Walker returns ( updated )

Section Q

Mr Elwood P
25 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

So explain why it is that the rules state a player can only sign a pre-contract within 6 months of his existing one ending.? Would be a bit of a redundant rule if he could sign with a year still left, but just not register it. It would also disadvantage him in any negotiations he's having with Wigan, surely.

If he has signed already it means he has negotiated his release from  Wigan. See the David Vanacek saga for an exact replica of this transfer. Not sure why anyone is mentioning pre-contracts, has nothing to do with it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• It should have been ten

• Mr Elwood P

• Jammy T

I am personally happy if this happens. Yes he has something to prove through the way he went out but he’s not the first person to be mind f*^#ed by the dirty weege. He was a young lad who was playing in a team managed by the great Ian Cathro. New players were brought in and there was no team unity. 

His agent only had one thing in mind to get him to rangers so that he lined his pockets. 

Hopefully his injuries haven’t hindered him to much and a gruelling session on the dunes will help that. 

The boy obviously loves the hearts and I for one can’t wait to see him pull on the jersey. 

Yes we can all comment how we hate him for leaving but if he puts on that shirt and plays for us then surely that’s reason enough to want him back! 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, smiler said:

He's meant to be a Hearts man so why does he wear Rangers scarves and dress his laddie in a Rangers top? 

Yuk. 

Seemed happy enough when we beat them, unlike Lafferty when he scored against them, but yet Lafferty was afforded hero worship.

Overall, sceptical those legs will hold up, but apart from the darkest days of Cathro, I honestly believe Walker has been pretty committed. He was often left to carry a team on very young shoulders, and more often than not, he embraced it.

Never have a team of Hearts fans again, I'm a realist, very good player who has a bit of imagination, the question is his fitness, and its a big one

1 minute ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

What you describe with Lafferty would surely come under the heading of 'tapping up' which, in this case, I presume Hearts were happy to allow. But you seem to accept that Walker signing before his Wigan contract is terminated comes under 'the rules aren't always followed' which is basically the point I'm making, so if he has signed, then Hearts and Walker will have broken the rules (unless Wigan are happy to allow it with, I presume, a termination of contact agreement basically in place.

Yeah I think by the letter of the law Walker shouldn’t be speaking to hearts until Wigan give him permission etc. That doesn’t always happen tho and loads of ways round it. Walker coming home to spend time with family for example and just so happens to bump into people from hearts and hearts learn that he’d be open to a return if he was to be released from Wigan.....or someone from Wigan tells him that he isn’t part of the plans and that if he had a club lined up they may terminate his contract etc etc. It’s all under hand stuff but pretty much the norm in football these days. I could tell you a story about how Rangers got the SFA to swap room plans with the Scotland under 21’s so that they could have one of their players share a room with and tell a player they where chasing how amazing life at Rangers is, but that’s for another day. He now plays for Rangers by the way. 

Mr Elwood P
4 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

There is no doubting he has ability.

But he is injury prone and lacks pace. So Levein is making the same mistake again and again and again when it comes to signings.  

How is signing a very successful former player anything like signing Martin, Vanacek, Amankwaa etc?

A lot of the greatest players in our recent history have had two spells at the club:

John Robertson

Dave McPherson 

John Colquhoun 

Rudi Skacel 

Andy Webster 

Christophe Berra

This is exactly what we need. A player who can skip by defenders, score and actually pass and cross a ball. As for the comments about his motivation. Can these detractors name one player who Cathro motivated.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
15 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

If he has signed already it means he has negotiated his release from  Wigan. See the David Vanacek saga for an exact replica of this transfer. Not sure why anyone is mentioning pre-contracts, has nothing to do with it.

If he has negotiated his release from Wigan, then fine, he could have signed, but the nearest we've had to informed progress is that he will sign once the negotiations to terminate his contract are completed. I responded originally with this in mind, but another poster maintained that it is common practise to sign a player (in this case with a year to run on his contract) and just not register it. I used the example of a pre-contract as a way of showing that signing a player with over 6 months left to run must be outside of the rules. I was not suggesting a pre-contract has anything to do with Jamie Walker signing for Hearts.

letsalldothebeattie

A massive win for us if Walker is coming back. On his day a truly fantastic player. Wanted away to go down south but it hasn’t worked so now we are going to be getting a player who will want to prove himself again and that will be great for us if we get the very best Jamie Walker in the coming years 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
21 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Yeah I think by the letter of the law Walker shouldn’t be speaking to hearts until Wigan give him permission etc. That doesn’t always happen tho and loads of ways round it. Walker coming home to spend time with family for example and just so happens to bump into people from hearts and hearts learn that he’d be open to a return if he was to be released from Wigan.....or someone from Wigan tells him that he isn’t part of the plans and that if he had a club lined up they may terminate his contract etc etc. It’s all under hand stuff but pretty much the norm in football these days. I could tell you a story about how Rangers got the SFA to swap room plans with the Scotland under 21’s so that they could have one of their players share a room with and tell a player they where chasing how amazing life at Rangers is, but that’s for another day. He now plays for Rangers by the way. 

I'm a absolutely sure that happens all the time, but there's a massive difference between tapping up a player and getting him to sign with a year still to run on his contract, which the poster I was originally responding to said was the case - ie that Walker has already signed.

Sub4TiddlerMurray

Very happy to see JW coming back. He has real quality and with CL's demand for a fully committed work ethic, we could see the best of him this time round.

...I'm gonna stick my neck out here

...if it works out he could be the closest we come to a Rudi type player :laugh4:

If he can stay fit and regain his form this laddie could go on to become a club legend befitting his family history with the club.

17 minutes ago, Prof said:

This is exactly what we need. A player who can skip by defenders, score and actually pass and cross a ball. As for the comments about his motivation. Can these detractors name one player who Cathro motivated.

Walker knows how to finish and would add the goal out of nothing factor which we really lack in this squad. On the other hand though I think his days of being able to skip past anyone are behind him 

In the championship season we would often struggle to create chances against stuffy opposition but we pretty regularly had players like Walker, Nicholson, Sow, King, Ozturk, Paterson, Keatings or Buaben just taking pot shots which ended up in the net. I don't think we really have that now 

Edited by BigAlim

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, graygo said:

If he can stay fit and regain his form this laddie could go on to become a club legend befitting his family history with the club.

His link is as strong as can be I would say.

was it not proved that the photo at Ibrox was not him but a very similar looking guy..? also, ive seen his kid in Hearts, Liverpool, Barcelona tops etc but never a Rangers top

Lord Beni of Gorgie
12 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Yeah. Sometimes one club suits you. I was pissed off when the Hun turned his head but I'm ok with him coming back. He has a lot to prove and if he is hungry this could be a good signing.

There will be plenty more over the years Jonno, what Scotland always has been and always will be about. Correct stance I believe is to give the boy a chance

When Stevenson left it was under a cloud.

He came back. Made amends and was a great player for us.

Walker should be given the chance to do the same.

manaliveits105

Mulraney and Walker running at defences could be fantastic 

Nice to have a Walker back at the club

Craig Levein doesn’t suffer fools gladly.

If CL is ok with him returning then so am I.

No doubting his ability, Couple that ability with a desire to prove a point and it could work out well.

He needs to get fit and then stay fit, however.

Good news ??

16 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

I'm a absolutely sure that happens all the time, but there's a massive difference between tapping up a player and getting him to sign with a year still to run on his contract, which the poster I was originally responding to said was the case - ie that Walker has already signed.

I’d guess that is hyperbole.

upgotheheads
1 minute ago, manaliveits105 said:

Mulraney and Walker running at defences could be fantastic 

Nice to have a Walker back at the club

Is he a Mulraney type of player any more? Even before he left us his pace had gone after his injury, he might be a good No 10  but winger?

LogicalEric

Pleased with this. The laddie has plenty of talent and will be a big upgrade on what we currently have. Having Naismith in the team with him could bring him on another level. 

Hopefully not the first player to have a nightmare at Wigan then bounce back.

Walter Bishop

Great news. Excellent signing, A Hearts fan and a guy with a wee bit of a point to prove. Exactly what is required. 

Welcome back.

132goals1958
53 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Where is he even going to play? If Naismith is returning surely he'll have the attacking midfield role, and Walker is too slow to play on the wing.

It is a squad game so invariably 14 players play more and more those days. Last year injuries were our undoing and I also suspect Djoum will leave. If Walker displays the form he is capable of then he will be a mainstay in the side.

Mr Elwood P
26 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

If he has negotiated his release from Wigan, then fine, he could have signed, but the nearest we've had to informed progress is that he will sign once the negotiations to terminate his contract are completed. I responded originally with this in mind, but another poster maintained that it is common practise to sign a player (in this case with a year to run on his contract) and just not register it. I used the example of a pre-contract as a way of showing that signing a player with over 6 months left to run must be outside of the rules. I was not suggesting a pre-contract has anything to do with Jamie Walker signing for Hearts.

A contract signed to play for Hearts, when a pre existing contract exists with Wigan, would just be a voidable contract at the instance of Wigan. It wouldn’t have any legal effect. 

OmiyaHearts

If true, he'll have to work a damn sight harder this time to get fans onside. Hopefully he understands what is required and is a better player for it. 

Still a snakey semi-hun but if he plays, I'll (have to) support him.

Given the question marks over his fitness and pace etc can't we get him in as a trialist for a couple of weeks before offering him a contract?

Can easily see this one ending badly for both Walker and Levein if Walker does not show 100% commitment every time he plays. Hope to be proved wrong of course.

We moan about the amount of injuries we have all season and then we sign another injury prone player (that has shat on us before) 

Welcome back :lol:

Portable Badger
46 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Punch Scot Brown in the puss at Parkhead and he's half way to redemption...?

Legend more like

Solely down to Walker how this goes, really needs to start fast and get fans onside quickly. Fans forgive if you are playing well, maybe stay off the social media though! As ever his fitness remains a concern. 

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Can easily see this one ending badly for both Walker and Levein if Walker does not show 100% commitment every time he plays. Hope to be proved wrong of course.

If you think about it, you can easily see every signing Hearts make ending badly. We only pay players £3k to £5k a week. Mostly, these guys are all flops, crocks, mentally weak or inexperienced kids etc. 

If we were spending £30m and signing a player for £100k a week it’s different, you expect a highly disciplined skilful player in perfect physical condition at the peak of his mental powers. 

At our level you've got to roll the dice on guys. There are not many 25 year old cheap midfielders around who have an eye for goal. Walker is worth the gamble, we have a lot to gain out of it and not a lot to lose 

As soon as he pulls on that maroon shirt again all is forgiven from me. He’s a cracking player on his day and hopefully he can stay fit and be a big part in what is looking like a very strong team that is being built. To quote dumb and dumber “just when I think you can’t be any more stupid you go and do something like this..... and totally redeem yourself!” It’s fun being a fickle football fan. 

heartsfc_fan

Got a lot to prove that's for sure.

If we get him firing on all cylinders he'll be a great addition.

49 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Seemed happy enough when we beat them, unlike Lafferty when he scored against them, but yet Lafferty was afforded hero worship.

Overall, sceptical those legs will hold up, but apart from the darkest days of Cathro, I honestly believe Walker has been pretty committed. He was often left to carry a team on very young shoulders, and more often than not, he embraced it.

Never have a team of Hearts fans again, I'm a realist, very good player who has a bit of imagination, the question is his fitness, and its a big one

Totally agree with this 100% think he is a tremendous player and as you say he did carry the team for sure question is the knees but worth the risk I reckon

Even at the age of 26 this is probably the last chance of Walkers career to really make something of himself and prove he was a worthwhile footballer.

If he doesn’t make the absolute most of this opportunity he’s destined for a St Johnstone or Dundee by the time he’s 28 and after that it’s Dunfermline or Raith Rovers before he hits 30.

I hope he realises this and proves all his doubters wrong.

36 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Walker knows how to finish and would add the goal out of nothing factor which we really lack in this squad. On the other hand though I think his days of being able to skip past anyone are behind him 

In the championship season we would often struggle to create chances against stuffy opposition but we pretty regularly had players like Walker, Nicholson, Sow, King, Ozturk, Paterson, Keatings or Buaben just taking pot shots which ended up in the net. I don't think we really have that now 

Eamonn bannon was a great winger also davie cooper the 2 of them were as slow as it gets

JW is not past it he is 26 and isn't as slow as people make out

18Jambo_dave74

Can't say I'm too pleased about this although obviously hope he is a massive success if he does indeed come back. 

We are desperate for more pace in the side and unfortunately my memory of Walker is that before he left his pace had gone and he was no longer as effective out wide. I can't imagine this has got any better since he has left. Going by a few websites it would appear that he has only completed 90 minutes twice since he left us in January 2018 which is a massive concern as that suggests that he is either not good enough to play 90 minutes regularly for either Wigan or Peterborough or that he is not fit enough. An injury prone/ paceless attacking player is really not what we need. 

What I would say is that technically I have always rated Walker, you just need to look at the goals he has scored to see what he is capable of. As others have mentioned some players just fit at certain clubs and hopefully this would be another example. 

In terms of his attitude obviously we need to see a big change from how his last spell ended. I would mitigate that slightly by saying that lots of things went wrong under Cathro. The Rangers saga; Aberdeen red card and other lackluster performances (particularly Motherwell away where his attitude was shocking and was responsible for their goal) are all issues that people will have with him and he will need to deal with that. 

Maroonblood22

It's not his attitude that concerns me this time round, as many have said he's coming back home with a point to prove. It's his fitness, lack of game time since he left and recent / previous injuries which concerns me most.

Hopefully he can stay injury free and we have a chance to get the best out of him.

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Good post. His commitment to Hearts was and never will be in question. The Cathro tenure would've been a struggle for anyone, especially someone with such a close affinity to the club. 

Fact of the matter, a fit Jamie Walker, surrounded by better, more experienced players, ie Naismith and Berra, and not under the same sort of pressure that came with the Cathro debacle, will be a tremendous addition to the squad.

I've said elsewhere there are pluses and minuses with this. He won't need to settle in. He knows what's expected here, and probably knows he's got doubters in the stands. Fit, focused and with his head screwed on he's an asset but he's well short of games from what I can see so it's a fingers crossed job. Milinkovic would have been the same although, I'd suggest Walker has done more in maroon than him. I certainly won't be giving him a hard time. I can't count the stupid things I did in me 20's. Hope he's learned from the experience

CloustonHMFC
1 hour ago, Fun Boaby said:

Mate of mine who knows him, told me on Saturday that he's already signed, just waiting to announce it. 

He hasn’t actually signed, that would be breaking the law however Wigan have told him if he can find another club then he can leave. From what I’m told, all terms with JW are agreed from our side and all that’s left is for him to head to back Wigan to agree his release. Once that’s done and dusted he’ll be back up the road to sign on the dotted line. 

CloustonHMFC
1 hour ago, smiler said:

and dress his laddie in a Rangers top? 

Yuk. 

I follow him on Instagram and have never seen his laddie in a Rangers top. He’s very regularly in a Hearts top and a Liverpool top. 

Edited by clouston1992

Someone on here mentioned players who have left Hearts then returned, another name springs to mind from the past, Tommy Walker, he proved to be quite an asset both as a player then as our greatest ever manager, I wonder if there is something in the Walker family genes that might have been passed on to his descendant ? now that would shut up the doubters and strike fear into the Hibbys.

2 minutes ago, clouston1992 said:

I follow him on Instagram and have never seen his laddie in a Rangers top. He’s very regularly in a Hearts top and a Liverpool top. 

Someone put a pic up on here of his laddie in a Rangers top, his Grandad gave it to him for his birthday or something. Curious as to why if Jamie is so Hearts then why let a toddler wear that shite?