Walker returns ( updated )

Section Q

2 hours ago, Prof said:

Fair point. But surely as he’s he now back playing for Hearts we should all get behind him, not slag him off.

Agree 100% Prof. He’s got my support ??

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• It should have been ten

• Mr Elwood P

• Jammy T

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Agree 100% Prof. He’s got my support ??

Indeed. No point in slagging the player when he's wearing a Hearts jersey.

1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Indeed. No point in slagging the player when he's wearing a Hearts jersey.

Geoff, have you never made a wrong decision in your life?

Jamie is home and, if injury free, I expect him to contribute significantly to the team this coming season.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, Tasavallan said:

Geoff, have you never made a wrong decision in your life?

Jamie is home and, if injury free, I expect him to contribute significantly to the team this coming season.

I've made plenty of wrong decisions but that's moot and it isn't the reason I didn't want Walker. I don't like this signing because (a) his fitness record has been awful and (b) his position isn't where we needed to strengthen. In addition, his career and ability have been on the wrong trajectory.

If he manages to turn that around then that's fantastic. However, I'm highly sceptical that he will be able to.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Blacky87 said:

Brain fart here, did Walker leave before or after we got Naismith?

Regardless, I think out of everyone, Naismith is exactly the sort of character to ground Walker. All the nonsense he went through leaving Rangers and the stick he got, hopefully he can help Walker get his head in the game here.

I think he left in January 17 so just when Naismith arrived, not sure if they played together at all. Naismith will definitely help him o think.

indianajones
5 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I've made plenty of wrong decisions but that's moot and it isn't the reason I didn't want Walker. I don't like this signing because (a) his fitness record has been awful and (b) his position isn't where we needed to strengthen. In addition, his career and ability have been on the wrong trajectory.

If he manages to turn that around then that's fantastic. However, I'm highly sceptical that he will be able to.

Exactly where i am at. 

Add in the factor he is a massive snake too. 

Hope he proves Geoff and I wrong but cant see it personally. 

scott herbertson

Delighted to have him back. One of the few players prior to Naismith who could do exciting things and change games in our favour with some skill.

If Levein can get him fit and confident he will be a big plus

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think he left in January 17 so just when Naismith arrived, not sure if they played together at all. Naismith will definitely help him o think.

Thought that, thanks for the response. Can only see this being a good thing for Walker and it seems he does regret leaving!

Geoff Kilpatrick
7 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Exactly where i am at. 

I skip the snake stuff. This "debate" is heading towards a Pressley debate where people assumed that if you didn't want him as manager it was because he thumped his chest whereas if you pointed out his managerial record was shit, that was conveniently ignored.

9 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Pressley is a Hearts legend.    Fact!

Spot on was an absolute disgrace how Romanov treated him but what does that have to do with walker?. 

scott herbertson
2 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I skip the snake stuff. This "debate" is heading towards a Pressley debate where people assumed that if you didn't want him as manager it was because he thumped his chest whereas if you pointed out his managerial record was shit, that was conveniently ignored.

Agree with you there - instead of attributing motives to people we don't know except through social media and watching them on the pitch, we should assess whether they are going to help the club win games and trophies or not. Pressley won us many games as a player , but from what we saw of his performance as a manager elsewhere was not good enough.

Jamie was excellent as a player for most of his 14 years with us. His last two years make him a risk , but mainly for fitness reasons, and we have to hope the management have done their homework properly on that

Mr Elwood P
2 hours ago, Toggie88 said:

You're assuming he will score and create goals. While he was certainly an excellent player in his first spell (excluding his last year), he hasn't done anything since. 

Also, just because someone did something once, doesn't mean they're going to be able to do the same again to the same standard. 

As I said, hope to be proved wrong but at this moment, I don't see him adding much to the current squad. 

What did Greg Stewart, Scott Allan, Leigh Griffiths etc do down in England?

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

We have some right vaginas in our support.. 

if i played for hearts and got paid £2k per week and rangers offered me £10k (all figures are made up for the purpose of this lecture) is do whatever it took, and if kids their ****ing badge.. 

anyone who who says they wouldn’t is either a liar, or to young to come to the realisation that they’d do it as well..

welcome back jamie Walker, one of our own.. 

Kind of agree but ONLY if their was no comparible offer from England or abroad.

OF would be a last resort for me.

You are right of course it's a short career and you never know what's round the corner injury wise.

It seems to me that he let the whole business grind him down and it affected his form.

It's a fresh start and I hope folk are prepared to give him a chance. 

He's a player who plays much better when in a confident mood if fans encourage rather than criticising him it would make all the difference. 

26 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Spot on was an absolute disgrace how Romanov treated him but what does that have to do with walker?. 

Someone was trying to compare his behavior to Walker.

Basically, it's OK if you want to go to Rangers, but not Celtic.

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

Indeed. As long as his famed "dodgy knees" are ok then I have no problem with this signing. Proven talent.

Jamie Walker played 155 league games over five and a half seasons. Not sure he is as injury prone as some would have us believe?

8 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

It's all water under the bridge now.

Let it go please. No point in holding grudges.

If we get JW fit and eager to impress we will have a valuable addition to what is now looking to be an exciting squad.

That's all that matters really.

FWIW  I would have welcomed Elvis back as manager no problem as long as he was up to the job.

Clearly he wasn't what we needed an that is the important factor.

Same with JW.

It should have been ten
1 hour ago, Jammy T said:

Correct - vaginas and pricks: a perfect match.

Calling supporters “vaginas and pricks” because they don’t appreciate someone disrespecting the club they love in the way he did..

:cornette:

Mr Elwood P
10 hours ago, Stephen Muddie said:

In a word, no... Just look at all the pish players up here who do well there. Look elsewhere... Strna, Dauda, Bjorn Johnsen, Pinilla, the Greek boys Cathro brought etc blah. Some players just do better in some places than others, or even at some clubs in a certain position (Sir Rudolf). Look at certain big names from down south who've flopped here, the most recent being Barton who thought he'd stroll it.

We are quick to slag off our game. No doubt it's a hundred times poorer financed from the British public than the important Brits' league, however it's never a simple matter comparing the Championship with SPL on a like-for-like. Worlds apart financially, yes, but a) that's an unfair agenda at play and bee) the difference between a 20k p/w championship player and a 2k pw SPL journeyman is never a factor of ten. Sometime the North UK journeyman is the better player.

This is the article (at foot of post) which led me to write all this, read it a few weeks ago and was surprised to see Sol Bombscare Bambi playing nearly a full season of EPL. Hope for anyone based on that, maybe even me.

I have a feeling that Walker will do good things for us. We look strong again. I'd like a proven finisher and a niggly barsteward of some kind before season's start (kill two birds with one stone if it's Cumdog or big Laff). Another GK if there's one available within budget maybe, but hardly a pressing priority. Another defender if Souttar is sold also, but we look good. 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/every-ex-hearts-and-hibs-player-who-has-featured-for-english-teams-this-season-and-how-they-ve-fared-1-4927695

That article doesn’t really support your argument. Most of the players in it have ended up in League One or League Two. Players who were absolute standouts, McGinn / Paterson, have flourished down south but many don’t make it. Could you give an example of a player on £2k p/w in Scotland who is better than a player on £20k p/w in England?

Stephen Muddie
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

That article doesn’t really support your argument. Most of the players in it have ended up in League One or League Two. Players who were absolute standouts, McGinn / Paterson, have flourished down south but many don’t make it. Could you give an example of a player on £2k p/w in Scotland who is better than a player on £20k p/w in England?

It does and it doesn't. Sol Bamba is (edit: WAS) a Premier League defender. That supports "my argument"... (NB: It's not an argument, it's fact that it's not as simple as saying "he ripped up the SPL, he'll do the same in League One/hold his own in Championship" or the flip side "He's Joey Barton, player of the year from Premier League shock troops Burnley, he'll absolutely stroll the Jock pub league")

If anything was my argument, it was that sometimes a respected Eredivision/1st Div striker (Dauda) looks shite in Scotland, or AFCON winners (Djoum) fail to set the heather alight. A Hearts flop (Johnsen) goes on to regularly score in Eredivisie and for Norway. Pinilla can't control the ball against St Mirren reserves but hits double figures in Serie A.

I dunno if you checked the whole 11 pages of that list, but Eoin Doyle, who was one of the worst players I've ever seen has hit a good tally in League One, which many Scottish football doom-merchants will say is a higher standard than SPL. There are some abolutely honking players in the Championship and League One. 

As for my point that wage multipliers in no way equal multiples of ability, I can't really state specific examples as I have no idea what the majority of players in our league get paid. Sometimes though, you get random Scottish players who nobody really rates that highly up here going on to have great careers down there (Stevie Naismith was probably one, the boy Fraser at Bournemouth another). Chill Winston.

Edited by Stephen Muddie

Mr Elwood P
14 minutes ago, Stephen Muddie said:

It does and it doesn't. Sol Bamba is (edit: WAS) a Premier League defender. That supports "my argument"... (NB: It's not an argument, it's fact that it's not as simple as saying "he ripped up the SPL, he'll do the same in League One/hold his own in Championship" or the flip side "He's Joey Barton, player of the year from Premier League shock troops Burnley, he'll absolutely stroll the Jock pub league")

If anything was my argument, it was that sometimes a respected Eredivision/1st Div striker (Dauda) looks shite in Scotland, or AFCON winners (Djoum) fail to set the heather alight. A Hearts flop (Johnsen) goes on to regularly score in Eredivisie and for Norway. Pinilla can't control the ball against St Mirren reserves but hits double figures in Serie A.

I dunno if you checked the whole 11 pages of that list, but Eoin Doyle, who was one of the worst players I've ever seen has hit a good tally in League One, which many Scottish football doom-merchants will say is a higher standard than SPL. There are some abolutely honking players in the Championship and League One. 

As for my point that wage multipliers in no way equal multiples of ability, I can't really state specific examples as I have no idea what the majority of players in our league get paid. Sometimes though, you get random Scottish players who nobody really rates that highly up here going on to have great careers down there (Stevie Naismith was probably one, the boy Fraser at Bournemouth another). Chill Winston.

Barton and Bamba age was a massive factor. Bamba was still young when he played for Hibs, he’s developed massively since then. Barton was in the twilight of his career and was massively caught out by the pace of the game up here. 

Penilla, Dauda and Johnsen didn’t play anywhere near enough games for Hearts to give a full judgement on their ability. I really liked Johnsen and was very disappointed to see him leave. Definitely not a flop.

Who’s Winston?

2 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Delighted to have him back. One of the few players prior to Naismith who could do exciting things and change games in our favour with some skill.

If Levein can get him fit and confident he will be a big plus

He could and he did. Then there was a period where he couldn’t and didn’t. That is the reason I’m not convinced. Hope we get the version that can and will.

4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

We have some right vaginas in our support.. 

if i played for hearts and got paid £2k per week and rangers offered me £10k (all figures are made up for the purpose of this lecture) is do whatever it took, and if kids their ****ing badge.. 

anyone who who says they wouldn’t is either a liar, or to young to come to the realisation that they’d do it as well..

welcome back jamie Walker, one of our own.. 

You often make a lot of sense however my issue with the above is that accepting that our players should somehow aspire to make a move to rangers or any league competitor and we should somehow accept that, makes it very difficult to see how we can ever compete with them.  There are many teams who could offer the money rangers could, therefore I would prefer our players aspire to moves out with Scotland which is good for them and good for the clubs aspirations of competing with our rivals.  

In the end Jamie didn’t go through there - I welcome him back and think he can add something we currently lack.  Hoping Naismith can somehow inject a winning mentality into him so that he doesn’t go hiding in big games and his injury progress allows him to get physically fitter

2 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Not for me mate i hate both but fully understand that they can offer more money that entices players to want a move to them, overall they would be better wanting a move to an English team, But look at Lafferty for example could of stayed at us and made himself a legend unfortunately money talks and the lure of that is to much to him shame, He says that rangers is his boyhood club etc but in reality he couldn't give a toss about them it's all about the money to him hence why he left the way he did when rangers were in trouble. 

2 hours ago, It should have been ten said:

Calling supporters “vaginas and pricks” because they don’t appreciate someone disrespecting the club they love in the way he did..

:cornette:

How is that different from Hearts fans calling a fellow human being and player at our club a snake?

Anyway - what are you: vagina or prick?

It should have been ten
23 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

How is that different from Hearts fans calling a fellow human being and player at our club a snake?

Anyway - what are you: vagina or prick?

I’ve not called anyone a vagina or a prick just like I find it deplorable that Steven Pressley was and is still called one to this day! 

Would say if anyone is a vagina or prick for slating fellow supporters having an opinion on a guy who showed utter disrespect to our club it’s you.

Watt-Zeefuik
6 hours ago, siegementality said:

????????It was Jamie Walker?????????

Look for yourself. Walker denied it was him. Walker's father denied it was him. Folks on JKB have said they know the guy in the scarf, and yes he looks like Walker, but it isn't him.

Go and look up the pic that's supposedly Walker in the scarf. Look at his ears. Then look at any picture of Walker.

It isn't him.

siegementality
21 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

Look for yourself. Walker denied it was him. Walker's father denied it was him. Folks on JKB have said they know the guy in the scarf, and yes he looks like Walker, but it isn't him.

Go and look up the pic that's supposedly Walker in the scarf. Look at his ears. Then look at any picture of Walker.

It isn't him.

????????

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Muirhead said:

You often make a lot of sense however my issue with the above is that accepting that our players should somehow aspire to make a move to rangers or any league competitor and we should somehow accept that, makes it very difficult to see how we can ever compete with them.  There are many teams who could offer the money rangers could, therefore I would prefer our players aspire to moves out with Scotland which is good for them and good for the clubs aspirations of competing with our rivals.  

In the end Jamie didn’t go through there - I welcome him back and think he can add something we currently lack.  Hoping Naismith can somehow inject a winning mentality into him so that he doesn’t go hiding in big games and his injury progress allows him to get physically fitter

No issue with that. But at the time who was offering him similar money? Let’s not forget he didn’t actually sign for rangers, he signed for Wigan and earned us £400k 

4 hours ago, indianajones said:

Exactly where i am at. 

He was a young guy with a young family who had his head turned for cash, made mistakes and went about his exit the wrong way 

laterally he carried us on the park working for Cathro. He sees other young players in his own group making a move to bigger clubs and trying to make some real money in the short career which is a footballer. He does the same. Whether der hun pulled his head or not, he never went there, he went down south. Won’t be the first and won’t be the last.

fast forward 18 months, he comes back to us on a 3 year deal, admits he shouldn’t have left in the first place and is ready to show why he is worth the contract and jersey and commits himself again 

hopefully when he is tormenting opposition defences this season he will lose the snake tag that has been attributed to him

I genuinely think he will be a great signing for us this time around.

You don’t lose natural talent and if he has been bench warming for 18 months he probably won’t take so much for granted this time. 

5 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Jamie Walker played 155 league games over five and a half seasons. Not sure he is as injury prone as some would have us believe?

Seems to have passed medicals at Wigan and Hearts too (though I'm not sure what value the second one...Haha!)

BRAVEHEART1874

Always thought he was a bit greedy, but I would take that any day compared to the amount of times we hesitated / passed back and did not shoot last year around the box when needed ;)

Wasn't happy wi sevco's embarrassing 200.000 bid but serves them right as  I bet he would have did well for the big cousins :)

Certainly don't blame him for trying his luck in England though and welcome back,  some great goals in the video above btw.

Arthur Morgan
2 hours ago, Ugly American said:

It isn't him.

Wow, you're actually being serious! :rofl:

Edited by Arthur Morgan

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

Seems to have passed medicals at Wigan and Hearts too (though I'm not sure what value the second one...Haha!)

Do we conduct medicals???

Our medical staff must do an hour Monday morning tops...?

jack D and coke
3 hours ago, Ugly American said:

It isn't him.

Sorry but that is Jamie. David Blunkett could see it. 

Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, Blacky87 said:

Thought that, thanks for the response. Can only see this being a good thing for Walker and it seems he does regret leaving!

Definitely, we know what we’re getting too.

3 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

laterally he carried us on the park working for Cathro.

No he never. This is untrue, and the main reason I didn’t want him back. At one point he was the only creative player in the team, and we were going in to derbies relying on him to make a difference. He ended up a passenger and shat it too often from huddies like Bartley.

4 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Walker's father denied it was him.

His father also lied about him not being made an offer that would make him highest paid player at the club. So , I wouldn’t put too much weight on that one.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Loads of Hearts fans scampering over to Jamie Walker today for pics. 

People who go to games delighted to see him it would seem 

It should have been ten
5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Loads of Hearts fans scampering over to Jamie Walker today for pics. 

People who go to games delighted to see him it would seem 

Not all people who go to games are delighted. Time will tell.

Edited by It should have been ten

Look, I’m all for giving people second chances and I want JW to be a success. I actually think he might be, I am an eternal optimist, but let’s not be rewriting history here.

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Ugly American said:

It isn't him.

Doppelgänger?

757EA239-C168-4239-A65A-5B0793581C68.png

CF52D93F-5E4D-40DB-B06E-6AD089C947FF.png