Lawrence Shankland Signs fir Dundee Utd ( updated )

letsalldothebeattie

1 minute ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

He's a risk, but imo not a punt. 

If we aren't going to go for a young guy that's scored over 50 goals in two seasons in the division below, who ate we going for? 

I don't know if he'll be a success or not, but he's the tyoe of player we should be getting or at least going for. 

A punt imo is usually a foreign guy or a guy from a few leagues below.  Stockton, Martin, even Uche and the likes. 

Agree with this. A strike rate like Shanklands suggests he's playing at a level below his ability. Ridiculous to suggest he isn't a player we should be looking at, he's exactly the sort of profile we should be looking at. 

He may not work out, but thats part of the risk you take with every player that is brought into the club. Stevenson might not have worked out, Webster might not have worked out. Of course for every Stevenson, there is a Reilly, but as i've said thats the risk you take. Shankland has been a consistent prolific goalscorer for two seasons, its about the safest punt we could make. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Sagan

• Mikey1874

• YouLetYourClubDie

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I don't think there is a difference. You have a punt at the bookies and the risk is that you don't get your money back. We have a punt on a player like Shankland, who didn't cut it at Aberdeen, the risk is that he doesn't make it at Hearts either. Think for us the only signings that couldn't be described as a 'punt' are Berra / Naismith type arrivals.

Fair doos. 

Well if he's a punt it's not a  Berra type punt. 

Mr Elwood P

Fair doos. 

Well if he's a punt it's not a  Berra type punt. 

That's a Berra type hoof!

For what it's worth I quite fancy the idea of Shankland. De Vries with Kirk / Wales / Weir worked well. Could see similar results with Uche / Shankland. Definitely need a few options. Wonder if Keena or Wighton will go out on loan?

AlphonseCapone
7 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Naismith, Lafferty, Walker, Zeefuick, even Paterson could be regarded as a natural goalscorer given his strike rate from right back.

Lafferty's goal scoring record isn't actually that good. I said this before we signed him, but he ended up having the best spell of his career with us. Over all he's 1 goal every 4 games. He was 1 every 2.8 games with us. 

10 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Naismith, Lafferty, Walker, Zeefuick, even Paterson could be regarded as a natural goalscorer given his strike rate from right back.

Zeefuik yes but not the rest of them. I am talking about someone who makes natural goalscorer's runs and is a poacher. The rest of those players have different attributes. 

Mr Elwood P
Just now, AlphonseCapone said:

Lafferty's goal scoring record isn't actually that good. I said this before we signed him, but he ended up having the best spell of his career with us. Over all he's 1 goal every 4 games. He was 1 every 2.8 games with us. 

Yeah I was just talking about his Hearts contribution. Same with Naismith he's had his most prolific strike rate while at Hearts.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

That's a Berra type hoof!

For what it's worth I quite fancy the idea of Shankland. De Vries with Kirk / Wales / Weir worked well. Could see similar results with Uche / Shankland. Definitely need a few options. Wonder if Keena or Wighton will go out on loan?

My bet would be Wighton. 

Give the lad a chance to get confidence etc. The fans won't give him much slack  this season. He'd need to start well or he'd be broken. I'd give him a six month loan, Dundee would be decent for him. 

Silly me, ofc Berra hoofs it. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Mr Elwood P
Just now, Jodami said:

Zeefuik yes but not the rest of them. I am talking about someone who makes natural goalscorer's runs and is a poacher. The rest of those players have different attributes. 

Naismith scored 10 league goals in 19 league games for us this time, that's about as natural as its gonna get down Tynecastle Park. Think every single goal by Naismith was in the box, poacher type goal? Lafferty scored a lot of fantastic strikes so can see why folk wouldn't class him as a 'natural finisher'.

Mr Elwood P

My bet would be Wighton. 

Give the lad a chance to get confidence etc. The fans won't give him much slack  this season. He'd need to start well or he'd be broken. I'd give him a six month loan, Dundee would be decent for him. 

Silly me, ofc Berra hoofs it. 

Interested to see what happens with Keena.

Current options are:

Uche

Naismith (hopefully)

Keena

Wighton

MacLean

Add two strikers to that lot and it probably requires some movement in the other direction, unless Naismith is one of the two?

AlphonseCapone
8 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Yeah I was just talking about his Hearts contribution. Same with Naismith he's had his most prolific strike rate while at Hearts.

Aye Naismith's is crazy good. Shows why we missed him so much. 

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

That was shrewd of Levein to identify PH's MF potential.

The thread, however, is about Shankland before you manage to turn into yet another CL witch hunt.

I think you’re rewriting history here....

It was actually Billy Stark who moved PH from the wing into a central midfield role whilst at St Johnstone.

It was his performances in that position that caught CL’s attention and he signed him on a pre contract agreement.

However.....

CL inexplicably decided to move PH back out to the wing and he struggled to impress. It was only when he moved back into the middle of the pitch he recaptured his form.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Current options are:

Uche

Naismith (hopefully)

Keena

Wighton

MacLean

Add two strikers to that lot and it probably requires some movement in the other direction, unless Naismith is one of the two?

Maclean I reckon will be our Hughes type figure, unless there is a golfing accident, surely he won't play much. 

Naismith more behind the front two or one role with Clare maybe playing a bit less? 

Clare might be used in the middle in a 5 midfield as well? 

Wighton out on loan. 

Uche, kenna and another as a striker? 

3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Naismith scored 10 league goals in 19 league games for us this time, that's about as natural as its gonna get down Tynecastle Park. Think every single goal by Naismith was in the box, poacher type goal? Lafferty scored a lot of fantastic strikes so can see why folk wouldn't class him as a 'natural finisher'.

Naismith is a decent finisher but he's more of a number 10 than a 9. Natural goalscorer plays on the shoulder and makes those lovely little angled runs in behind. They are also looking for tap ins from balls being squared across the box, Mulraney whipped some fantastic balls in games latterly in the season which deserved finishing.  It's really quite an intuitive art which to be fair we seem to have been unable to coach into any of our youngsters since the Wee Man!! 

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Maclean I reckon will be our Hughes type figure, unless there is a golfing accident, surely he won't play much. 

Naismith more behind the front two or one role with Clare maybe playing a bit less? 

Clare might be used in the middle in a 5 midfield as well? 

Wighton out on loan. 

Uche, kenna and another as a striker? 

I really like MacLean, think he was integral to our great start and him, Naismith and Uche looked good together. Would be happy to see the three of them start against United. 

Naismith in midfield could work. Harring / Naismith the new Hartley / Brellier 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

I really like MacLean, think he was integral to our great start and him, Naismith and Uche looked good together. Would be happy to see the three of them start against United. 

Naismith in midfield could work. Harring / Naismith the new Hartley / Brellier 

Yeah, me too but if everyone is fit and we sign another striker I think he will be used less. 

Thing is with

Naismith 

Maclean 

Uche

Shankland

Kenna 

Even Clare, 

We are in a position to mix it up and change things. 

Opshunnnnns. 

If Clare can unleash some of his potential, Naismith stay injury free, Shankland hit the ground running we're in a good place. 

Add in walker, skinny the big lad from Leeds we're on a winner. 

We shouldn't be as reliant on Naismith. 

Gordon to bring a bit coolness in goal. 

Halkett in defence. 

That's the gk, defence, midfield wide areas and strikers all improved from last season. 

Lb is still wide open with white and hickey largely being unknown quantities

Think we'll have one wow signing as well that surprises everyone. 

A woucher signing, things that make you go "wow".... 

Mr Elwood P
5 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Yeah, me too but if everyone is fit and we sign another striker I think he will be used less. 

Thing is with

Naismith 

Maclean 

Uche

Shankland

Kenna 

Even Clare, 

Opshunnnnns. 

If Clare can unleash some of his potential, Naismith stay injury free, Shankland hit the ground running we're in a good place. 

Halkett in defence. 

That's the gk, defence, midfield wide areas and strikers all improved from last season. 

Be happy if we get half of that lot signed! 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Be happy if we get half of that lot signed! 

Being a happy clapper takes dedication, time and thought. 

All seem duable and imo would only leave us needing a good midfielder to replace Edwards or Bozanic, I expect one of them or Lee to leave. 

We'll likely get a few "punts" in as well, Cletus types, but hopefully only one or two. 

All the moaners don't know how tough it is being a clapper. 

Mr Elwood P
2 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Being a happy clapper takes dedication, time and thought. 

All seem duable and imo would only leave us needing a good midfielder to replace Edwards or Bozanic, I expect one of them or Lee to leave. 

We'll likely get a few "punts" in as well, Cletus types, but hopefully only one or two. 

All the moaners don't know how tough it is being a clapper. 

Think a top quality midfielder, winger and striker would have us in a good place. If we can get shot of Doyle I think we can do much better and give Zlamal some competition. Doyle gives me the absolute fear.

Finlay James
20 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Thing is with

Naismith 

Maclean 

Uche

Shankland

Kenna 

Even Clare, 

Opshunnnnns. 

Halkett in defence. 

I think we'll see some surprises from the academy as well.  Andy Irving and Connor Smith could make an impact.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Think a top quality midfielder, winger and striker would have us in a good place. If we can get shot of Doyle I think we can do much better and give Zlamal some competition. Doyle gives me the absolute fear.

Aye, Gordon could be that guy. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

I think we'll see some surprises from the academy as well.  Andy Irving and Connor Smith could make an impact.

?

1 hour ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Shankland is in no way a punt, a punt is generally a complete unkown player. 

Shankland is exactly what we should be after, a young goal scorer who was exceptional in the league below, as a club we can't go on much else. 

Can he step up- mentality, quality and fitness wise? No body knows until he steps up.... 

Course he'd be a punt .

Your last bit about nobody knows until he steps up ?

Christ your emphasis is on site him being a punt

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, jambocub said:

Course he'd be a punt .

Your last bit about nobody knows until he steps up ?

Christ your emphasis is on site him being a punt

Maybe, but imo a player that is performing very well the level below isn't a punt. 

A punt, imo is a complete unknown or almost unknown quantity. 

Explained above, maybe others think different, fair doos. 

Every signing apart from a very few could be classed as a punt if you you really think about it, but when talking in general about transfers a punt to me is a Martin, DV even a Uche. Usually a guy from a few leagues below and/ or from a foreign league. 

Anyway, no matter I think it's exactly the type of player we should be going for, hope he signs. 

No guarantee of success tho, like every signing. 

6 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Maybe, but imo a player that is performing very well the level below isn't a punt. 

A punt, imo is a complete unknown or almost unknown quantity. 

Explained above, maybe others think different, fair doos. 

Every signing apart from a very few could be classed as a punt if you you really think about it, but when talking in general about transfers a punt to me is a Martin, DV even a Uche. Usually a guy from a few leagues below and/ or from a foreign league. 

Anyway, no matter I think it's exactly the type of player we should be going for, hope he signs. 

No guarantee of success tho, like every signing. 

Unkown to who ?

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

His Instagram shows he’s just back from Dubai. So we might hear something in the next few days.

At least it wasn’t Thailand.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, jambocub said:

Unkown to who ?

Unknown as no one knows how he'll adapt to football at Hearts and Scotland

For example he hasn't lived in Scotland / culture / football style / lifestyle / famuly/ even weather /expectations and ofc level of football. 

No matter the scouting, if the players a punt he'll fit into most if not all the above criteria and due to him being a punt you'll be less unsure how he'll adapt to the above. 

Shankland is really just about the jump in level, but giving he's been exceptional in a league below it also mitigates some fears about this, my thinking as well as I'm sure Hearts and a few others  is that he'll be at least decent. He ofc might not be. 

But in the relative sphere of transfers, imo he's not a punt for Hearts, he'd be more of a punt for Sunderland and if he went to play in the USA for example, he'd be even more of a punt for that team. 

Going off topic tho. 

CloustonHMFC
1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

I think you’re rewriting history here....

It was actually Billy Stark who moved PH from the wing into a central midfield role whilst at St Johnstone.

It was his performances in that position that caught CL’s attention and he signed him on a pre contract agreement.

However.....

CL inexplicably decided to move PH back out to the wing and he struggled to impress. It was only when he moved back into the middle of the pitch he recaptured his form.

Somehow I think he was talking about Peter Haring and not Paul Hartley. 

Robbo-Jambo
47 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Aye, Gordon could be that guy. 

There is a distinct possibility that Craig Gordon will be the man with the number one shirt on for us next season. 

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

There is a distinct possibility that Craig Gordon will be the man with the number one shirt on for us next season. 

Could you convert 'distinct possibility', into a percentage or fraction so it's easier to throw back in your face at a later date?

Robbo-Jambo
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Current options are:

Uche

Naismith (hopefully)

Keena

Wighton

MacLean

McLean won't feature much next year and Wighton will probably go on loan. 

That leaves Uche Keena and Naismith who will probably not be used as an out and out striker. 

Two new strikers coming in. 

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

Could you convert 'distinct possibility', into a percentage or fraction so it's easier to throw back in your face at a later date?

:lol:

Mr Elwood P
6 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

That leaves Uche Keena and Naismith who will probably not be used as an out and out striker. 

MacLean ahead of Keena and Wighton just now I would say. Expect him to contribute a fair amount but age and competition for places will be against him.

Edited by Mr Elwood P

tartofmidlothian
9 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

You sound ITK to me. Is he ITK?

Robbo-Jambo

You can throw it back in my face if you want if it doesn't happen. 

That wouldn't exactly devestate me. 

Only saying what I have heard from a family member of his who I happen to know. 

Percentage wise I wouldn't know and not going to pull out a figure from thin air just for the sake of it. 

A distinct possibility was the wording of the person that told me so I will stick with that same statement. 

Mr Elwood P
Just now, Robbo-Jambo said:

Percentage wise I wouldn't know and not going to pull out a figure from thin air just for the sake of it. 

A distinct possibility was the wording of the person that told me so I will stick with that same statement. 

Joke. Head. Over.

Robbo-Jambo
10 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

You sound ITK to me. Is he ITK?

Is who in the know in your second sentence? 

Think he was just making a light hearted reference to the dog’s abuse a certain ITK poster from up north gets, for using a percentage to describe the possibility of a player signing. ?

Robbo-Jambo
3 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Think he was just making a light hearted reference to the dog’s abuse a certain ITK poster from up north gets, for using a percentage to describe the possibility of a player signing. ?

Yeah was aware of that. It was a light hearted response. ?

Mr Elwood P
5 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Correct. 

Robbo-Jambo

Correct. 

My response was meant to be light hearted because I knew who and what you meant about percentages. 

Maybe it didn't come across that way by my wording. Apologies. 

Robbo-Jambo
14 minutes ago, Cheile said:

Is anyone really ITK?

Not me. Just passing on some info I was told. 

Maroon Sailor

Craig Gordon ending up at Hearts this summer wouldn't be the biggest surprise in the world 

He's better than what we've got just now

Gordon would be an improvement and Bobby is good back up. That would certainly improve our defence. 

GK - Gordon, Bobby, Mason

RB - Smith, Brandon, Godinho

CB - Berra, Souttar, Halkett, Dikamona

LB - Garuccio, White, Hickey

Thats a ****ing defence. Keen to see a back 3 of Halkett Berra & Souttar. Not totally convinced with our LB options, but White has played at a high level and if he can recover we've got a great player on our hands. Hickey looks the real deal and even playing a bit part role next season will be great.

Arthur Morgan
2 hours ago, OTT said:

Gordon would be an improvement and Bobby is good back up. That would certainly improve our defence. 

Thats a ****ing defence. Keen to see a back 3 of Halkett Berra & Souttar. Not totally convinced with our LB options, but White has played at a high level and if he can recover we've got a great player on our hands. Hickey looks the real deal and even playing a bit part role next season will be great.

Brandon is horrific, Godinho ok but not much better.

5 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Shankland is in no way a punt, a punt is generally a complete unkown player. 

Shankland is exactly what we should be after, a young goal scorer who was exceptional in the league below, as a club we can't go on much else. 

Can he step up- mentality, quality and fitness wise? No body knows until he steps up.... 

Imo he's a punt.  Like Reilly was a punt.

Personally I'll be happy if we do sign him.  Unlike most of my own punts, he's a good punt.  The fact that we've forgotten how to score will be attractive to him.  Very good chance of game time.

StevenNaismith
8 hours ago, Inch Hearts said:

We offered him a contract last season.  He declined and stayed with Ayr to play first team (the irony when he was better than anything we had last season). The boy has it.  

That’s not true.

Generic Username
1 hour ago, StevenNaismith said:

That’s not true.

A bit like your patter here wasn't true;

5 hours ago, OTT said:

It certainly is. I count 13 defenders and I’m sure we’re only allowed to play with 11. Anyway we could try and start with 13 seeing as we’ve had Martin, Sammon and Vanacek who were invisible when they played, and we might get away with it. My prediction for next season, we won’t concede any goals, especially with 3 keepers. Will take 38 games winning 1-0 and finally get the 86 monkey off our back ?