Angelo Alessio,

132goals1958

59 minutes ago, jambo_No5 said:

If we had appointed him or even been linked with him the usual roasters wouldve looked for the negatives. Only ever been an assistant etc 

Truth though. 

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enzo Chiefo

• JamboAl

• soonbe110

• Bazzas right boot

Jamboscanbevicius

Interesting appointment... but I am going to predict that it will end in failure!    

Its already pretty much much impossible to do better than Clarke at Rugby Park, and he will be working with a level of resource and calibre of player totally alien to his experience!

Makes a decent job of it and he'll be Celtic manager 2020-2021 season.

Edited by Musemic
wrong

Enzo Chiefo
4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Yes I agree, very adventurous appointment, however he is a complete unknown as a number 1. Cant see him wanting a team playing on plastic so most of BB’s future investment is going on a new pitch. Not in time for next season though. 

Yes, fair point. Great experience as an assistant at the highest level.  You would have to think the plastic pitch issue has been discussed with the manager. It's an ambitious appointment as Bowie will realise that Alessio is an absolute beginner as a No.1

LarrysRightFoot

On paper he seems like a great appointment. If we had brought him in I’d be pleased based on his pedigree. 

However, nothing is guaranteed in football - at the time I thought Owen Coyle was a great appointment by Ross County and (along with everyone else) Ranieri was a terrible appointment by Leicester.

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

53 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

To be fair, his managerial track record was nowhere near that of Alessio. 

Think you got that completely wrong. Prior to Rangers LeGuen had a pretty impressive management career with 3 Lique 1 titles with Lyon etc. Prior to Killie Alessio doesn’t have a management career period. Good coaching career as a number 2/3 but zero experience as a number 1. Will be an interesting few months to see how he copes with Ayrshire and Scottish football 

Think you got that completely wrong. Prior to Rangers LeGuen had a pretty impressive management career with 3 Lique 1 titles with Lyon etc. Prior to Killie Alessio doesn’t have a management career period. Good coaching career as a number 2/3 but zero experience as a number 1. Will be an interesting few months to see how he copes with Ayrshire and Scottish football 

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, kila said:

Any big pay package will probably be dependant on getting to EL group stages. 

Kilmarnock won’t be anywhere near the Europa League group stages and no chance that’s been set by the Kilmarnock board as a realistic target.

Don’t think this appointment will work out for Kilmarnock. He is a coach not a manger and as we’ve found out ourselves that can be disastrous! Time will tell.

JamboGraham
16 minutes ago, Maiden Gorgie said:

if their fans actually turned up and watched them they could be big-hitters relatively speaking. Unfortunately for Killie most folk in their catchment area will be wearing green or blue

I always feel Killie get unfairly hit with this one...for the size of the town they are easily getting over 10% of the local community. That’s  significantly more than our catchment of the Edinburgh population.

Paisley, Livingston, Hamilton and Perth are all larger top division populations compared to Kilmarnock but don’t get the same level of attendance.

Enzo Chiefo
Just now, soonbe110 said:

Surely I didn't get it wrong 3 times Soonbe?

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

Kilmarnock won’t be anywhere near the Europa League group stages and no chance that’s been set by the Kilmarnock board as a realistic target.

Don’t think this appointment will work out for Kilmarnock. He is a coach not a manger and as we’ve found out ourselves that can be disastrous! Time will tell.

We have had some really bad experiences with coaches rather than managers. Rix and Cathro immediately spring to mind. Will be interesting. 

Mr Elwood P
57 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Think you might want to do some

background research, that could be applicable to a lot of your posts.

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Surely I didn't get it wrong 3 times Soonbe?

Just fancied a hat-trick to brighten up a dull Sunday. 

1 hour ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I would expect a lot of quality loan signings at Killie as his contacts should be good. Killie could still be around the top four. We will need to get our signing act in gear this summer to hope to match them at least. 

Cathro had good contacts.  Just saying.

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

A great answer, again from Killie, to whoever poses the ridiculous question in future..."but who would we get?"

Well we got our current manager, who has a better CV as a Number 1, including international , in England and at the top level in Scotland, and is younger than Alessio.

Ignoring the gratuitous digs at our own club, it's a really interesting appointment for sure. I like it when a new face comes into the game up here. Killie are gambling a lot of money on the manager salary hoping that will compensate for their lower player budget compared to their competitors. It worked with Steve Clarke. Be interesting to see if they can pull off the same trick twice.

There's a discussion to be had around if we should push the boat out for a manager but our strategy has been not to pay huge money for a manager, I assume to keep as much budget as possible for players. 

Robbie Neilson for example achieved way more for us than much higher paid managers at Aberdeen, Rangers, Hibs and other clubs.

Enzo Chiefo
Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

Think you might want to do some

background research, that could be applicable to a lot of your posts.

I realise he has not managed but he has been involved at a far higher level in management than the French league, and will have gained a lot of knowledge from that. Le Guen faced a lot of resistance from Rangers players at the time and David Murray should have backed his manager. More a reflection on Rangers than PLG.

Really interesting appointment, be intriguing to see how they play. The really positive aspect of it is he has coached for well over 15 years at a decent level. The next time we recruit that would be the way I would like us to go, we can't spend a fortune on players so a good coach could be the thing that makes a difference.

10 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, fair point. Great experience as an assistant at the highest level.  You would have to think the plastic pitch issue has been discussed with the manager. It's an ambitious appointment as Bowie will realise that Alessio is an absolute beginner as a No.1

Now where have we heard that before?

Enzo Chiefo
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Well we got our current manager, who has a better CV as a Number 1, including international , in England and at the top level in Scotland, and is younger than Alessio.

Ignoring the gratuitous digs at our own club, it's a really interesting appointment for sure. I like it when a new face comes into the game up here. Killie are gambling a lot of money on the manager salary hoping that will compensate for their lower player budget compared to their competitors. It worked with Steve Clarke. Be interesting to see if they can pull off the same trick twice.

There's a discussion to be had around if we should push the boat out for a manager but our strategy has been not to pay huge money for a manager, I assume to keep as much budget as possible for players. 

Robbie Neilson for example achieved way more for us than much higher paid managers at Aberdeen, Rangers, Hibs and other clubs.

Nice try Toque but being No.2 at Juventus, Chelsea, winning titles along the way, not to mention the Italian national team , well outstrips anything CL has done as a No.1 in his career. The "gratuitous digs" were not aimed at the club unless they also think rhetorically "who would we get"

Enzo Chiefo
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Now where have we heard that before?

Steve Clarke I think, and look how well he has done.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Paul le Guen won three league titles in a row with Lyon before coming to rangers, what's Alessio's track record?

I see him as an assistant but no managerial track record to speak of at all.

Mr Elwood P
7 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I realise he has not managed but he has been involved at a far higher level in management than the French league, and will have gained a lot of knowledge from that. Le Guen faced a lot of resistance from Rangers players at the time and David Murray should have backed his manager. More a reflection on Rangers than PLG.

What have you previously posted about Ian Cathro? He had been a coach in the EPL, La Liga and Portuguese league.

4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Nice try Toque but being No.2 at Juventus, Chelsea, winning titles along the way, not to mention the Italian national team , well outstrips anything CL has done as a No.1 in his career. The "gratuitous digs" were not aimed at the club unless they also think rhetorically "who would we get"

When we're comparing experience in the main job, it really doesn't. Alessio is unproven as a manager.

4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Steve Clarke I think, and look how well he has done.

Try again, Clarke had been a manager at a decent level.

Enzo Chiefo
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

When we're comparing experience in the main job, it really doesn't. Alessio is unproven as a manager.

Which also gives the manager of the Crown and Cavity in the Chichester pub league a better track record as a No.1, using your logic.

Enzo Chiefo
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Well, apparently assistant managers are now proven managers.

So when I say "managerial experience " you just change it to "proven manager". Lies, damned lies and stastics right enough.

8 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Being assistant manager anywhere is no substitute for having managed by oneself.  You can take that to the bank.

That is not to say an assistant will not become a good manager.

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Which also gives the manager of the Crown and Cavity in the Chichester pub league a better track record as a No.1, using your logic.

If your logic involves comparing a pub league to the international game and top league in Scotland then I suppose you are right.

2 hours ago, lsimp77 said:

And to think we had Billy Davies, Steven Pressley and Paul Hartley as our options  

And Neil McCann.

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

So when I say "managerial experience " you just change it to "proven manager". Lies, damned lies and stastics right enough.

When we say "managerial experience" I assume you meant as a manager not assistant to the manager, because assisting is not the same as managing is it?

Edited by Guest

Enzo Chiefo
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Try again, Clarke had been a manager at a decent level.

And why was he appointed to those jobs? Because of his managerial experience as an assistant at the highest level. We're talking about the SPL here.

Enzo Chiefo
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

When we say "managerial experience" I assume you meant as a manager not assistant to the manager.

Managerial...as part of the management team. 

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

Well when Jon Daly or Austin McPhee get promoted I look forward to you praising their managerial experience.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Certainly a bold appointment and to be applauded.

He has little recent experience as the main man but will have built up valuable knowledge etc as an assistant in the UK and abroad.

Just like Cathro?

7 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

And why was he appointed to those jobs? Because of his managerial experience as an assistant at the highest level. We're talking about the SPL here.

Sure. If Robbie Neilson can do it I'm sure Alessio can. And Robbie hadn't;t even been an assistant! Expecting big things of your latest hero.

Edited by Guest

17 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Was he number 2? Guys like Conte have  teams of coaches travelling with them. Always hard to tell who is number 2,3,4 or 5 at times. They each bring something different to the party. 

And he failed in most of them prior to Killie. 

Just now, Cisco1914 said:

Just like Cathro?

In a way, YES.

Cathro was an experiment that failed but that does not mean that every similar appointment will fail.  It's not like we were laden with trophies with our previous conventional style appointments.

IC's main problem seems to have been failure to communicate both with his players and the vultures, sorry, the press.  This guy is around 30 years older and one would expect him to be better equipped and experienced.  Only time will tell.

So Cathro? Great cv as part of the management teams before joining us. Great season since leaving us as well as part of the management team.  Would he be a great appointment for a Scottish club? 

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Dougie Friedman was an interesting appointment we nearly had. 

Indeed but he had a decent management pedigree as a number 1 prior to our interest in him. Missed opportunity if he really was interested instead of just using us to force the issue with Palace. 

Mr Elwood P
29 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

In a way, YES.

Cathro was an experiment that failed but that does not mean that every similar appointment will fail.  It's not like we were laden with trophies with our previous conventional style appointments.

IC's main problem seems to have been failure to communicate both with his players and the vultures, sorry, the press.  This guy is around 30 years older and one would expect him to be better equipped and experienced.  Only time will tell.

This lads first language being Italian should circumvent that particular pitfall then.

Bazzas right boot

This is why I'm beginning to hate Killie. 

Too many "Hearts fans" getting a full rage - on about everything they do while most just slag of Hearts and find fault in everyway they can. 

The guy might do well, he might not. 

It's a complete punt on an unknown as he has no management experience at all and is a good age. 

No experience in Scotland, no mgt experience to speak off. 

Cool sounding name, foreign and a good coach by all accounts and decent ambition shown by the club. 

Much like us with Cathro tbh and folk still use that to batter CL and Ann about the head with. 

There are positives and negatives, like every appointment, but those using this to have a got at Hearts should really just get a st for rugby park and be done with it. 

38 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

And he failed in most of them prior to Killie. 

Sacked from WBA

Sacked from Reading