 33 odd years despite just being 1 division apart.

Still remember watching Sandy Clark score there on his debut - on Scotsport on the Sunday afternoon at my Nana’s having some home made soup.  Can taste it now, memories are strange things.

21 minutes ago, martoon said:

Stranraer (1870) and Heart of Midlothian (1874), two of the oldest clubs in Scotland, have played each other, competitively, just 4 times. 

2 remarkable stats. Went to Stranraer Hearts last time they played in 2007, Velicka hat trick I believe. 

been here before
50 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Throw in the most one sided derby record chat. Ok some folk will know it but majority won’t and it gets it out to a wide audience ??

22 in a row must be some sort of a record?

Cruyff Turn

We had a foreign Chairman 100 years ago. 

The original ‘Tynecastle Park’ is somewhere between Wardlaw Street and Wardlaw Terrace. 

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

We’ve got the worst poster, of any football forum, throughout the entirety of the internet!

19 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

As a club, we used to have balls.

Oh, right on cue ...

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

werent we something to do with the handball rule? or at least the first punished by it to concede a penalty?

During the cup run in 1891, in a cup game against falkirk, a hearts player conceded an indirect free kick due to a deliberate hand ball. This lead to the authorities realising that an indirect free kick was insufficient so the penalty kick was introduced. Incidentally  this was the first cup that hearts won.

45 minutes ago, been here before said:

There is a nod to the 2012 Final in the Eddie The Eagle biopic...

eddie-screengrab.jpg.8695b8fc5a505275a2950982a70e90f8.jpg

?? Put my Heart and Soul into that! ?

First Scottish club to adopt the 'Living Wage' in 2014

Ann Budge..."Having reviewed the salary structure across all areas of the club, we propose to implement the nationally-approved Living Wage, across all staff, including part-time and contract workers."

Stephane Grappelli

When Hibs were formed they faced a lot of resistance for being an "Irish" club.  It was Hearts who helped break down the barriers and help Hibs to be accepted by Scottish football.

"During the first few years of their history, Hibs played their matches on The Meadows of the south side of Edinburgh. Hibs established themselves in Scottish football after overcoming some initial sectarian resistance to an Irish club. A note from the Scottish Football Association stated that:

“We are catering for Scotsmen, not Irishmen”

Ironically, Hibs' future rivals Hearts played a significant role in breaking down this resistance, as they defied rules which stated that no club should play matches against the Irish club. Hearts provided the opposition in Hibs' first match on Christmas Day 1875, which Hearts won 1–0. The persistence of Canon Hannan and Whelahan meant that Hibs were eventually accepted by the governing bodies."

8 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

First Scottish club to adopt the 'Living Wage' in 2014

Ann Budge..."Having reviewed the salary structure across all areas of the club, we propose to implement the nationally-approved Living Wage, across all staff, including part-time and contract workers."

Brilliant.  Get that in Beattie.  Well done CJ.  And while none of us like to be vainglorious, we may be the only sports club in the world with two War Memorials.

This is a really enjoyable thread. 

The goal average/goal difference one is the clear winner.

But for an English audience how about:

In the last decade, Hearts have played both 2019 Champions League finalists, Liverpool and Tottenham, in European competition, drawing the games at Anfield and White Hart Lane.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Supported the reformed Hibs getting back into top level football. 

Then helped save them from being "merged" out of existence later.

Then helped them finally win the Scottish Cup by getting them relegated so they could regroup and pull together.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, been here before said:

There is a nod to the 2012 Final in the Eddie The Eagle biopic...

eddie-screengrab.jpg.8695b8fc5a505275a2950982a70e90f8.jpg

What's the story behind that then? Hearts fan in the crew?

1 hour ago, Randy Marsh said:

I remember in the late '70's/early 80's Morton seemed to be the only club we played. Division 1/Premier/Cup/League Cup, it was difficult to keep up at times. :)

1 hour ago, karipidis said:

2 remarkable stats. Went to Stranraer Hearts last time they played in 2007, Velicka hat trick I believe. 

...and first time. :)

1 hour ago, been here before said:

22 in a row must be some sort of a record?

I know Arsenal reached 21 v. Spurs in the naughties (5-1 Spurs in a LC tie in 2008 stopped it).

Liverpool are getting close v. Everton. 18/19 iar I think.

C'mon the Toffees. :lol:

We got refereed in a modern day national Cup Final by a self-confessed rabid hibs fan....... and still won, despite his best efforts.

Edited by Busby8

4 hours ago, Queensland Jambo said:

Good stat, but can't believe this is News to so many.

Clearly us older guys have not been passing the FFS message on that effectively.

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, Queensland Jambo said:

Tragic 

We also championed the change after 65, I think it was changed because of us. 

?

Being top going into the last game twice and then finishing runners up twice is probably unique as well. 

??

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

One of the first Scottish Clubs, ( along with Aberdeen, Celtic and Rangers), to decline the opportunity to play in the newly formed European Cup in season 1955/56, later to be called the Champions League.

Instead, we let a team who finished 5 points behind us the previous season have the opportunity...... and they've conveniently .... ahem .... forgotten about that fact ever since.

They also have some story to tell about floodlights and Brazil if anyone really cares enough to listen ?

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

Good stat, but can't believe this is News to so many.

Clearly us older guys have not been passing the FFS message on that effectively.

Add in we got the rule changed and a lot of non Hearts fans wouldn't be the wiser. 

Pretty common knowledge for Hearts fans tho...