• Mikey1874

• Lovecraft

• kila

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Barack said:

Shaun Lawson, everyone....

Screenshot_20190614-180708_Chrome.jpg

Surely that is enough to get that idiot banned from here at last. The guy is a Walter Mitty character, probably living in his mummies spare room while spouting shite all over the internet. 

3 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Surely that is enough to get that idiot banned from here at last. The guy is a Walter Mitty character, probably living in his mummies spare room while spouting shite all over the internet. 

Brings great debate and is a well respected poster allegedly. 

Just now, RudiHMFC said:

Aren't Scotland screwed if Argentina win?

No

Scotland then can knock England out on goal difference 

Maroon Sailor
7 minutes ago, XB52 said:

For dickhead Scotland fans read members on this thread - that's where he got his skag for that tweet

Surely Lieson should get emptied for being an unmasked wrong 'un.    Has anyone checked the forum's bank accounts?

20 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

No

Scotland then can knock England out on goal difference 

I'm sure I read that they would knock us out on the head to head rather than goal difference.

I feel we are unlikely to beat Argentina anyway so I may revert to hoping England lose

Edited by Taffin

3fingersreid
45 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Are you really that clued up to judge the women's team and the opposition.?

For starters, they are in a wc. That should be enough to avoid comparison with the mens. 

They have played the equivalent of Portugal and maybe Spain (not sure of rankings, cba checking) and got beat by a single goal. 

In the Premier tournament. 

The mens team beat Cyprus 2-1, in between shipping 6 goals v two team in qualifying. 

The situations are not even comparable and I'm not sure too many on here can judge the overall quality of the teams on show atm tbh and give an accurate tactical approach that should be taken in each game. 

its how I see it , I’m not really fussed about the men’s team tbh lost interest in them around the Roxburgh /brown era , however in both games we went behind then had a go and we made England look poor and had a decent chance of getting a draw from today’s game . 

I wouldn’t say I’m overly clued up , but I have read about the poor form the Japanese have been in leading up to the game and I get snippets of info from my daughter . She’s already got it bang on with the wrong keeper playing imo. 

Dont take my previous post as a dig at women’s football , far from it , I just prefer to see the team I’m supporting being braver that’s all . 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

its how I see it , I’m not really fussed about the men’s team tbh lost interest in them around the Roxburgh /brown era , however in both games we went behind then had a go and we made England look poor and had a decent chance of getting a draw from today’s game . 

I wouldn’t say I’m overly clued up , but I have read about the poor form the Japanese have been in leading up to the game and I get snippets of info from my daughter . She’s already got it bang on with the wrong keeper playing imo. 

Dont take my previous post as a dig at women’s football , far from it , I just prefer to see the team I’m supporting being braver that’s all . 

fair doos but I hear this a lot.

Have a go, press, why not, blah?

Clearly football is not as easy as that or every team would just do it

When a team is two goals up, sometimes they stop going forward as much and concede space to the other team, therefor the other team gets more of the ball. It's as much to do with the other team as it is us.

The game pattern is fluid and having a go in no way guarantees success, in fact you can get embarrassed and the result can get away from you before you even had a chance.

The better teams usually dictate play, simply because they have better players individually. My limited knowledge has England and Japan a fair bit above Scotland just now.

Not convinced there is enough knowledge on this board to criticise the tactics and say with any certainty that being more attacking would have wielded a more positive result as opposed to an absolute  drubbing or a worse result.

I like my teams to be brave and attacking as well, but usually I have a little knowledge to base that on, not a dig, just seems a lot of folk seem to have an opinion on what we should be doing but most probably watched their first Woman's games this week. I find that entertaining.

Enjoy the rest of the games tho!

12 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I've had our keeper down as our best player in both matches. 

Yes she might have done better with the first goal but most women keepers won't save that.

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

When a team is two goals up, sometimes they stop going forward as much and concede space to the other team, therefor the other team gets more of the ball. It's as much to do with the other team as it is us.

The game pattern is fluid and having a go in no way guarantees success, in fact you can get embarrassed and the result can get away from you before you even had a chance.

The better teams usually dictate play, simply because they have better players individually. My limited knowledge has England and Japan a fair bit above Scotland just now.

Not convinced there is enough knowledge on this board to criticise the tactics and say with any certainty that being more attacking would have wielded a more positive result as opposed to an absolute  drubbing or a worse result.

I like my teams to be brave and attacking as well, but usually I have a little knowledge to base that on, not a dig, just seems a lot of folk seem to have an opinion on what we should be doing but most probably watched their first Woman's games this week. I find that entertaining.

People are having an opinion because they are watching a football match.

Just because it's women playing doesn't stop people who follow football having an opinion.

Everybody was surprised Emslie didn't start. You don't have to be an expert to think that after watching the previous match.

6 minutes ago, graygo said:

Yes she might have done better with the first goal but most women keepers won't save that.

Yeh, agree. She's made some really good saves.

Should have saved the first today though really but has more than made up for it with other ones.

3fingersreid
6 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

I will do ??

Too many unforced errors from Scotland. It's more common to see in the women's game I feel, but still far too many from Scotland. Poor 1st touches, poor decision making. Players let themselves down. 

9 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Yeh, agree. She's made some really good saves.

Should have saved the first today though really but has more than made up for it with other ones.

Perhaps  but then her defender, Beattie, who is a big girl, absolutely chickened her block, dodged the ball and only blocked  the line of sight of her own GK 

2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Perhaps  but then her defender, Beattie, who is a big girl, absolutely chickened her block, dodged the ball and only blocked  the line of sight of her own GK 

Yeh don't disagree with that. Our defence is shambolic which really doesn't help the keeper.

Bazzas right boot
45 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

People are having an opinion because they are watching a football match.

Just because it's women playing doesn't stop people who follow football having an opinion.

Everybody was surprised Emslie didn't start. You don't have to be an expert to think that after watching the previous match.

It was more about the "have a go" and attack crowd, with little or no context on each teams strengths and weaknesses,  experience, form, style, injuries etc as well as the overall quality of the sides involved. 

For example I wouldn't think A Madrid  having a go at Barcelona was the best way for them to win as I have context in what both teams are good at and style of play. If I had no context  I might end up saying why does the stripy team not have a go, push forward, get a higher line, why they letting Barca have the ball and sitting deep, etc  and I'd be wrong.

Probably a symptom of hearing it on here a lot as posters  bang on about pressing, attacking, having a go etc  being the solution to everything and that it can't seemingly  go wrong rather than folk having an opinion ( informed or otherwise) on here tho.

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Mr Elwood P
40 minutes ago, kila said:

**** off

That aimed at women’s football in general or a particular game? Gave it 10 minutes just now. Carlos Tevez’ twin sister came on for Argentina. That was the highlight of the 10 mins. Think the England centre backs must have been studying footage of big Christophe. Diagonal hoof straight out the park, three times in a row. Only difference being none of the England girls can head a Lothian Bus into outer space and they definitely aren’t as tidy as Berra. Never watched Scotland women play but pretty sure they’re not going to beat Argentina.

Edited by Mr Elwood P

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

That aimed at women’s football in general or a particular game? Gave it 10 minutes just now. Carlos Tevez’ twin sister came on for Argentina. That was the highlight of the 10 mins. Think the England centre backs must have been studying footage of big Christophe. Diagonal hoof straight out the park, three times in a row. Only difference being none of the England girls can head a Lothian Bus into outer space and they definitely aren’t as tidy as Berra. Never watched Scotland women play but pretty sure they’re not going to beat Argentina.

When England scored ;)

6 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

It was more about the "have a go" and attack crowd, with little or no context on each teams strengths and weaknesses,  experience, form, style, injuries etc as well as the overall quality of the sides involved. 

For example I wouldn't think A Madrid  having a go at Barcelona was the best way for them to win as I have context in what both teams are good at and style of play. If I had no context  I might end up saying why does the stripy team not have a go, push forward, get a higher line, why they letting Barca have the ball and sitting deep, etc  and I'd be wrong.

Probably a symptom of hearing it on here a lot as posters  bang on about pressing, attacking, having a go etc  being the solution to everything and that it can't seemingly  go wrong rather than folk having an opinion ( informed or otherwise) on here tho.

Atletico's strength is their defence though. Teams that struggle to defend coherently but have good attacking players generally are better served having a go as eventually their defence will make a mistake and they'll lose anyway. 

The women's argentinian team are a good example of that. They've nothing up top so sitting deep and keeping it tight has seen them take a point against Japan and only concede one against England. Scotland look quite good when going forward but a total bombscare at the back, therefore defensive tactics seem an odd choice for us. 

I agree with you though, it's not as simple as always saying it's better to press and attack but on this thread and on the topic of the Scotland ladies team I find it hard to disagree with folk saying a more attacking gameplan with a higher line would probably help, it's something Hope Solo said as well.

Brighton Jambo

I don’t care in the slightest that the standard isn’t the equivalent of men’s football.  In the absence of club football I am just enjoying watching a World Cup game on a Friday night that I have an interest in.  Glass of nice red and an England win, what’s not to like.  

P.s hope Scotland qualify too.

Mr Elwood P
4 minutes ago, kila said:

When England scored ;)

That I can get behind. Happy to see England lose at anything and everything. 

11 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

I understand you, but the Scottish women's team's weakness looks to be at the back. They've been very fortunate to only concede 2 in each of their games so far. Their strength appears to be up front and in midfield, yet they are using the midfield to try to protect the defence. If that is the plan then they may as well not bother with a striker in the first half and just play an extra midfielder or defender...then bring on strikers at half-time. Perhaps Levein had it right as Scotland boss in Prague?

jack D and coke
4 hours ago, kila said:

Is that before or after the ball hits her arm? :laugh:

Do you have nothing better to do in life than troll online?

giphy.mp4

I didn’t see this game but that is a clear penalty. VAR didn’t pick this up? That is an outrage :lol: 

Edited by jack D and coke

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Atletico's strength is their defence though. Teams that struggle to defend coherently but have good attacking players generally are better served having a go as eventually their defence will make a mistake and they'll lose anyway. 

The women's argentinian team are a good example of that. They've nothing up top so sitting deep and keeping it tight has seen them take a point against Japan and only concede one against England. Scotland look quite good when going forward but a total bombscare at the back, therefore defensive tactics seem an odd choice for us. 

I agree with you though, it's not as simple as always saying it's better to press and attack but on this thread and on the topic of the Scotland ladies team I find it hard to disagree with folk saying a more attacking gameplan with a higher line would probably help, it's something Hope Solo said as well.

I generally agree, it's probably just a symptom of me being sick of reading folks answer to everything being, have a go, press and attack like it's that easy. 

3fingersreid
2 hours ago, graygo said:

Not saying she hasn’t had some good moments I’m only going on what I’ve seen when watching them for their club teams . 

The women have got to be brave against Argentina , brave but not reckless, 

shaun.lawson

England are crap, deserve to fail and hopefully will fail. There are complicated reasons which I won't go into why I write 'hopefully' there. And when England fail, I don't think it'll be a narrow exit. I think it'll be a complete thrashing by good technical opponents.

I love the England men's side, for all their recent calamities, because they're likeable and humble. I can't stand this England's women's side because they're anything but. They think they're special. They're not in any way. And nemesis is lurking.

shaun.lawson
5 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

The women have got to be brave against Argentina , brave but not reckless, 

Whenever Scotland have got on the front foot - which hasn't been anywhere near often enough - they've looked very good. No reason why they can't do that throughout against enormously under-resourced opponents who, however heroic their story is, get a nosebleed whenever they cross the halfway line.

At Euro 92, the CIS held Holland and almost beat Germany. Yet Scotland produced arguably their greatest ever major tournament performance in hammering them. I see the Argentina game a bit like that. I hope you go through. All the team has to do is believe in itself and not leave things to the vagaries of referees and VAR.

9 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

You talk too much.

3fingersreid
3 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Whenever Scotland have got on the front foot - which hasn't been anywhere near often enough - they've looked very good. No reason why they can't do that throughout against enormously under-resourced opponents who, however heroic their story is, get a nosebleed whenever they cross the halfway line.

At Euro 92, the CIS held Holland and almost beat Germany. Yet Scotland produced arguably their greatest ever major tournament performance in hammering them. I see the Argentina game a bit like that. I hope you go through. All the team has to do is believe in itself and not leave things to the vagaries of referees and VAR.

Scotland qualified by playing an attacking ,albeit not reckless style of football . I really just want them to believe in themselves and do themselves proud . 

I think those who have watched the women play the last two games and have watched with an open mind , will probably have been pleasantly surprised by some of the football played . If Scotland play as they can , the audience will be even more surprised in what the women can achieve . 

I think nerves understandably have gotten to them but they still have a chance and I hope they give it their all and if it’s time to come home , they do so with their heads held high and with the praise of the fans in their ears . 

Come on Scotland , believe in yourselves ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

Scotland qualified by playing an attacking ,albeit not reckless style of football . I really just want them to believe in themselves and do themselves proud . 

I think those who have watched the women play the last two games and have watched with an open mind , will probably have been pleasantly surprised by some of the football played . If Scotland play as they can , the audience will be even more surprised in what the women can achieve . 

I think nerves understandably have gotten to them but they still have a chance and I hope they give it their all and if it’s time to come home , they do so with their heads held high and with the praise of the fans in their ears . 

Come on Scotland , believe in yourselves ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Agreed they've been beaten by the rankings, reputations and hype of their first 2 opponents. Not good enough to start playing only once you are 2-0 down and the game is lost. They've taken on the plucky failures mantle bigtime...They are far too humble in defeat and the excuses about being unlucky are weak. They haven't got a winners' mentality and it shows.

Maroon Sailor
17 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

@shaun.lawson Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

That's the kind of tweet a dickhead would send

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

You talk too much.

Write/ post. 

Not talk. 

1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

I was quite optimistic after watching their warm up games tbh, they've certainly adopted a more cautious approach in the tournament though, almost unrecognisable to how they were in the lead up, I think they've shown both their opponents so far too much respect as when the shackles have came off they've looked far better, but in both games that has came too late.

They need to start the number 18 Emslie, she gets stuck in and has the pace and physical advantage over most of the other women.

Maroon Sailor

Big wins for Holland, Canada, Sweden and USA over the weekend would be ideal for Scotland's chances.