letsalldothebeattie

Lawrence Shankland contact (not) made

JamboAl
20 hours ago, mitch41 said:

We have lost too much money and faith in our management on gambles and mistakes. We need Craig Levein to be in a position where he has the funds that doesn't have him gambling because this season coming we want everyone producing a product on the pitch that has our fans raving about our team.

Mitch, just as an "in fun" exercise can you name two or three players you would like/need and let us know if he has the funds.

mitch41
1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Mitch, just as an "in fun" exercise can you name two or three players you would like/need and let us know if he has the funds.

Ok i’ll have a wee think about that.

moonraker
18 hours ago, Dayman said:

Yeah I think I probably missed the “big unit” category entirely 😂. Target man I suppose?! Something along those lines would be the last category. 

Jimmy Bone, Sandy Clarke, Jim Hamilton, Mark de Vries types?

Gav M
12 minutes ago, moonraker said:

Jimmy Bone, Sandy Clarke, Jim Hamilton, Mark de Vries types?

Kevin kyle

Spellczech
7 hours ago, JamboAl said:

This should be fun! It took some pushing but eventually he stated he wanted Tommy Wright or Alan Archibald as a Levein replacement...

JamboAl
1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

This should be fun! It took some pushing but eventually he stated he wanted Tommy Wright or Alan Archibald as a Levein replacement...

It's a long think for someone who has all the answers.

OTT

Very disappointed we've not at least tried to make contact with him. Our signing policy frustrates the life out of me at times. We're quite happy to throw money away on complete shite but a quality young lad is on our ****ing doorstep and we've not even spoken to him? 

We've been signing big lads that can't score goals. We need a change of tact here. 

gnasher75
9 minutes ago, OTT said:

Very disappointed we've not at least tried to make contact with him. Our signing policy frustrates the life out of me at times. We're quite happy to throw money away on complete shite but a quality young lad is on our ****ing doorstep and we've not even spoken to him? 

We've been signing big lads that can't score goals. We need a change of tact here. 

Couldn't agree more. I wanted us to sign him in January. What a difference that could have made. But maybe he is looking for big wages somewhere.

Des Lynam
8 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Have you gone on a scouting trip Mitch? 

Spellczech

Actually I'm trying to remember if he touted Wright and Archibald as a replacement for Levein, Cathro or Neilson...I don't suppose it matters. Pretty sure he's wanted rid of pretty much every Hearts manager....

i wish jj was my dad
7 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Actually I'm trying to remember if he touted Wright and Archibald as a replacement for Levein, Cathro or Neilson...I don't suppose it matters. Pretty sure he's wanted rid of pretty much every Hearts manager....

Good to know our wee pal has all the answers. 

Locky

Why would you not take a punt on this lad? He banged them in for fun in the Championship last season and is still fairly young.

CL is no stranger to taking risks, especially from the lower leagues, so find it pretty bizarre we wouldn't even take a punt on this lad. The last 'striker' we signed from Ayr wasn't half as prolific, and turned out not bad.

mitch41
20 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Have you gone on a scouting trip Mitch? 

Looking at the freed players available i’d have to get 22 of them for 4 days and have a close look at them. 

I’d give them a full physical check up and find out what they were like as men. I always thought what George 

Burley did when he had a look/trial against ‘Boro was a fab idea. To tell you the truth there are some very good 

players out there it must be great to have the best stadium, training facilities, medical backup ect to attract

good talent and the chance to live in the greatest city in the world just couldn’t be turned down unless you 

were a dumb ass.

portobellojambo1
1 hour ago, gnasher75 said:

Couldn't agree more. I wanted us to sign him in January. What a difference that could have made. But maybe he is looking for big wages somewhere.

I've not read back through the thread to see if it has gone off course at some point and I'm assuming the discussion is still about Shankland. From anything that I've read online about him the thing that seems to keep coming through is that wherever he ends up going game time is a lot more important to him than money.

Inch Hearts
50 minutes ago, Locky said:

Why would you not take a punt on this lad? He banged them in for fun in the Championship last season and is still fairly young.

CL is no stranger to taking risks, especially from the lower leagues, so find it pretty bizarre we wouldn't even take a punt on this lad. The last 'striker' we signed from Ayr wasn't half as prolific, and turned out not bad.

Probably costs too much and the other gambles have been shite to justify paying good money (signing fee and wages to the player) 

Newton51

Would take a punt but Sunderland been linked and will offer more money. Still on his holidays so deal won’t be happening any time soon. 

ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Wright and Archibald - the last two "next big things" before Clarke. As he's at Scotland I genuinely hope Clarke bucks the trend of "Next big things" in Scottish football management disappearing. Where is Owen Coyle these days? Or Stuart McCall, Eric Black, Mark McGhee...

Edited by ToqueJambo

Mikey1874

Prove it

JamboAl
3 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Looking at the freed players available i’d have to get 22 of them for 4 days and have a close look at them. 

I’d give them a full physical check up and find out what they were like as men. I always thought what George 

Burley did when he had a look/trial against ‘Boro was a fab idea. To tell you the truth there are some very good 

players out there it must be great to have the best stadium, training facilities, medical backup ect to attract

good talent and the chance to live in the greatest city in the world just couldn’t be turned down unless you 

were a dumb ass.

I think that was a brilliant idea funded by money we did not have.  Let's make the same financial mistakes agein!  There's a good idea.

Can you give us some idea now of these very good players out there just waiting to come to our wonderful city

Pans Jambo

Cant believe weve not spoken to a prolific goalscorer. Its as if we dont want a prolific goal scorer!

Mikey1874
Just now, Pans Jambo said:

Cant believe weve not spoken to a prolific goalscorer. Its as if we dont want a prolific goal scorer!

No evidence we haven't. 

Just the usual mix of guesswork and assuming paper report is correct

And of course multiplied by the negativity and agendas on here.. 

Smithee
On 20/06/2019 at 21:17, frankblack said:

Did we not sign Neil McCann and Jim Hamilton from Dundee when they were in the SPL?

I'm fairly sure they were in the first most of the 90s but I couldn't swear to it.

Pans Jambo
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

No evidence we haven't. 

Just the usual mix of guesswork and assuming paper report is correct

And of course multiplied by the negativity and agendas on here.. 

The thread title’s been changed though 🧐

Edited by Pans Jambo

ri Alban
6 hours ago, OTT said:

This is Craig biggest flaw, imo. He's never wrong, everyone else is.

Mr Elwood P

He will end up at Sunderland. Djoum will end up at Sunderland. Anybody else we’re sniffing around will end up at Sunderland.

mitch41
10 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I think that was a brilliant idea funded by money we did not have.  Let's make the same financial mistakes agein!  There's a good idea.

Can you give us some idea now of these very good players out there just waiting to come to our wonderful city

Oh ye of little faith. Try having a look at the the list of players from all over Europe who are available

and looking for a club. Having a trial would be a cost but imagine if we discovered one gem it would 

be worth it wouldn’t it.

clouston1992

He’ll end up at Sunderland, score one goal in the first 15 games and end up benched. The same folk who are screaming we should be doing everything we can will be on here saying we dodged a bullet and they can’t believe the club were even considering it. 

Edited by clouston1992

cosanostra

Surprised that no-one has pulled the trigger re signing this guy yet. 

Looks like a natural goal-scorer. 

I'd give him a chance if he'd come. A penalty box player with a good finish is something we lack.

jonnothejambo
8 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Surprised that no-one has pulled the trigger re signing this guy yet. 

Looks like a natural goal-scorer. 

I'd give him a chance if he'd come. A penalty box player with a good finish is something we lack.

He'll end up in Leith.

JamboAl
44 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Oh ye of little faith. Try having a look at the the list of players from all over Europe who are available

and looking for a club. Having a trial would be a cost but imagine if we discovered one gem it would 

be worth it wouldn’t it.

There's probably thousands more beyond Europe which should help you to name two ot three within our affordability range.

One gets the impression you're trying to avoid an answer but I know that's not true.

How many do you think we would need to bring over to find just one gem and why do imagine that gem is knocking around without bigger clubs knowing about them?

Mikey1874
4 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

He will end up at Sunderland. Djoum will end up at Sunderland. Anybody else we’re sniffing around will end up at Sunderland.

And Sunderland will stay in League One. Jack Ross back as St Mirren manager. 

Bridge of Djoum
On 21/06/2019 at 06:19, mitch41 said:

:rofl:

JackLadd
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

He'll end up in Leith.

Might well do, but remember the boy El Bakhtaoui set the championship alight for a couple of seasons and flopped at Dundee. I think Shankland is better but there is no guarantee he'll be anything but a 10 goals a season forward.

Doc Rob
On 20/06/2019 at 21:17, frankblack said:

Did we not sign Neil McCann and Jim Hamilton from Dundee when they were in the SPL?

I had to check, but no. We signed McCann in August 1996. Dundee were relegated from the Premier in 93/94 and didn’t make it back until 98/99.

maroonlegions
On 12/06/2019 at 10:09, Smithee said:

I'm not a fan but I'll be right behind him if he signs of course

You watch him every week then.🤔

Ronald Villiers
11 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

I had to check, but no. We signed McCann in August 1996. Dundee were relegated from the Premier in 93/94 and didn’t make it back until 98/99.

Yes, McCann, Fulton and Cameron all signed at the same time, August 1996.

Smithee
25 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

You watch him every week then.🤔

I saw him several times last season, or I'd have said I didn't really know him.

TheBigO

I spoke to a scout of another club about him a few months ago and he said the general feeling is he's at his level. Just lacks "something" to make you think he'd prosper higher up. Maybe a bit one paced/not enough grit.

You do wonder, given his goals, why no one has taken the plunge on him.

My gut is I'd rather we gave time to Keena.

Dino Velvet
3 hours ago, Ronald Villiers said:

Fulton was signed in 1995. 

GavK1012
3 hours ago, Ronald Villiers said:

Eh naw....Mickey signed in March 1996...back in the old transfer deadline before the run in...cup tied for SC Final me thinks....

#PayAttentionAtTheBack

😉

TheAntiHibee
On 22/06/2019 at 14:04, JackLadd said:

Might well do, but remember the boy El Bakhtaoui set the championship alight for a couple of seasons and flopped at Dundee. I think Shankland is better but there is no guarantee he'll be anything but a 10 goals a season forward.

El Bakhtaoui set league one alight with Dunfermline and not in the championship, he then signed for Dundee like you set and didn't prove to be anything special. Shankland has proven to be too good for the championship which can only mean one thing that the premiership is the only route worth taking.