Walker returns ( updated )

Section Q

AllyjamboDerbyshire
5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

So everything we know suggests that Hearts handled the situation well. Walker is insinuating that they didn't. Until we know what they did then it's all just speculation.

Everything in the public domain paints Hearts in a good light in relation to the period he's talking about.

As for the bit in bold I don't agree with that. Why should the innocent party (if there is one) pretend they also made a mistake in order to be decent. Diplomacy isn't required when the other party negotiates in bad faith imo. And if the person who negotiated in bad faith then professes that both sides handled it badly, then frankly they have a cheek in doing so

Not hearing that Hearts didn't handle it well is not the same as knowing that Hearts handled it well. But then, I am not saying that Hearts didn't handle it well, just that it's possible that they gave Walker cause to believe they didn't handle everything in the discussions well. 

And I am not talking about a situation where there is an innocent party, or even a guilty party. I am talking about a situation where contract talks end with both parties unsatisfied with the outcome, a lose/lose situation rather than a win/win, or even win/lose. Both parties will believe they did all they could, and so, believe, that the other side should have done more/been more flexible. It's not about blame, bad faith, or even diplomacy, it's about the perception of individuals as to what happened during the negotiations. That perception must become more fragile and intransigent when dealing with one's own personal future, as Walker was, and if he's relying on, and believing, an agent generally perceived on here to be a bit of a barsteward, then his own perception will reflect the advice and explanations he receives. 

But let's look at what he actually says:

“I don’t have regrets about the departure, but maybe the whole Rangers thing. That turned into a bit of a mess. It was tough and I think maybe the club and myself didn’t deal with that in the best way. It’s all in the past. I’m looking to the future and to doing well for Hearts.

We know that it 'turned into a bit of a mess'. We can easily believe it was 'tough' for all concerned. He's not saying Hearts made it a bit of a mess, nor that they made it tough. He's saying that maybe he and Hearts didn't deal with the mess and the toughness 'in the best way', rather than suggesting Hearts didn't deal with him, or their attempts to get him to stay, properly.

At no time is he suggesting Hearts didn't treat him fairly or honourably, he's just saying that maybe both parties didn't deal with the mess and toughness in the best way. In fact, the way the sentence is structured, he is referring to the toughness as maybe not being dealt with in the best possible way.

And look at the first sentence, he clearly feels that 'maybe the whole Rangers thing' was regrettable, that maybe it would have been better for all concerned had 'Rangers' just stayed the **** out of his life, or, at least, as no more than an opponent to play against.

Anyway, whether I am right or wrong in what I say, he's back, and if what he says is anything to go by, he loves it at Hearts and is delighted to be back. He also seems in no doubt that he's here for the long run and is going to be as good as ever he was. Me, I'd rather take that as an indication of what he brings to Hearts than worry about whether or not he thinks that Hearts didn't deal with something in the best way. Whatever that 'something' was.

PS Sorry for the long winding post.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• It should have been ten

• Mr Elwood P

• Jammy T

1 hour ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Not hearing that Hearts didn't handle it well is not the same as knowing that Hearts handled it well. But then, I am not saying that Hearts didn't handle it well, just that it's possible that they gave Walker cause to believe they didn't handle everything in the discussions well. 

And I am not talking about a situation where there is an innocent party, or even a guilty party. I am talking about a situation where contract talks end with both parties unsatisfied with the outcome, a lose/lose situation rather than a win/win, or even win/lose. Both parties will believe they did all they could, and so, believe, that the other side should have done more/been more flexible. It's not about blame, bad faith, or even diplomacy, it's about the perception of individuals as to what happened during the negotiations. That perception must become more fragile and intransigent when dealing with one's own personal future, as Walker was, and if he's relying on, and believing, an agent generally perceived on here to be a bit of a barsteward, then his own perception will reflect the advice and explanations he receives. 

“I don’t have regrets about the departure, but maybe the whole Rangers thing. That turned into a bit of a mess. It was tough and I think maybe the club and myself didn’t deal with that in the best way. It’s all in the past. I’m looking to the future and to doing well for Hearts.

We know that it 'turned into a bit of a mess'. We can easily believe it was 'tough' for all concerned. He's not saying Hearts made it a bit of a mess, nor that they made it tough. He's saying that maybe he and Hearts didn't deal with the mess and the toughness 'in the best way', rather than suggesting Hearts didn't deal with him, or their attempts to get him to stay, properly.

At no time is he suggesting Hearts didn't treat him fairly or honourably, he's just saying that maybe both parties didn't deal with the mess and toughness in the best way. In fact, the way the sentence is structured, he is referring to the toughness as maybe not being dealt with in the best possible way.

And look at the first sentence, he clearly feels that 'maybe the whole Rangers thing' was regrettable, that maybe it would have been better for all concerned had 'Rangers' just stayed the **** out of his life, or, at least, as no more than an opponent to play against.

Anyway, whether I am right or wrong in what I say, he's back, and if what he says is anything to go by, he loves it at Hearts and is delighted to be back. He also seems in no doubt that he's here for the long run and is going to be as good as ever he was. Me, I'd rather take that as an indication of what he brings to Hearts than worry about whether or not he thinks that Hearts didn't deal with something in the best way. Whatever that 'something' was.

No, no, please don't apologise. I enjoy reading a long post and it's a good one at that. I like your way of looking at it. Sorry mines so short in reply, but I'm going to adopt your approach and get right behind him from this point on ??

i wish jj was my dad
5 hours ago, goldie83 said:

I’m with you mate. No issues at all. Water under the bridge. Kind of have that feeling that he knows this is his last chance of actually achieving something that could end up with a trophy over the next 3 years of his contract. People looking into this with maroon tinted glasses on. How do we know what went on behind the scenes. It could have been psychological games that Hearts were playing that didn’t sit right with him. We just don’t know. I’m happy he’s back and will support him 100%. He could score 30 goals next season and win us the Scottish single handily and folk will still be a Jamie Walker hater. It’s sad. 

I kinda agree with the point in that it is or at least should be water under the bridge and it would have been if Jamie hadn't inferred the club did something wrong. Most of us will support him 100% if he puts in 100% effort.

But speculating that that the club may have played psychological games behind the scenes is awfy like the made up shite his posse came out with when he was hitching his skirt. The club quite rightly told Rangers to bolt and corrected the rumours that he had been offered a derisory pay rise. For the life of me I can't see how any Jambo would criticise us for that.

Anyhow. He is back. He needs to get his head down and perform.  For what it is worth, I think he will. ?

Edited by i wish jj was my dad

AllyjamboDerbyshire
23 minutes ago, Taffin said:

No, no, please don't apologise. I enjoy reading a long post and it's a good one at that. I like your way of looking at it. Sorry mines so short in reply, but I'm going to adopt your approach and get right behind him from this point on ??

I know you're a Jambo through and through, and will get right behind any and every player who pulls on the maroon jersey. I'm also certain that if any player lets that jersey down, you'll call him out for it, as everyone of us should.

Every player has bad spells, and ball players more than most, and many play through injury and get undeserved stick as a result, but my one concern about Walker's return is that he might be carrying an injury, and if he has come back knowing his performances will be negatively affected by some injury, then I won't be any happier at his return than anyone else.

I was no happier about his handling of the situation than anyone else was, and believe he owes us one, big time. The only way he's ever going to get the chance to pay us back what he owes is to play for Hearts, score goals, and, once again, have the tears running down Hibee faces. I can't wait:av-1001:

fabienleclerq

If I'm honest I read it and thought he's been a bit unprofessional with that comment. 

He's gone about it the wrong way if he wants to win anyone over. He downed tools, chucked the game at Motherwell and got himself sent off to avoid the huns. He was really below par the last six months and **** knows why his old boy was wading into the club etc. 

I can't see how he would've improved as he hasn't played much. He needs to hit the ground running this year. 

5 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

I can't see how he would've improved as he hasn't played much. He needs to hit the ground running this year. 

An unfit JW will still be better than a half hearted Djoum.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Yeah it's a classic misleading, clickbait headline in the EN. Find the most controversial thing you can in the copy and turn it into a context-less headline whether or not it actually reflects the whole story. Par for the course for online journalism especially these days sadly. He doesn't even say "why" the saga was handled badly so the headline is completely wrong!

Everyone knows Hearts offered him a great deal and he turned it down, but Levein continued to back him publicly. We had every right to turn down Rangers "at it" offers.

The follow up question should have been, how do you think Rangers handled it, but you know that would mean possibly criticising Rangers.

Edited by ToqueJambo

50 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I kinda agree with the point in that it is or at least should be water under the bridge and it would have been if Jamie hadn't inferred the club did something wrong. Most of us will support him 100% if he puts in 100% effort.

But speculating that that the club may have played psychological games behind the scenes is awfy like the made up shite his posse came out with when he was hitching his skirt. The club quite rightly told Rangers to bolt and corrected the rumours that he had been offered a derisory pay rise. For the life of me I can't see how any Jambo would criticise us for that.

Anyhow. He is back. He needs to get his head down and perform.  For what it is worth, I think he will. ?

I’m not for one second saying it was psychological I’m just raising the point (extreme as it may be ?) that anything could have happened the the average fan wouldn’t know about. If the pay rise story is true that certainly didn’t look good on Hearts or maybe not Hearts but certainly Levein at the time. If they two can move forward on the situation surely the rest of us can.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
10 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

If I'm honest I read it and thought he's been a bit unprofessional with that comment. 

He's gone about it the wrong way if he wants to win anyone over. He downed tools, chucked the game at Motherwell and got himself sent off to avoid the huns. He was really below par the last six months and **** knows why his old boy was wading into the club etc. 

I genuinely hope he wasn't trying to win anyone over with the interview, and instead was being very honest about how he sees his return to Hearts. In fact I view his one reference to the transfer mess as making the interview less of a personal PR puff piece and more of a genuine statement of his true feelings for Hearts. Too often players will tell us how wonderful it is to be at Hearts, and Walker certainly does that in the interview, but platitudes are easy. By apparently letting his guard down he's given the rest of the interview more sincerity than it otherwise would have held.

fabienleclerq
31 minutes ago, Prof said:

An unfit JW will still be better than a half hearted Djoum.

Djoum has 20 caps and has won the afcon, I doubt JW is twice the player. 

Instead of chirping about Walker maybe we should be backing him, in case anyone hasnt noticed he plays for Hearts not Sevco, and if someone wanted to double my wages I would consider it myself. Jamie walker is a J ambo not a Bluenose . I for one am glad to have him back. I know of no one in football today whos family pedigree is more associated with one football team than the Walker name is with Hearts.

Edit or delete this

Edited by tynie

Big Slim Stylee
8 hours ago, DG_HMFC said:

Nothing wrong with what he has said.

The boy is a Jambo to the core, and now that he's back he'll knuckle down and produce his best form, imo.

Agree. The telling thing is his relationship with CL. We all know he’s as stubborn as they come and if there was any lingering bad blood, Walker would not be back.

I hope it works out but I’m not holding my breath, tbh.

9 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

What was the mistake that the club made?

Appointing Cathro

i wish jj was my dad
2 hours ago, goldie83 said:

I’m not for one second saying it was psychological I’m just raising the point (extreme as it may be ?) that anything could have happened the the average fan wouldn’t know about. If the pay rise story is true that certainly didn’t look good on Hearts or maybe not Hearts but certainly Levein at the time. If they two can move forward on the situation surely the rest of us can.

The club put out a statement confirming the offer would make him our highest paid player completely debunking the shite his posse were putting about. Walker and his hun prick of an agent were the bad guys. The club got it spot on. 

None of that matters if he does his talking on the pitch. Fwiw, like the big bad bearded ogre I think he will.

maroonsgotop
3 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Why do so many care so much about the past.  He's back.  100% support from me.

correct Doug

3 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

Djoum has 20 caps and has won the afcon, I doubt JW is twice the player. 

Maybe but that doesn’t explain why Djoum looked a disinterested passenger in most games. Just look at their respective scoring records for Hearts to see who was the most effective for us.

He’d have to be getting Scotland call ups and ripping every defence in the league a new one week in and week out before the rangers ever come calling again, Jamie Walker is nowhere near their level now.... he could be but he’ll need to prove it for 2 seasons solid and even then I can’t see it. They know we don’t deal on the cheap and if they don’t win the league this year, next year will see them spend so much cash on players from England they’ll be bankrupt by Christmas!

Edited by Rudy T

What we have , is a highly motivated player who will be itching to burst Hibs , that will do as a starter, the rest is in the past , the future is what I’m looking at

1 hour ago, fila said:

What we have , is a highly motivated player who will be itching to burst Hibs , that will do as a starter, the rest is in the past , the future is what I’m looking at

No we don't.

We have someone that has been found out down south that he is not good enough, and also coming back from another major injury.

He is the quintessential guy (woman) that dumped his (their) partner for someone else then realised they were already punching above their weight and tried to scurry home.

My guess is: his wife - or partner, wanted to come back to Edinburgh/Scotland.  It's that simple.

Edited by Lovecraft

Geoff Kilpatrick
7 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

No we don't.

We have someone that has been found out down south that he is not good enough, and also coming back from another major injury.

He is the quintessential guy (woman) that dumped his (their) partner for someone else then realised they were already punching above their weight and tried to scurry home.

My guess is: his wife - or partner, wanted to come back to Edinburgh/Scotland.  It's that simple.

This

Edited by Geoff Kilpatrick

Guest ToqueJambo
10 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

No we don't.

? I think you're overthinking this. Does that apply to every player who moves south with high hopes and comes back after a season or so? ie almost all of them unfortunately, Greg Stewart, Stevie Mallan and Stevie May being another couple of recent ones. Dylan McGeough will probably be next. Then Graeme Shinnie next season no doubt... we'll all be talking about signing him.

Edited by ToqueJambo

12 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

No we don't.

He is a very good player so don’t care about his personal life 

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

? I think you're overthinking this. Does that apply to every player who moves south with high hopes and comes back after a season or so? ie almost all of them unfortunately, Greg Stewart, Stevie Mallan and Stevie May being another couple of recent ones. Dylan McGeough will probably be next. Then Graeme Shinnie next season no doubt... we'll all be talking about signing him.

No.   Shinnie is good and not made from glass.

Shinnie will be fine and prosper.   100%

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

No.   Shinnie is good and not made from glass.

Shinnie will be fine and prosper.   100%

Who knows. New manager might not fancy him.

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Who knows. New manager might not fancy him.

Na.  Shinnie is a very, very good football player.

I wish we had him.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Lovecraft said:

Na.  Shinnie is a very, very good football player.

I wish we had him.

Great player for Aberdeen, was murder for Scotland.

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Scotland are pish.

davemclaren
47 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Aye, at full back. 

A_A wehatethehibs
10 hours ago, fila said:

What we have , is an injury prone player who will be anonymous when we face Hibs , that will do as a starter, the rest is in the past , the future is what I’m looking at

FTFY - you can expect to read posts like that from the first game we see Walker at tynecastle. 

Jamie Walker has everything to prove at Hearts all over again. Yes he has a second chance and good luck to him. He’s extremely fortunate to be granted that by Craig Levein.

But he needs to be under no illusions that the fans have huge doubts about him. As far as I’m concerned I’d be giving Harry Cochrane, Calum Morrison and Anthony McDonald all plenty of chances to start games in the league this year, their natural ability is potentially as good as Walkers if not better, they are just less experienced, game time playing alongside Steven Naismith will be valuable to their development. They’ve all got their first round of games under the belt, another year older but they are young, full of energy and desire just as walker was when he first started pulling on the Hearts shirt. Mulraneys work rate means I would not be looking at all at dropping him for Walker. Mulraney has turned himself into a potential Andy Driver level LW for this coming season, if he can kick on, keep up work rate and keep improving his delivery.

Jamie has a fight on his hands for game time in the Hearts team, he better be up for it or he’ll be away to a championship team in January on loan.

As for these comments in the media, I think that’s a storm in a teacup. What he’s said is, it’s in the past we can’t change it. It’s going to be all about what he does on the pitch. He has to be sensational for the fans not to turn on him.

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

KyleLafferty

Some people need to get over what Walker done, it’s embarrassing now. Acting like your bird has cheated on you???

i wish jj was my dad
2 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Some people need to get over what Walker done, it’s embarrassing now. Acting like your bird has cheated on you???

I think 99% of us are and if he screws the nut he could be a huge player for us again. But he needs to get his head down and prove it.

Looking forward to him pulling on the jersey today. Can’t wait to see him run out the tunnel at Tynie. He’s back home. 

It should have been ten
9 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

No we don't.

:spoton:

1 hour ago, Baxfee said:

Looking forward to him pulling on the jersey today. Can’t wait to see him run out the tunnel at Tynie. He’s back home. 

I'll be a bit worried he'll get injured if he runs out the tunnel

davemclaren
19 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

I'll be a bit worried he'll get injured if he runs out the tunnel

Oh you wag. ?

12 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Reading it again, I wonder if he's referring to Rangers when the says 'the club'?

Maybe. Would make more sense, as I am genuinely struggling to think of anything Hearts did, that could be deemed a “mistake”.

1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Maybe. Would make more sense, as I am genuinely struggling to think of anything Hearts did, that could be deemed a “mistake”.

That was my thoughts from it. I thought Hearts were pretty much bang on the button for our conduct throughout. Given the huns behaviour, I would have said we'd have been within our rights to refuse to do business with them on principle. 

Levein himself said that the huns let Jamie down didn't he? 

Just now, OTT said:

That was my thoughts from it. I thought Hearts were pretty much bang on the button for our conduct throughout. Given the huns behaviour, I would have said we'd have been within our rights to refuse to do business with them on principle. 

Levein himself said that the huns let Jamie down didn't he? 

That’s exactly what I took from it all:

Levein offered to make him highest paid player.

Walker verbally agreed.

Rangers Expressed an interest.

Levein was okay with it, if they offered a fair amount, and we were protected by having him contracted up.

***Walker reneged on signing the new contract***

Rangers offered a pittance.

Hearts turned the offer down.

Mr Walker Snr started claiming that Hearts never made the offer they did.

Hearts quite strongly announce that Mr Walker Snr needs to be careful what he says in public.

Jamie gets the word out through people on here, that his Dad was wrong and shouldn’t have said what he did.

***Mr Houldesworth must have had some influence in his client’s decision-making at this time, being Jamie’s Agent and all***

Just now, Icon of Symmetry said:

That’s exactly what I took from it all:

Levein offered to make him highest paid player.

Walker verbally agreed.

Rangers Expressed an interest.

Levein was okay with it, if they offered a fair amount, and we were protected by having him contracted up.

***Walker reneged on signing the new contract***

Rangers offered a pittance.

Hearts turned the offer down.

Mr Walker Snr started claiming that Hearts never made the offer they did.

Hearts quite strongly announce that Mr Walker Snr needs to be careful what he says in public.

Jamie gets the word out through people on here, that his Dad was wrong and shouldn’t have said what he did.

***Mr Houldesworth must have had some influence in his client’s decision-making at this time, being Jamie’s Agent and all***

Yeah. Thats a line for line summary of what I understand to be true. 

FWIW Houldesworth should never be welcomed into Riccarton or Tynecastle again. IMO He's responsible for the toxic turn things took. Its unsurprising that Jamie Walker, Jason Cummings, Billy King, Jason Holt & Scott Allan all happen to be his clients and have all either been on the cusp of a move to Ibrox or actually moved there. I think he's putting his own career ahead of his clients tbh. He clearly wants to be a big time charlie down Ibrox way and it doesn't matter if the client is a good fit for the club or not. Short termism at its worst. 

1 minute ago, OTT said:

FWIW Houldesworth should never be welcomed into Riccarton or Tynecastle again. IMO He's responsible for the toxic turn things took. Its unsurprising that Jamie Walker, Jason Cummings, Billy King, Jason Holt & Scott Allan all happen to be his clients and have all either been on the cusp of a move to Ibrox or actually moved there. I think he's putting his own career ahead of his clients tbh. He clearly wants to be a big time charlie down Ibrox way and it doesn't matter if the client is a good fit for the club or not. Short termism at its worst. 

Typical deluded Hun wank imo.

10 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Typical deluded Hun wank imo.

?

Was about to post pretty much the same thing.

jamboinglasgow
2 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I think 99% of us are and if he screws the nut he could be a huge player for us again. But he needs to get his head down and prove it.

Yup,

I do think from all the comments he has made since coming back that he knows he has win over the fans. He knows that people are not happy with how it ended and he wants to prove himself. I am happy if he has that drive. Plus his interviews are clear that his knee trouble is over.

Mister Dee

As usual with players like this, you have some 'supporters' greeting their eyes out at the nerve of a professional player chasing money.

Most of the supporters recognise that he left under a cloud, but arrives back with a clean slate. 

Once he rams a couple of goals in, 99% will have forgotten about the previous controversy. 

Good luck to the lad, think he'll do well. 

jack D and coke
On 05/07/2019 at 09:55, Normthebarman said:

So according to Walker, the club are partly to blame for the Rangers saga. He doesn't go in to why it was partly the clubs fault though. As far as I can tell, we told Rangers to pony up or **** off. Not sure how any blame lies at the clubs feet for that. 

If you want to try and get yourself back in to the good books, that's not that way I'd go about it. He's doing himself no favours with me when he comes out with that shite. It ended badly, we move on is what he should have stuck with. This whole "There was mistakes made on both sides" does nothing to make me think he's learned his lesson, and if he comes good again and Der Hun come sniffing a 2nd time, I'm not confident he'll not down tools a 2nd time. 

Not confident this will end well at all. 

Where has he said this bud?

jack D and coke
34 minutes ago, OTT said:

Is that right? What an absolute wank. 

Huns really rip my jimmys. 

45 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Where has he said this bud?

Quote from an interview he did yesterday. 

I'll say again, I'm not against Walker coming back. His initial responses and most of what he said in the interview I was fine with. I just think he should have stayed away from any blame game stuff, especially when he knows that a sizeable chunk of the support were pissed off with how he left. He should have just stuck with "mistakes were made in the past, this is a new chapter".