Lawrence Shankland Signs fir Dundee Utd ( updated )

letsalldothebeattie

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Sagan

• Mikey1874

• YouLetYourClubDie

How much are they paying him ?

Just because they got him on a free doesnt mean they dont have to pay him and maybe thought we could spend the wage elsewhere. We didnt fancy him even on a free so there has to be something up. Maybe as I stated we have too many players in that position on contracts already, could be any number of reasons. What it does state though is the club were not prepared to pay a wage on a player who hasnt been proven at SPL level and didnt think it was worth the gamble. If this turns out to be a mistake Im sure you will spend no time venting on here to anyone who will listen.

We can continue to pick up the best players in the championship every year and still not get one that can play at this level, or we could do what hibs done and fill our entire team of championship level players and play them in the SPL.

Simple fact is we didnt sign him and that wont change for the time being. I even doubt we will ever sign him but the chances of him playing and being as prolific at even top SPL level are slim.

Maybe you should send all your signing targets on a budget to the club and we will have a team capable of winning everything in a few seasons.

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, jackal said:

How much are they paying him ?

Just because they got him on a free doesnt mean they dont have to pay him and maybe thought we could spend the wage elsewhere. We didnt fancy him even on a free so there has to be something up. Maybe as I stated we have too many players in that position on contracts already, could be any number of reasons. What it does state though is the club were not prepared to pay a wage on a player who hasnt been proven at SPL level and didnt think it was worth the gamble. If this turns out to be a mistake Im sure you will spend no time venting on here to anyone who will listen.

We can continue to pick up the best players in the championship every year and still not get one that can play at this level, or we could do what hibs done and fill our entire team of championship level players and play them in the SPL.

Simple fact is we didnt sign him and that wont change for the time being. I even doubt we will ever sign him but the chances of him playing and being as prolific at even top SPL level are slim.

Maybe you should send all your signing targets on a budget to the club and we will have a team capable of winning everything in a few seasons.

Fecking behave yourself and stop acting like a bairn

You are so much in denial about Shankland you are praying he flops at United.

A free transfer gamble - heard it all now

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, jambonian said:

What did we pay for Wighton?

Whatever it was it was too much

Only one acting like a bairn is yourself. You obviously think the club should have signed Shankland but they didnt so your toys are oot the pram. You must know better than the club with signing policies so you are arguing against anyone who says we shouldnt have signed him.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, jackal said:

Only one acting like a bairn is yourself. You obviously think the club should have signed Shankland but they didnt so your toys are oot the pram. You must know better than the club with signing policies so you are arguing against anyone who says we shouldnt have signed him.

You are the one that's asking questions about why he chose Dundee United like anybody on here would know and in doing so assuming he's not good enough for free scoring Hearts

10 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Fecking behave yourself and stop acting like a bairn

You are so much in denial about Shankland you are praying he flops at United.

A free transfer gamble - heard it all now

Reputedly a £200k signing on fee

chester copperpot
12 minutes ago, jambonian said:

What did we pay for Wighton?

Coupla hundred grand I think.

Maroon Sailor
Just now, jackal said:

So tell me why he chose Utd then.

Are we supposed to know that ?

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, jackal said:

Also waste of time editing posts after you post them.

Sorry I'll edit them before I post them !

Well you seem to know everything else. One thing I do know is we never signed him.

Why not go and start a thread about Wighton to cheer yourself up.

Easy to add to an edit after a post to make it look better.

I have no interest if Shankland flops at utd.

And a free transfer isnt free as I said before. He still needs to be paid.

Just to answer your edit.

Saint Jambo
42 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Whatever it was it was too much

It's amazing that so many posters are happy to talk about Shankland being young and able to develop further. He turns 24 in a couple of weeks. Wighton has just turned 21 and already been written off by most Hearts fans.

At the age Wighton is now, Shankland was being repeatedly loaned out to the lower leagues by Aberdeen as they'd written him off. In the equivalent of the season we are about to go into for Wighton (I.e. 21 years old) Shankland was about to start a season long loan at St Mirren, but they sent him back after 6 months having failed to score a league goal that season (he'd done better there the previous season). He then went out to Morton for the second half of the season, finishing the season with 4 goals in 33 games. Maybe something for Hearts fans to think about as they slaughter Wighton yet again.

Now for the love of God, isn't it time to close this thread. Every other thread about an individual player seems to be immediately merged into one of the giant threads. Shouldn't this one be merged into the non-Hearts summer transfer thread and save us from it being bumped every single time that Shankland scores in the Championship and someone fancies using it as a stick to beat Hearts with.

Fort Vallance
6 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

It's amazing that so many posters are happy to talk about Shankland being young and able to develop further. He turns 24 in a couple of weeks. Wighton has just turned 21 and already been written off by most Hearts fans.

At the age Wighton is now, Shankland was being repeatedly loaned out to the lower leagues by Aberdeen as they'd written him off. In the equivalent of the season we are about to go into for Wighton (I.e. 21 years old) Shankland was about to start a season long loan at St Mirren, but they sent him back after 6 months having failed to score a league goal that season (he'd done better there the previous season). He then went out to Morton for the second half of the season, finishing the season with 4 goals in 33 games. Maybe something for Hearts fans to think about as they slaughter Wighton yet again.

Now for the love of God, isn't it time to close this thread. Every other thread about an individual player seems to be immediately merged into one of the giant threads. Shouldn't this one be merged into the non-Hearts summer transfer thread and save us from it being bumped every single time that Shankland scores in the Championship and someone fancies using it as a stick to beat Hearts with.

You're right about the age thing. However I'm willing to bet Wighton will still be crap when he's 24. You can't coach balls into someone.

The Internet
13 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Being way too fair on wighton there imo. Need to rip into him at every opportunity like a phm. 

Saint Jambo
4 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

You're right about the age thing. However I'm willing to bet Wighton will still be crap when he's 24. You can't coach balls into someone.

And I'd be willing to bet that if you went back 3 years you'd find Aberdeen fans saying the same about Shankland.

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, jackal said:

Easy to add to an edit after a post to make it look better.

I have no interest if Shankland flops at utd.

And a free transfer isnt free as I said before. He still needs to be paid.

Just to answer your edit.

Easy to edit after you have read a reply to your question after you've posted your initial reply.

I'll just type a new message in future just to keep you happy.

3 hours ago, TweedbankJambo said:

The lad has a scent for goal you can't teach, we should've went for him imo..

Well..... a man with 6 posts can always say "I told you so"........... except you didn't lol.

Jambo 4 Ever
12 hours ago, jackal said:

The gamble is exactly what you say, a gamble. Some supporters complain about players already at the club because they arent at the level of players who have played in the highest leagues in Europe.

If I had the choice between Washington and Shankland I would take Washington only because of the level he has played at in comparison to Shanlkland. The club has already taken gambles on Uche, Lee,Haring,Clare,Wighton and Mulraney to name a few and people still complain because we didnt finish top 4. You cant keep taking gambles and expect to finish in the top few places.

Im sure we would all love to sign That one player who goes on to be prolific at every level they play but its fairytale stuff.

Hearts had plenty to lose in signing a player and paying and giving him a place in the team not knowing if he would be any better than whats at the club already.

Washington doesn’t score goals though 

i wish jj was my dad
3 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

He doesn't?

129 goals so far in his career not enough?

It's more than Lafferty and Naismith, and nobody was complaining about them!

The Internet

Good insight mate. Keen to hear more. 

TweedbankJambo
9 hours ago, tcjambo said:

Well..... a man with 6 posts can always say "I told you so"........... except you didn't lol.

Why is a number of posts important to you? 

Maroon Sailor
3 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Maybe we should just go for Mitch Megginson then = 49 goal last season for Cove

Nah we have to wait to see if any other Premiership clubs are interested and are prepared to take a gamble on someone who will cost chicken feed all in.

Tommy Brown
15 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Is this thread gonna stay open until he retires?

Yes, it's the player version of Robbie shoogly nail thread.

He scored against us, doesn't every struggling CF always do against us.

But United completely unimpressed me, which doesn't help player.

Can see the Robbie shoogly nail thread being revived.

Maroon Sailor

This thread is what it is because there is probably not one Hearts fan that would have been disappointed if Shankland ended up in a Hearts shirt. Nothing to lose in signing him. A free hit to try and solve our problems in front of goal. Could have worked well with Washington.

Jambo 4 Ever
4 hours ago, Tenor said:

129 goals so far in his career not enough?

It's more than Lafferty and Naismith, and nobody was complaining about them!

When did he last score a goal in open play in a competitive game?

2 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

When did he last score a goal in open play in a competitive game?

Shall we maybe wait before we judge him, aye?

Remember John Sutton? Form doesn’t always transfer to a different team!

Telford Jambo

It may be as simple as Levein not having a space for a penalty box striker in his team. As I see it, the central striker in Levein's team requires to be somebody that can hold the ball up. Having only seen Shankland once, at the United game last week, he doesn't appear to have the ability to hold the ball up. On that basis , it would be an entirely pointless signing.

The Future's Maroon
48 minutes ago, Tenor said:

Shall we maybe wait before we judge him, aye?

Remember John Sutton? Form doesn’t always transfer to a different team!

Excellent example, I mind when we signed him and I thought we had found someone who would bang in the goals for us, just didn’t work out like that in the end.

6 minutes ago, Telford Jambo said:

It may be as simple as Levein not having a space for a penalty box striker in his team. As I see it, the central striker in Levein's team requires to be somebody that can hold the ball up. Having only seen Shankland once, at the United game last week, he doesn't appear to have the ability to hold the ball up. On that basis , it would be an entirely pointless signing.

Finally, someone understands it.

Maroon Sailor
11 minutes ago, Telford Jambo said:

We've had pointless signings in the past

Vanecek ?

Everybody raved about him !

Absolute pony 

Telford Jambo
4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

We've had pointless signings in the past

Vanecek ?

Everybody raved about him !

Absolute pony 

No argument from me!

Rabbie_Burns
1 minute ago, To Be Frank said:

Unavailable I think

Played the full 90mins according to BBC Scotland website

Alex Kintner
3 minutes ago, Rabbie_Burns said:

Don’t think so mate

It's just as ridiculous to judge him on one game where he didn't score as it is to roll out the hyperbole for two games in which he did.

It will be interesting to see how he does this season overall. I personally don't think we've missed out to any great extent.

18 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

How did he get on tonight..........

Got the full 90 minutes. Good for fitness. 

10 minutes ago, Rabbie_Burns said:

6 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Don’t think so mate

So what did he do? Late sub? Dundee United had him on at 88 minutes. I'll check the subs now.