Lawrence Shankland Signs fir Dundee Utd ( updated )

letsalldothebeattie

Has to be more to this than meets the eye, why on earth no one has taken a chance on this lad is beyond me.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Sagan

• Mikey1874

• YouLetYourClubDie

Special Agent Dale Cooper
1 hour ago, Sharky999 said:

Has to be more to this than meets the eye, why on earth no one has taken a chance on this lad is beyond me.

Yeah I remember Ian McCall saying in the Spring on the radio he had a handful of big clubs on both side of the offer enquire about his availability, and he was sure Shankland was heading to a big league. Weird.

letsalldothebeattie

I’m surprised he never made the step up either to the premiership or down south. Maybe his Aberdeen experience has played a part in his decision making. Good luck to him though 

2 hours ago, Sharky999 said:

Maybe a touch of the James Keatings about him?

I think it’s down to the player rather than no one wanting to take a punt on him.  He’s allegedly making decent money through his PT stuff and is reluctant to give it up.  Maybe easier to continue with Dundee Utd than it would be at hearts/Sunderland etc.  

Edited by Morph

6 minutes ago, Morph said:

I think it’s down to the player rather than no one wanting to take a punt on him.  He’s allegedly making decent money through his PT stuff and is reluctant to give it up.  Maybe easier to continue with Dundee Utd than it would be at hearts/Sunderland etc.  

Or alternatively there was little evidence to suggest that the player is good enough, given he previously failed at Scottish Premiership level, and his goalscoring from so far has been in semi professional Scottish League one (Faisal El Baktouhi?) and half a season in the Scottish Championship.

I suspect that Dundee United were perhaps the only team offering a guarantee of first team football.

5 hours ago, Whatever said:

Time will tell.

I think he’d toil to do it at a higher level. 

Maybe there’s a reason why he’s signing for Dundee Utd?

We shall see.

Maybe so, but a 1 year deal on his wages wouldn't have cost us very much.

davemclaren
2 hours ago, Locky said:

Whereas Utd are apparently offering a 3 year deal. 

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

They'll get a good season out of him in the Championship one would think. From there, it's 2 years in the Premiership he's got to live up to. Can't see past United winning the league this year.

Unknown user
10 hours ago, Locky said:

3 year deal at United reported. Great bit of business for them.

How he didn't end up at a Prem side or an English club is mental. Can't help but feel we should've took a punt here.

He's just not that good mate, simple as that. If I've seen the flaws in his game I have to assume that professional scouts have too.

3 hours ago, Martin_T said:

Or alternatively there was little evidence to suggest that the player is good enough, given he previously failed at Scottish Premiership level, and his goalscoring from so far has been in semi professional Scottish League one (Faisal El Baktouhi?) and half a season in the Scottish Championship.

I suspect that Dundee United were perhaps the only team offering a guarantee of first team football.

Just repeating what i've heard.

Sunderland were after him as well so it's not like there wasn't interest in him from other places.

3 hours ago, Morph said:

Surely he’d make more money in football than PT stuff? 

3 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

A mate of mine was captain of Ayr Utd whilst working as a firefighter and also running an estate agency franchise, he was earning good money and was then approached by Inverness, who were in the Premier League at the time, and there 'offer' to go full time was £200 a week plus bonuses which was a fraction of what he was already earning.

1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

The chat was he was on a fairly good goal bonus (not sure if this was funded by someone outwith Ayr, seen that mentioned) and doing well with his other business.

I think if we were after him we probably didn't think he was worth as much as he was asking for and that's how he's ended up at another championship club.   I suppose for some players it will be about taking a job that gives them the best lifestyle they want rather than trying to play at the very highest level possible.  All that could be shite i suppose but sounds plausible.

I think he looks like a great player and if we're going to sign from  the lower leagues it's players like that you want but if he has no real interest then nothing you can really do.  If he's not arsed about moving on there's not that much scope to sell him on for a profit either.

Dundee united are going for it big time this season so could prob blow out the water some spfl clubs interested. Sunderland were linked but can’t see jack Ross there for the long term 

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

No brainer for the lad 3yr deal vs 1 yr deal

21 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

If he is at Dundee United it's because that was the best offer he got.

Have to agree with this as players go for rhe best deal they can get

28 minutes ago, Morph said:

The chat was he was on a fairly good goal bonus (not sure if this was funded by someone outwith Ayr, seen that mentioned) and doing well with his other business.

I think if we were after him we probably didn't think he was worth as much as he was asking for and that's how he's ended up at another championship club.   I suppose for some players it will be about taking a job that gives them the best lifestyle they want rather than trying to play at the very highest level possible.  All that could be shite i suppose but sounds plausible.

I think he looks like a great player and if we're going to sign from  the lower leagues it's players like that you want but if he has no real interest then nothing you can really do.  If he's not arsed about moving on there's not that much scope to sell him on for a profit either.

Did we actually put an offer on  

the table for him?

Edited by Costa

3 minutes ago, Costa said:

Did we actually put an offer on  

the table for him?

No idea, there was rumoured interest but maybe clear early on it wasn't going to go anywhere.

55 minutes ago, Smithee said:

He's just not that good mate, simple as that. If I've seen the flaws in his game I have to assume that professional scouts have too.

Not saying for a second he's gonna be the messiah, but he's still young and on the back of a strong season. In a world where Craig Levein thinks Craig Wighton is worth a 6 figure sum of cash, I'd have though Shankland would've been at least worth a punt.

Seymour M Hersh

Well considering the number of failed punts we've taken over the years maybe it's for the best we didn't on this occasion.

2 minutes ago, Locky said:

Not saying for a second he's gonna be the messiah, but he's still young and on the back of a strong season. In a world where Craig Levein thinks Craig Wighton is worth a 6 figure sum of cash, I'd have though Shankland would've been at least worth a punt.

Its surelg the consistency you have to look for in a player too

I think we need to look at a similar player to Uche as the bigman wont play every game

Shankland aint similar to Uche

6 minutes ago, Costa said:

Its surelg the consistency you have to look for in a player too

I think we need to look at a similar player to Uche as the bigman wont play every game

Shankland aint similar to Uche

Problem with that is if Levein signs some 6 foot 3 striker who's built like a brick shithouse, he'll be blasted as a dinosaur.

Mr Elwood P
46 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

If he is at Dundee United it's because that was the best offer he got.

I don’t think that the best offer for him necessarily means the best wage. He seems keen to ensure that he’s playing. At a bigger club his game time could have been extremely limited. Heshould get plenty game time at Dundee United.  

15 minutes ago, Locky said:

Problem with that is if Levein signs some 6 foot 3 striker who's built like a brick shithouse, he'll be blasted as a dinosaur.

Well he shouldnt be as a good big guy is worth his weight in Gold especially one who can lead the line well bring others onto play and score goals

We cant all be Man City or Liverpool we are in the spfl ffs

Hackney Hearts
12 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

First competitive game, versus Hearts. Wonder what’s going to happen there ... 

Guaranteed. Might have been worth signing him just to avoid that scenario. 

Ibrahim Tall

Shankland despite having a ‘great’ goal record on paper actually only scored 5 or 6 goals post January, and even a few of them were penalties. Also yes, he was top scorer but he only finished a few goals ahead of a 36 year old Stephen Dobbie.

He’d be a risk for anyone at a higher level tbh, given how shite Morgan was for Sunderland coming from the same level I’m not surprised they didn’t take the risk.

Jambo 4 Ever
5 hours ago, Locky said:

agreed

compared to some of the dross we have signed recently - he would be been low risk

Just now, DH1986 said:

So he’s chosen DU over Rangers ?

Another fable for the ITK’ers bin.

Is there any evidence (other than this thread) that Hearts / Rangers / Sunderland were actually in for this guy? 

If so, he's made a weird choice of club! 

2 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

So he’s chosen DU over Rangers ?

Another fable for the ITK’ers bin.

Over Swansea and Sunderland too. 

Hectormasson
12 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

First competitive game, versus Hearts. Wonder what’s going to happen there ... 

Hearts to win , but shankland first goalscorer ???

3 hours ago, iainmac said:

Is there any evidence (other than this thread) that Hearts / Rangers / Sunderland were actually in for this guy? 

If so, he's made a weird choice of club! 

Exactly my thoughrs sounds as if it was all rubbish that 30  clubs were chasing his signature

Why would you  choose the arabs it just disnae make any sense at all

5 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Aye?

https://spfl.co.uk/

Aye

Won't do it in the top league..... Dennis Wyness, Gavin Reilly, plenty guys score bundles in the lower league but can't do it in the top league.....thanks for the link but I'll pass

The Internet

Dundee utd surely going to romp the championship next season. If they get gauld they might as well just be given the trophy now. 

The Internet

Utd look far stronger than those two, particularly in attack. I mean Sow, Clark, McMullan, Shankland and even Cammy Smith would be decent options at spl level.

bajthejambo

Apparently he was scouted by a number of clubs who felt he wasn't any better than the level he was at. Apologies if that has already been mentioned on the thread. I heard it second hand.

The Internet

It is a bit weird for a striker to have such an amazing goalscoring record 2 seasons running and have absolutely no takers at a higher level. There must be something putting clubs off. 

heartsfc_fan
9 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

It is a bit weird for a striker to have such an amazing goalscoring record 2 seasons running and have absolutely no takers at a higher level. There must be something putting clubs off. 

My thoughts exactly.

The fact is we've got in Washington, Walker and (probably) Naismith instead who have all played at higher levels is reassuring however.

Forza Cuore

I think it's a good fit. Shankland looking to play at a higher level but a bit reticent to go the Premier too soon and blow it. United seem the perfect fit as a potential Premier team.

chester copperpot
15 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

That is my thoughts too. Apparently he's a wee ned but it's never stopped Scottish clubs in the past tho. 

Pants Shaton

If he was as good as some people think - he wouldn’t just have signed for Dundee United.  Take that to the bank.