• Maroon Sailor

• Mikey1874

• Lovecraft

• kila

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Portable Badger
16 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Also what I find really frustrating is the lack of criticism. It's obvious everyone has been given a message to talk up the women's game positively.

But if you are rightly going to give plaudits for the deft touches or impressive strikes etc you have to call it when it's poor as well.

Waxing lyrical about EVERYTHING and pouring faux praise over it all is counter productive to the women's game and a discourtesy to the genuine class moments.

This 

it is so obvious and it.detracts/demeans some of the genuinely good stuff that does warrant praise.  

John Findlay

Hope Solo has criticised when it's been warranted. She said the Japanese goalie could have done a lot better for the Scotland goal. Has criticised VAR and Scotland's tactics. Especially, against Japan. Some would say she's called it to straight at times.

Bazzas right boot

Folk moaning about the fact that the pundits don't moan/ criticise enough is a belter. 

JKB, never change. 

16 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Thing is, more and more VAR is looking like it will become a tool to root out poor officials as well as help get Most (key word) decisions correct. 

With offside it looks very helpful. 

With penalties, human error is still making a farce of some of the decisions. 

They need to review what is and what isn't reviewed by the VAR team as well. 

This, I think is key. 

I'd go with a tennis system. 

Each team gets three chances and loses one when wrong. 

The manager calls for the review, not the VAR team. 

Puts the focus on the teams to call it and not waste them. Actually takes pressure away from the ref and VAR team as they don't Intiate it. 

Offside has always been a black & white decision. There is nothing contentious about it except when the officials get it wrong. 

The problem with penalties is that they are now trying to make the rules prescriptive so that there is no subjectivity to the decision, but it is causing problems...I am sure Scotland would have taken the penalty v England, if they had then got the decision v Japan...but to lose out in both instances makes VAR look bad. Why was there no comment from FIFA about why the handball in the Japan game was one of: not reviewed at all; not referred back to the referee, or rejected. Someone at the SFA should have been demanding answers, and should have done this noisily and publicly.

38 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Offside has always been a black & white decision. There is nothing contentious about it except when the officials get it wrong. 

The problem with penalties is that they are now trying to make the rules prescriptive so that there is no subjectivity to the decision, but it is causing problems...I am sure Scotland would have taken the penalty v England, if they had then got the decision v Japan...but to lose out in both instances makes VAR look bad. Why was there no comment from FIFA about why the handball in the Japan game was one of: not reviewed at all; not referred back to the referee, or rejected. Someone at the SFA should have been demanding answers, and should have done this noisily and publicly.

Offside has changed with VAR. A finger or other small % of body in front is offside by VAR so what could be assessed as in line is no longer. 

16 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Offside has changed with VAR. A finger or other small % of body in front is offside by VAR so what could be assessed as in line is no longer. 

Indeed but that is just because offside is objective and such a tight call is now possible, whereas when it was only the on-field officials making the call they had to be given some leeway so benefit of the doubt was given to the attacker...

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Is that right? I thought it was any part of the body that you can legally score a goal with which wouldn't include a finger obviously.

16 minutes ago, graygo said:

Is that right? I thought it was any part of the body that you can legally score a goal with which wouldn't include a finger obviously.

Maybe

Just some of the recent decisions seems to be any part of body over line which they draw on screen 

3 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Folk moaning about the fact that the pundits don't moan/ criticise enough is a belter. 

JKB, never change. 

It seems that if anyone does moan, everyone jumps doon their throats. A bit like JKB's Don't you dare brigade.

1 hour ago, graygo said:

You're right I think. It has to be part of the body you can score with.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

It seems that if anyone does moan, everyone jumps doon their throats. A bit like JKB's Don't you dare brigade.

You mean there's folk moaning about the folk moaning about folk not moaning enough. 

In fact, there's folk moaning about the folk that are  moaning about the folk moaning about the folk not moaning enough. 

:scenes:

Watching the Germany game. 

It's not that I am not enjoying it but I've laughed way too many times at the lack of quality. 

It really is absolutely dire.

40 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

If Spain and China stays 0-0 they both qualify with Germany as group winners. Wonder if they know. 

So China qualify as one of best 3rd place with 4 points. As in 2 groups best they can get is 3 points. 

4 minutes ago, GYL said:

Does that mean Scotland cant get a best 3rd place spot now?

A victory should be enough for Shelley Kerr's tournament debutants to clinch one of the best third-placed spots, unless all of the following happen:

• Norway, Nigeria, Brazil and Australia all avoid defeat;
  • Spain and China draw in their Group B meeting;
  • Cameroon and New Zealand's game ends with one team winning by two goals more than Scotland beat Argentina by, or Chile beat Thailand by five goals more than the Scots' result.

But if Scotland win and finish with a better goal difference than any winners from the meetings of the strugglers in Groups E and F, they will reach the knockout stages for the first time, regardless of results in Groups A to C.

Saint Jambo

Watching the South Korea - Norway game. Couple of interesting things.

1. New drop ball rule - First time I've seen it and looks a good improvement. Norway defender injured in her own box as the ball is cleared. South Korea gather mid-way inside Norway half. Ref stops play. In the past the ball would have almost certainly have been returned to one of the goalies, disadvantaging South Korean. Instead it is dropped at the Korean's feet and they go on the attack. Key differences to a free-kick are that the other team doesn't have to retreat as far and the player who recieves the drp ball can take more than one touch. Happened again a couple of minutes later and Norway were more organised, forcing Korea to work the ball back the way.

2. South Korea had a free-kick outside the box and one of the Korean's stood behind the ball, getting the same perspective as the striker, and helped the goalkeeper line the wall up. Not a stupid idea and not one I can remember seeing before.

Can't believe there's still a chance of qualifying after losing the first two, hopefully lessons learned and a positive result against Argentina who are stinking but look pretty resilient.

21 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Watching the South Korea - Norway game. Couple of interesting things.

1. New drop ball rule - First time I've seen it and looks a good improvement. Norway defender injured in her own box as the ball is cleared. South Korea gather mid-way inside Norway half. Ref stops play. In the past the ball would have almost certainly have been returned to one of the goalies, disadvantaging South Korean. Instead it is dropped at the Korean's feet and they go on the attack. Key differences to a free-kick are that the other team doesn't have to retreat as far and the player who recieves the drp ball can take more than one touch. Happened again a couple of minutes later and Norway were more organised, forcing Korea to work the ball back the way.

2. South Korea had a free-kick outside the box and one of the Korean's stood behind the ball, getting the same perspective as the striker, and helped the goalkeeper line the wall up. Not a stupid idea and not one I can remember seeing before.

I'm struggling with that one, is it maybe a typo and you meant a Norwegian stood behind the ball?

ps, Scotland could do with a French goal.

Edited by graygo

All roads lead to Gorgie

I was enjoying this tournament for the lack of drums. Not anymore it seems ?

Saint Jambo
6 minutes ago, graygo said:

I'm struggling with that one, is it maybe a typo and you meant a Norwegian stood behind the ball?

ps, Scotland could do with a French goal.

Yes. I meant a Norwegian stood behind the ball to get the striker's perspective.

8 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Yes. I meant a Norwegian stood behind the ball to get the striker's perspective.

Yeah that is a good idea, don't recall seeing that before

Attackers no longer allowed to be in or interfere with the wall either 

Edited by kila

Penalty miss by France OG player 

But VAR says retake as keeper moved off line 

Edited by Mikey1874

Bazzas right boot

VAR is quality sometimes.

Imagine If the pk in the 2-1 semi v Celtic went to that.

It would be like celebrating 2 goals.

France miss a penalty, outside of post.

Wtf VAR penalty being retaken :laugh:

Goalkeeper off her line, and got booked for it! ****, what if the goalkeeper does it again! Red card! Must be so hard.

Nigeria starting to lose the plot on the pitch though, definitely another red in this :D

Just now, Olly Lee's left boot said:

VAR is quality sometimes.

Imagine If the pk in the 2-1 semi v Celtic went to that.

It would be like celebrating 2 goals.

If that had went to var we wouldn't have been celebrating anything I'm afraid.

Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting for a minute that it shouldn't have been given just that it wouldn't.

Bazzas right boot

about time they clamped done on that from keepers at Pk's

Really annoys me

Bazzas right boot
Just now, graygo said:

If that had went to var we wouldn't have been celebrating anything I'm afraid.

Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting for a minute that it shouldn't have been given just that it wouldn't.

Strange thing to say, considering the ref gave it. 

In fact, it would have been to make it 2-0, Celtics goal would not have stood.

Ferryjambo99
1 minute ago, kila said:

New rule, keepers have to stand still until ball kicked too right? Ridiculous

No, they must keep at least one foot on the line. New rules are actually more lenient on keepers than the current ones

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, kila said:

New rule, keepers have to stand still until ball kicked too right? Ridiculous

Nah, goalies have been rushing of their line far too much and fast, you are meant to stay on the line. It's a good thing to enforce.

Keepers have  been narrowing the angle far too often for too long imo.

The yellow card was a bit harsh tho , it was a split second.

1 minute ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Strange thing to say, considering the ref gave it. 

In fact, it would have been to make it 2-0, Celtics goal would not have stood.

Strange? It's Celtic we are talking about. The pressure on the referee from the var would be too much for him.

Actually, I get your point.

Lets hope Scotland never stump up the cash to install VAR...ruining football with ridiculous technicalities. Men in suits making up random rules to sanitise football.

The penalty retake is scandalous...hard enough for a keeper to save a penalty, now they have to stay rooted to the spot. The French player missed the target FFS, nothing to do with the keeper being few cm off her line.

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Strange? It's Celtic we are talking about. The pressure on the referee from the var would be too much for him.

Actually, I get your point.

VAR maybe in Champions League for Celtic. Not in Scotland. 

Footballfirst

It was a very tight call, but to me it was so close it had to be a "home team" VAR decision, i.e. the Nigerians wouldn't have got a retake.

image.jpeg.6395e5a45a59ae808ea0653c7090f48f.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It was a very tight call, but to me it was so close it had to be a "home team" VAR decision, i.e. the Nigerians wouldn't have got a retake.

That's ridiculous.

Edit: Unless that's her on her way back to the line after coming further out.

Edited by graygo

So Nigeria are third on 3 points minus 2 goals

Scotland win they are on 3 points minus 1 goal at worse

The penalty decision  benefits Scotland. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

So Nigeria are third on 3 points minus 2 goals

Scotland win they are on 3 points minus 1 goal at worse

The penalty decision  benefits Scotland. 

If Scotland qualify then I hope Nigeria do as well after that.

Scuppered by VAR twice. That pen should only have been retaken if the goalie saved it imo and even that would still have been harsh.

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

There are three French players encroaching by at least as far as the keeper is off the line!

If someone had run in and scored from the rebound would VAR have acted on that. Host nation, not so sure!