letsalldothebeattie

Lawrence Shankland Signs fir Dundee Utd ( updated )

Morph

Dundee Utd couldn’t get out their own half and he’s scored with pretty much his only chance :laugh: 

Think he’ll be good for them. 

Jamboelite
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, VALDOS' said:

Still think he should have been brought in, goals were a problem last year as there is no natural finisher/poacher in the squad. 

Based on his sitter then natural finisher isnt his role either.

He scored an open goal when our keeper went for a walk but he did nothing.else.

Edited by Jamboelite

OTT

I want the lad to go on and prove everybody wrong.

He had bags of potential but much like every other scottish striker he's stumbled when its came time to realise that potential. At.. what 23? he's still got time on his side and could easily be on for a decent move in 2 seasons time (provided he makes the step up).

ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Morph said:

Dundee Utd couldn’t get out their own half and he’s scored with pretty much his only chance :laugh: 

Think he’ll be good for them. 

He in no way looked anywhere near a Premiership striker though.

A_A wehatethehibs
8 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

There are many on here were also desperate for us to sign Faisal El Baktouhi. 

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if he ever plays consistently at premier league level.

Aye, instead we went for Sammon and Watt. Flops

We have followed the sammon and watt “failed at a higher level” non-scorer formula again with Washington on paper. And again we’ve passed on an in-form goalscorer from a lower level. 

Fingers crossed Washington will get his head right and get himself amongst the goals as we all know, that’s what strikers are judged by. Today he was anonymous whereas Shankland is on the scoresheet. That is all that matters in the mind of the true predatory striker. 

Morph
13 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

He in no way looked anywhere near a Premiership striker though.

Craig wighton is a premiership striker and I know which player id rather have. 

I dont think it’s a case of him not being good enough to get the interest of prem teams, there’s something else there.  Time will tell but I think utd have made a good signing. 

Martin_T
2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We have followed the sammon and watt “failed at a higher level” non-scorer formula again with Washington on paper. And again we’ve passed on an in-form goalscorer from a lower level. 

Fingers crossed Washington will get his head right and get himself amongst the goals as we all know, that’s what strikers are judged by. Today he was anonymous whereas Shankland is on the scoresheet. That is all that matters in the mind of the true predatory striker. 

We don't have a great track record with signing lower league goalscorers. Wyness and Reilly immediately spring to mind.

Who was the last prolific striker in the lower leagues in Scotland to make the step up to the premier league and maintain a similar ratio? 

ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Morph said:

Craig wighton is a premiership striker and I know which player id rather have. 

I dont think it’s a case of him not being good enough to get the interest of prem teams, there’s something else there.  Time will tell but I think utd have made a good signing. 

I'm sure he'll score for fun again in the championship, although he'll need better service than he got tonight.

A_A wehatethehibs
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Martin_T said:

We don't have a great track record with signing lower league goalscorers. Wyness and Reilly immediately spring to mind.

Who was the last prolific striker in the lower leagues in Scotland to make the step up to the premier league and maintain a similar ratio? 

Griffiths. 

Wyness was 15 years ago.

Reilly was better than Sammon and Watt 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Martin_T
Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Griffiths. 

Griffiths certainly has done it. For every Griffiths, there's a Wyness, a Reilly, a Keatings, an El Baktouhi, a Brian Graham etc etc.

It's a risk, and Shankland, like St Johnstone's budget relative to Paul Hartley's bottom six Dundee side, looked quite a bit short.

He took his chance well and I'm sure he'll continue to score goals at their level.

VALDOS'
26 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

I would like to think a player is judged on more than 90 minutes, otherwise a condemnation report will be at the ready for a few tonight. 

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Griffiths certainly has done it. For every Griffiths, there's a Wyness, a Reilly, a Keatings, an El Baktouhi, a Brian Graham etc etc.

It's a risk, and Shankland, like St Johnstone's budget relative to Paul Hartley's bottom six Dundee side, looked quite a bit short.

He took his chance well and I'm sure he'll continue to score goals at their level.

It’s always a risk at this level. Craig levein has made his bet on Conor Washington being the number 9 we need. We will see how it turns out. 

biffy

He had no service and scored with the one chance he had. He just wants the ball in the box and not to do much else. 

Barack
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

It’s always a risk at this level. Craig levein has made his bet on Conor Washington being the number 9 we need. We will see how it turns out. 

The two are not the same.

Shankland will score more goals, because like Robbo & McCoist, he practically lives in the space 20 yards out and the width of the goals. 

Washington I can see scoring 10+ once Naismith is back and they are all up to speed & know how to play to each other's strength. 

You got a glimpse of what effort & running you'll see from him in the future, tonight. Will create as many for others, as he gets himself.

Edited by Barack

Pans Jambo

His positioning for his goal was class. Luck or not. I think he will send a few into the onion bag this season. 

He was blowing out his arse 2nd half though. Not a great advert for his personal training business eh!

JamboAl1965

Didn’t see anything in Shankland tonight that made me think a number of premiership clubs have made a mistake and missed out. Took his goal well when handed on a plate but not a top flight striker for me. 

Mikey1874
1 hour ago, Dannie Boy said:

I was speaking of the likes of Sammon et al

Sammon isn't a Hearts player.

Mikey1874
16 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

His positioning for his goal was class. Luck or not. I think he will send a few into the onion bag this season. 

He was blowing out his arse 2nd half though. Not a great advert for his personal training business eh!

It was a great goal.

Subbed after 64 minutes though. 

Dundee United might think they are favourites for promotion. But it's going to be tough. 

Fozzyonthefence
56 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

Unlike our two strikers who did **** all.

Mikey1874
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Unlike our two strikers who did **** all.

Finishing is definitely the question after tonight. Naismith should help that though. 

Edited by Mikey1874

tartofmidlothian
45 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Sammon, Watt and Shankland were all signed by Robbie Neilson.

It depends how much Shankland wanted, though. Unless United have flung their budget at him, he would have been a good punt on Championship wages. Even if he scored three goals and we paid him off a year from now.

Dannie Boy
8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Sammon isn't a Hearts player.

I was speaking about previous so called strikers we’ve signed and been utter ponies. To date we haven’t really signed a striker that done what he’s paid for. 

Mikey1874
6 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

I was speaking about previous so called strikers we’ve signed and been utter ponies. To date we haven’t really signed a striker that done what he’s paid for. 

Naismith coming in should help. 

Dannie Boy
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Naismith coming in should help. 

I really hope so. Just hope he stays fit. He would have relished playing tonight.

Cruickshank for Scotland

Shankland not good enough for Hearts seemingly.....

Who_put_the_ball_in...
15 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Lafferty?

Dannie Boy
Just now, Who_put_the_ball_in... said:

Lafferty?

Lafferty was different to the others he’s was a known quantity and played at a high level. In the end he went for the money but that was all he got, he rarely got a sniff at Sevco. The rest were as we all could see failures. 

Tott
20 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Shankland not good enough for Hearts seemingly.....

He was woeful.

Defensive howler from us,took the chance,but didnt touch the ball again.

Will probably score a few  in the championship,but  that is his level.

SpruceBringsteen

Shankland: scores goal, never touches the ball again = should have signed him

Isma, Juanma etc: scores goal, touches the ball plenty = GET OUT OF MY CLUB YOU LAZY ****

These are Olympic level mental gymnastics tbh

ToqueJambo
39 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Lafferty was different to the others he’s was a known quantity and played at a high level. In the end he went for the money but that was all he got, he rarely got a sniff at Sevco. The rest were as we all could see failures. 

What about Naismith (14 in 33), Keatings (11 in 29), Sow (20 in 45), Zeefuik (12 in 15), Isma (13 in 35), Jonson (6 in 34 but coming on to a game when dumped by Cathro and has shown his quality in the Netherlands), Juanma (12 in 33)?

chester copperpot
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

It was a great goal.

Dundee United might think they are favourites for promotion. But it's going to be tough. 

It's a tough league to get out of. Unless that club is Heart of Midlothian 

:verysmug:

Edited by chester copperpot

To Be Frank
33 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Isma, Juanma etc: scores goal, touches the ball plenty = GET OUT OF MY CLUB YOU LAZY ****

:spoton:

Dallas Green

Shan haircut and 5 heed.

A_A wehatethehibs
7 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Shankland: relevant today, July 2019.

Isma and Juanma: not relevant.

We have just passed on Shankland and gave Washington our #9 and Walker our #11 - they are the master plan to fill our severe goal problem outside Steven Naismith. Folks are trying to downplay Shankland as “not looking good enough” - it’s his first pre season cup tie, everyone’s half fit, it’s a hard game away from home at Tynecastle and he’s the only striker on the pitch who’s scored. End of. Did Washington “look good enough for Hearts” last night? Not particularly, he was pretty anonymous and didn’t score. But he has plenty of time, he has about a month or two to get the goal tally ticking before he’s labelled a potential dud. 

At the moment we have no idea how it will all turn out, but many hoped we’d sign shankland not based on last night but based on his scoring form. Great, we got Washington, he is former £2m rated and has played at a higher level, hope he hits scoring form though. He’s not shown much scoring form in about 3 or 4 years. Shankland on the other hand is the current scoring form player in Scottish football.

PTBCAL

Surprised at his poor level of fitness and lack of movement

Will he score goals at that level - absolutely 

Did I want him at us - absolutely not.

SpruceBringsteen
6 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Folks are trying to downplay Shankland as “not looking good enough” 

He's certainly not good looking enough.

:greggy:

Spoiler

He's also clearly absolutely terrible at football.

HighTimes
17 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

It was a great goal.

Given the way they booted everything that moved in a Hearts top last night, I hope they stay down.

Leveins Battalion

Rather have Will Keane:clyay:

Mauricio Pinilla

He is a strange one. In a way it makes sense as he's likely to be in a winning team, more exciting than going to a motherwell or St Johnstone or whatever, and will probably end up with promotion anyway. It's just bizarre to see someone with a record like that staying in the 2nd tier. It's easy to say we've missed a trick but I didn't see Aberdeen, killie, hibs or anyone else making a big effort to get him. 

J.T.F.Robertson
25 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

It's easy to say we've missed a trick but I didn't see Aberdeen, killie, hibs or anyone else making a big effort to get him. 

Exactly!;

He may prove everyone wrong but something doesn't add up.

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, HighTimes said:

Given the way they booted everything that moved in a Hearts top last night, I hope they stay down.

Only because balloon clancy did nothing about it, what an utter clown of a ref.

Cruickshank for Scotland
17 hours ago, Tott said:

He was woeful.

Defensive howler from us,took the chance,but didnt touch the ball again.

Will probably score a few  in the championship,but  that is his level.

Wish he had been on the end of some of the chances we created last night!

By the way what’s Wighton’s “level”?? 😉

jambopilms

There is one reason that he is at Dundee Utd and that's because there was no serious offers from anyone bigger or better. That tells a story. 

HighTimes
2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Only because balloon clancy did nothing about it, what an utter clown of a ref.

Aye he was shit.  But he didn't force them to be a bunch of dirty *******s, just let them get away with it.

ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Wish he had been on the end of some of the chances we created last night!

By the way what’s Wighton’s “level”?? 😉

What’s wighton’s level? He’s earned himself a contract at a top club hasn’t he? Wighton is what 2/3 years younger than Shankland and was scoring goals in the top league at a younger age while Shankland was blowing his chance with Aberdeen.

sadj
21 hours ago, Martin_T said:

There are many on here were also desperate for us to sign Faisal El Baktouhi. 

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if he ever plays consistently at premier league level.

Levein looked at El Baktouhi and said no because he didn’t believe he had what it took to play in the Premiership. 

I think Shankland has something but this season will tell us a lot. He seems a natural goalscorer but for Dundee United to get him over any team down south or other team in Scotland they have either thrown a lot of money at him , teams have seen something that puts them off or he doesn’t fancy testing himself higher.

DETTY29

Always wary of the 'goal scorer' tag and that's all that matters.

When you look back at games from 20 - 30 years ago, guys like Robbo and McCoist were bloody good footballers.

Running channels, linking play and being all round pests from start to finish.

Smithee
46 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Always wary of the 'goal scorer' tag and that's all that matters.

When you look back at games from 20 - 30 years ago, guys like Robbo and McCoist were bloody good footballers.

Running channels, linking play and being all round pests from start to finish.

This is very true, robbo was much more than just a goal scorer

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, HighTimes said:

Aye he was shit.  But he didn't force them to be a bunch of dirty *******s, just let them get away with it.

Very true, 

Maroon Sailor
3 hours ago, jambopilms said:

There is one reason that he is at Dundee Utd and that's because there was no serious offers from anyone bigger or better. That tells a story. 

How do you explain Wighton being at Hearts with that theory ?